（二）结构 was/were +doing (现在分词）
1、过去进行时表示过去某段时间内持续进行的动作或者事情。常用的时间状语this morning, the whole morning, all day yesterday, from nine to ten last evening, when, while例如：
We were watching TV from seven to nine last night.
What was he researching all day last Sunday?上周日他一整天都在研究什么？ My brother fell while he was riding his bicycle and hurt himself. 我哥哥骑自行车的时候从车上摔下来，受伤了。
It was raining when they left the station.他们离开车站的时候天正在下雨。 When I got to the top of the mountain, the sun was shining.
What was she doing at nine o'clock yesterday?
When I saw him he was decorating his room.
While he was waiting for the bus, he was reading a newspaper.
He was cleaning his car while I was cooking.他擦车时我在做饭。(两个动作同时进行)
1) Mary ___ a dress when she cut her finger.
A. made B. is making C. was making D. makes
2) As she ___ the newspaper, Granny ___ asleep.
A. read; was falling B. was reading; fell C. was reading; was falling D. read;fell 过去进行时与一般过去时
都强调过去发生的事 进行时强调过程，不一定完成 过去时强调事件，一定完成 表示一个动作正在进行时，另一个动作发生了 如：He played when I was studying. 过去进行时与一般过去时，两者都表示过去发生的动作,但过去进行时表示在过去某一特定的时间点或时间段正在进行的动作,而一般过去时表示在过去时间完成的动作?例
I was typing a letter last night. 昨晚我在打一封信?(可能没打完)
I typed some letters last night. 我昨晚打了一些信?(已经打完)
1、一般过时往往表示某一动作已经完成，而过去进行时却表示动作在持续或未完成。 She wrote a letter to her friend last night. 她昨晚给朋友写了封信。 (信写完了)
She was writing a letter to her friend last night. 她昨晚一直在给朋友写信。(信不一定写完)
2、一般过去时表示只做一次动作，而过去进行时却表示动作反复地进行。 She waved to me. 她朝我挥了挥手。
3、句中有a moment ago之类的短语一般用一般过去时。
4、句中有at this time last Sunday, from 8 to 9 yesterday 之类的状语一般用过去进行时。过去进行时可以用来代替一般过去时，表示更为偶然而非预定的动作：
I was talking to Tom the other day． 那天我跟汤姆聊天来着。
注意：进行时态只用于表示显然是连续不断的动作。如果把动作分割开，或者说出其发生的次数，就必须用一般过去时：I talked to Tom several times． 我跟汤姆谈过几次话。
Tom washed both cars． 汤姆把两辆汽车都洗了。
Between one and two I was doing the shopping and walking the dog．一点到两点之间我在购物、遛狗。
这样用的进行时态通常和某些时间状语如 today，last night，in the afternoon连用。这些时间状语可以看做是表示某一时刻，也可以看做是表示某一段时间。如上面例句所示，某一段时间也可以用确切的时间来表示。
如想问起一段时间怎样度过时，用过去进行时态要用比一般过去时显得有礼貌： What were you doing before you came here？（你来这里之前做什么工作？）要比 What did you do be－ fore you came here？听起来有礼貌。
另一方面， What were you doing in my room？（你在我的房间里干什么来着？）可能表示这样一种情感：我认为你没有权利在我的屋子里。但 What did you do in my room？却毫无这种含义。
感官动词：hear,see,notice,feel,taste…… 表示态度感情的动词：like,love,hate…… 表心理状态：feel,want,prefer…… 表占有：own,have,……
①when是at or during the time that, 既指时间点，也可指一段时间；
while是during the time that，只指一段时间，因此when引导的时间状语从句中的动词可以是终止性动词，也可以是延续性动词，而while从句中的动词必须是延续性动词。 ②when 说明从句的动作和主句的动作可以是同时，也可以是先后发生；while 则强调主句的动作在从句动作的发生的过程中或主从句两个动作同时发生。
③由when引导的时间状语从句，主句用过去进行时，从句应用一般过去时；如果从句和主句的动作同时发生，两句都用过去进行时的时候，多用while引导，如： a. When the teacher came in, we were talking.
While we were talking, the teacher came in.
