Unit2 I’ll help to clean up the city parks!
1. Duty work
2. Brain storm
Have the students give different ideas about the volunteer work:
1) T: If you have a chance to do volunteer work, what would you like to do to help the people around or in your neighborhood?
2) T: Tomorrow we’ll go to an old people’s home, what kinds of volunteer work will you do?
1) Follow the teacher to read the conversation and the phrases in 1a.
2) Have the students write down the other ways they could help people. Step3. Listening
1. Listen to 1b once and then check the answers.
2. Listen to the tape twice , complete 2a and 2b. Then check the answers. Read the five sentences in 2b.
1.T: Helen is making a plan to work in an old people’s home this summer. Now she’s talking with Tom about it. Listen and answer the questions:
1) Did Tom work in an old people’s home? When?
2) What can people help out with when they are in the old people’s home?
3) What do you think of work in the old people’s home?
Listen to the tape twice and try to answer the questions above.
2. Listen and repeat and then underline and discuss the key phrases or structures in the conversation.
Give the students several minutes to prepare for a conversation, it concludes 2c and 2d: Your plan for working in an old people’s home/ the children’s hospital/after-school study center
If time isn’t enough, students can only prepare for it, and then act it out next time. Step6. homework
Notes in Period One:
1.clean up: v+ adv结构，意为：打扫干净，清除干净。
eg:1) Children should help parents clean up the rooms on weekends to relax their
3) After the long summer vacation, we should give our classroom a good 扫除、打扫、清洁)
sick: adj, 生病的、有病的。可作定语、表语。还意：恶心的；呕吐的。 ill: adj, 作定语，意为：坏的、邪恶的。作表语，意为：生病的，有病的。 eg:1) He’s ill/sick.
2) He plans to visit his sick grandma. (不能ill.)
3) Everyone in the village hates the ill man.
4) The terrible smell made us sick.
3.cheer sb up : 使某人高兴、振作。
eg: 1) The volunteers told the sick boy some stories to cheer him up.
2) Only the teacher’s love and encouragement (n,鼓励、激励) can cheer the
4.give out ：1）v+adv结构，=hand out 意为：分发、散发
eg:1) Can you help to hand out the Students Times?
2) The sun gives out light and heat and they make everything grow.
3) After the ten-day holiday, all my money gave out.
5.come up with =think up 想出
eg: 1)I’m sure that we can come up with good ideas to solve the problem.
2)Everyone was worried, because no one could come up with a good solution.
6.help out with sth= help with sth 帮着做某事
eg: Do you often help out with housework during the holiday?
7.used to do: 意为：过去常常做某事。只表示过去和现在的对比，过去存在于过去的动作或状态。
eg: 1) I used to get up at 6:00 am.
2) He used to be late for work.
lonely: adj, 感到孤独的、寂寞的（侧重内心的感受）
alone: adj, 独自的，孤单的（侧重每人陪伴或帮助）
eg:1)Though I am alone at home , I don’t feel lonely, because I am really lost into the
2) The old man lives alone on a lonely island.
1. Duty work
2.Revise the conversations the students prepared last time.
1.Give the students about 2 minutes to read 3a and try to find the answers to the questions in 3b. Then check the answers together.
2. Give the students another several minutes and answer more questions below:
1) What’s Mario’s dream job?
2) When does Maria volunteer?
3) What does Mary love to do? When could she begin to do it?
4)What did Mary volunteer to do last year? Does she still do the work?
According to 3a, complete 3c with infinitives. Then check the answers and read together.
Give the students several minutes to read the article in 3a again. Then have 2-3 students retell the context.
1. Revise the notes
2. Complete 4a-4c
Notes in Period Two：
1.volunteer: vi, vt做自愿者工作 volunteer to do sth 自愿去做某事 volunteer
time to do sth 自愿花时间去做某事
eg: 1) He volunteers at an animal hospital.
2) The students volunteered to help the old people in the neighborhood.
3) We are all volunteers in the great program.
2.give up: 放弃 give up sth/ doing sth 放弃某事/做某事
eg: 1) I will never give up, I’ll try my best.
2) Math is so difficult that he really wants to give up it/ learning it.
3) It’s really hard for my father to give up smoking.
3. satisfaction: n[u], 满意、满足 in satisfaction 满意地
satisfy: vt, 使满足，使满意。
satisfied: adj, 感到满足的，感到满意的。be satisfied with sth, 对……感到满意；
be satisfied to do sth 很满意/满意地做某事
eg: 1) He always work hard to satisfy his boss, but the boss seems never satisfied
with his work.
2) I got a strong feeling of satisfaction at the satisfying result.
