Rainy days make me sad. Section B
易护牌洗发精 Easy Care Shampoo
What are these products? What are they used for?
What do your friends say about the products and the ads?
Match each slogan with one of the products. 把标语和每一种产品配对。
sun glasses For that mysterious look 增加你的神秘感 For silky skin 使你有如丝般肌肤
Whiter than white 让你的牙齿白上加白 For the shiniest hair ever 使你的头发从此亮起来
Listen. Do the people like the products in activity 1a Write “Yes” for the products they like and “No” for the products they don’t like.听录音。
人们喜欢活动1a中的产品吗？写下“Yes”表示他们喜欢的产品， 写下“No”表示他们不喜欢的产品。 Products 产品 No ________1 ．Easy Care Shampoo 简易洗发香波 ________2 ．Lookout Sunglasses No 遮光太阳镜 Yes ________3 ．Beauty Cream 美白面霜 What people say 人们怎么说 a．It tastes terrible． 它的味道很难闻。 b．It worked really well． 它确实起作用。 c．They don't even keep out the sun． 它们甚至挡不住阳光。 No ________4 ．Starshine Toothpaste d．It didn't work． 星亮牙膏 它不起作用。
2b. Listen again. Whatdo the people say about the
products? Draw lines to match.重新听遍录音，关于这些 产品人们说什么了？画线搭配
Products ___ No 1. Easy Care Shampoo
No 2. Lookout Sunglasses ___ Yes ___ 3. Beauty Cream No 4. Starshine Toothpaste ___
What people say a. It tastes terrible. b. It worked really well. c. They don’t even keep out the sun. d. It didn’t work.
Girl1: Wow! Look at this ad for Easy Care Shampoo. For the shiniest hair ever. Boy: I can?t stand ads like that! They make me really mad. Girl1: Why? Boy: They make you think that you can look like the person in the ad. But I bought that shpmpoo and it didn?t work. Girl2: I agree. Look at this one. Lookout Sunglasses. For that mysterious look. I?ll bet they don?t even keep out the sun. Boy: And what about this one! Beauty Cream—the silky skin soap. Girl2: Wait a minute! I tried Beauty Cream and it works really well. It makes your skin really soft. Have you ever tried Starshine Toothpaste? Girl1: Oh, you mean Whiter than White? Yeah, I tried it and it tastes terrible. I?d never use it. Boy: I guess you shouldn?t believe everything you read.
2c Doing groupwork
A: Have you ever had Beijing Duck? B: Yeah. I love it. A: Have you ever used a computer? B: Yeah. I love it. A: Have you ever ridden a bike? B: No, I don’t love it. A: Have you ever used a handphone? B: Yeah. I love it. A: Have you ever drunk wine? B: No. Never. I don’t love it.
go to a concert surf the sea see a cartoon movie
A: Have you ever had Beijing Duck? B: Yeah. I
love it. A: Have you ever had…? B: Yeah. And it made me…
3b. Complete this article using the information about two or more products in 2a and 2b. Some advertisements tell the truth and some don’t .
For example, the Easy Care Shampoo says it will give you the shiniest hair ever. But my friend tried it and
found it didn’t work. Lookout Sunglasses advertised
don’t even keep out the sun! And there is the Starshine
Toothpaste. It tastes terrible. It smells! But the Beauty
Cream is a real thing . It works really well for me.
1b Make a list of three products you like and three products you don’t like. 列出你喜欢的三种产品和你不喜欢的三种产品。
Which slogan do you like best?
Anything is possible. 一切皆有可能. Keep moving. 永不止步。 Just do it. 只管去做。
Obey your thirst. 服从你的渴望（雪碧） Ask for more. 渴望无限。（百事流行鞋） Let’s make things better. 让我们做得更好(飞利浦电子） Impossible made possible. 使不可能变为可能（佳能打印机）
Good to the last drop. 滴滴香浓，意犹未尽（麦斯威尔咖啡） Take TOSHIBA, take the world拥有东芝，拥有世界
Try to write some slogans about them. Save the water
Advertising: pros and cons
Advertising: pros and cons In the modern world, advertising is everywhere！Some people think that ads are great. Others hate ads, saying that they make our cities and countryside look ugly. Many ads are aimed specially at teenagers, and some young people see mo re than 100 advertisements a day. It?s true that some ads can be very useful. For instance, they can help you to compare two different products so that you can buy the one you really need. They can also help you save money. When prices are listed, you can go to the store with the lowest price. Ads also tell you when stores are having sales. However, some advertising can be confusing or misleading. Sometimes the words sound good but don?t really tell you anything about the quality of the product. At other times, the picture in an ad looks a lot better than the real thing. And you have to be careful. At times an ad can lead you to buy something you don?t need at all.
