We’re trying to save the manatees!
? Section A
Warm up Animals are man’s friends.
Which animal is the biggest on land?
elephant: enormous, gray
Which animal only lives in Australia?
Which animal looks most like the human being?
chimpanzee: noisy, playful, furry
Which animal runs fastest in the world?
cheetah: aggressive, spotted, fast
Which animal is the king of the forest?
What’s this? How to describe it?
manatee: gentle, shy
What’s this? How to describe it?
panda: gentle, furry, white and black
What’s this? How to describe it?
polar bear: aggressive, funny
1a. Write these words in the below.
1b Listen and circle the words in 1a.
gentle furry enormous
playful noisy shy
aggressive gray fast spotted
I am like this animal because I am strong and intelligent. I like water and I like to eat vegetables.
You’re like an elephant.
You’re like a manatee.
2a. Listen and match the words with definitions.
1.endangered 2.mangroves swamps 3.habitat 4.aquatic feed a. the place where something lives b. there aren’t very many of them c. underwater plants and vegetation d. a place where trees grow in water
2b. Listen again. Complete the chart.
Kind of animal
Habitat Reason why they are endangered
2,500 in the US water under trees in mangrove swamps swamps polluted, not enough food large, three meters long, weighs 1,000 pounds
A: How big are manatees? B: They’re about 10 feet long and they weigh about 1,000 pounds.
Let’s go to the zoo!
Do you think they are happy?
Do you think zoos are good for animals?
3a and 3b. Fill in the chart.
Zoos are terrible places
Animals are kept in tiny cages Animals can hardly move at all Animals are only given food once a day.
Zoos are important places
Zoos are living textbook. Zoos provide homes for endangered animals. Educate people about caring for them.
The zoos provide homes for many endangered animals.
Zoos are like living textbooks for young people. Help to educate the public about caring for them.
I think that animals should not live in zoos.
I disagree with you. I feel that zoos provide clean and safe places for endangered animals to live.
1.We’re trying to save the manatees. 我们正在竭尽全力拯救海牛. try to do=try one’s best to do 努力去做某事。如： Every student should try to study hard in order to study in a university. 为了进入大学学习，每个学生都应该 努力学习。
2. I am like this animal because I am strong and intelligent.
be like=look like=be similar to
像, 看起来像。如： He is like his father。他像他的父亲。 = He looks like his father. = He is similar to his father.
这里的like作介词，意思为“像”； like 还可作动词用，表示“喜欢”， like（doing）sth. 喜欢做某事。如：
He likes his father very muc
Mary likes playing volleyball.
3. How big are manatees? 海牛有多大？ How big... 询问体重。以how组合的疑问词 组有很多，如： how old 询问年龄 how often 询问频率 how long 询问动作持续的长短 how much 询问质量或者价钱 how far 询问距离 how many 询问数量 how soon 询问过多久
4. …they weigh about 1,000 pounds, ……他们大约重1000磅。 weigh, 动词, “称……重量, 测……重量”。 e.g. He weighed the stone in his hand. 他用手掂了掂这块石头的重量。 The piece of meat weighs four pounds. 这块肉重四磅 weigh的名词形式是weight, “重量”。 e.g. What is your weight？ 你的体重是多少？
5. I’m writing to say that I am against building a new zoo in our town. (1) against 介词, 反对, 违反,与……相反 (=opposite)。 e.g. Are most people against the proposal? 大多数人反对这项提议吗? (2) against介词还有触,碰,倚,靠的意思。 e.g. Put the piano there, with its back, against the wall. 把钢琴放在那里,背靠着墙.
(3) be against doing sth. 反对做某事 反义词组是 be for doing sth. 赞成某事
e.g. All the people around the world are against
cloning human beings.
All of us are for peace and against war.
6. I’ve visited a lot of zoos in my life, and I have never seen one I liked or one that was suitable for animals to live in. (1) be suitable for sb to do sth. 表示 “适合某人 做某事”,这里suitable 是suit的形容词形式, 表示 “合适的”。 e.g.This kind of bamboo is not suitable for pandas to eat. 这种竹子不适合给熊猫吃。
This dress suits you very much, but unfortunately it doesn’t fit you.
(2) to live in 在此处作animals的后置定语。英语
e.g. There is nothing for us to worry about.
7. The animals are kept in tiny cages. 动物被关在极小的笼子里。 (1) tiny=little 很小的 ,带有感情色彩. e.g. the tiny country 国家小 (含可爱的意思) a small country 小国家(与large country 相对应) a little boy 小男孩,爱怜之意(不含身材矮小)
(2) tiny 和 little常做定语,一般不做表语, small 既可以做定语,也可以做表语。
little 还可表示 “一点点的”,修饰不可数名词。
e.g. There is a little milk in the bottle. 瓶里有一点点的牛奶。
8. I was surprised to find hardly anyone there. 我非常惊讶地发现在那几乎没有人 (1) surprised 在这里是过去分词做形容词。 常用词组: be surprised at sth. 对某事感到惊讶 be surprised to do sth. 很惊讶地做某事 e.g. I was surprised at the news./to hear the news. 听到这个消息我很吃惊。
“使……惊讶”, =amaze。 e.g. She is over 80? You surprised me!
(3) surprise还可作名词, “惊奇，惊讶”，常用
词组有： in surprise 惊奇地
to one’s surprise 使某人惊奇地
e.g. To my surprise, the plan succeeded.
