I’ll help to clean up the city park.
? Do you want to be a volunteer? ? How could we help people?
Look at the pictures. What are they doing?
They help to sent food to the poor people.
They help to examine the health condition of the old.
They help to cut the hair of the poor.
They help to clean the yards of the community.
They help to keep the bus-stop clean.
Other ways you could help people
Help the old to go across the road. Give your seat to the old, the children, or the woman who will have a baby. Make the old people who are spending their left life in the elder community laugh. Any others?
1. What can you see in these pictures?
There are some people who need help.
Would you like to be a person who can
Would you like to be a person who has to be helped by others?
We have heard of many good
deeds done by volunteers all over
the country. They are great. They
give people help without hope of
2. How could we help people ?
You could help clean up the parks.
You could help sick people in the hospital.
I’d like to cheer up sick kids.
Language goals: How to offer help. Key sentences: I hope to work outside . You could help to clean up the city parks. New vocabularies: clean up(打扫干净) give out (分发) hunger(饥)
homeless(无家的) cheer up(使高兴起来)
clean up the street
cheer up the elderly
give out the posters 分发,发放
--I’d like to help others on volunteer
-- You could clean up the street.
1a. Look at the ways you could help people. in the picture. Then list other ways.
Other ways you could help people ___________________________________ ___________________________________ ___________________________________ ___________________________________
1b. Listen and number the ways the boy and girl could help others.
3 The girl could visit the sick kids in the _____ hospital to cheer them up.
2 _____ The boy could give out food at the food bank.
4 The girl could volunteer in an after-school study _____
program to teach kids.
1 The boy could help to clean up the city parks. _____
give out 分发，派发 使振奋、高兴 打扫干净 动词, 志愿效劳、主动贡献
clean up volunteer
1c. Pair work
A: I hope to work outside. B: You could give out food at the food bank to help feed them.
2a. A group of students are planning a City Park Clean-Up Day. Listen and check the things they are going to tell people about it.
2b. Listen again and fill in the blanks.
1. We need to _____ come ____ up ______ with a plan to tell people about the city park clean-up. 2. Clean-up Day is only two weeks from now. put _______ off We can’t ______ making a plan. 3. We could _____ put ______ up signs. 4. Let’s make some notices, too. Then I’ll hand them ________ out _____ after school. 5. We could each _____ call _____ up 10 students and ask them to come.
Do you know their meaning
come up with put off write down put up hand out to write something on the paper to give many people something, usually on the street. to think of some ideas to ask many people to do something to make something done later
to raise something
2c. Make a conversation using the
information in 2a and 2b.
A: We need to come up with a plan for the City Park Clean-Up Day. B: Let’s have lunch first. A: No, we need to start now. CleanUp Day is only two weeks from now.
2d. Role-play the conversation.
Helen: Hi, Tom. I’m making some plans to work in an old people’s home this summer Tom: Really? I did that last summer! Helen: Oh, what did they ask you to help out with? Tom: Mm …things like reading the newspaper to the old people, or just talking to them. They told me stories about the past and how things used to be.
Helen: That sounds interesting.
Tom: Yeah, a lot of old people are lonely. We
should listen to them and care for them
Helen: You’re right. I mean, we're all going to
be old one day, too.
1. You could help clean up the city park.
help (to) do “帮助做??”。例如： Teachers criticisms help improve our study. help do 和help doing help 后接不定式，可带to, 也可不带to。help后可接 动名词，但与help do的意思完全不同。help doing 常用于否定句，与cannot连用，构成cannot help doing,表示“不禁；禁不住；不得不”的意思， 相当于can’t but do. e.g. I can’t help thinking so.
2. We need to come up with a plan. (1) need用作实义动词，有“必要”、“必需” 之 意，有人称、数和时态的变化，可以接名 词、代词、动名词或带to 的动词不定式作宾 语，构成疑问句和否定句时要借助于助动 词。 e.g. Do you need to see him yourself?
(2) need用作情态动词, 意为“必须”、“必 要”，没有人称、数的变化，后接不带to 的 动 词不定式。 通常用于疑问句和否定句中，构 成疑问句和否定句时，不需要使用助动词。 e.g. Need you go to the park with your classmate?
(3) 由need引出的疑问句，答语表肯定时用 must或have to；表示否定时用needn’t或 don’t have to。例如： A: Need I come to work tomorrow? B: Yes, you must/have to.
3. We could put up signs. sign 是名词，具体用法如下： (1) “标牌，招牌”。例如： the sign of barber’s shop (2) “记号，符号”。 (3) “示意动作”。例如： The teacher made a sign to us to be quiet. (4) “迹象，征兆”。 例如： A red sky at sunset is a sign of good weather.
