Unit 1 Friends
Write an article for your school newsletter about your best friend for a writing competition. Task:
1. Use an adjective before a noun or after a linking verb to describe someone or something.
2. Use comparatives to compare two people or things.
3. Use superlatives to compare three or more people or things.
Welcome to the unit
1. There?s nothing else in the fridge. 冰箱里没有别的东西了。
What else did he say? 他还说了些什么？
2. What makes your friends so special? 什么使得你的朋友如此特别？
eg：We must keep the room clean. 我们必须把房间保持干净。
The children found the story very interesting. 孩子们发现这个故事很有趣。
I hope to see you very well soon. 我希望你的病早些好。
Do you like your tea weak or strong? 你喝茶喜欢淡一点还是浓一点？
1. She is as slim as I am.
as + 形容词 + as 像……一样，使用形容词的原级。如：
My father is as strong as a young man. 我的父亲象年轻人一样强壮。
Our teacher is as busy as before. 我们的老师象以前一样忙。
2. We have been best friends for a long time.
have been 是动词现在完成时态的一种形式，还没有正式学过，只须记住这里的意思是“（到现在）已是”，表示“我们从过去某个时刻起到现在一直是最好的朋友”。
3. She is willing to share things with her friends.
eg: He is quite willing to live in the countryside. 他很愿意生活在农村。
4. She helps me with my homework and she always gives seats to people in need on the bus. 她帮助我做家庭作业，并且在公共汽车上总是给需要的人们让座。
people in need有需要的人们，in need是“介词＋名词”的词组，常跟在名词或代词之后，作定语用。如：
the man in a brown jacket 穿棕色茄克的人
the man in trouble 处于困境的人
5. Because of too much computer work.
because of 和because的意思都是“因为”，区别在前者跟短语，后者跟从句。
They didn?t go to the museum because of the rain.
They didn?t go to the museum because it rained.
Page 1 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
6. …they make him look smart… 它们使得他看上去很精神。
eg: Don?t make students do too much homework. 不要使学生做太多的家庭作业。
He always makes me laugh. 他总是使我笑。
7. shoulder-length hair 披肩长发。
8. say a bad word about sb.
9. Max is very good at telling jokes
old (老的) ---- older (更老的) ---- oldest (最老的)
old (老的) ---- elder (年长的) ---- eldest (最年长的)
far (远的) ---- farther (更远的) ---- farthest (最远的)
far (远的) ---- further (进一步的)---- furthest (最大程度的)
Tom is taller than any other student in his class.
Tom is taller than any student in his younger brother?s class.
Vegetables are best when they are fresh. 蔬菜新鲜时候最好。（不强调与别的蔬菜相比） It is a most interesting story. 这是一个最有趣的故事。（表示“非常”的意思）
one of …“……之一”
One of the most popular singers in China is Zhou Jielun.
1. be willing to do sth. 2. share sth. with sb.
3. be ready to do sth. 4. help sb. with sth.
5. give seats to sb. 6. in need
7. because of 8. have a sense of
9. keep a secret 10.think of
11. say a bad word about sb. 12. vote for
Page 2 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
13. have problems with sth. 14. move to
15. make friends with 16.nothing else
17. of the six students 18. as…as
19. not as/so…as 20. travel around the world
21. in the future 22. give me some advice
23. wear a smile on one?s face 24. tell me funny stories
25. next door 26. next to
27. make sb.+adj. 28. make sb. +v.
29. the most difficult activity of all 30. a social worker
31. some more food 32. be generous to sb.
33. invite teenagers to join a writing competition
初中英语8A牛津教程 Unit 1教案
Unit 1 Friends
Period 1 Welcome to the unit
To revise vocabulary and expressions to describe people, at the same time, learn more new words and phrases.
Step 1 Presentation
T: I?m very happy to be here and teach you English. First, let me introduce myself.
Ask two questions:
(1) Can everyone be your friend?
(2) How many friends do you have in our class?
(3) When you choose a friend, how do you want he is like?
Step 2 Listen and answer
Play the tape for Ss to listen and answer Q: (1) What food does Eddie give Hobo? (a cake, some milk)
(2) What does Hobo want at last? (the pizza in Eddie?s bowl)
Step 3 Read and answer
Read after tape while thinking about the following questions:
(1) If you are Eddie, will you give the pizza to Hobo?
(2) What will you do?
Act the dialogue out.
Step 4 Discussion
T: Do you like Eddie or Hobo? Why?
How is your friend like?
Ss discuss in groups of 4 and then report.
