Ⅰ. Multiple Choices
1. Although the ________ of the building hasn’t suffered, the surface is badly damaged.
A. construction B. structure C. instrument D. infrastructure
2. I looked at Tom’s pictures and found some of them so amusing and funny that I couldn’t help ________.
A. chopping B. clipping C. chuckling D. cracking
3. She appeared very nervous one evening. I asked her what was wrong, and she ________ that she had fallen in love with Phil.
A. blurted B. alerted C. blockaded D. buried
4. Salespeople often try to learn about the needs of the ________ buyer to make themselves more persuasive.
A. profitable B. perspective C. preparatory D. prospective
5. You have to know what is right for you and then ________ it regardless of what others may say.
A. go for B. go toward C. go at D. go into
6. She tried to swallow, but couldn’t, her throat had almost ________.
A. shut up B. stood up C. hooked up D. closed up
7. I must go now. ________, if you want that book I’ll bring it next time.
A. eventually B. accidentally C. incidentally D. coincidentally
8. We have the technology and our partner has the capital. Working together, we’ll have the future ________.
A. by our hands B. in our hands C. by ourselves D. in ourselves
9. Prof. Lee’s eyes ________ with enthusiasm as she talked about how her new teaching method worked in her College English class.
A. broadened B. twinkled C. lingered D. sparkled
10. She received an increase in pay and it has ________ in her attitude towards work.
A. produced an effect B. exerted no influence C. made no difference D. made a difference
11. In my senior year I ________ writing a novel, but without much success.
A. took a crack at B. took an endeavor at C. took an ambition at D. took an effort at
12. It was ________ Cinderella’s wildest dreams that she could one day dance in the King’s palace.
A. off B. by C. beyond D. through
13. As with anything else, it is important to ________ before going on an interview.
A. do preparations B. make endeavors C. do your efforts D. do your homework
14. Another important thing is to ________ your interview with a letter expressing your enthusiasm to join the company.
A. follow down B. follow up C. swallow down D. swallow up
15. Mary’s parents ________ her about where she had been all night.
A. grilled B. grieved C. challenged D. relieved
16. From his ________, the project manager has done his best to fulfill the promise. 1
A. prospect B. standpoint C. prospective D. outpoint
17. It’s important to go to the library to find all ________ information about the company before the interview.
A. relative B. reviewing C. reflective D. relevant 18. With rare exceptions you will not get a job ________ without an interview.
A. applicant B. inquiry C. document D. offer
19. You should make every ________ to show that you know something about the company during the interview.
A. crack B. engagement C. endeavor D. elegance
20. His widespread ________ to fans has helped keep basketball one of the world’s most popular spectator sports.
A. fame B. call C. appeal D. popularity
21. I often do the interviewing and hiring myself. I like talking to potential salespeople, because they’re our ________ to customers
A. connection B. link C. association D. tie
22. I would like to ________ my interests and training to the fullest through working with a company as well-known as your own.
A. apply to B. utilize C. convert D. make
23. People often try to learn about the needs of the buyer to make themselves more ________.
A. understandable B. convincing C. prospective D. persuasive
24. Spending too much time and effort on ________ details early in the design process
discourages designers from changing course to what might be a superior solution.
A. intricate B. invulnerable C. sophisticated D. invasive
25. The big snake ________ tightly around the deer until it was dead and began to devour it.
A. carved B. recycled C. coiled D. quivered
26. The company _____ to become a major global communication player.
A. aspires B. entitles C. sparkles D. responds
27. The queue is too long. I should shop _____.
A. nowhere B. whereas C. somewhere D. elsewhere
28. In 1900 there were only a ______of cities with a million people.
A. handful B. quality C. swamp D. sum
29. The patient was so weak that she could not even sit up,_______ walk.
A. regardless of B. instead of C. in spite of D. let alone
30. There seems to be a _______between her words and her action.
A. contract B. contraction C. contrast D. contradiction
31. The United States ______Germany as the biggest producer of wind power in 2008.
A. overflew B. overdid C. overtook D. overlapped
32. Professor Liu’s eyes ________ with enthusiasm as she talked about her new teach method.
A. startled B. sparked C. sparkled D. sucked
33. It is important to keep a positive _________on your task.
A. outlook B. check C. control D. wit
34. The two leaders _______the movement for peace in the world.
A. erased B. endorsed C. endeavored D. endured
35. I locked it up in the safe. It could not have ________into air.
A. faded B. fainted C. vanished D. cancelled
36. This shampoo is supposed to ________ the growth of your hair.
A. fabricated B. facilitate C. disregard D. neglect
37. Official data are hard to believe because they are often at odds _____ reality.
A. with B. along C. in D. to
38. China is committed ______ pursuing a low carbon economy.
A. with B. to C. in D. on
39. His lecture ranged over a ________ of topics.
A. basis B. variety C. realm D. span
40. Companies compete to stay at the _______.
A. rear B. frost C. forefront D. frontier
41. _________ aside all opposition, he put the matter to a vote.
A. Cleaning B. Streaming C. Putting D. Sweeping
42. Which side wins ______ no difference to me.
A. does B. makes C. gives D. calls
43. The cruise __________ in Miami and continues to sail along the coast.
A. sources B. anchors C. ornaments D. originates
44. That company has ________ of the truck manufacturing business.
A. set out B. phased out C. worked out D. made out
45. There could be no slackening of pace, no half heartedness, no __________. Victory was life; defeat, certain death.
A. fatigue B. feast C. feat D. feature
46. His _________ love of justice compelled him to join the struggle against the invaders.
A. ardent B. arduous C. inherent D. partial
47. Those people have to learn the three elements of good manners, ________, the basic moral duties, rules and optional graces such as compliments to women and superiors.
A. inevitably B. reluctantly C. namely D. individually
48. European farmers are planning a massive demonstration against farm _________ cuts.
A. subside B. subsidy C. substitute D. subsequent
49. In most cases, it’s taken years for these megacorporations to __________.
A. gloom B. bloom C. accelerate D. globalize
50. A __________ of heart specialists will meet in Chicago next summer.
A. congress B. legislature C. connection D. conjunction