Advertising：pros and cons ? 广告：正反两方面 In the modern world, advertising is everywhere! Some people think that ads are great. 在当代世界上， 广告铺天盖地。 有些人认为广告非常好。 Others hate ads, saying that they make our cities and countryside look ugly． 另一些人却痛恨广告，说广告使得我们的城市和乡村看上去变丑了。 Many ads are aimed specifically at teenagers, and some young people see more than 100 很多广告定位于青少年， 而有些年轻人一天要看100多幅广 advertisements a day．It's true that some ads can
be very useful．For instance, they can help 告。 确实有些广告很有用。 例如，它们能帮助 you to compare two different products so that you can buy the one you really need． 你比较两种不同的产品， 以便你能买到你确实需要的东西。 They can also help you save money．When prices are listed, you can go to the store with 它们还能帮你省钱。 当价格标出来的时候，你可以到标价最低 the lowest price．Ads also tell you when stores are having sales. However, some advertising 的商店去买。 广告还能告诉你商店什么时候大甩卖。 然而， 有些广告却会 can be confusing or misleading．Sometimes the words sound good but don't really tell you 迷惑你或误导你。 有时候广告词听起来相当好，然而却没有 anything about the quality of the product．At other times, the picture in an ad looks a lot better 真正告诉你任何有关产品的质量。 还有些时候， 广告上的图片比实物看上去要漂亮得 than the real thing．And you have to be careful．At times an ad can lead you to buy something 多。 你必须当心。 有时，一个广告就可能引导你买了你 you don?t need at all． 根本不需要的东西。
Reading carefully and fill in the chart.
Advertising: pros and cons Advantages Ads can help you of ads ________________ compare products . money Ads can help you save __________. Disadvantag Ads make our cities and es of ads countries ________. look ugly Ads can be confusing ________and __________. misleading Ads can lead you to buy something useless ____________________.
1 Many ads are aimed specifically at teenagers, and some young people see more than 100 advertisements a day.许多广告是特别针对青少年的，并且有些年轻 人一天能看见100多条广告。 【讲解】（1）和specifical相关的副词是specifically，意思是“专门地；特别 地”。如： I came here specifically to ask you a question.我是专门来问你一个问题的。 （2）句子中的aim是一个动词，意思是“针对”。它常构成词组be aimed at sb.， 意思是“针对某人”。 The advertising plan is aimed at young people.这项广告计划是以年轻人为对象的。 The program is aimed at a teenage audience.这个节目针对的是十几岁的观众。 My remarks were not aimed at you.我的话不是针对你的。 动词aim还可以表示“瞄准”“以……为目标”等意思。如： He aimed with the gun.他用枪瞄准。 He aimed the gun at the enemy officer.他用枪瞄准了敌军军官。 【例1】汉译英 （1）他小心翼翼地用枪瞄准狮子，然后开了枪。 _______________________________________________________ He aimed the gun carefully at the lion and fired. （2）他是一个瞄得准的炮手。 _______________________________________________________ He is a gunner aiming well. （3）你的话是针对准呢？ ______________________________________
Whom are your remarks aimed at?