3a. Read the article. What do Mario and Mary volunteer to do? Students Who Volunteer
Mario Green and Mary Brown from Riverside High School give up several hours each week to help others.
Mario loves animals and wants to be an animal doctor. He volunteers at an animal hospital every Saturday morning. Mario believes it can
help him to get his future dream job. “It’s hard
work,” he says, “but I want to learn more about how to care for animals. I get such a strong feeling of satisfaction when I see the animals get better and the look of joy on their owners’ faces.” Mary is a book lover. She could read by herself at the age of four. Last year, she decided to try out for a volunteer after-school reading program.
She still works there once a week to help kids learn to read. “The kids are sitting in the library, but you can see in their eyes that they’re going on a different journey with each new book. Volunteering here is a dream come true for me. I can do what I love to do and help others at the same time.”
3b. Read the article and answer the questions below.
1. Why do Mario and Mary volunteer to help others? 2. What do they say about volunteering?
3c. Use infinitives to complete the sentence below.
1. Mario would like ______an to be animal doctor. 2. Mario works for an animal hospital because he wantsto ______ learn about how_______ to care for animals. to look for a job at an after3. Mary decided ________ school reading program last year. She still works there now_______ to help kids learn to read. 4. Mary has a dream job because she can do what she loves________. to do
1.They told me stories about the past and how things used to be. 他们给我讲过去的生活经历，讲过去是社么样 子的。 Use to be 表示过去一度存在，但现在已经消失 的某一特定情形。作这一用法时， used to 常与 Be, have, live, stay, like, love 等词语连用，表示 “曾经” 例如： She used to be a very close friend of mine.
Use to 还可用来表示“过去常常做某事，但
He used to arrive late last year, but now
他去年常常迟到，但现在不了。 Did you use to sing when you took a shower? 你以前经常在洗澡时唱歌吗？
2. I get such a strong feeling of satisfaction when I see the animals get better and the look of joy on their owners' faces.” 当我看到动物们病情渐好，看到它们主人脸上 喜悦的表情时，我产生那么一种极强的满足感。 “get” 两次用法各不相同。 第一个get意思是 “ 产生，形成”，为及物动词， 常与feeling （感觉，情感），idea（想法，主意）等词搭配 使用，例如：
Do you get the feeling that we’re not welcome here? How did you get such an idea?
第二个 get 为系动词，后接形容词，表示体质、 情绪、天气等方面的变化，通常译作“变为” 如： He got angry with me after that. It’s getting hotter now.
3. She could read by herself at the age of four.
“by +反身代词” 表示“独自地；独立的”，
e.g. Children should learn to do things by
4. Volunteering here is a dream come true for me. 在这里当志愿者对我
来说是梦想成真。 此句中 a dream come true 表示梦想成真，是 固定搭配，再如： I got the latest CD player as a birthday present yesterday. It was just a dream come true! 昨天我收到一份生日礼物，是那种最新的CD 播放机，真是梦想成真啦。
volunteer可以为及物动词，意为“自愿献出”； 它还可以做不及物动词，意为“自愿”；还可以 做名词，意为“志愿者”。例如： Would you like to volunteer your money to help him? I volunteer to help the disabled people. These students are volunteers.
一 根据句意和首字母，填写所缺单词。 1. I am very h________. ungry Give me some food, please. 2. It is Friday today. Don’ t p___ ut off it any more. oluntry and he often helps 3. He is a v________, others to do housework. epairing it 4. My computer is broken. He is r________ for me. 5. There is a s_____. igh It says “No Smoking!”
B.根据汉语提示完成句子。 clean up the city park. 6. I’ll help__________________________ (把城市公园打扫干净). put off all the plans. 7. We can’ t _________________________ (推迟所有计划). cheer up the sick children. 8. I’d like to _________________________ (鼓舞生病的孩了). 9. We’re going to_____________________ set up a food bank. (建立一家 food bank) to help hungry people. 10. You could _________ give out (分发食物) at a food bank.
B 1. He looks sad. Let’s________.
A. cheer up him
C. fix up him A. fix up
B. cheer him up
D. cheer he up
A tables before the party. 2. We’re going to_____
B. put up C. set up D. cut up B. put…on…
3. I didn't sell it. I ____ D it ______.
C. put …down…
4. I don' t have any more of these kind of paper. I have ________it. D A. run of out B. run of C. run out D. run out of 5. If the UFO came, I would ____the police. C A. call out B. speak out C. call up D. speak up B 6. We can' t ______reviewing, because the final test is only three weeks. A. put out B. put off C. put down D. write down
7. We could_______ D some movie posters on the wall of our cinema. A. put out B. put off C. put down D. put up 8. I’d like to join the school volunteer project, A but _____ A.what I should do B. what should I do D. write down our cinema.
Revise the phrases learned in this section and try to make sentences with them.