Module 3 Now and then
1. Learn about comparative（比较级）and superlative（最高级）. ⑴ 规则变化
2. Master(掌握)the sentence patterns(句型) and say sth about life today or in the past. 1. prevent…from… 2. be good at/do well in 3. lead a…life 4.do/try one’s best to do sth
5. talking/speaking of 6. all one’s life 7. get married (to) 8. pick up 9. the number of/a number of 10. fall off 3. Know about the rules, such as:
⑴原级：①as…as…②(much) too, so ,quite,very
⑵比较级：①…than…②比 and比③the 比,the 比④much, even ,a lot⑤the ＋比 of the two ⑶最高级：①one of… ② the＋序数词＋最高级
Part 1 Reading
①Read Unit1 and make notes about what people do now and did in the past.
1. People are ______ and live _____ today than 50 years ago. (health)
2. Today we know______ about medicine and we are better at ________ _______, but we don’t take ___ _____ _______ ____ they did.(medicine) 3. Transport is_______, but it makes_____ pollution
4. People don’t have to work _____ _____ _____ they worked 50 years ago.(work)
②Read Unit2 and fill in the table.
Part 2 Words and phrases
1. prevent v. 防止，预防
Can you _______ him ______ smoking?
【联想】 stop…(from) doing…/ keep…from doing… 阻止……做
2.marry (sb) v. (和…)结婚, 嫁,娶
get/be married (to sb) (和…)结婚
She _____an American last month.
A. was married B. got married C.got married to D. married to
3.do/try one’s best to do sth 尽力做某事
We must ____ ____ _____ ____ protect environment.
4. all one’s life 一生，终身
He ____ in Beijing all his life. A.live B.lives C. lived D. has lived
5. lead a… life （=live a… life) 过……的生活
过去人们过着艰难的生活。 People ___ ___ ____ ____ in the past.
6. the number of ……的数量
【联想】 a number of 许多
In our school library, there ___ a number of books on science and the number of them ____ growing larger and larger.
A. is; are B. are; is C. have; is
7. fall off (从…) 跌落
He ______ ______ a tree and hurt his feet.
8.【习语】 talking/speaking of…谈/说到……
____ me, I’d like to have a cup of coffee.
A.Think of B.Talking of C.Talking about
Part 3 Grammar
1.The boy is as_____ as his father. (tall)
2.It’s very ________ to play on the road. (danger) 3.The boy ran so f___ that I couldn't catch him.
4.It's much too_____,today. (cold)
5.It was quite______, but not perfect.(good)
2.Who is ______, your sister or his? (thin)
3._______(much) food you eat, ________ (fat) you will be.
4.She is _________ofthe twins.(short)
5.When spring comes, the weather is getting
______and ______. (warm) 6. Jim has been even____________ in Chinese since Mr. Green taught him.(interest) ⑶Do exercises: 1.The Yellow River is the second_______ river in China. (long)
2.Which skirt is ________________ ,yours,hers or mine?(fashionable)
3.I have _______ books in my family.(many) 4.He is one of _____________(popular) singers in China.
1. –The dish is delicious! （杭州中考）
-- Well, at least it’s ____ the one I cooked yesterday.
A. as good as B. worse than C. as well as
2. There ___ a number of animals in the zoo. The number of them____ two thousand.（宁波中考）
A. is, are B. are, is C. is, is
3.The ticket is on the floor, please____. （烟台） A. pick up it B. look it up C. pick it up
4. Peter drives ____ Amy, so it will take Peter ____ time to get to the hotel. (08常州） A.much faster than; less B. more slowly than; less
C. as fast as; more D. as slowly as; more
5. ----Was Henry late for the concert yesterday? (09扬州)
----No. He got there even ten minutes ________ than us two.
A. earlier B. earliest C. later D. latest
6. ----How are you today, Bob?
----I'm even ______ now. I don't think the medicine is good for me. (08南通) 3
A. better B. worse C. happier D. unluckier
In the past, the life w____ not easy. Most girls never went to school. They helped on the farm or cooked at home for their families. People didn’t have a healthy d____ They knew less about m_______, and that made life less healthy. They didn’t live as long a___ we do today.
There were no houses or cars. People went to work o____ foot or by bike. So they took more e________. Today more and more people use their own cars. They walk l_____ and become lazier. And faster transport makes more p_________.
In the past the family was very big. They lived in a small house. They cooked on the fire. Now there a_____ many tall buildings to l_____ in. life is better than it was in the past, isn’t it?