①当谓语动词是be动词时：主语 + was / were …
②当谓语动词是其它动词时：主语 + 动词过去式
1) We moved here five years ago. 我们五年前搬到这里。
2) Julia caught a bad cold yesterday. 朱丽亚昨天得了重感冒。
3) When I was a child we often went to the seaside in August. 在我小的时候，我们经常在八月份去海边。
4) The children often swam in this river before the factory was built here.
5) I used to read newspapers after breakfast. 我以前经常在早餐后读报纸。
6) Mary would stay at home and read a book whenever it rained.
7) I wanted to ask you if you could help me. 我想问你是否能帮助我。
8) We wished you could go for a picnic with us. 我们希望你能跟我们一起去野餐。
9) Would you like a glass of beer? 想要一杯啤酒吗？
10) Should I call him tonight? 我应该今晚给他打电话吗？
11) I think it might rain soon. 我认为可能会下雨。
12) My secretary said that she would let me know as soon as she got the information.
13) I wish I had a better memory. 真希望我的记性能好一点。
14) I'd rather you came tomorrow. 我宁愿你明天来。
(1)表示过去发生的动作或存在的状态，常与表示过去时间的副词yesterday, the other day, last week (year, night, month …), in 1989, two hours ago, just now等连用，如1、2两句；有些句子，虽然没有表示过去确定时间的状语，但实际上是指过去发生的动作或存在的状态，也需要用一般过去时，如：
I didn't know you were in Paris.
(2)表示过去一段时间经常或反复发生的动作。这时可与频度副词often, usually, always等连用，如3、4两句；
(3)表示过去经常发生的动作、过去的习惯等，也可用used to / would + 动词原形 (其中used to表示“过去经常，而今不再”)，如5、6两句；
(4) want, hope, wish, wonder, think等动词可用一般过去时表示现在的一种委婉的语气或一种试探性的态度，如7、8两句；
(5) 情态动词的过去式，如could, would, should, might等可用于现在或将来，表示一种委婉的语气，如9, 10, 11三句；
(7) 用在would rather, wish后面的从句中(虚拟语气)，表示与现在的事实相反的情况，如13, 14两句。
过去进行时的基本结构：主语 + was / were + 动词的现在分词形式
1) At this time, the man downstairs was trying to sleep. 这个时候，楼下的男人正设法入睡。
2) What was David doing at 8:00 yesterday morning? 昨天早上八点，大卫在做什么？
3) The Browns were cleaning the house from 8 to 9. 从八点到九点这段时间，布朗一家在打扫房子。
4) The last time I saw her, she was planning to have a holiday. 上次我见到她的时候，她正盘算着要休个假。
5) Catherine didn't like her roommates, because they were always borrowing things from her.
6) The colleagues didn't want him to leave the department because he was always helping others.
7) The headmaster told us that the President was arriving soon.
8) The couple said they were leaving for Chicago the next month.
(3) 过去进行时与always, usually等连用时，表示过去反复进行的动作，含有赞扬、不满等感情色彩。如句5表示不满，句6表示表示赞扬的感情色彩；
(4) 表示过去将要发生的动作，常出现这种用法的动词有come, go, leave, start, arrive等，如7、8两句。
1. — Have you known Dr Jackson for a long time? — Yes, since she ______ the Chinese Society. (2008 全国I)
A. has joined B. joins C. had joined D. joined
2. I called Hannah many times yesterday evening, but I
couldn't get through. Her brother _____ on the phone all the time! (2008 湖南)
A. was talking B. has been talking C. has talked D. talked
3. I don't believe you've already finished reading the book—I _____it to you this morning! (2008 浙江)
A. would lend B. was lending C. had lent D. lent
4. He _______ football regularly for many years when he was young. (2008 天津)
A. was playing B. played C. has played D. had played
5. — Is there anything wrong, Bob? You look sad.
— Oh, nothing much. In fact, I ________ of my friends back home. (2007 全国II)
A. have just thought B. was just thinking
C. would just think D. will just be thinking
6. — I saw Jane and her boyfriend in the park at eight yesterday evening.
—then. (2007 福建)
A. watched B. had watched C. would watch D. was watching
7. — Ouch! You hurt me!
—out. (2007 江西)
A. didn't mean; tried B. don't mean; am trying
C. haven't meant; tried D. didn't mean; was trying
8. — Jack bought a new mobile phone the other day. — ________? That's his third one in just one
month. (2007 浙江)
A. Had he B. Did he C. Does he D. Has he
9. — I’ve got to go now.
— Must you? I______you could stay for dinner with us.（2009 重庆）
A. think B. thought C. have thought D. am thinking
10．— What do you think of the movie?
— It's fantastic. The only pity is that I __________ the beginning of it. （2009 浙江）
A. Missed B. had missed C. miss D. would miss
Keys: 1-5 DADBB 6-10 DDBBA