Part 1 Listening (第一部分 听力)
I. Listen and choose the right picture (根据你听到的内容，选出相应的图片): (共6分)
A B C
D 1. ______
2. ______ E 3. ______ 4. ______ F 5. ______ G 6. ______
II. Listen to the dialogue and choose the best answer to the question you hear (根据你听
到的对话和问题，选出最恰当的答案): (共10分) 7. A) A teacher. C) A bank clerk. 8. A) By bike.
C) On foot. 9. A) In an office.
C) In a supermarket. 10. A) Ben. C) Ben’s mother. 11. A) Have a picnic with her friends. C) Go shopping with her parents.
B) A doctor. D) An engineer. B) By bus.
D) By underground. B) In a restaurant. D) In a meeting room. B) John’s mother. D) Sam.
B) Go to her cousin’s birthday party. D) See a movie with her classmates.
第 1 页 共 9 页
12. A) For a week.
C) For about three weeks. 13. A) It was boring.
C) It was boring during the last 10 minutes. 14. A) Only one. C) Three.
15. A) Dumplings with pork and cabbage.
C) Dumplings with beans. 16. A) A white one in size 10. C) A red one in size 8.
B) For about two weeks. D) For a month. B) It was exciting.
D) It was exciting at the beginning. B) Two. D) Four.
B) Dumplings with beans and cabbage. D) Dumplings with pork. B) A brown one in size 10. D) An orange one in size 8.
III. Listen to the passage and tell whether the following statements are true or false (判
断下列句子是否符合你听到的内容, 符合的用“T”表示，不符合的用“F”表示): (共7分) 17. John was five years old and was the youngest child in his family.
18. When the accident happened, John was playing with his new toy car at home. 19. John’s mother burned herself with some hot water and the pan was on fire. 20. John’s father worked in an office and the other children went camping that day. 21. John’s neighbor, Jane helped to put out the fire in John’s home. 22. From the passage we know there were six people in John’s family. 23. John was both clever and brave, his parents were very proud of him.
IV. Listen to the dialogue and fill in the blanks (根据你听到的对话，完成下列句子，每空格限填一词): (共7分) 24. Computer games ________ the boy and he spends too much time on them. 25. Sitting in front of the computer too long is bad for the boy’s eyes and ________.
26. The father thinks playing ________ computer games at night will influence his son’s
27. The girl is in Grade ________ now. 28. She likes watching TV ________.
29. Copying what is seen in ________ stories is not good for a girl student.
30. The woman is worrying about her daughter and she wants to work out a ________ and let her child grow up healthily.
Part 2 Vocabulary and Grammar (第二部分 词汇和语法)
V. Choose the best answer (选择最恰当的答案): (共26分) 31. Cathy has got ______ new job at a children’s hospital. A) a B) an C) the
第 2 页 共 9 页
32. Our Chinese teacher likes to play football with ______ after school.
A) we B) our C) us D) ours
33. Ms. Lin is very popular ______ the students. Her classes are always lively and interesting.
A) between B) among C) of D) for
34. I’m sorry that I can’t give you any advice because I know ______ about it.
A) little B) a little C) few D) a few
35. Mr. Smith is busy ______ some important work in his office now.
A) at B) for C) to D) with
36. --- When shall we go to the History Museum, this Saturday or Sunday?
--- ______ is OK. I’m free these days.
A) Both B) All C) Either D) Neither
37. Cathy has to do the same thing every day. She ______ be very bored with her job.
A) can B) must C) should D) need
38. ______ awful weather we are having! It’s raining again.
A) What B) What an C) How D) What a
39. Millions of visitors throughout the world ______ Shanghai during 2010 World Expo.
A) visit B) visited C) will visit D) would visit
40. Now we are glad to say that the air in Shanghai is much ______ than it was before.
A) good B) better C) best D) the best
41. Be quiet, please. The students ______ a class now.
A) have had B) are having C) had had D) were having
42. It seems that it is going to rain. You’d better ______ the windows open when you go out.
A) leave B) not leave C) to leave D) not to leave
43. Dr. Li always gives his patients good medical advice, ______?
A) will he B) won’t he C) does he D) doesn’t he
44. If you keep ______ English every morning, you will make greater progress.
A) read B) to read C) reading D) reads
45. He became ______ and hurriedly left the office without saying anything.
A) angry B) friendly C) gently D) sadly
46. I prefer skiing to climbing because I think climbing is not so ______ as skiing.
A) exciting B) more exciting C) less exciting D) the most exciting
47. The school sports meeting will be ______ because of the heavy rain.
A) put off B) put on C) put out D) put up
48. We won’t go wrong, because I’m quite ______ the streets here.
A) afraid of B) proud of C) familiar with D) careful with A) is invented B) was invented C) has invented D) had invented
50. ______ the boy is only 8 years old, he knows more about science than some adults.
