Module 3 Sports
Unit 3 Language in use
Objectives: 1. To practise using adverbs after verbs and distinguish adverbs from adjectives 2. To know how to use comparative adjectives(more); adverbs and comparative adverbs(-er, more); irregular comparatives
Are you familiar with these sentences? They are all from the texts we have learnt. 1. This week’s match is already more exciting. 2. It is more difficult to practise in winter.
3. We are training harder than usual. 4. This year we want to do better. 5. Nothing is more enjoyable than playing tennis. 6. This year we are training more carefully. 7. That means we have a better chance of winning.
8. They cheer us on loudly and we feel more confident to win the game. 9. The more you go jogging, the healthier you will feel. 10. Jogging is cheaper than many sports.
1. to test your sense of observation 2. to test your ability of short-term memory 3. to test your ability of inductive method
1. This week’s match is already more exciting ____________(exciting). 2. It is more difficult ____________(difficult) to practise in winter. 3. We are training ______(hard) than harder usual. 4. This year we want to do better _____ (good). 5. Nothing is more enjoyable _____________ (enjoyable) than playing tennis.
6. This year we are training more carefully (carefully). _____________ 7. That means we have a better (good) _____ chance of winning. 8. They cheer us on loudly and we feel more confident (confident) to win the _____________ game. 9. The more _____(much) you go jogging, the ________(healthy)you will feel. healthier 10. Jogging is cheaper (cheap) than _______ many sports.
tall→taller long→longer 以字母e结尾的词，在 fine→finer late→later 单音节 词尾加-r 和部分 重读闭音节词且词尾 big→bigger 双音节 只有一个辅音字母， thin→thinner 双写辅音字母再加-er 词 以“辅音字母 + y” easy→easier 结尾的双音节词，先 friendly→friendl 把“y”改为“i”再 ier 加-er 一般在词尾加-er
多音节词和部分双音节词在词前加more slow—slowly quickly—more quickly outgoing→more outgoing beautiful→more beautiful
2) 一些不规则变化： good/well→better；bad/badly→worse； many/much→more； little → less far→farther/further
副词的基本用法 一般说来，副词主要用来修饰动词、形 容词和副词。例如： She plays the piano badly. 她钢琴弹得很糟。 I’m really tired after last night’s tennis match. 昨晚的网球赛后我真的很累。 The teacher speaks very slowly and carefully. 这位老师讲得很慢、很仔细。
注意副词与形容词在位置及功能上 的不同，试比较： The teacher speaks carefully. 这
位老师讲得很仔细。 The teacher is careful. 这位老师很细心。 She is a hard-working student. 她是一名学习努力的学生。
副词 修饰动词时通常出现在行为 动词（实义动词）之后 形容词通常位于系动词之后或名词 之前
careful (a.)+ ly quick (a.) + ly carefully quickly
safe (a.) + ly
busy (a.) + ly
heavy (a.) + ly 注意：
有些词既可作形容词也可作副词， 如fast, early, late等
副词比较级 副词比较级和形容词比较级的变化形式大 致相同，也分为规则变化和不规则变化两 种。例如： We are training harder because we want to win. 我们训练得更刻苦，因为我们想要获胜。 This year we are training more carefully. 今年我们训练得更认真了。 Sam did better this year than last year. 萨姆今年做得比去年好。
“the +比较级， the + 比较级” 是比较级表达中的一个固定句式， 表示“越……，越……”。例如：
The more carefully you drive, the safer it is. 开车越小心就越安全。
1 Work in pairs. Look at the pictures
and talk about the sports. Use the words in the box to help you. boring cheap difficult exciting expensive easy popular relaxing
- What’s your favourite sport?
- My favourite sport is swimming. It’s exciting.
Now compare the sports. 1. Table tennis is more exciting than tennis. 2. Tennis is… 3. Basketball is… 4. Football is… 5. Swimming is… 6. Baseball is…
2 Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets. 1.We trained harder ______(hard) this year than last year. better 2. The team played _______ (well) on Saturday than on Tuesday.
more carefully 3. They practised _____________ (carefully) this week than last week. 4. Playing football is ____________ more exciting (exciting) than watching it. 5. Playing tennis is _____________(expensive) than more expensive swimming.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets.
Tom did his homework carelessly (careless). The music is loud (loud). hard 1.They are working _____ (hard) to learn English. cheap 2. This bike was ______ (cheap), so we decided to buy it. slowly 3. The teacher speaks _______ (slow) carefully and ________ (careful).
4. Mary is going to get up ______ early (early) because she needs to catch the first bus. easy 5. Running is very ____ (easy). You can do it anywhere. 6. I do not like to be ____ (late). late 7. I am afraid our team is doing very badly ______(bad).
5 Listen and choose the correct
1.What was the race? a) Boys’ 800 metres b) Girls’ 800 metres c) Girls’ 400 metres 2. How many classes took part in the race?
3. Who ran faster than the others at first? a) Joy b) Sandy c) Mary 4. What happened to Sandy later on? a) She stopped. b) She ran slowly. c) She cried. 5. – Who finally won? – A
student from _____. a) Class 4 b) Class 5 c) Class 1
6 Read the passage and complete the sentences. 1. Jogging means running slowly _______________. slower 2. Walking is ______ than jogging. 3. To start jogging, you only need some comfortable sports clothes and good _______________________________ running shoes _____________. 4. Jogging in the countryside is more fun ________ than jogging in the city. 5. The more you go jogging, the healthier ____________ you will feel.
Making a sports poster
Step 1: Work in groups. Talk about your favourite Olympics sports and choose one for your poster.
A: What’s your favourite Olympic sport? B: My favourite Olympic sport is…
A: Why do you like it?
B: I like it because…
Step 2: Make a poster. Find a photo for your favourite Olympics sport and include it in the poster.
? Our favourite Olympic sport is swimming/ table tennis/ … ? We like it because it is exciting, popular… ? It is more exciting than…
注: word 文档 点击此处链接
一、单项选择。 1.Which is ________, English or Chinese? A. interesting B. interestinger C. more interesting 2. Since China has been a member of WTO, English is ______ useful than before. A. much B. more C. very 3. Better______ than never. A.late B.the later C.later
4. She is as ____ as a bee. A. busy B. busier C. more busy 5. When a machine is started, at first it runs slowly, and then _____. A.fast and fast B. faster and faster C.fast 6. In our city, it’s _____ in July, but it is even _____ in August. A. hot, hot B. hotter, hot C. hot, hotter
二、 用所给词的正确形式填空。 less 1.Gold（黄金） is ____ (little) useful than iron（铁）. happier 2. She will be much _______ (happy) in her new house. 3. Miss Chen is more popular (popular) ____________ than Mr Wang. better 4. The more, the ______ (good). 5. The people’s life in Africa is getting worse and ______(bad). worse _____
三、 翻译句子 1.他对英语越来越有兴趣。 He is becoming more and more ___________________________________ interested in English. ___________________________________ 2.他的身体状况一天天好起来。 He is getting better and better every day. ___________________________________ 3.今天比昨天冷得多。 It is much colder today than yesterday. ___________________________________ 4. 他吃得越多就越胖。 The more he eats, the fatter he becomes. ___________________________________
Review the grammar you learned today.
To search some information about transportation