(4) surprising 形容词, 惊讶的,惊奇的。 (侧重指事物本身具有的特点) e.g. His words surprised me. 他的话使我大吃一惊。 It is surprising news. 它是一个令人惊讶的消息。
9.They provide homes for many endangered animals, and help to educate the public about caring for them. (动物园)他们为许多濒危的动物提供了家, 也有助于教育众人来关心这些动物。 (1) provide sb. with sth. provide sth for sb. 提供给某人某物 e.g. The firm provided me with a car. Can you provided accommodation for thirty people?
(2) provide for sb. 供应某人所需。如: He worked hard to provide for their large family. 他努力工作以供养一家人。 He has a large family to provide for. 他要养活一个大家庭。 (3) the public 指 “民众,公众”。在英语中, 定冠词the 后接形容词表示一类人。
e.g. the young 年轻人 the wounded 受伤的人 (4) care for sb. 可做 “照顾,照料,看护”的意思。 care for sth. “希望或喜欢(做某事)”。 e.g. care for the sick 照看病人 Would you care for a cup of tea? 你要不要来杯茶?
10. I urge all of your readers to visit our wonderful zoo soon. 我们竭力主张你们所有的读者赶快来参观 我们的很棒的动物园。 (1) urge 作动词, “力劝, 鼓励, 怂恿, 极力主张, 强调”。 e.g. They urged us to go with them. 他们怂恿我们一起去。 She urged the important of speed. 她强调速度的重要性。
(2) urge 还可作名词, “强烈的欲望, 冲动”； urgent 形容词, “紧急的”。 e.g. He has an urge to travel. 他有去旅行的强烈欲望。 (3) 词组: urge sth., on/upon sb.极力推荐 urge sb. on sth. 鼓励某人做某事 urge against 极力反对
Review of Tenses
1. Present Progressive 2. Present Simple 3. “used to” + infinitive
4. Present Perfect
5. Past progressive
6. Future simple
7. Passive Voice
1. What a fine day today! Look! What are they doing?
1.现在进行时: Present Progressive
结构: be (is, am, are) + doing 标志语： Look! 、 Listen! 、now
一般在动词原形后 +ing go ask going asking
重读闭音节以一个 辅音字母结尾的， 双写这一字母+ing
get run swim
getting running swimming
1. The twins ___________(wash) the clothes are washing now. 2. Look! He __________ (play) basketball is playing over there. singing 3. Listen! _____ Sally _______(sing)? Is
2. How often do you …? (once a week, twice…, never)
I have a f
riend. His / Her name is…. He / She plays….
一般现在时: Present Simple 概念: 表示习惯、经常性的动作 结构: do、 does 标志语：usually、often、never、 sometimes、once a week、 twice a month、every year
1. They _______(wash) the clothes washes every day. 2. Sometimes he ______ (play) basketball plays over there. 3. How often _____ Sally ______(sing)? does sing
3. 一般过去时 morning afternoon night went… visited… …
-- What did you do last Sunday morning?
-- I went to….
morning afternoon night
went… visited… did
Last Sunday morning, my friend…. In the afternoon, he/she…. And at night, he/she…
一般过去时: Past Simple
概念: 表示过去发生的动作 结构: did 标志语：yesterday、... ago、 in 1992、 last week/month…
在动词后加-ed want answer move 以字母e 结尾的动词， 只+d die “ 辅音字母+y ” ，变 carry y 为i, 再+ed cry 重读闭音节以一个 辅音字母结尾的， 双写+ed stop plan wanted answered moved died carried cried stopped planned
get go eat are do cut say got went ate were did cut said take swim drink have come put see took swam drank had came put saw
1. They ________(wash) the clothes washed yesterday. 2.The day before yesterday he ________ played (play) basketball over there. sing 3. _____ Sally ______(sing) two hours ago? Did
pack the towels pack the camera … water the plants
-- Have you packed … yet? -- Yes, I have packed …. No, I haven’t …
Yes No … Yes
现在完成时: Present Perfect 概念: 表示已经发生的动作 结构: has done、 have done 标志语：already、 yet、ever、 never、since…、for…
eat are do cut say
ate were did cut said
eaten been done cut said
take swim drink have come put took swam drank had came put taken swum drunk had come put
1.The twins ____________ (wash) the have washed clothes for an hour. 2.He __________ (play) basketball since has played three years ago. 3.How long _____ Sally ______(sing) yet? has sung
5. 过去进行时: Past Progressive
结构: be (was，were) + doing
标志语：at 8:00 yesterday 、
6. 一般将来时: Future Simple 概念: 表示将要发生的动作 结构: will do、 shall do、 be (is/am/are) going to do 标志语：tomorrow、in..、next…
7. Passive voice
概念:表示主语是动作的承受者,即行为动作的 对象的一种语态。 结构: be + 动词过去分词 e.g. In 1972, it was discovered that they were endangered． Our classroom is cleaned every day．
1.I usually ______ up at 6:00,but yesterday I get got will get _____up at 7:00, and tomorrow I ________ (get) up at 6:30. is knocking 2. Listen! Someone _____________(knock) at the door. ha
ve been 3. I ___________(be) in Beijing for two years. does 4. How often ______Andy_______ (surf) the surf Internet?
5. He fell asleep while he ____________ was reading (read) a book. have heard 6. I_______never________（hear) of that man before. 7. My brother often _______(go) for walks went last summer. Did happen 8. ______the story _________(happen) in London in 1940?
9. What ______he ______ (do) when his was doing mother opened the door? doesn’t rain 10. If it _____________(not rain) tomorrow, will go they ________(go) fishing. play 11. _____ Kate’s sisters ________(play) Do the piano every Sunday? won’t call 12. They ____________(not call) you the day after tomorrow. has worked 14. Tom ____________(work) there since two years ago.
Write an article to introduce one endangered animal and give your opinions about how to protect the animals.