Unit 2 What’s the best thing about school?
Introduce our school
What can you see?
What about this one?
Listen to the tape without your books and answer the questions.
1. How old is Sally?
A. 11 B. 15 C. 18
2. Park school is a ______ school.
A. primary B. secondary C. high
3. How long do they have lunch? A. From 11:05 to 11:20 B. An hour. C. Two hours
4. What subject don’t they have?
A. PE meeting?
B. ADT C. Chinese
5. How often do they have a parents’ A. Once a month. B. Once a year.
C. Once a term.
Read the passage carefully and
complete the timetable. School starts 8:45 9:05 11:05 11:20
Break Lessons from
12:20 13:20 15:15
After-school sports clubs, language societies, etc. activities
Read the passage in groups and put the statements in the correct column. 1. Sally has been at school since she
was five and she will be at school
until she’s 18.
2. All schools in the UK are like Park
3. There is a meeting for the whole
school at 8:55 am.
4. Sally will take six more sets of
exams before she finishes school.
5. There is a parents’ meeting each
The passage We understand We don’t
Decide if these sentences from the
passage show facts (F) or opinions (O). 1. Park School is a secondary school, about 20 minutes by bike away from home. ( F )
2. This year I have 11 subjects. ( F)
3. Fortunately, we don’t have exams
in every subjects. ( O) 4. …we’re really lucky to have a swimming pool. ( O )
5. During the school year there are
usually visits to museum and
galleries… ( F )
6. What’s the best thing about school? English, history, music…and my friends. (O)
have a break have an exam as well as 休息 考试 并且, 和
learn to do sth. 学会做某事
be away from
1. If I pass my exams next year, I’ll stay here until I’m 18. 如果明年我通过考试的话, 我会 在这里学习到18岁。
2. Park School is a secondary school,
about 20 minutes by bike away from
3. We spend the first 10 minutes in our classroom while our teacher checks which pupils are present or absent. 我们在教室里度过的前10分钟是 老师检查是否有缺席的学生。
4. Fortunately, we don’t have exams in every subject.
e.g. I went to take an exam in history.
5. PHSE is about the dangers of drugs
and smoking, among other things.
个人健康与安全课宣讲毒品和吸烟 的危害, 以及一些其他内容。
6. Some people can do Italian and Spanish
instead of French, but .
句中do意为“学习”，相当于learn。 e.g. He is doing biology and geography. 他正在学生物和地理。
1. Make a timetable for your schooldays.
School starts Lessons from Break Lessons from Lunch
7:20 7:40 10:00-10:30 10:30
12:00-15:00 Lessons from 15:00 School ends 18:30 After-school activities sports and dancing
2. Make a list of other events and
activities during your school year.
e.g. visits to museums,
school trip to mountains …
3. Write a composition describing
your school life. Say:
? ? ?
where you go to school
how you get there how far it is from home how long you’ve been and will be at school
? what your daily timetable is
? what subjects you have this year
? how many exams you take during
your school life
? what other events and activities
there are in your school year ? what you like most and least
The sample composition:
My name is Zhang Lin and I’m a pupil at No. 1 Junior High School in Beijing. Our school is 15 minutes by bike away from home. Since I was 7, I have been in this school. If I pass the exams of the school next year, I’ll stay here until I am 15.
The school day is from 7:20 am
to 6:30 pm. We spend the first 20 minutes reading revising. Lessons begin at 7:40 and each lesson lasts 40 minutes. We do morning exercises and eye sitting-up exercises at 10:00 until 10:30, then another lesson, then lunch and rest for 3 hours.
This year I have 12 subjects:
Chinese, maths, English, physics, politics, history, geography, biology, music, PE, art and computer. We have exams in the first eight subjects and we have no exams in music, PE, art and computer. We have a sports ground where we
play basketball, run and do athletics
both during and after school hours. Afterschool activities, such as language clubs, sports clubs and art clubs are popular, too. During the school year there are usually visits to museums and galleries and to camps for activities, such as climbing and hiking in the country.
Once a month, there is a parents’
meeting, so our parents and teachers
can talk about our progress.
I like the language clubs most and my favorite subjects are English, music and Chinese. But I dislike too much homework and too many exams.
1. 明年通过考试 pass my exams next year ______________________
2. 从我家骑自行车大约20分钟的一个中学 a secondary school about 20 minutes _________________________________ by bike away from home ______________________ 3. 头10分钟 _________________ the first 10 minutes
present or absent 4. 到场或者是缺席 ________________ go to the main hall 5. 去礼堂 _________________
make a speech _________________
_____________________________ tell us any news about the school
8. 持续一个小时 ________________ last for an hour 9
. 在11:05直到11:20课间休息 _____________________________ have a break at 11:05 until 11:20 10. 再上两节课
two more lessons __________________________
________________________________ IT stands for Information Technology
12. 个人健康与安全教育 ________________________________ Personal Health and Safety Education 13. 艺术、设计与技术 Art, Design and Technology __________________________
14. 毒品和吸烟的危害 the dangers of drugs and smoking ____________________________ 15. 像学习烹饪和绘画和设计 like learning to cook as well as ____________________________
drawing and design ____________________________ 16. 3到5门必考课 between three and five subjects ____________________________
for the exams _____________________
in my final year 17.在最后一年里 _______________
both during and after school hours _______________________________
19.一个学期一次 _____________ once a term
a parents’ meeting ________________
_______________________ talk about our progress 22.最好/糟糕的事情 _______________________ the best/worst things
1. －How long will you stay here?
－I think I will be here for __ more days. A. few C. little B. a few D. a little
2. －Is this your son’s sweater?
－No. ___ is on the chair behind
3. ____ of them knows French, so I have to ask a third person for help. A. Neither B. Either
4. I can’t find the pen I was given.
Have you seen ______?
A. it B. one C. this D. that
5. __ twenty boys were playing
football at that time yesterday.
A. Each B. Some
C. No one
6. —Did they find ___ in the park?
—No, they found____ there.
A. anybody, nobody
B. somebody, everybody
C. anybody, somebody
D. everybody, anybody
1. Learn the new words by heart. 2. Retell the story in your own words. 3. Finish off the rest of