Ads also tell you when stores are having sales.广告也告诉你何时商店有廉价出 售。 【讲解】句子中的词组have sales意思是“廉价出售”。其中的sale意思是 “贱售；贱卖”。如： The department store is having a sale this week.那家百货商店本周大减价。 I picked up some real bargains in the January sales this year.我在今年一月份大减价 时买了一些真正的便宜货。 归纳：sale构成的词组常见的有：on sale上市；出售；廉价出售 The new model is not on sale in the shops.这种新款尚未上市。 for sale待售 I?m sorry this painting is not for sale.很抱歉，这幅画是非卖品。 Excuse me, are these for sale? 请问，这些是准备出售的吗？ 【例4】汉译英 1）这种新款尚未上市。 The new model is not on sale in the shops. ? _______________________________________________________ 2）此屋出售吗？ Is the house for sale？ ? _______________________________________________________
1. pros and cons
n. 赞成和反对的理由 例如：
To consider all the pros and cons of a matter before reaching a decision.作出决定前先好好考虑所有赞成和反对的理由。 2. It’s true that some ads can be very useful. 一些广告的确很有用。 (1)It’s + adj. +that 其中it 是形式主语,代替that引导的主语从句。 如：It is strange that be had made a mistake. 真怪, 他竟做错了。 (2) useful adj. 有用的 useless adj. 无用的, 无价值的 e.g. a useful idea 有用的主意 a few useless suggestions 一些无价值的建议
3. For instance, they can help you to compare two different products so that you can buy the one you really need. 他们能够帮你比较两种不同的产品,以至于你能买到 你真正需要的那个。 (1)for instance常用来引述证明论点或表明观点的范 例，可与 for example互用。例如： He is very strong. For instance, he held up a huge stone easily yesterday. 他很强壮，比如他昨天轻而易举地举起了 一块大石头。 (2) compare 比较，对照 compare...with... 把……与……相比 e.g. If we compare French schools with British schools, we will find many differences.如果我们把法国的学校与英国的学校相比 会 发现许多不同之处。 compare...to... 把……比作…… The poet compares the woman he loves to a rose. 这位诗人把他所钟情的女人比作玫瑰花。
(3) so that 在此引导一个目的状语从句，意为“以便； 为了”。 从句中的谓语动词常出现can, may, will 等词。 e.g. You should return the digital camera to Mary so that she will not be angry. 你应该还给玛丽那个数码相机， 以便她不会生气。当从句主语与主句主语一致时, 可用in order to 改为简单句。 We have to finish the task on time so that we can start another. We have to finish the task on time ________ In order to start a
nother. so that还可引导结果状语从句。 My pen fell under my desk, so that I couldn’t see it. 我的钢笔掉在课桌下了, 以致我看不见它了。 (4) the one you really need 是定语从句, the one 是定语从句中 的先行词, that作为引导词在从句中做宾语省略掉了。
4. However, some advertising can be confusing or misleading.
(1)confuse v. 使迷惑 e.g. I often confuse Lee with his brother. They look very much alike.我常把李和他的弟弟弄混了。
confusing adj. 令人迷惑的 The instructions are very confusing and I can’t understand them.
(2) mislead v. 使某人做错, 误导 misleading adj. He is a good boy，but bad companions misled him. 他是个好孩子，但坏伙伴把他带坏了。 Don’t let his friendly manner mislead you into trusting him. 不要让他那种友好的态度使你误信他。 a misleading description / advertisement 误导人的描述（广告）
7. At times an ad can lead you to buy something you don't need at all.
(1) at times, sometimes 有时 at times= sometime，是副词性短语，表示事物发生的 频率。如：He is late for school at times.他有时上学迟到。 对含有at times的短语进行提问时，用How soon，
(2) lead sb. to do 怂勇, 引诱句子中的lead是一个动词，意思是 “引导；致使”。它可以构成词组lead sb.to do sth.， 意思是“引导/致使某人做某事”。如： What led you to take up acting as a career? 是什么让你开始从事演艺事业的？ Mike’s death led me to rethink whatI wanted out of life. 迈克的死让我重新思考自己的生活追求。 lead用作动词，它还可以表示“引路”“领导”等意思。如： He led us to his home.他把我们带到他家。 You lead and we’ll follow.你在前面带路，我们跟着。
lead a happy life 过上一种幸福的生 lead the way 带路；领路
6. If you think flowers are too feminine a gift for a man to receive，you can consider giving a plant instead.如果你认为鲜花对一位男士来说太女性化 而不好接受，你可以考虑送一种植物。 疑点：consider doing sth. 考虑做某事，如：I?m considering changing my job.我正在考虑换工作。 难点：consider还可以加that从句，表示“考虑 到…”；还可以组成短语consider sb. +n/adj， 表示 “把…看作/认为…”。如：If you consider that she?s only been studying English for six months， she speaks it well. 如果考虑到她学英语才六个月， 那么她讲英语讲得的确不错了。Do you consider her suitable for the job？你认为她做这工作合适吗？
I would love to jump out of a plane.