Step 5 Choose and read
1. T: Let?s look at some qualities of good friend. Please match the words with the questions.
2. Check the answer and read the questions and words together.
3. Explain some important words.
Page 3 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
Step 6 Brain-storming
T: Do you have any other ideas of a good friend? Can you use some words to describe your best friend?
Discuss in pairs and write down the word.
2—3 Ss to report
Step 7 Tick and answer
T: Which qualities do you think are very important while others are not so important? Please tick them. Then report it to class.
It is (very/quite/not) important for my friend to be+ adj.
Step 8 Summarize
T: Today we have learned some important qualities about a good friend. It seem that we all think appearance is not so important, but he should be helpful and honest. And I hope everyone can be like that and you will have more friends.
To use different strategies to help students to understand the text;
To learn how to use adjectives to describe people?s appearance and characteristics.
Step 1 Revision.
1. What are the most important qualities of a good friend?
2. What are the very important qualities of a good friend?
3. What?s your good friend like?
Step 2 Presentation
1. T: I have a good friend. Do you want to know her? What do you want to know about her? 2. Show a picture. Describe my good friend. Introduce some new expressions:
As tall as; be willing to; have a good sense of humor; feel bored
Step 3 Fast reading
T: ?Teenagers? magazine is holding a writing competition. Some students have written some entries for it. Please read and find out their main qualities.
2---humorous (have a good sense of humor), funny
3---true friend, kind
Step 4 Read for details
Page 4 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
1. T: So we have got a table about them. And you have known a lot about them. Can you say sth about them according to the information in the table.
2. Give Ss 3 minutes to prepare
3. Ask 2-3 Ss to retell the three articles.
Step 6 Brainstorming.
1. T: Well, when we describe our friends, we also need to describe what he or she is like. What kind of words can we use? ---Adjectives.
Eyes, nose: big, small
Face: round, square
Body: thin, strong, slim, fat, tall, short
Hair: short, long, straight, circled, shoulder-length
2. We can use so many useful words to describe people. Is there any difference in describing boys and girls? Can you give me any examples?(write down some words in the list on Page 7) Homework:
1. To write about one of their friends. (in the next class, teachers can read some of them and
ask the whole class to guess who she/he is)
(for some weak students) To write a short passage, use any one on Page 4 as a model. They can replace some words in it if they can?t write a new one.
To learn some useful expressions and use them in different context
To learn how to describe their friends .
Step 1 Revision
T: We have learnt some words to describe your friends, can you introduce your friend to us? Others please guess who it is?
Ask 3-4 Ss to read their articles.
Step 2 Some more exercises
1. T: Let?s meet our old friends again. Mr Zhou has some problems in describing them. Can you help him finish his sentences? Do Exe B2 on P5
2. Find out their photos according to Mr Zhou?s description.
3. Mr Zhou is writing some notes about them. Is he right?
Suppose you are going to vote for the best friend among these three students, what is your choice? Why?
Step 3 Voting in your own class
Do you have such a good friend in you class, or around you? Please vote for him or her, and tell us your reason. (talk about qualities)
Page 5 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
Step 4 Language points
1.T: now let?s look at some useful expressions in the passages.
Give Ss some phrases for them to translate:
与…一样苗条 as slim as
乐于做某事 be willing to do sth.
准备好做某事 be ready to do sth.
帮助我做家庭作业 help me with my homework
因为太多工作 because of too much work
戴眼镜 wear glasses
有很好的幽默感 have a good sense of humour
感到厌倦 feel bored
使我笑 make me laugh
走路经过 walk past
撞翻 knock over
说某人坏话 say a bad word about sb.
Read them together, and ask Ss to use some of them to make sentences.
2. T: Do you have any problem in the passages?
3. Answer any question Ss may have
Step 5 Practice
1. Fill in the blanks with the right word
? 1. Thank you for giving me the information. You are so ________(help). ? 2. He plays the piano well. His parents think he?s very _______(music). ? 3. Are you _______(will) to sing us an English song?
? 4. Maybe he will grow into a successful ______(sing).
? 5. Have you ever been to the sea village ______(call) Mingshu ?
? 6. He has a __________(wonder) friend Millie.
2.Complete the sentence
(1) Max 很有幽默感.他讲有趣的笑话,总使我发笑.
Max ______________________. He tells _________and always _____________.
I ________ my great friend May when I ___________________.
She never ______________ about______.
She always ______ me _______ English.
3 .Correct the mistakes
? 1. My father has good sense of humour.
? 2. I never feel boring when I am with him.
Page 6 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
? 3. My friend is a ture friend.
? 4. Lily wants us to help her skating.
? 5. The glasses make Max looks smart.
Step 6 Conclusion
Ask Ss to make a conclusion of what we have learned in this period.
