人教课标版 高二必修 5 Unit 3
Important Words & Phrases
Important words and phrases.
1. What changes do you expect to see in your life in one thousand years’ time. 一千年之后你料想会发生什么变化。
expect (sb.) to do sth.
I expect to be back within a week. I didn’t expect him to stay so long. hope to do something 希望做某事
Joan’s hoping to study law at Harvard.
wish to do something 希望做某事 I wish to make a complaint. wish somebody something 希望某人… We wish them every happiness in their new home.
2. I still cannot believe that I am taking up this prize that I won last year. 我还是无法相信我是在接受去年获得 的这个奖励。
1. The student takes up his pen and writes to his father. 2. Playing basketball takes up much of my time. 3. Where did you take up football? 4. She took up his offer of a drink. 5. He is going to take up the story where he left off yesterday.
拿起 take up意思多变，意为“_____”（句1）、 开始从事 “_____”（句2）、“_________”（句 占去 接受 继续 3）、“_____”（句4）、“_____”(句5)。
从A、B、C、D中选出最佳选项。 1. The poor boy always helps his father even though going to school _____ most A of his day. A. takes up B. makes up C. saves up D. puts up 2. My old friend invited me to attend his wedding and I _____ the invitation. C A. takes up B. taking up C. took up D. to take up
office apart in it easy back down notes away aim 吸收，留宿 别着急 取下, 记下 就职 拆开 收回 瞄准
抓住 想当然的认为 拿出 注意 利用 采取措施做某事 深呼吸
it for granted
steps to do sth.
a deep breath
pride in one’s chance trouble to do sth. take over pity on sb. turns to do sth.
take up 拿起, 开始从事, 接纳, 占去,
sweep up 打扫，横扫
carry up 拿起，追溯，建高
speed up 加快速度
look up 查阅, 好转, 仰视, 看望 拼凑成
make up 弥补, 和解, 编造, 整理, 化妆,
3. I have to remind myself constantly
that I am really in AD 3008. 我得不断提醒自己, 我真的到了公 元3008年。
1) remind sb. of / about sth.
reminded her of college days. 使她回想起了大学里的日子 remind sb. to do sth. 提醒某人做某事 must remind him to call 必须让他记着打电话
往事” remember指“过去的事情仍在记忆中, 不 必费劲就能想起” recall 较 remember正式, 指“对自己或 他
2) constantly adv. 不断地 Fashion is constantly changing. 时尚总是日新月异。 Hea
t the sauce, stirring constantly. 加热调味汁并不停地搅动。
4. Worried about the journey, I was
unsettled for the first few days. 我很担心这次旅行, 所以头几天心里总 是不踏实。 worried about the journey 为过去分词 作状语, 在此处作原因状语。
worried adj. 焦虑的, 烦恼的, 担忧的; worrisome adj. 使人烦恼的,焦虑的 Actually, I’ve never had a worry as worrisome as the universe-destroying
5. As a result, I suffered from “time lag”. 结果我得了时间滞后症。 as a result (of): because of something that has happened
It snowed, as a result, she was late. 天下雪, 因此她迟到了。
【拓展】 result from 起因于…… result in 导致某事, 造成某事(=lead to) suffer from to experience (something unpleasant, such as an illness), especially over a long period of time or habitually
She suffers from headache. 她患头痛病。
suffer 意为遭受苦痛, 损失, 忍受侮辱等,其
宾语为pain, lose, grief, insult, punishment, wrong, hardship, injustice, discouragement, disappointment, setback, suffer from 遭受战争, 自然灾害带来的苦 难及患病之意
suffer from the war / the flood / a
遭受战争, 洪水之苦/患头病； suffer (from) cold and hunger 遭受寒冷和饥饿 【派】 suffering n. 痛苦,苦恼;劳苦,困难
6. This is similar to the “jet lag” you get
from flying, but it seems you keep
getting flashbacks from your
previous time period. 这种病有些像乘喷气式飞机高速飞行 时所引起的时差反应那样，所不同的 是,它意味着你的脑海里不停地从以 前的时间段一直往回闪去。
1) keep doing sth. 继续做某事
It kept raining for a week.
接连下了一星期雨。 辨析:keep doing sth. 与keep on doing sth. 这两个短语都表示每隔一段时间就 发生的动作, 这时可互换; keep doing sth. 强调动作的连续性和客观性, 而keep on doing sth.强调动作的重复性或动作执行 者的决心, 常含有一定的感情色彩;
keep doing sth. 还可以表示持续不间断
的状态和动作; 而keep on doing sth. 无
He kept on smoking after the doctor
told him to stop. 医生已经劝他戒烟, 可他仍继续抽烟。
keep away from 不接近; 避开
留在后面, 不上前; 隐瞒
keep out (of)
keep up keep up with
2) flashback 倒叙 The events in his happy family life were shown in flashback. 他幸福的家庭生活是用倒叙法来表 现的。 【拓展】flash back 追叙, 回想
7. At first my new surroundings were
difficult to tolerate.
