I’m more outgoing than my sister.
than 比 (conj .连词). Liu Xiang is tall. Pan Changjiang is short.
Liu Xiang is taller than Pan Changjiang. Pan Changjiang is shorter than Liu Xiang
The green box is small. The red box is big.
The red box is bigger than the green box. The green box is smaller that the red box.
The purple ruler is long. The blue ruler is short. The purple ruler is longer than the blue ruler. The blue ruler is shorter than the purple ruler.
Lin Xinru is thin.
Liu Yifei is thinner.
Liu Yifei is thinner than Lin Xinru.
Cheng Long is outgoing.
Li Yong is more outgoing.
Li Yong is more outgoing than Cheng long.
The women are fat.
The man and the woman are thin.
The women are fatter than the man and the woman.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? tall adj. short adj. long adj. short adj. thin adj. fat adj. heavy adj.
He is tall. He is a tall man.
? 高的 ? 矮的，短的 ? 长的 ? 短的 ? 瘦的，薄的 ? 肥胖的 ? 重的，胖的
? ? ? ? ? ? ? outgoing adj. quiet adj. calm adj. wild adj. serious adj. athletic adj. weak adj. ? 外向的，开朗的 ? 文静的 ? 沉着的，镇定的 ? 鲁莽的，任性的 ? 严肃的，庄重的 ? 强健的，擅长运动的 ? 体质弱的
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? tall long cold fast thick small strong hard new short wide fine late fat big thin red happy early easy heavy beautiful exciting interesting popular difficult useful important good far ill much bad many well
1. Sam has ______ (long) hair than Tom. longer calmer 2. Tom is ______ (calm) than Sam. taller 3. Tina is ______(tall) and wilder wild) _____( than Tara. shorter 4. Paul is ______ (short) and heavier ______(heavy) than Pedro. funnier 5. I’m _______(funny) than Tara. more serious 6. Tara is ____________( serious) than Tina.
7. Du Jiahao is _______________ more athletic (athletic) than others in Class 19. more outing 8. Mr Cheng is ____________(outgoing) than Miss Qu.
A: Is that Zhou Xingchi? B: No, it isn’t. It’s Yao Ming. He is taller than Zhou xingchi.
1a. Match each word with its opposite!
thin wild short hair heavy
long hair calm
1b. Listen and number the pairs of twins [1-3] in the picture.
A: Is that Sam?
B: No, that’s Tom. Sam has
longer hair than Tom.
C: Yes, and Tom’s calmer than Sam.
A: That’s Tara, isn’t it? B: No, it isn’t. It’s Tina. Tina is taller than Tara. And she’s also wilder.
A: Is that Paul?
B: No, that’s Pedro. Pedro’s
heavier than Paul. And
Paul’s shorter than Pedro.
No, it isn’t. It’s Tina. Tara’s shorter than Tina.
Is that Tara?
No, it isn’t. It’s Paul. Paul’s thinner than Pedro. Pedro’s taller than Paul.
Is that Pedro?
2a. Listen. Are the words in the box used with “-er/ier” or “more”? 方框中的单词带-er/ier 还是more 使用。
2b. Listen again. How are Tina and Tara different? Fill in the charts.
Tina is… funnier more outgoing more athletic
Tara is… more serious quieter smarter
Interviewer: Tina, do you think you
are different from Tara?
Tina: Oh, sure. We’re very different.
I’m funnier than Tara. And I’m more outgoing. Let’s see, what else? Oh, I’m more athletic, too.
Interviewer: So, Tara, are you more
serious than Tina? Tina: I guess so. I’m smarter than Tina. And I’m quieter.
Sam is smarter than Tom. Sam is taller than Tom. Sam is funnier than Tom Tom is more athletic than Sam. Tom is thinner than Sam. Tom is quieter than Sam.
Is Tom smarter than Sam?
No, it isn’t.
3a.Read the article. Write “T”, “F”
or “DK” (for don’t know).
1. Liu Li has more than one sister. DK 2. Liu Li and Liu Ying have some things in common. T 3. Liu Ying is not as good at sports as her sister. F 4. Liu Ying talks more than Liu Li. T 5. Liu Ying’s favorite subject is physics. F 6. Both girls go to lots of parties. DK
This is Mr Green’s family. That is Mr Smith’s
family. Mr Green is heavier than Mr Smith.
4. The Same and Different
We’re both girls.
We both have black hair. We both like sports. …
I’m taller than she is.
My hair is shorter than hers. She is more athletic than me. …
1. …in some ways we look the same, and
in some ways we look different.
look the same 看上去一样
look alike in a way
2. We both have black eyes and black
hair, although my hair is shorter than
1) both“两个、两者都??”, 在句中 可作代词、形容词、副词、连词。 作副词时常放在be动词之后, 实义 动词之前。
e.g. Both (of) his parents are doctors.
