I made up mind mind to drive to South Carolina to meet my friends in my used car. Though I had been there once (1) _____ and did not know the way very well, I was on the (2) _____ after I had made some inquiries.
At Ashvelle, there was a crossroad. I could go on along the main road or I could take a short cut. The short cut was to (3) _____ several hills and was dangerous. I hesitated for a (4) _____ while and then chose the main road, for I wanted to be (5) _____.
Something happened after I drove a long way and found it was not the correct road that I wanted to (6) _____ but the hilly road I decided to avoid. I realized that it was at the (7) _____ that I had made the (8) _____ mistake. “What shall I do?” I asked myself. If I went back to take that road again, it would be very late (9) _____ the time I got to Columbia. Thinking it (10) _____, I decided to go on. “If (11) _____ people can go along this road, why can’t I?” I (12) _____ myself.
The short cut, to my surprise, was not that (13) _____, in fact, it was only a very peaceful country road, (14) _____ up and down two low hills. There was (15) _____ traffic. On both sides of the road, you could see trees, wild flowers, and (16) _____ with cows and horses. My fear was (17) _____ with the wind. Listening to the beautiful country music over my car stereo(立体声), I drove on and (18) _____ the scenery which was so quiet and so natural. Even my used car forgot to give me (19) _____. It was just in this lightheartedness that I arrived at my destination. My friends, after they heard what had happened to me, (20) _____ said it sounded like an adventure.
1. A. before B. ago C. already D. still
2. A. train B. car C. highway D. way
3. A. have B. go C. ride D. cross
4. A. few B. little C. long D. lot
5. A. safe B. dangerous C. fast D. slow
6. A. go B. leave C. take D. drive
7. A. crossroad B. comer C. station D. beginning
8. A. direction B. road C. disappointed D. interesting
9. A. to B. from C. at D. by
10. A. about B. over C. of D. up
11. A. another B. the other C. other D. other
12. A. asked B. forced C. encouraged D. told
13. A. far B. safe C. dangerous D. dirty
14. A. going B. coming C. driving D. walking
15. A. heavy B. little C. few D. light
16. A. farms B. trucks C. houses D. villages
17. A. together B. gone C. cover D. coming
18. A. looked B. liked C. enjoyed D. found
19. A. happy
20. A. all
B. scenery B. they 11. C 12. C 13. C 14. A 15. B 16. A 17. B 18. C 19. D 20. A C. joys D. problems C. which D. who