Not me. This picture makes me feel tense.
4 Doing pairwork ? A: I would love to make friends with the
two pretty girls. ? B: Not, me. This poster makes me angry! ? A: I would love to see this movie. ? B: Not, me. This poster makes me terrified! ? A: I would love to visit this park. ? B: Me, too. This poster makes me excited!
uncomfortable makes me feel ______________. Loud music__________
would rather __________tennis play I __________ ________ than
go ___________. swimming ____
have ______ to hurry up ______ so ______ that We _______
we can catch the last train.
aim ____ at _________ doing You should always _________
your job well. 5. 悲伤的电影只会让我想要离开。
make me Sad movies just __________
want to ________. leave _____ ____
1. 完成下面的题： (1)星团，幻觉 (2)广告;广告活动 (3)瞄准；对准 (4)特定地；特殊地 (5)例子；实例 (6)列举，列表 (7)令人困惑的；含糊不清的 (8)令人误解的；骗人的 (9)事实；真相 (10)赞成与反对 (11)有时，偶尔 (12)首先 (13)例如；比如 14.taste terrible____________15 遮阳_____________ 16.the store with the lowest price_____ 17.小心，当心____________ 17.make our cities look ugly _________ 18.瞄准 ________ 19.compare two different products ___________20. 以便，为了_________ 21.in the modern world ________ 22.产品质量______________ 23.have sales _________ 23. 说实话__________ 24.give you the shiniest hair _______ 25. 超过，多余_________ 26.look a lot better than the real thing
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
1. Ads (be) great , but you must be careful with them . 2. Why don’t you tell him the (true) ? 3. What can lead you （make） such a decision ? 4. The (quality )of the products are most important . 5. Some stores have (sale)very often , and most customers get used to that . 6. This kind of bike is aimed (specific)at children . 7. Others hate ads , (say)that they make them uncomfable . 8. You can use Easy Care Shompoo . It works (real)well . 1.A ______(mystery) illness is affecting all the animals. 2.I think the dictionary is __________(use) of all. 3.the factory ______(product)more coats this year than last year. 4.He ______ (lead) the girl into thinking he was rich. 5.The old man is very ______(care)with his money.
Copy a short ad on computer or newspaper. Tomorrow, you will read it to the class.
1.It worked really well. 2.They don’t even keep out the sun. 3.Have you ever had Beijing Duck? 4.Some people think that ads are great. Others hate ads, saying that they make our cities and countryside look ugly. 5.Many ads are aimed specifically at teenagers, 6.It’s true that some ads can be very useful. 7.For instance, they can help you to compare two different ? produces so that you can buy the one you really need. 8.When prices are listed, you can go to the store
with the ? lowest price. 9.Hower, some advertising can be confusing or misleading.
10.Sometimes the words sound good but don’t really tell you anything about the quality of the product. 11. At other times, the picture in an ad looks a lot better than the real thing. 12.At times an ad can lead you to buy something you don’t need at all. 13.And Mom and Dad hadn’t left me a note. 14.In class, the teacher asked me for my homework, 15.But as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to bring it with me. 16.That made me annoyed with myself. 17.I had a wonderful surprise birthday lunch
3. but as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to bring it with me. 但是由于我离开家时太紧张了, 我已忘记了带着来。 (1) as 连词, 因为 e.g. As she has no car, she can’t get there easily.
因为她没有汽车, 去那里很不容易。 as 连词, 当……的时候 As he grew older he lost interest in everything except gardening.