开始的时候，新的环境让我难以忍受。 1) surrounding adj. 周围的
in surrounding area
surroundings n. 周围所有的事物，
thanks, regards, congratulations
surroundings —影响生活质量的, 某地\人 身边的一切事物 The house is situated in very pleasant surroundings. environment —人们所在的影响其感觉及 发展的物质、社会环境;自
new laws to prevent the pollution of the environment
2) tolerate 容忍；忍受
We simply cannot tolerate cheating in exams. 我们就是不能容许考试作弊行为。
I cannot tolerate her rudeness.
8. Hit by a lack of fresh air, my head ached.
1) 过去分词hit在句中作状语，表示与主 句中动作伴随发生的状况 hit: to have a bad effect on… 对……有不良的影响 How will the new law hit the unemployed?
hit 侧重指“击中”, 有时也指“打一 下”; strike 常指“猛地一击”。 “敲锣”要用strike; “打鼓”要用 beat; “敲门”要用knock; “钟敲几点” 要用strike; 比喻意思的“打击”要用 give (deal) a blow to sb.
1. She lacks money to buy new clothes. 2. Our football team has only ten members ― we lack one player. 3. She does not lack for friends. 4. Poor as he is, he still thinks that he lacks for nothing.
5. Our tour is cancelled for lack of bookings. 6. You are excellent, but we do have no lack of teachers. 7. Too many teachers are treated with a
lack of respect.
8. He is not lacking in confidence.
【自我归纳】 lack作___词，意为 缺少，短缺 动 “___________”, 常用搭配：lack sth. / sb.缺 乏……(句1、句2)；lack for缺(多用于否定句)(句 3)；lack (for) nothing是固定搭配，意为“没有 名 欠缺”(句4）。lack还可作___词, 意为 缺少，缺乏，不足 “_________________”，【常见搭配】 ______ lack of 因缺乏……(句5)；no lack (of)不缺乏……(句6)； a lack of 缺乏、短缺、匮乏(句7)。lacking是形 lacking in 容词，常用结构为：_________ 缺乏(某种品质、 特点等), 不够……（句8）。
用lack的适当形式填空。 lacking 1. Though _______ money, his parents managed to send him to university. lacking 2. If something that you need is _______, you can just come here and ask for some. 3. I can’t buy that book because of my lack of / lacking money. _______________ 4. He just _____ a little confidence for he lacks is often afraid that he may fail again. 5. He seems to be totally lacking in / lack of _______________ common sense.
He has an ache in his back. n.
His back aches/ is aching. v. My body was all aches and pains. n. My body ached all over. v. cure an ache 治好疼痛
suffer from an ache
10. I felt bet
ter in no time. 我立刻感到舒服多了。 in on time: very quickly 立刻;马上 They will be back in no time. 他们马上就会回来。
all the time 一直, 始终
at a time 依次, 逐一, 每次
at all times
at one time
behind the times 过时的, 落伍的
for the time being 暂且, 眼下 from time to time 不时, 偶尔, 间或
in good time no time to lose 不消多久 刻不容缓
11. I lost sight of Wang Ping when we reached what looked like a large market…. [lost sight of ]
阅读下列句子，观察lose sight of 的意思和用法。 1. Suddenly I lost sight of my father in the crowd. 2. Don’t try to walk in a heavy snowstorm as you may lose sight of the road ahead.
3. We must not lose sight of the fact that learning English is very important. 4. I have lost sight of my best school friend over the years.
【自我归纳】 看不见 lose sight of 意为“______”（句1、句2）、 失去联系 忽视 “_____”（句3）、“_________”(句4)。
catch sight of 望见，看到
in sight out of sight take sight 在视线内 看不见了 瞄准
set one’s sight 目标，想达到 within sight of 能看到（在眼前，快到）
翻译下列句子。 1. In the heat of the argument we mustn’t lose sight of our main purpose.
2. We must not lose sight of our
12. Then Wang Ping flashed a switch on a computer screen, and a table and some chairs rose from under the floor as if by magic. 【点拨】此句是由and连接的两个并列分 句。前一个分句的谓语是flashed，后一个 分句的谓语是rose。这里要注意的是flash 这个动词在此句中是及物动词，表示 “（使）闪现”。from under是两个介词 重叠使用，表示“从下面”。
如：“Now it’s OK,” said the mechanic
as he crawled out from under the car. “修
【仿写】 ______________________________ I found my pen from under the ____________ exercise book. 我从练习册下面找到了我的钢笔。
13. Have a class discussion and decide whether you think the writer has an optimistic or a pessimistic view of
adj. believe that good things will
happen in the future
The experts are optimistic that we will succeed. 那些专家们对我们的成功抱有乐观态度。
We should be optimistic about our life.
adj. expected that bad things will happen in the future or that a situation will have a bad result
There is no reason to be pessimistic about
14. Be prepared to join in a c
lass discussion. 一定准备好参加班级讨论。 join in 参加, 加入 She burst into song. Several passengers also joined in.
join in与take part in 都可以作“参加某项 活动”讲。 join 加入某个组织，并成为其中的一员； join in 参加小型的活动, join sb. in； take part in 参加大型的活动 He joined the army five years ago.
