Module 2 What can you do?
Unit 1 I can play the piano.
play, tennis, piano, ride, club, term, board, would like, well, all, that’s all, worry, worry about, teach, then, monitor, start, get on well with sb. ready, ready to do sth. promise, fast, fit, just, ball, game, team, best, score, tidy, sure, everybody, just like, beautiful, fly, kite, swim.
2. What about you?
3. Don’t worry about?.
4. I can play piano.
5. I can’t speak Chinese very well.
6. —Can you cook? —Yes, I can. / No, I can’t.
7. —Can Betty speak English? —Yes, she can.
8. —Can Tony speak Chinese well? —No, he can’t.
9. I’d like to be ?
10. I want to be ?.
11. I can play the piano.
12. She can dance really well.
13. We can teach you Chinese!
14. — Can you fly a kite?
— Yes, I can. / No, I can’t.
1. Function: Finding out what people can do; asking and answering about abilities
2. Structure: can / can’t
3. Skills: 1) Listening and finding out about people’s abilities.
2) Supplying information on people’s abilities.
3) Reading and understanding simple passages, finding specific information
4) Composing a simple passage
4. Around the world: Languages
5. Task: Making a poster for a club.
情态动词can / can’t的用法
Unit 1 I can play the piano.
Listening and speaking
Bottom-up approach to listening
To understand the using can and can’t.
1. Key vocabulary: play, tennis, piano, ride, club, term, board, would like, well,
all, that’s all, worry, worry about, teach, then
2. Key structures: 1) I can ?.
2) I can’t ?.
3) —Can you ?? —Yes, I can. / No, I can’t.
Tape recorder, OHP, video
Step 1 Warming-up
1. Show some pictures and say what they are.
2. Read the words after the teacher.
3. Introduce the new words.
4. Ask the students to read through the words and expressions in Activity 1.
5. Look at the pictures carefully.
6. Match the words and expressions from the box with the pictures.
7. Check their answer with a partner.
8. Call back the answer from the whole class and check the answer. Keys:
1. dance 2. play the piano 3. speak Chinese 4. cook 5. sing 6. ride a bike 7. play table tennis Step 2 Listening practice
1. Ask the students to pictures in Activity 2.
2. Listen and check (√)the things in Activity 1 which Tony’s dad can do. 3. Play the recording again, then they can check their answer with a partner. 4. Call back the answer from the whole class and check the answer. Step 3 Listen and read.
1. Ask the students to read the conversation silently.
2. Play the recording and ask the students to listen and read the conversation. 3. Read the conversation. 4. Act it out.
5. Ask the students to check (√) the clubs they want to join. 6. Ask the students to check with a partner. 7. Play the recording again .Check the answers:
Step 4 Complete the passage.
1. Ask the students to read the words in the box in Activity 4. 2. Read through the passage.
Can you cook? No? Join the Food and Drink (1) __________. Can you play the piano?
Join the (2) __________ Club. What about dancing? (3) __________ the Dance Club. There are lots of new clubs every (4) __________. They’re all on the (5) __________ and you can choose your favourite.
3. Complete the passage with the correct form of the words from the box.
4. Ask the students to check with a partner.
5. Check the answers:
Keys: 1. Club 2. Music 3. Choose 4. term 5. board
6. Learn “Everyday English”
What about you?
Don’t worry about?.
Step 5 Pronunciation and speaking.
1. Say the sentences in Activity 5 aloud.
/k?n/ I can play piano.
/ka:nt/ I can’t speak Chinese very well.
/k?n/ Can you cook?
2. Listen and repeat.
3. Learning to learn
In English, we pronounce a word in different ways when it is stressed or not stressed. In “Yes, I can”, we pronounce can as /k?n/; in “Oh, good. You can come to help us”, we pronounce can as /k?n/.
4. Play the recording once without stopping.
5. Listen and repeat in Activity 6.
/i:/ Chinese she we
/e/ egg tennis
5. Ask the students to practice the sounds in pairs.
Step 6 Guessing game.
1. Show some pictures.
2. According to the information given and ask the students to guess what it is. 4
3. Show the pictures to check the answers.
Step 7 Work in pairs.
1. Look at the information.
2. Read through the example with the class.
—Can Betty speak English?
—Yes, she can.
—Can Tony speak Chinese well?
—No, he can’t.
3. Pair them to ask and answer.
4. Circulate and monitor their production.
Step 8 Do exercises:
( )1. —What can you do, Lingling? —I can __________.
A. play the football B. ride bike C. play the piano D. play a basketball
( )2. I can sing English songs ________ I can dance.
A. and B. so C. or D. but
( )3. He can sing, ________ he can’t cook.
A. and B. so C. or D. but
( )4. —Can Jim play basketball? —______________.
A. Yes, I can B. Yes, he can C. No, you can’t D. No, he isn’t.
( )5. —Can you speak English well? — _________.
A. No, I can’t B. Yes, I have C. No, I don’t D. Yes, I speak Keys: 1. C 2. A 3. D 4. B 5. A
________ you _______________, Tony?
The new clubs _______ this term_________________.
__________________ the English Club _______________speak English very well.
______________________your son. I can look after him.
I ____________ the Table Tennis Club _____________________ table tennis.
Tom _______________ join the Music Club because he _______________.
1. Can. speak Chinese 2. for, on the board 3. I’d like to join, because I can’t
4. Don’t worry about 5. choose , because I like playing
6. would like to, can play the piano.
Step 9 Homework
Remember the words of Unit 1 and prepare the text of Unit 2.