Unit 1 It’s the biggest city in China.
There are so many people on the Great
Wall that you can’t take photos.
Can you describe the picture?
Use the words in the box to describe it.
crowd increase noise transport
pollution population smoke space traffic
crowds (of people) in the 1. There are _______ shopping mall and there is not enough space ______. 2. There is too much_____. noise
population of many countries 3. The ___________ increasing quickly. is __________
4. There are too many people so noise traffic _______ there is too much _______,
pollution and __________.
Listen and choose the best answer.
1. Why was Betty’s shopping trip
a) Too many people. b) Too noisy. c) Too much pollution.
2. What’s the population of Beijing?
a) About 11,000,000.
b) About 13,000,000.
c) About 15,000,000.
3. What’s the population of Chongqing? a) About 27,000,000. b) About 31,000,000.
c) About 36,000,000.
Listen and read the passage, then complete the table.
People in the world
Babies born every minute Babies born every year
Population of China
259 136,130,400 1,300,000,000 6,500,000,000
Population of the world
Choose the best summary of the conversation.
a) While Betty is seeing the head teacher, the others plan a new “Homework Help” for New Standard on population. They check some facts about the other problems of pollution, traffic and noise. When Betty returns, she tells them that New Standard has won a prize which Becky Wang will present next week at the school prize-giving.
b) Lingling and Tony are worried about the increasing pollution in Beijing caused by too many people and too much traffic. With the increasing numbers of babies, the environmental problems will get worse. Betty arrives and tells the others that she has won a prize for the best new school magazine, and the band Crazy Feet will present it next week. a)
Complete the sentences with the words in Activity 1. 1. Ten percent of the __________ population lived in the country. 2. The factory has produced a lot of _________ pollution so it should be closed. 3. When we got to the party, there was quite a(n) ______ crowd of people there already.
4. At that time of night, there was no
______ traffic in the street. 5. That big table takes up too much space in my small kitchen. ______
6. If every family have more than one
child, the population will _______ increase
1. What’s this week’s homework? 本周的家庭作业是什么？ week’s是名词所有格形式，修饰后面的 homework。表示时间、距离、国家、 城镇等无生命东西的名词可以加’s构成 所 有格。 e.g. yesterday’s newspaper 昨天的报纸
2. There is too many people and there is not enough space, and there is too much traffic, noise and pollution. 人口太多, 空间不够;而且车辆,噪音以及 污染过多。 这句话中，出现了too many, too much， 它们都用来表示太多，但too many 后面 要跟可数名词
复数，而too much 后面跟 不可数名词。
3. Along with the crowds, the smoke
and the transport problems.
along with sb./ sth. = together with,
e.g. She came to dinner along with her
4. That’s thanks to my “Homework
Help” . 这要归功于我的 “作业助手” 。 thanks to 表示 由于, 多亏, 因为 =because of e.g. Thanks to John, we missed the train. 由于约翰, 我们没有赶上火车。
5. That makes 136, 130, 400 babies every year. 那就使得每年有一亿三千六百一十三 万零四百个婴儿出生。 136, 130, 400读作： one hundred and thirty-six million, one hundred and thirty thousand, four hundred。
1)大数词的读法和用法: 个位和十位之间加连字符“-”，个位或 十位与前面的数词之间and；每隔三位 加一个单位数词，从后向前数，分别为
2) hundred, thousand, million, billion用法
hundred, thousand, million, billion 前 有
many 等连用时, 要用单数形式。
e.g. five hundred students
其后加介词“of。 e.g. millions of animals.
6. But an increasing population is an
environmental problem in many
population 人口 ，常作人口的总称
1) population是一个集体名词, 作主语时，
e.g. The population of our town is about
20,000. 我们镇大约有两万人口。 Three fifths of the population here are old people. 这里五分之三的人是老年人。
2) 表示一个地区或一个国家有多少人口 时，可用The population of ... is ... 结 构，也可用... has a population of ... 结构。 e.g. The population of my country is 28,100,000. 我国的人口是二千八百一十万。 The city has a population of 50,000. 那座城市有五万人口。
people的区别。前者通常用what来提 问，后者用how many 来提问。 e.g. What’s the population of Canada? 加拿大的人口是多少？ How many people are there in the hall?
1. How many people are there in Wuhan? population of Wuhan? ______ the __________ What’s 2. Thanks to his help, I finished the work
_______ ___ Because of his help, I finished the work on time.
Translation. 1.今年的计划是什么？ What’s this year’s plan? 2. 请在书里查一些关于环境的信息。 Please look up some information about the environment in the book. 3. 去年这个国家有大约一百零五万婴儿
出生。 About 1,050,000 babies were born in this country last year.
1. What’s next…?
2. How about this?
3. It was OK.
4. No idea!
5. I don’t believe it!
Listen and repeat the numbers. 150,000
one hundred and fifty thousand
five hundred thousand
two million, one hundred thousand
5,600,000 five million, six hundred thousand 82,550,000 eighty-two million, five hundred and fifty thousand 200,030,040 two hundred million, thirty thousand, forty
Check the statements you agree with. 1. There are too many people in the world. ( ) )
2. The increasing population is the
biggest problem in the world. ( ( )
3. People shouldn’t have too many babies.
4. People should be free to decide how many babies they want. ( ) ) 5. Countries with large populations should pay to help the enviroment. ( 6. A city should not hold more than
1,000,000 people. ( )
Work in pairs. Talk about the results of overpopulation.
1. There is not enough space. 2. There is too much traffic, noise and pollution. 3. Along with the crowds, there will be smoke and the transport problems. 4. …..