Unit 9 Section A
1.发明 inventor 发明家 invention 发明物
Edison was a great American inventor who invented a lot of useful inventions during his life.
2. When was the telephone invented? In 1876.
the car (1885) the TV (1927)
the calculator (in 1971) the computer (in 1976)
3. be used for doing = be used to do sth 被用来做…
What are battery-operated slippers used for ?
They are used for seeing in the dark.
Shoes with adjustable heels--changing the style of the shoes
Heated ice cream scoop---scooping really cold ice cream
* be used by sb be used as
4.be invented by 被某人发明
Who was the telephone invented by? By Bell.
5. operate v. 操作，动手术 operation n. 手术
operate on sb need an operation
6.It is better to do sth
构成： 助动词be + 及物动词的过去分词
am/is /are + done
was/were + done
can + do
can+ be + done
have /has + been + done
had + done
had + been + done
am/is/are + being + done
was/were + being + done
will + do
will + be + done
would + do
would + be + done
to be done
a. make ,see, watch ,hear -----主动语态中省略to ,被动
I often hear him sing .---He is often heard to sing.
The teacher gave him a book.
-- He was given a book by the teacher.
-- A book was given to him by the teacher.
The accident happened yesterday.
Unit 9 Section B
1.食品味道 sweet crispy sour salty ( salt )
2. by mistake 错误地 mistake n. 错误 v. 弄错
Photos chips were invented by mistake.
I took your umbrella by mistake.
3. make sb / sth + adj 使某人/某物…
George wanted to make the customer happy.
4. in the end = at last = finally 最后
Photo chips were invented by a chef called( named)…
*sprinkle sth on …
6. by accident = by chance 偶然地，意外地
7. not…until 直到…才 until 直到…为止 Although tea wasn’t brought to the Western world until 1610,
George Crum cooked them for a long time until they were crispy.
8. discover 发现 invent 发明
9. according to 根据
According to an ancient Chinese legend…
10.区别： over 正上方，不接触
above 斜上方，不接触 on 接触
When he was boiling drinking water over an open fire.
11.leaf ----leaves 树叶
12. fall into 落入，陷入 (fall-fell-fallen)
13. some time 一段时间 some times 几次
sometime 某个时候 sometimes 有时候
* Some leaves from a nearby bush fell into the water and remained there for some time.
14. notice v. 注意到 n.通知 notice + 从句
notice sb doing sth notice sb do sth
15. produce 生产，产生 be produced in 产于某地
Silk is produced in Suzhou.
16. pleasant adj.令人愉快的（作表语或定语，常修饰sth.）
pleased adj. 高兴的（作表语，常修饰sb）
pleasure n please v.
produce a pleasant smell
The trip is pleasant.= It is a pleasant trip.
I am very pleased with your homework.
With pleasure. It’s a/my pleasure .
Would you please not smoke here?
17. mix v. mixture n 混合物
Later he decided to taste the hot mixture.
18. in this way 这样， 用这种方式
in the way 妨碍，挡道 by the way 顺便说
on the way (to) 在路上
* And in this way, one of the world’s favorite drinks was invented.
19. from … to 从… 到….From pie plate to flying disk
20. throw (threw , thrown) 投，掷
Unit 9 Shelf-check Reading
1. century ( centuries) 世纪，百年
in the twentieth century 在第二十世纪
in the 1950s 在二十世纪五十年代
in one’s forties 在某人四十多岁
2. active adj. 积极的，活跃的 activity n. 活动
take an active part in 积极参加
3. for fun and exercise 为了娱乐和锻炼
4. over = more than 超过
a little over a hundred years old
5. be invented by a Canadian doctor called…
6. play indoors / outdoors
7. create v. 创造 creative adj.
create a game to be played on a hard wooden floor
8. wood 木头 --- wooden wool 羊毛 ---woolen
safe adj. 安全的 dangerous
safely adv. 安全地 dangerously
safety n. 安全 danger
10. knock into 与…相撞
knock at the door 敲门
11. fall(fell ,fallen) fall down 滑倒
Knocking into players and falling down would be dangerous. fall off 从…摔下来
fall off the tree=fall down from the tree
12. divide … into 把…划分….
13. teach ( taught ,taught ) teach sb sth
teach sb ( how ) to do sth
14. the aim of … 的目标
15. shoot ( shot, shot) 投篮，射击
shoot from below the basket
shoot sb shoot at sb
16. below 在…的下面（ 反义词 above ）
17. use sth to do sth = use sth for doing sth
use the “backboard “ for guiding the ball into the basket use the experience to help develop the game at home
18. towards prep.朝者，向着
move towards one end of the court
19. It is believed that … 人们认为
It is said that … It is supposed that … It is reported that
20. develop v development n.
a developing country 一个发展中的国家
a developed country 一个发达的国家
21. rise ( rose , risen) vi. 不能跟宾语
*Since then , the popularity of basketball has risen worldwide ….. * The sun rises in the east and goes down in the west.
22. the number of …的数量（作主语，动词用单数） a number of 许多，大量（作主语，动词用复数）
The number of foreign players in America’s NBA has increased.
A number of students are learning English now.
The number of students in our school is over two thousand.
23.dream of / about becoming famous basketball player.