他年纪越来越大, 除了喜欢园艺外, 对一切都 失去了兴趣。
list lead compare keep out taste
out the 1. I need a new jacket. This one doesn’t keep ________ cold. tastes 2. Customers say the food at the restaurant ______ terrible. listed you can go to the store 3. When prices are ______, with the lowest price. lead to a good job. 4. Working hard at English can _____ compare 5. Wait before you buy that watch. Let’s _________ prices in another store.
lead to sth
1．I need a new jacket. This one doesn't _________ the cold. 我需要一件新茄克。这一件不能御寒。 2．Customers say the food at the restaurant ________ terrible．顾客们说那个饭馆的饭菜很难吃。 3．When prices are _________ ，you can go to the store with the lowest price 当价格列出来的时候，你可以去最 便宜的商店买东西。 4 Working hard at English can ________ to a good job。 努力学习英语会让你得到一份好工作。 5 Wait before you buy that watch．Let's ________ prices in another store． 先别着急买那只手表。我们到另一家商 店去比较一下价格。
? ①keep out是个“动问卡副词”结构，意思是“挡住； 使进不来；不要进来”，这个短语既可以看作及物动 词也可以看作不及物动词，但宾语是代词宾格时，需 将宾语放在keep与out之间。 ? 例如：The notice should keep the visitor out, it says,“Keep out!” ? 这块牌子可以挡住那些来访者，上面写着“请勿入 内!” ? Please keep out the ugly man．He is a bad man. ? 请挡住那个丑八怪，他是个坏人。 ? ②work hard at是个惯用词组，意思是“努力……”。 ? 例如：John worked hard at his subjects and became a good student． ? 约翰努力学习功课，成了好学生。 ? David worked hard at the technique and he became a technician at last． ? 戴维刻苦学习技术，终于成为一名技师。
2. Reading and w
Dear Diary, 28, June I thought today was going to be really bad. To start with, it was raining, and rainy days make me sad. And it was my birthday, but when I got up, no one was at home, and Mom and Dad hadn’t left me a note. I walked to school with my best friend, Gu. She didn?t say anything either. This made me a little angry. After all, I remembered her birthday last month. In class, the teacher asked me for my homework, but as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to bring it with me. That made me annoyed with myself. But things got better. Gu invited me for lunch. I was so surprised. Mon and Dad and all my friends were there. I had a wonderful surprise birthday lunch. That made me VERY happy. Early morning sad Late Noon morning A little angry annoyed Lunch time surprised
Read the diary, and then write words to show how Ming feels at different times during the day．读一读对话，然后写出明在一天中不同时段 的感受如何。
Dear Diary,亲爱的黛安莉： I thought today was going to be really bad．To start with, it was raining, and rainy days make 我原以为今天会是非常糟糕的一天。 一开始天就下雨， 而雨天使我难过。 me sad．And it was my birthday, but when I got up, no one was home, and Mom and Dad hadn't 今天是我的生日， 但是当我起床时， 家中没有一个人，妈妈和爸爸 left me a note．I walked to school with my best friend, Gu．She didn't say anything either． 没有留给我一个便条。 我和我最好的朋友顾一起走着去上学。她也什么话都没有说。 This made me a little angry．After all, I remembered her birthday last month．In class, 这使我有点生气。 毕竟上个月我记得她的生日。在课堂上， the teacher asked me for my homework, but as I was so tense when I left home, I had forgotten to 老师向我要家庭作业， 但是由于我离开家时太紧张， 我忘记了把它随身 bring it with me．That made me annoyed with myself. But things got better．Gu invited me for 带来。 这使我很生自己的气。 但是事情有了转机。 顾邀请我吃午饭。 lunch．I was so surprised．Mom and Dad and all my friends were there．I had a wonderful 我太吃惊了。 妈妈、爸爸和我所有的朋友都在那儿。 我吃了一顿美妙的 surprise birthday lunch．That made me VERY happy． 惊喜的生日午饭。 这使我非常非常幸福。
Dear diary, start I thought ________ today was going to be really _______ bad. To _____ raining , and ______ rainy days made me sad. And with, it was ________ it was my birthday, but ______ when I got up , _____ no one ____ _____ was at home, and Mom and Dad _____ _____. hadn’t_____ left me a note I walk to school _____ with my best friend, Gu. She didn’t say After all anything ,______ _____, either . This made me a little angry.____ I remembered her birthday _____ ____ , the last month.____ In class for my homework, but ____ teacher ask