=His parents are both doctors.
They both went camping in the holiday.
Both English and math are very important.
(both …and…短语常连接两个并列的成分, 可连接名词、动词、形容词和代词等)
注: both指两者都, all指三者或三者以上都。
2) although与though常可互换, 表 “虽然、即使、尽管”, 都不能与but
遍。此外though可作副词, 在句尾表 “然而”, although不能。
固定短语 even though 表示“即使、
纵然”, 不能用even although. 如:
There are some differences, though.
3. She has more than one sister .
她不止有一个姐姐。 They have some things in common. (in common 共通/同的)
some thing 某一个事物
some things 一些事物
4. Liu Ying is not as good at sports
as her sister.
1) as…as…同级比较, 两个“as”之间
必须使用形容词或副词原级。 意为“如同??一样??”, not as / so …as “不如??一样??”
e.g. He runs as quickly as his father. The watermelon is as big as a soccer ball. She doesn’t study so / as hard as
her brother (does).
2) be good at sth. / doing sth.
e.g. They are good at playing badminton.
I am not good at painting.
Who is good at computer in your class?
eg. good / well – better – best
bad / badly – worse – worst
many / much – more – most
little – less – least far – farther / further – farthest/ furthest
一般在词尾后加-er 或-est. 如：
cold – colder – coldest
nice — nicer – nicest
时, 先双写这个辅音字母, 再加-er或-est。
如: big – bigger – biggest
thin – thinner – thinnest
3) 以“辅音字母+ y”结尾的双音节词，
easy – easier – easiest
happy – happier – happiest
4) 多音节词和部分双音节词在词 前加more或most。如： delicious – more delicious – most delicious interesting – more interesting – most interesting
1.比较级表示两者 (人或事物) 的比较。 eg. I am taller than Tom. My dress is more beautiful than hers.
2. 最高级表示三者或三者以上 (人或
事物 ) 的比较, 其中有一个在某一方面 超过其他几个时, 用最高级。最高级 的前面一般要加定冠词 the, 后面可 带 of ( in )短语来说明比较的范围。
She is the youngest in the class.
Jason is the tallest of the three. Whose handwriting is the best of all?
still, a little来修饰, 表示“??的多”, This city is much more beautiful than
before. She’s a little more outgoing than me. It’s a little colder today.
“甚至??”, “更??”, “??一些”
越??” 。多音节比较级用“more and
It’s getting worse and worse.
The group became more and more
5. “Which / Who is + 比较级…？”
Which T-shirt is nicer, this one or that one?
Who is more active, Mary or Kate?
Which one is more popular among students,
going to concerts or going to movies?
1) than后面接代词时, 一般要用主格形
My brother is taller than I / me.
2) 当需要表示一方超过另一方的程度时， 可以用much, a lot, a little, a bit, even, still 等来修饰形容词比较级。注意: 比较级不 能用very, so, too, quite等修饰。如： He is much more serious than Sam.
My sister is tall, but my aunt is taller.
Match the words.
outgoing twin calm wild serious smart athletic note mean 孪生的;双胎的 镇静的;无忧虑的 表示??的意思 严肃的;严重的 卤莽的;轻率的 友好的;直爽的 聪明的;伶俐的;机敏的 注释;说明 体格健美的;强健的
shorter 1. I'm tall but my sister is ________(short).
2. My mother has long hair, and my sister has
longer ________ (long) hair. more outgoing 3.This little baby is _________________ (outgoing) than that one.
4. In some ways we look the same, in some
ways we look ____________(不同). different
5. Ann is a very ____________(安静的) girl, quiet
she hardly makes noise.
1. The twins ______ lovely girls. B A. are all B. are both C. both are C 2. I like drawing and I am good _____ it. A. in B. on C. at 3. That boxer is _______ than others. A A. more athletic B. athleticer C. much athletic
4. She is three years _______ than I am. C
A. old ____. A
B. more old C. older
5. I think a good friend should make me B. laughing C. to laugh
6. -- Which of the caps will you take --I’ll take _______.one for my B father the other for my brother. A.neither B.both C.all 7. Sam looks like his Dad. They are ______ tall. D A. either B. any C. all D. both
8. There are many tall buildings on ________ sides of the street. C A. either B. all C. both
C 9. ___Lily ___ Lucy may go with you because one of them must stay at home. A. Not, but B. Neither, nor C. Both, and D. Either, or
1. Make an adjective word list including all the adjective words you know. 2. Write a short passage to compare you and your best friend.