1. Write a compos ion about his/her best friends.
Finish off the exercises in Handbook Period 3.
Period 4 Vocabulary
To learn how to use adjectives to describe people, especially how to describe boys and girls appropriately.
Step 1 Lead-in
Revise sth about Reading parts to go over the 3 Ss? personalities.
Step 2 Adjectives.
1. So we can use different adjectives to describe different things. What about a tree, a building, a classroom …?
Can you tell me some other adjectives to describe different things？…
2. Show some pictures to teach the different words of describing people?s appearance.
e.g: tall/short, square/round face, straight/wavy hair, slim/fat, plump
Step3 Extensive activities
Get Ss to find more adjectives for each category ,e g:
Divide Ss into some groups to write more words.
1. Discuss the adjectives to describe boys and girls, then do PartB
2. Play a game
Step5 Exx and Homework
To use comparatives and superlatives to compare two or more people and things;
Page 7 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
1.T: We use adjectives to describe people and things. We can put it before a noun or after a linking verbs.
Present this by revising the three Ss ? appearance, trying to choose the adjectives to introduce them,then show them just like : a clever girl, an interesting story
2. Present linking verbs
Step2 Comparatives and superlatives
1. If they are alike, how can we tell their difference?
E.g. Millie has long hair, Sandy has long hair, too.
We can say ?Millie has longer hair than Sandy.?(on Bb)
Millie is slim. Sandy is slim, too.
---?Millie is slimmer than Sandy.?(on Bb)
(Show a lot of pictures to teach them the changing rules and drills), PartB
2.Work out the rule
When we compare two things, we use comparatives, and we put ?than? _____ the comparatives. When we compare more than three things, we can use superlatives, and we can put ?the? _____ the superlatives.
3. A is taller than B. B is taller than C. So we can say A is the tallest of the three.
(give more examples, make sure Ss can understand the difference between comparatives and superlatives)
Step 4 Practice
1. Ask Ss to compare their classmates, using comparatives and superlatives.
2. Show them some pictures, asking them to compare them.
3. Show them a table, asking them to compare the things in different ways.(PartB2)
Step 5 Consolidation Finish off the exercises
Compare things and make 5 sentences using comparatives and superlatives
To compare two people or things using ?(not) as … as?.
I. 1. Presentation
Look at Millie and Amy, who is taller? Millie is as tall as Amy.
Peter is taller than Simon. We can also say ?Simon is not as tall as peter.?
Page 8 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
(use these sentences as model, try to lead out the meaning of ?(not) as tall as?
Practice more so that Ss know how to use ?… than? and ?(not) as … as?.
2. Practice using ?… than?, ?the most…?, ?as…as?, ?not as … as?.
swimming hiking cycling
Very dangerous not dangerous
hiking skiing cycling swimming
T: Amy thinks diving is the most interesting outdoor activity.
It?s more interesting than swimming and hiking.
Hiking is as interesting as camping. But they are not as interesting as skiing and swimming…. (Ss repeat after the teacher first, and then practise in halves. After they can do it quite well in groups, ask them to practise in pairs.)
3. Practise it in another way.
Now can you understand another kind of diagram?
Just now, we know which outdoor activity Amy likes best, which she doesn?t like.
What about other students? Do you want to know their hobbies?
(Show them the diagram on P11. Help them understand it and then talk about it in groups. Then ask them to practise as the four children)
5. Talk about their own hobby.
What about yourselves? Can you draw some stars in the table to tell us which you like best and which you don?t like?
(after they finish drawing) now I want sb. To tell us his or her hobbies. At the same time, the others listen carefully and draw proper stars to show his or her hobbies.
6. Finish the sentences on P11 and do other exercises (PPT)
Design a diagram, including 5 outdoor activities they want to talk about, using stars to show which one is the most interesting and which one they are not interested in. Then write as least 4 sentences, using ?… than?, ?the most…?, ?as…as?, ?not as … as?
Period 7 Integrated skills
Aim: To get specific information from a listening material;
To talk about a friend.
To talk about future plans
Page 9 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
1. We have learnt a lot about different outdoor activities. What are they? (swimming, hiking, camping, diving, cycling, skiing…) What do you like doing? What would you like to do when you grow up?
(Ask two pairs to talk about what they have learnt in the last lesson. The other students will listen to them and try to write down
If they can?t, teachers can give them an example (I like hiking best because I think it is very interesting and it?s good for our health. I also like swimming and diving. But I am not good at swimming. So I dare not to swim or dive in the water. In the future, I would like to have a swimming lesson and try to dive in the sea. I don?t like cycling at all. But I must ride a bike every day, or I will have to spend too much time on buses. I would like to drive a car in the future if I can.)