A) Though B) Unless C) Because D) When
51. This kind of new computer ______ too much. I can’t afford one.
A) takes B) spends C) pays D) costs
第 3 页 共 9 页
A) conference B) situation C) competition D) interview ’m on the phone, will you? The underlined
phrase means ______.
A) Play with me B) Take my advice C) Give me a hand D) Go with me
54. --- The trees fell on the canteen in the storm last night.
A) What a pity! B) Be careful!
C) Of course. D) No problem.
55. --- We are going to fly kites in the park this afternoon. Would you like to join us, Tony?
--- _______ I’m going to visit my grandparents.
A) I think so.
C) No, thanks.
56. He asked me ______?
A) if I can lend him my car
C) if I could lend him my car
VI. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms（用括号中所给单
57. Shanghai is one of the biggest ____________ in the world. (city)
58. Mike managed to repair the tape recorder by ___________ yesterday. (him)
59. Our teacher explained the lesson to us very ____________. (clear)
60. It will be very ____________ to learn some foreign customs and cultures. (help)
61. I can’t do the ____________ question but I’ve done all the others. (two)
62. Many things ____________ our environment, such as waste water from factories, plastic bags
and so on. (pollution)
63. It’s ____________ to see such a heavy snow in this warm place. (usual)
64. When you sit out here, you really can feel the ____________ of the sun. (powerful)
VII. Rewrite the following sentences as required（根据所给要求，改写下列句子。每空格限
65. She has dinner with her grandparents once a week. (改为一般疑问句)
____________ she ____________ dinner with her grandparents once a week? (对划线部分
____________ ____________ have the Browns lived in New York?
67. Could you please tell me how I can operate the machine? (改为简单句)
Could you please tell me ____________ ____________ operate the machine?
B) I’d like to. D) My pleasure. B) if can I lend him my car D) if could I lend him my car
第 4 页 共 9 页
____________ ____________ you go to spend your holiday last summer?
69. He was so excited that he couldn’t sleep well last night. (保持句意基本不变)
He was ____________ excited ____________ sleep well last night.
70. I gave my son several books besides a camera. (保持句意基本不变)
I gave my son several books and a camera ____________ ____________.
Part 3 Reading and Writing (第三部分 读写)
VIII. Reading comprehension (阅读理解): (共56分)
A. True or False（判断下列句子是否符合短文内容，符合的用“T”表示，不符合的
用“F”表示): ( 7分)
Ruth Simmons was born in a very poor family. Today, she’s the president of a famous American university. How did she do it?
The story begins on a farm in Grapeland, Texas, in 1945. Ruth was born that year. Her parents were farmworkers, and she was the youngest of their twelve children. They weren’t able to give the children many things, and Ruth never had any toys. For Christmas, she didn’t receive any presents at all except a shoebox with an apple, an orange, and some nuts. However, in Grapeland, Ruth wasn’t really aware of being poor. Then the family moved into the city, Huston. In the city, being poor was much harder. And at that time, life was dangerous for African Americans, especially in the South.
At the age of five, Ruth fell in love with school. She was a clever child, and she was lucky to have some excellent teacher. No one in Ruth’s family had much education, but her teachers encouraged her to go to college, and Ruth was brave enough to try. They also gave her money and even a coat to wear.
At first, Ruth studied theater. Then she studied language. Later she married, had two children, and began to work as a college teacher and administrator. Soon people began to notice her and respect her abilities.
In 1995, Ruth became president of Smith College, a famous American college for women. Ruth was the first African American to lead a college like this one. Six years later, she accepted another challenge. She became the president of Brown University.
Ruth believes in the power of education. “Learning can be the same for a poor farm kid like me as it is for the richest child in the country. It’s all about cultivating one’s mind, and anybody can do that. So it doesn’t matter what color your skin is, it doesn’t matter how much money your father has, it doesn’t matter what kind of house you live in. Every learner can experience the same thing.”
