Unit 8 Our Clothes
Topic 1 What a nice coat!
uniform n. 制服
kimono n. 和服
Read and understand
What can we learn about a person by
looking at his or her clothes?
His or her job
Where he or she comes
His or her moods
Read and understand
The first types of clothes were made of animal skins. People started to wear clothes so that they could protect themselves from the sun, wind, rain and cold. Today, we use different materials to make different kinds of clothes. But in modern society clothes do more than just keep us warm. They can also tell about our jobs, our culture, our hobbies and even our moods. For example, when we see a man in a uniform, we can guess his job from the uniform. When we see a woman in a kimono, we may think that she is Japanese. If a man always wears sportswear, we may think he is active and likes doing exercise. If a person always wears yellow or pink clothes, maybe he or she is lively and easy-going. As the saying goes, “You are what you wear.”
Read 1a and mark True (T) or False (F).
1. The first types of clothes were made of
cotton. F 2. People started wearing clothes only to protect themselves from the cold. F 3. People now believe that our clothes can tell others about our moods. T
4. According to the passage, quiet people
like yellow or pink clothes. F 5. “You are what you wear.” means “You are wearing a kind of
Read 1a again and answer the following questions.
1. Why do we wear clothes? To protect us from the sun, wind, rain and cold. 2. What were the first types of clothes made of? They were made of animal skins.
3. What can our clothes tell about? They can tell people about our jobs, our culture, our hobbies and even our moods. 4. What can we know about a person who always wears yellow or pink clothes? We can know that maybe this person is lively and easy-going.
Remember the following phrases:
It is said that… 据说??
protect …from doing…
keep … warm 使??温暖
for example 例如 You are what you wear. 衣如其人
1. People started to wear clothes so that they could protect themselves from the sun, wind, rain and cold. 人们开始穿衣是为了免受日晒、风吹、雨淋 和寒冷的侵袭。 (1) protect 意为“保护，防护”，其后可直接 跟名词或代词。如： I will protect your child when he is in danger. 当你的孩子遇到危险的时候，我会保护他。
(2) protect … from … 保护??免遭?? I will protect you from everything around you. 我会保护你不受周围一切的伤害。 He raised his arm to protect his child from hurt. 他伸出手去, 保护他的孩子免受伤害。
2. But in modern society clothes do more
than keep us warm.
more than 在此意为“不只是, 不仅仅”， 也可用在名词前。如： Peace is more than the absence of w
Describe the clothes you are wearing today. Then write a passage. The following questions may help you. 1. What are you wearing today? 2. What color / size/ … are your clothes? 3. What materials are they made of? 4. What do you think of them? …
The short passage in the next page
is written by Jane. Read it
carefully. And it may help you with your composition.
My favorite dress is a pink one. My mother bought it in Beijing last year. It’s made of silk. It’s soft and comfortable. The size is M. The style of the dress is fashionable and it looks like a Dai
minority costume. I look quite cute on it.
I like it very much.
so…that …, … so that …, such...that... I like it so much that my father bought it for me. My old coats are so short that I want to buy some new ones. I want to buy a windbreaker so that I will look more handsome. It’s such a cool windbreaker that you should buy it immediately.
Could we meet at the school gate at 8 a.m.? All right. What size would you like? Size M. Could you tell me where to buy a scarf? You are what you wear.
1. Survey your friends about their favourite clothes and fill in the table.
Name Type Color Size Material
2. Write a report about your survey. 3. Present your report to the class.
Different people have different clothes. In modern society _______ (社会), clothes do more than keep us warm. In many countries, a lot of people wear special clothes on special days. For example, at Christmas, some people wear Santa Claus hats ____ (帽子). In winter, Canadian people usually wear coats, ______ gloves (手套), boots and so on. Australians _________ (澳大利亚人) like natural materials. But in the informal days, what people wear __________ depends on (取决于) on their likes and dislikes.
1.Learn some new words and phrases:
society, according to 2.Review the usages of “so … that…” , “… so that …”and
I liked it so much that my father bought it for me. My old coats are so short that I want to buy some new ones. People started to wear clothes so that they could protect. themselves from the sun, wind, rain and cold. It’s such a cool windbreaker that you should buy it immediately. 3.Learn some information from people’s clothes.
Make sentences using “so … that …, …
so that …”.
1. 他总是惹那么多麻烦, 因此没有人跟他
1. He always makes so much trouble that
nobody wants to play with him.
2. The dog is so lovely that we all like it.
3. Tom got up early so that he could catch
the early bus.