ed ____ me ____ as I was so had forgotten tense when _____ I left home, I ________ ______ to bring it with got me. That made me annoyed with myself _____ . But things _____ for lunch. I was so ________ surprised . Mom better. Gu invited _____ me ____ all my friends were there. I had a and Dad and _____ That surprise birthday lunch. ______ wonderful ________ made me VERY ______ happy.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
keep out the cold__________ 首先_____________ compare prices in another store_____ 毕竟_________ forget to do sth___________ 给某人留张字条___________ work hard at English_________ 对 …恼火_________ not…at all_________ 事情有了转机______________
1 条条大路通罗马。 ? All roads ________ ______ Rome. 2 我们不得不抓紧时间以便赶上末班车。 We _____ _____ hurry up ____ _____ we can catch the last bus 3 这件外套不挡风。 ? This coat doesn`t ________ ________ the wind. 4 妈妈在桌子上给我留了张字条。 ? Mum ________ ________ _______ ________ on the table. 5 悲伤的电影只会让我想要离开。 ? Sad movies just ________me ________ ________ ________. 6 他找到可一份好工作，因此他不再向他父亲要钱了。 He found a good job, so he didn`t __his parents ___ money____ ___. 7 你认为你最愿意学哪一门学科、 which of the subjects do you think you would _____ ____ ____ ____? 8 上学时别忘了带把伞。 Don`t forget _____ ______ an umbrella with you when you go to school? 9 别对自己恼火了，下次小心就是了。 Don`t be ______ ______ ______ .be careful next time. 10 昨天晚上约翰邀请我到他家吃晚饭。 ? John ______me _______ ______at his house last night.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
根据首字母或汉语提示写单词。(10分) 21. The Blue Lagoon ________(服务) customers well. 22.Books give us k__________ and make us clever and helpful. 23. The cake t_________ delicious. Would you pass me one more? 24. I need a pair of warm trousers to keep o____ cold. 25. The map m_______ me, so I went the wrong way. 26. Many advertisements are a_________ specifically at teenagers, so you have to be careful. 27. Money is a_______ in some situations. 28. It?s very important to choose a p_______ time to visit friends. 29. This kind of shampoo can make your hair s___________ than before. 30. Working hard at English can l__________ to a good job.
? 用所给单词的正确形式填空.（10分） 1. Students of physics will find the book very ______（use）. 2. Our teacher told us that the moon ______（move）around the earth. 3. The students are ______ (confuse) about the ______ (confuse) problem. 4. I felt _____________ (embarrass) when everyone looked at me. 5. Sunglasses are used for _____ (keep) out the sun. 6. It?s ________ (truth) that some ads can be useful. 7. When prices are listed, we can go to the store with the __________ (low) price. 8. I had forgotten to bring my homewo
rk, that made me _____________ (annoy) with myself. 9. We can learn a lot from _______ (science) studies. 10. I?m considering ____ _ (study) in Beijing or Shanghai. ． 11 We should solve the problem with______ methods. （science） 12．Be______. There is a hole in the road. （care） 13．I met the___ ___of the local hotel.（own） 14．His father died of a ______disease.（mystery） 15．Dean is a really ______ person to have around when things go wrong. （use） 16．She has ______ hair. （shine） 17．I had this dress made ______ for the wedding. （special） 18．Usually a child has ______ skin. （silk）
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
41. 她说响亮的音乐让她紧张。 She said that ______ music _______ her ______. 42. 毕竟，我还记得她的生日。 ___________, I remembered her birthday last month. 43. 学生应该学会如何学习,否则会觉得压力太大。 Students should learn __________, or they will __________. 44. 同潘长江相比, 赵本山很高。 __________________, Zhao Benshan is very tall. 45. 那天我起的很早以便能赶上第一班火车。 That day I got up early _______________________. 46. 我买这台电脑刚好花了7000元人民币。 I _____ 7000 yuan RMB _______ this computer. 47. 他说的话让我感觉难过，但我还是假装什么也没有听到。 What he said made me __________, but I _______ hear ______. 48. 下雨天我宁愿呆在家里看书。 I _____________ stay at home to read books on rainy days. 49. 这个消息如此让我高兴，以至于我跳了起来。 The news made me _____________ happy __________ I jumped. 50. 有时候，广告会引导你买些根本不需要的东西。 At times, some ads can __________ you ________ buy something you don?t need at all