71. Ruth was born poor and was the oldest child in her family.
72. Ruth’s parents gave the children many nice presents for Christmas.
73. Ruth herself was lucky enough to accept much school education when she was young.
74. Before Ruth married, she studied physics and then language in college.
第 5 页 共 9 页
75. Ruth became the president of Brown University in 2003.
76. Ruth was a secretary before becoming the president of Smith College.
77. From the passage we know Ruth was a lucky and amazing woman.
B. Choose the best answer（根据短文内容，选择最恰当的答案): ( 7分)
It may help you to know that there is no such thing as a perfect speech. At some point in every speech, every speaker says something that is not understood exactly as he has planned. Luckily, such moments are usually not obvious（明显的）to the listeners. Why? Because the listeners do not know what the speaker plans to say. They hear only what the speaker does say. If you lose your place for a moment, wrongly change the order of a couple of sentences, or forget to pause at a certain point, no one will notice that. When such moments happen, don't worry about them. Just continue as if nothing has happened.
Even if you do make an obvious mistake during a speech, that doesn’t really matter. If you have ever listened to Martin Luther King’s famous speech — “I have a Dream”, you may notice that he stumbles (结巴)over his words twice during the speech. Most likely, however, you don’t remember. Why? Because you were more interested in his message than in his way of speech-making.
People care a lot about making a mistake in a speech because they think making a speech is a kind of performance rather than (胜于) an act of communication. They feel the listeners are like judges in an ice-skating competition. But, in fact, the listeners are not looking for a perfect performer. They are looking for a speech that expresses the speaker’s ideas clearly and simply. Sometimes a mistake or two can, in fact, increase a speaker’s attractiveness by making him more human.
As you work on your speech, don’t worry about being perfect. As soon as you free your mind of this, you will find it much easier to give a good speech.
78. ________ never happens during a speech.
A) Making listeners understand all speakers’ plans
B) Losing the place for a moment
C) Changing the sentence order wrongly
D) Forgetting to pause at a certain point
79. In fact, listeners always ________.
A) look for a perfect speaker B) point out the speaker’s mistakes
C) need clear and simple ideas of the speaker D) try to know the speaker’s plan
80. Making a speech is more like ________ according to people who care a lot about making
a mistake in a speech.
A) an act of communication B) a discussion
C) a kind of performance D) an ice-skating competition
81. ________ not perfect during Martin Luther King’s famous speech — “I have a Dream”.
A) Only one place is B) Two places are
C) No place is D) More than two places are
第 6 页 共 9 页
82. You will find it much easier to give your speech freely if you ________.
A) don’t worry about being perfect B) don’t free your mind
C) don’t stumble over your words D) don’t plan your speech well
83. Which of the following is Not True according to the passage?
A) Every speaker says something that is not understood exactly as he has planned.
B) In fact, listeners are not like judges in an ice-skating competition.
C) In a listener’s opinion, the way of speech-making is usually more important than the
message from a speech.
D) Sometimes a speaker’s mistake can increase his attractiveness by making him more
84. The passage mainly tells us ________.
A) it really matters if the speaker makes an obvious mistake during a speech
B) listeners will only remember the speaker’s mistake
C) people care a lot about making a mistake in a speech
D) you can make a good speech though no speech is perfect
C. Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage（选择最恰当的单词或词
Gilbert joined the Science Club last summer. One day he was given a piece of paper, a block of wood and four wheels; he was told to go home and give them all to “dad”. Gilbert’s mum knew that Gilbert’s dad wasn’t good at making things and decided that she would read the and let Gilbert do the work. A few days later, he and his mother went to a car race with their car. But when they got there, Gilbert found that his car was the only one that had not been made by a “father-son” partnership (合作) and all the fathers joined in the race except his father.
The race began. One by one the cars were knocked out until it came to the final between Gilbert and Jimmy. Just before the race, Gilbert asked they could stop for a minute so that he could make a wish. After a long minute, Gilbert said that he was People cheered as the race began. Jimmy stood with and watched their car racing down the road while Gilbert was surprised at the great speed of his car as it rushed over the finishing line less than a second Jimmy’s. Gilbert jumped up and down .
Soon the club manager came over and asked him, “So, Gilbert, your wish was to win, right?” “Oh no, sir,” he replied. “I just wished that I wouldn’t cry if I lost.”