4.the look of joy 快乐的表情
joy: n, 快乐，高兴 joyful: adj, 快乐的
eg: 1) He raised his hand with joy.
2) Her life is always full of joy and happiness.
5.try out: 试，实验。是v+adv结构，
eg:1) We have tried this method many times.
2) Have you tried out this idea?
3)He is going to try out for the basketball team. 他准备参加篮球队的选拔。
6.go on different journey with each book 跟着每一本新书进行一次不同的旅行 go on+单数名词短语，意为：进行……， 举行……
eg: go on a trip 去郊游 go on a picnic 去野餐
2.Revise the article in 3a by retelling with students together.
Step2. Grammar Focus
Read the Grammar Focus once.
Step3. Homework Checking and practice
1. Check the homework from 4a-4c
2. Give the students about 2 minutes to read 4b
Step4.Match and read
1. Section B 1a, match the sentences and read them, try to understand every phrasal verb well.
2. Section B 1b, first try to understand every phrasal verb and math them with the nouns. Then make up sentences with them.
Listen to the tape twice and complete 1c, then listen again and tell true or false in 1d Step6. Role playing
Role-play a conversation between Jimmy and the reporter. Use the information in 1c and 1d.
Preview the article in2b
Notes in Period Three
1. raise: vt, 募集； 举起；提高
eg: 1) We are trying to raise money for the people in poor mountain village.
2) The students were very active to raise the hand to answer the questions.
3) They had to raise the price of the vegetables and meat.
2. run out 不及物动词短语，意为：耗尽，用完。主语为物。
run out of 及物动词短语，意为：耗尽，用完。 主语为人。
eg: 1) I bought many books, and all the money that my brother gave me ran out.
2) I bought many books, and I ran out of all the money that my brother gave
3. take after=be similar to 与 ……相似， 和……相像(指外貌、性格、行为等方面
eg: The girl doesn’t take after his mother.
4. fix up: v+adv 结构 意为：修理，修补,修缮
eg: 1)We have fix the house up before we can sell it.
2) His chairs were broken and he still wanted to fix them up.
5. give away：v+adv结构 意为：赠送；分发（奖品）；泄露（情报、秘密等）；
eg:1) John gave all his money and houses to the charity.
2)We’ll invite our headmaster Ms Wang to give away the prize.
3) I think of you as my close friend and wish you not to give my secrets away.
4)I’ll never give away my country, my family and my friend.
1. Duty work
Discuss with your partner about how you usually thank someone who help you. Step2. Presentation
1. Skim the letter and answer the questions.
1) Who wrote the letter to Miss Li? Why?
2) What did Miss Li do?
2. Read the letter again and try to tell the main idea of each paragraph.
After learning the article, discuss the questions in2e with a partner. Then have them give different ideas.
Step4. Parts of Speech
1. Tell the students the importance of understanding parts of speech.
2. Complete 2c and 2d to see if you can understand the parts of speech well. Step5.Discussion
If time permits, discuss all or part of questions in 3a.
Revise the notes
Finish 3b and Self Check
Notes in Period Four
1.set up, build和put up 的区别：
set up: v+adv结构，意为：开办、建立、设立，常接表示组织、机构、团体意义的名词。eg: set up a school/hospital/government/business
build: vt, 意为：建造、建设、建立，为常见表达法。
2. make a difference to… 意为：对……有影响；对……有作用。
make a big/a lot of/no/any/some/much difference to… 意为：对 ……产生巨大影响/对……没影响/对…..产生一些影响
eg: 1)That disaster really made a big difference to his life.
2)Though he was not satisfied with the result, it made no difference to his mood.
3.imagine: vt, 意为：想象；设想。后可接名词、代词、动名词或从句。 eg: 1) Can you imagine our life without electricity?
2) I sat there and imagine it didn’t happen.
3) Can you imagine living alone on a lonely island?
4.difficulty: n[u], 表抽象意义的“困难”
be in difficulty 意为：有困难。
have difficulty ( in) sth/doing sth在做某事方面有困难
with difficulty 困难地；吃力地 without difficulty 容易地；毫不费劲地 eg:1)Who do you usually think of first when you are in difficulty?
2) I’m sure I will have no difficulty in solving the problem.
3)I’m sure to solve the problem without difficulty.
4) I met lots of difficulties during my stay in Newzeland.
5. help sb out 意为：帮助某人摆脱困难。
eg:1) He helped me out with my task.
2) I really can’t afford it, and he helped me out.
6. be excited about… 对……感到激动/兴奋。
eg: 1) He was so excited about his mother’s coming back that he couldn’t fall
asleep until 1:00am.
2) He always keeps calm, it seems that he is never excited about anything.