In England you usually drink tea with milk.
1.Grasp the key words and key structure:
experience, stay, for the first time, shoulder … you must say Mr or Mrs when you meet someone for the first time.
2. Reading aim:
To write about customs in your hometown.
We should learn to develop our sense of traditional culture.
逗留；停留 n. 某人；有人 pron.
for the first time 首次；初次 /'s? ndwId?/ 三明治；夹心面包片 n. sandwich /t?Ip/
炸土豆条；炸薯条 n. 炸鱼加炸薯条
fish and chips
/'?nt?/ /'d?entlm?n/ /'???ld?/
到……之上； 向……之上 prep. 先生；男士 n. 肩；肩膀 n.
onto gentleman shoulder
1 Work in pairs. Look at the pictures and talk about what you can see.
2 Read My experience in England. Which sentences describe what you can see in the pictures in Activity 1?
My experience in England By Wang Hui I went to England last year. I enjoyed my stay, and I noticed something interesting with the English way of life. For example, you must say Mr. or Mrs. when you meet someone for the first time. When you get to know each other better or when they ask you to,
you can just use their first names. One day we visited some friends and had afternoon tea together. Afternoon tea is not just a drink but a light meal at around 4 pm. We ate sandwiches and a large fruit cake. In England, you usually drink tea with milk. So I tried to drink tea with milk too. Fish and chips is the traditional food in England. You can buy it and eat it in special fish and chip shops on the high street, or you can take it away and eat it with your fingers! It is delicious!
At the bus stop you must not push your way onto
the bus. You need to stand in a line and wait your
turn. Sometimes people are slow to get on the bus.
Once I noticed a gentleman touch a young man on the shoulder, smile politely and say, “Excuse me! Are you waiting for this bus?” He was really polite.
3 Choose the correct answer.
1 When you are talking to your friends, you may call them . a) by their first names √ b) Mr. or Mrs. 2 When you are invited for afternoon tea, you will have . a) tea b) a light tea
3 If you drink tea in England, it will usually contain . b) sugar .
4 The traditional food in England is a) steak and potatoes b) fish and chips √ 5 At a bus stop, it is important that you
a) wait in line
b) smile politely
4 Write full answers to the questions. Use the words and expressions in the box.
for the first time meal meet something interesting stand in a line take away
1. What did Wang Hui notice when he was in England? He noticed something interesting when he was in England.
2. What is one example of the English way of
life? For example, you must say Mr or Mrs when you
meet someone for the first time. 3. What do you eat for afternoon tea? You can eat sandwiches or a large fruit cake, and drink tea
4. How can you eat fish and chips? You can eat fish and chips in shops or take
it away and eat it with your fingers. 5. How do people do when they wait for the
bus? They need to stand in a line and wait for their turn when they wait for the bus.
5 Work in pairs. Answer the questions about ways of life in your home town?
1 What do you do when you meet people for the first time? 2 What must you say when you talk to older people? 3 What food and drink do you give to visitors when
they come to your home?
4 What do you eat during the Spring Festival?
6 Writing a passage about ways of life in your
home town. Use your answers to the questions
in Activity 5 to help you.
When we meet people for the first time in our hometown, we usually…
1. For example, you must say Mr or Mrs when you meet someone for the first time. 比如，初次与人 见面时，你必须称呼先生或女士。 for the first time表示“初次，第一次”。 e.g. For the first time in his life he felt truly happy. 有生以来他第一次真正感到幸福。 It rained for the first time since we arrived in Sydney. 自从我们到悉尼以来，这是第一次下雨。
2. Afternoon tea is not just a drink but a light
meal at around 4 pm.
e.g. Ms liu is not just a teacher but a very good
friend of ours.
3. Fish and chip is the traditional food in England.
fish and chips 译为“炸鱼加炸薯条”，这个名词词组
至有人称之为“英国国菜”。这道菜起源于19世纪中 期的英国，为了保持肉质的鲜美，人们将鱼裹上美味 的浆粉进行炸制，同时配上炸薯条。现在这道菜也流 行于澳大利亚、美国等国家。
4. You can buy it and eat it in special fish and chip shops on the high street... 你可以在大街上的炸鱼加炸薯条 店购买并食用 它…… 有人将high street译为“高街”，但high street 绝不是指街的路面比较高，而是指一个城镇的繁华 的商业大街或主街。在大城市，每一个区域都有自 己的“高街”，比如伦敦的Oxford Street（牛津 街）、纽约的42nd Street（42号大街），还有我国 大城市的繁华商业街，如北京的西单和王府井、上 海的淮海路和南京路等。
5. ... or you can take it away and eat it with your fingers! 或者你可以把它（炸鱼加炸薯条）带走，然后直接 用手拿着吃！ take away 在这里特指将餐馆的食品带走，而不是在 餐馆食用。 e.g. —Would you eat it here or take it away? 您是在这吃还是带走？ —I'll take it away. 带
走。 因此在英国，外卖食品被称为“takeaway”。 e.g. The restaurant provides takeaway service. 这家餐馆提供外卖服务。
6. Once I noticed a gentleman touch a young man on the shoulder ... 有一次我看到一位先生拍了拍一位 年轻人的肩膀…… touch sb. on the shoulder 表示“拍某人的肩膀”,是 英语的惯用表达，其他类似的表达例子如： pat sb. on the head 拍某人的头 kick sb. in the leg 踢某人的腿
1. 我们认为你昨天做得好。 We think you ____________ did very well yesterday. 2. 刚才两位男生在课堂上睡着了。 were asleep in class just now. Two boys __________ 3. 他从床上跳起来, 没吃早餐就上学了。 He _____________ jumped out of bed and went to without breakfast school _________________. Did she cry last night ? 4. 她昨晚哭了吗？__________ 5. 昨天他没弄坏那张椅子。 He _____________ didn’t destroy the chair yesterday.
1. You ____ park your car here. You’ll get a ticket, if you do. A. won’t B. shan’t C. mustn’t D. needn’t 【答案】C 2. I was really anxious about you. You ____ home without a word. A. mustn’t leave B. shouldn’t have left C. couldn’t have left D. needn’t leave 【答案】 B
3. The traffic is heavy these days. I ____ arrive a bit late, so could you save me a place? A. can B. must C. need D. might 【答案】D 4. You ____ pay me now; I can easily wait till next week for the money. A. need B. needn’t C. must D. ought to 【答案】B
5. The room is in a terrible mess; it ____ cleaned. A. can’t have been B. shouldn’t have been C. mustn't have been D. wouldn't have been 【答案】C 6. We ___ the letter yesterday, but it didn't arrive. A. must receive B. ought to receive C. must have received D. ought to have received 【答案】 D
7. We haven’t seen our neighbors for over a week. They ____ on a trip abroad. A. could go B. may have gone C. must go D. should have gone 【答案】B 8. George was good at Maths. He ____ me the answer but he refused to. A. ought to tell B. might tell C. would have told D. could have told 【答案】D
( C ) 1)One of us __ go to school yesterday. A. wasn’t B. doesn’t C. didn’t ( D ) 2) ___ you stay at home last Sunday ? A. Do B. Were C . Did ( B ) 3) She took my pen without ___ me. A. ask B. asking C. asked ( B ) 4) They decide ___ hard from now on. A. study B. to study C. studying ( C ) 5) This concert _____ a popular song. A. began in B. began to C. began with
?Recite all the language points and practice more. ?Tell your partner about the customs and traditions in your hometown.