1. While we __________ (wait) for the bus, a girl __________ (run) up to us.
2. I __________ (telephone) a friend when Bob __________ (come) in.
3. Jim __________ (jump) on the bus as it __________ (move) away.
4. We __________ (test) the new machine when the electricity __________ (go) off.
5. She __________ (not want) to stay in bed while the others ________________ (all, work) in the fields.
6. While mother ________ (put) Cathy to bed, the door bell ________ (ring).
7. As I __________ (walk) in the park, it __________ (begin) to rain.
9. It was quite late at night. George __________ (read) and Amy __________ (ply) her needle when they __________ (hear) a knock at the door.
10. There __________ (be) a group round the fire when they __________ (reach) it. An old woman __________ (sit) on the ground near the kettle; two small children __________ (lie) near her; a donkey __________ (bend) his head over a tall girl.
1. I _____ (have) my breakfast at half past six yesterday morning.
2. Mary _____ (go) over her lessons from six to seven last night. John and peter ____(do) the same thing.
3. What _____ you ___ (do) at that time? We _____ (watch) TV.
4. Was your father at home yesterday evening? Yes ,he was. He _____ (listen) to the radio.
5. They _____(not make) a model ship when I saw him.
6. _____ they ____ (have) a meeting at 4 yesterday afternoon?
No, they _____. They _____ (clean) the classroom.
7. ______ it ______(rain) when you left school? Yes, it ____. (No, it ____)
8. What _____ your father _____ (do) when he was your age?
9. One day, Edison _____ (wait) for a train to arrive, and suddenly a little boy ran to the track(轨道) to play.
10. He asked me if I ______ (go) fishing that afternoon.
11. The three of them were in a hurry because their plane _____ (leave) in five minutes.
12. In a letter, john told us that he _____ (come) to china next month.
13. When the bell rang, jenny _____ (wait) in her seat.
14. She _____ (make) her dress the whole afternoon.
15. While my father ____ (look) through the evening paper, he suddenly ____ a cry.
1. I ______ cooked a meal when you _____ me.
a. cooked, were ringing b. was cooking, rang
c. was cooking, were ringing d. cooked, rang
2. He said he _____ to draw a plane on the blackboard at that time.
a. tries b. tried c. was trying d. will try
3. While she ______ TV, she ______ a sound outside the room.
a. was watching, was hearing b. watched, was hearing
c. watched, heard d. was watching, heard
4. They _____ a football game from 7 to 9 last night.
a. were watching b. watch c. watched d. are watching
5. What book ____ you ______ when I ____ you at four yesterday afternoon?
a. did, read, was seeing b. did, read, saw
c. were, reading, saw d. were, reading, was seeing
6. It was Friday evening. Mr and Mrs. Green _____ ready to fly to England.
a. are getting b. get c. were getting d. got
7. Lei Feng _____ always _____ of others when he ______ in the army.
a. is, thinking, was b. was, thinking, is c. did, think, is d. was, thinking, was
8. A girl ______ my pen fall off the table when she _____ me.
a. saw, passed b. was seeing, passed c. was seeing, passed d. was seeing, was passing
9. We ____ for tom at ten last Sunday. He often kept us ______.
a. were waiting, waiting b. were waiting, wait c. waited, waiting d. waited, wait
10. He ____ his father on the farm the whole afternoon last Saturday.
a. helps b. would help c. was helping d. is helping
11. While mother _______ some washing, I _____ a kite for Kate.
a. did, made b. was doing, made c. was doing, was making d. did, was making
12. “_______ you angry then?” “they ______ too much noise.”
a. are, were making b. were, were making c. are, made d. were, made
13. He ____ some cooking at that time, so _____ me
a. did, heard b. did, didn’t hear c. was doing, heard d. was doing, didn’t hear
14. This time yesterday jack _____ his bike. He _____ TV
a. repaired, didn’t watch b. was repairing, watched
c. repaired, watched d. was repairing, wasn’t watching
15. His parents wanted to know how he _____ on with his new classmates.
a. was getting b. gets c. is getting d. will get 答案： 二、1. were waiting; ran 2. was telephoning; came 3. jumped; was moving4. was testing; went 5. didn’t want; were all working 6. was putting; rang 1. was having 2. was going,were doing 3. were doing,were watching 4. was listening 5. were not making 6. Were having were cleaning 7. was raining 8. did do(do) 9. was waiting 10. was going/would go 11. was leaving 12. is coming /will come 13 was waiting 14. was making 15. was looking ,heard 选择题。Bcdac,cdaac,cbdda