He joined us in the discussion.
Liu Xiang will take part in the 2008 Olympic.
Learning about Language
Find out the words and phrases in the passage according to the expressions:
1. to make use of (the prize)= to take up 2. to see = to catch sight of
3. to be unable to see = to lose sight of
4. You have travel led through many time
zones. So you feel very tired. The
feeling of this kind of tiredness is jet lag called _____.
5. all the time, very often = constantly 6. to make sb. remember sth. = remind 7. rapidly, quickly = swiftly 8. tired = exhausted
译成英语。 1. 她在1980年走上了教学岗位。(take up) She took up her teaching post in 1980. 2. 这个景色使她想起了她的家乡。 (remind ... of ...) The view reminded her of her hometown.
3. 大概过了10分钟，我就看不见那座桥 了。(lose sight of) About 10 minutes later, I lost sight of that bridge. 4. 他被留下来清扫那些碎玻璃。 (sweep up)
He was left to sweep up the broken glass.
(back on one’s feet)
He is back on his feet again after his operation. 6. 他们马上就会回来。(in no time) They will be back in no time.
(as though) She waved to me as though she knew me.
女子。(过去分词作后置定语) Suddenly there appeared a young
woman dressed in green.
9. 我恐惧地把信递给了他。 (过去分词作状语) Frightened, I handed the letter to him.
II. 用括号内所给词的适当形式填空。 1. They all felt ________ (settle) because unsettled there was no information about their
2. His request received a swift (swiftly) ____
3. I was deeply impressed (impression) by ________
4. Those poor children had never had
surroundings cheerful ____________ (surround).
5. When I was young, I always saw the
opening stars through the _______ (open) in the roof. 6. He talked _________ (constant) about constantly the football match which was just finished.
1. His mother thought he lacked
His mother thought he was lacking in ____________
/ was lack of ___________ confidence.
2. Most of the people invited to the
party were famous scientists. Most of the people ____ _____ ______ that were invited to the party were famous scientists. 3. No need to hurry — you’ve got enough time. No need to hur
ry — you’ve got _____ plenty _____ time. of
4. Offered great help, I can get rid of all the difficulty.
I am offered If ___________ great help, I can get
rid of all the difficulty.
5. The photo calls up the memory of my
The photo _____________ my reminds me of
6. Frightened, she asked me to go with
her. ________________________, Because she was frightened she asked me to go with her. 7. He became completely well after taking some pills. He was ______________ after taking back on his feet some pills.
8. Tired as he was, he went on working.
He went on working _____________ though he was
up 1. John took down art while at school. 2. A letter has been written to him, invites inviting him to the party. 3. The professor came into the classroom, followed following by his students. 4. Taking good care of, the old man is Taken living a happy life. 5. The man kept silent in the room unless spoken speaking to.
V. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形式。 1. Punishment seemed to make no impression (印象) on the child. ________ 2. We didn’t have the picnic because the weather was uncertain (无常的). _______ 3. The doctor told him to take two t_____ tablets of aspirin before every meal. 4. On the flight to New York, the ________ stewardess (女服务员) served us a hot meal.
5. The cattle got out of the field through an
o_______ in the fence. opening sideways 6. If we turn the chest ________ (侧着), I think we can get it through the door. 7. The ___________ (周围的) villages have surrounding been absorbed to the growing city. 8. He could not _______ (忍受) the tolerate
extremes of heat in the desert.
9. The buses were not going into town for carriage another half hour, so I hired a c_______ and went in myself. 10. The railway t________ shows the times timetable when the trains arrive and depart.
VI. 用适当的介词或副词填空。 1. Though I attended the school less than a year, a couple of teachers there made an impression ___ me. on on 2. The speech made a strong impression ____ the House. 3. Peter will take ___ the management of the up finance department. 4. Previous ___ 1981 there were no women on to the Supreme Court. 5. The book is an extremely useful guide ___ to starting your own business.
6. He guided the man through the streets to the _______
for 7. I haven’t finished the painting ____ lack of
8. He rose, his eyes still fastened ___ the piece of on
9. We are still optimistic about whatever the _____
result (may be).
10. A string of colored Christmas lights flashed _____ jewels. like
1. The little boy watched the plane go lost sight of higher and higher until he __________ it. (这个小男孩望着飞机越飞越高直到 看不见为止。) 2. His speech made a great impressio
n on _______________________ the audience. (他的演讲给观众留下了 很深的印象。)
slid into 3. She _______ the room without anyone noticed. (她溜进了房间竟没有人发现。)
4. He is good at his job but he seems to
_____________. lack confidence
5. He had studied Japanese for a year and took up a half before he _______ English. (他开始学习英语之前已经学了一年半