1. ________ we had tried our best, we still lost the game.
2. She’s been playing tennis ____ she was eight.
3. I left the key_____ on the table ___ in the drawer.
4. Don’t arrive late again, _____ you will be fired (开除).
5. ___ it rains, they will stay at home.
6. The old man didn’t buy the coat ______ he couldn’t afford it.
7. Please turn on the light ______ we can see what it is.
8. These glasses are very expensive, ____ please be careful with them.
9. Don’t come here _____ I give you a call.
10. _____ I was waiting at the bus stop, three buses went by in the opposite direction.
II. Multiple choice
1. — Oh, I failed again.
— Don’t lose heart. Try again, ___ I’m sure you will succeed
sooner or later.
A. for B. therefore
C. however D. and
2. English is understood all over the world ____Turkish is spoken by only a few people outside Turkey.
A. while B. when C. if D. as
3. Tom made up his mind to get a ticket for the football match ____ it meant that he had to stand in a queue all night.
A. so that B. or
C. though D. if
4. The roof fell in ____ he had time to run into the house to save his baby.
A. as B. after C. until D. before
5. ____ the man grew older, he lost interest in everything except gardening.
A. So B. Since C. While D. As
6. Ten years has passed ____ my father set up this company.
A. when B. while
C. before D. since
7. You can’t buy both of them. You can choose _____ the basketball ____ the toy car.
A. either; or B. both; and
C. neither; or D. not only; but also
8. ____ he tells me the truth, I will never say a word to him.
A. If B. Unless
C. Until D. Since
9. She worked hard ____ everything would be ready by the time her manager came back.
A. since B. so that
C. if D. unless
10. — May I go and play football with Dick this afternoon, Dad? — No, you can’t go out ___ your homework is done.
A. since B. as
C. until D. after
11. My aunt asks whether I like a woolen sweater ___ a cotton one.
A. but B. or C. and D. not
12. Either Mary ___ Lucy told him to come to see us.
A. or B. and C. with D. nor
13. Hurry up, ___ we'll be late for the film.
A. and B. but C. so D. or
14. Be quick, ____ we'll be late.
A. and B. or C. but D. so
15. We ran to the trees, ___ we couldn't see any more monkeys.
A. but B. so C. and D. for
16. ___ Li Ping ___ Wu Fang ___ League members.
A. Neither; nor; are B. Either; nor; is
C. Both; and; are D. Neither; or; is
17. ___ Jack ____ Tom watched TV yesterday evening because they were busy with their lessons.
A. Both; and B. Not only; but also
C. Not; but D. Neither; nor
18. You may sit___ this end___ that end of the boat.
A. neither; nor B. both; and
C. either; or D. between; and
19. None of the shoes are the right size. They are ___ too big ____ too small.
A. or; or B. either; or
C. neither; or D. both; and
20. When Lily was three, she could____ read____ write.
A. not; but B. not; and
C. neither; nor D. either; or
1. The accident will influence this school, and it will influence other schools in this city.
The accident will influence ____ ____ this school ___ ____ other schools in this city.
2. I like playing the piano and my sister likes playing it too. _____ my sister ____ I like playing the piano.
3. The little boy can’t read or write now.
The little boy can ______ read _____ write now.
4. Don’t drive so fast, or you will have an accident.
____ you drive so fast, you _____ have an accident.
5. It was so hot that we went swimming yesterday.
It was _____ a hot day ____ we went swimming yesterday. IV. 语篇填空：阅读下列短文，在空格处填上适当的连词。
My mother insisted 1____ everyone in her life treat her with respect. 2______________________ she wasn't wealthy 3____ well educated, my mother not only understood and appreciated her value, 4____ believed in it strongly. 5______ she learned my father was cheating on her, she insisted that he move out of our home. Not the next day or the next week. … To me, as a child, 6____ she refused to take my father back seemed harsh, even cruel. As a woman, 7_________, I have come to understand it. For my mother, putting Daddy out of the house 8____ her life wasn't about pride; it was about principle. The one had always lived by. The one 9 __________ she believed in with all her heart: No one was going to love and respect you 10________ you loved and respected yourself.