85. A) However B) Usually C) Still D) Besides
86) A) menus B) programs C) projects D) instructions
87) A) when B) where C) whether D) what
88) A) ready B) satisfied C) surprised D) worried
89) A) his mother B) his father C) his teacher D) his friend
90) A) beside B) behind C) before D) opposite
91) A) in surprise B) with pleasure C) in return D) with great care
第 7 页 共 9 页
D. Read the passage and fill in the blanks with proper words（在短文的空格内填入适
Going to see a new movie is a good way to spend a night out on the town, and there are to choose from more than 100 films every night of the week. Some of them cost more than 100 million dollars to make, and some of them were made for just a few hundred dollars. The things are not as good as they should be for movie makers. In addition to competition from other forms of entertainment—television, computer games, etc.—there is the problem of illegal download（下载）of films. The movie industry has .
In a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, a 13-year-old boy named Ben Rangel recently downloaded four movies from the Internet. What he did was against the law. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) took legal action, not against Ben, but against his 67-year-old grandfather, Fred Lawrence. Ben his grandfather’s computer to download the movies.
The MPAA wrote a letter to Mr. Lawrence, but didn’t answer. They then asked for a payment of $600,000 and Mr. Lawrence was very worried. Finally, the MPAA and Ben’s family agreed about the best thing to do.
in front of 100 students from the seventh and eighth grade at his school, Maple Dale School in Racine. Ben warned students not to download movies or paying for them.
“because of me,” said Ben. “I’m here to tell you that download is wrong, and we shouldn’t do it.
E. Answer the questions（根据短文内容回答下列问题): ( 14分)
Chicago, Illinois, is next to a big, beautiful lake, Lake Michigan. In the summer Lake Michigan is warm and blue. People lie on the beaches and swim in the water. In the winter Lake Michigan is cold and gray. Snow covers the beaches, and ice covers the water.
On a cold January day, a little boy and his father were playing in the snow on a Chicago beach. The boy was Jimmy. He was four years old. Jimmy was playing with a sled（雪橇）. He pushed the sled down a small hill. The sled went onto the ice of Lake Michigan. Jimmy ran after the sled. He ran onto the ice. Suddenly the ice broke, and Jimmy fell into the cold water. Jimmy’s father jumped into the water. He couldn’t find Jimmy. As minutes went by, he still couldn’t find Jimmy. “My kid is dead! My kid is dead!” he screamed.
Men from the Chicago Fire Department arrived. Twenty minutes later they found Jimmy and pulled him out of the water. Jimmy was not breathing, and his heart was not beating. He was dead. At the beach doctors worked on Jimmy for one hour. He began to breathe, and his heart began to beat again. The doctors rushed Jimmy to the hospital. Doctors at the hospital put Jimmy on a mattress（床垫) in bed because they wanted his body to warm up slowly. They gave him some medicine because they wanted him to sleep.
第 8 页 共 9 页
After eight days in the hospital, Jimmy woke up, but he couldn’t walk or talk. He stayed in the hospital for six weeks in all. Every day he got better. Then he went to another hospital. He stayed there for seven weeks. He began to walk, talk and play again.
Jimmy was in the water for over 20 minutes. He couldn’t breathe in the water. He couldn’t get any oxygen. But today he is alive and healthy. How is it possible?
Jimmy is alive because the water was ice cold. Usually the brain needs a lot of oxygen. But when it’s very cold, the brain slows down. It does not need much oxygen. So the cold water saved Jimmy. Jimmy’s father has another reason. He says, “Jimmy is alive today because he is a fighter. He is a strong little boy.”
99. Did Jimmy and his father play on the Chicago beach on a winter day or a summer day? __________________________________________.
100. Why did Jimmy fall into the cold water?
Because _______________________________ when he ran after the sled onto it.
101. How long did it take the men from the Chicago Fire Department to find Jimmy in the
102. Where did the doctors at the hospital put Jimmy in order to warm up his body? __________________________________________.
103. What happened to Jimmy after he woke up in the hospital?
104. How many weeks did Jimmy stay in the hospitals altogether?
105. What do you think of Jimmy?
He was ___________________________________.
IX. Writing (作文): (共18分)
106. Write at least 60 words about the topic “When I met a difficulty”. （以“当我碰到
（注意：短文中不得出现考生的姓名、校名及其它相关信息，否则不予评分。） Use the following points as a guide. （短文须包含下列要点）
? What difficulty did you meet?
? Describe how you faced and overcame it.
? How did you feel after you overcame it?
提示：overcome (overcame , overcome ) v. 克服
第 9 页 共 9 页