2. Ask Ss to share their answers with each other to see if they have got the right ones.
3. Ask Ss some questions about the table, e.g.:
What does … like doing?
What would … like to do in the future?
II. Task I Millie?s future plans
1. Just now, … talked about their hobbies and their future plans. It?s really interesting. Our friend Millie is also talking to Amy about her future plans. Can you find out what she would like to do in the future? You can listen to their conversation and put a tick in the correct boxes in the table.
2. Listen to the tape again and check their answers.
3. Suppose you are Millie. A reporter from NJTV is interviewing you. Please make a dialogue with your partner, talking about your future plan.
4. Now you are quite familiar with Millie?s future plan. Please help her complete a letter.
III. Sandy?s future plans
1. So Millie would like to be a social worker when she grows up. She is really kind and helpful. What about Sandy? What would Sandy like to do when she grows up? Does she also want to be a social worker? If not, what?s her plan? Please listen to the tape and find it out.
2. Listen to the tape again and help Sandy complete her letter.
IV. Speak up, talking about friends.
1. Sandy is showing Helen some pictures of her friends. Do you know what they are talking about? Please listen and answer:
? Whom are they talking about?
? What would Peter like to do in the future?
2. Listen and repeat.
3. Do you have any interesting pictures? I?m sure you do. Would you like to take them out and share them with your partners? (Practice in pairs, talking about their appearance and their own plans, using some pictures of their family or their friends) V. Homework
Write at least 5 sentences to show what they like and what they would like to do in the future.
Period 8. Study skills
? To find the main points of a passage in order to understand and memorize it more easily.
? To identify keywords in order to develop general understanding of a passage.
? To guess meaning and generate mental pictures.
Help the students to revise how to talk about their future plans.
Page 10 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
Ask: 1. Do you have any future plans?
2. What are you going to do when you grow up?
4. What will you do to fulfill your aims?
Ask some students to talk about it orally in class.
Step2. lead- in
1.Present the task today by playing a game.
? Divide the students in four groups,
? The teacher gives the first student a paper on which there?s a story, ask the first student to read it carefully and then pass
the story on orally.
? At last ask the last student to tell the story that he get to the whole class, and then the teacher will read the story to class,
ask them to find out the differences between the two stories.
2. Make a conclusion, tell the students when we are reading , we should pay attention to some main points, generally speaking, the main points are about the questions below:
? What is it about?
? Who is it about?
? What happened?
? When did it happen?
? Why did it happen?
? How did it happen?
Ask the students to open the book on page 14, and read the letter on page 14. try to find out information about the questions above.
Who: Cindy---a grade 8 student
Where: Bei jing Sunshine Secondary School
What: move to a new school, have problems with her new school
Why : Don?t know school very well, have no friends, do not know how to talk to her new friends,
How: feel uncomfortable, nervous; always stay alone
Ask the students to underline the main points with the help of the table above.
Ask the students to retell the letter with the help of the key words on the blackboard.
Step5. Consolidation exercises
Provide one more reading for the students to practise.
? Hand book: period 8
Preview the new words in main task.
Period 9 Main task
Aim: To plan ideas for writing
to learn the proper and easy ways to write something;
to write a description of the appearance and personality of a friend.
In this unit, we have learnt a lot about how to describe our best friends. Show three photos of Betty, Max and May. Ask some students to describe them. Revise some useful words and expressions.
Page 11 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
Ask: What aspects can we talk about from when we talk about our best friends?
? What?s his/her name?
? What?s he/she like？
? What?s his/her quality of a good friend (personality)?
? What does he/she like doing?
? What would he/she like to do in the future?
Please keep them in your mind. We will talk about them step by step.
1. When you want to talk about sth, what do you feel difficult to do? Proper words and phrases. So we need to gather enough words about sth. when we want to talk about it. How many words do you know that we can use to describe our friends? Let?s do it in groups. Please show us you are the best.
After it, T collects their words on the Bb and decide which group is the winner.
2. Go through the words in the table on P15.
3. Read the passage on P16 quickly and find out some information about Daniel?s best friend
4. Group work. Find out the useful words about how to describe the best friends
( eg. tall, slim; square, long; bright, smiling; pretty, kink; clever, help, happy)
III. Phrases and sentences
Now we have these words. Is it enough to write a passage? No. So we still need some
phrases and sentences structures. Try to find the phrases and sentences Daniel used in his passage.
OK. I?m going to write about my good friend.
…is my best friend. ……(put these phrases and sentences together randomly)(ask for their opinion about this ?passage?)
So the structure of a passage is very important.
2. Ask Ss to find out the structure of the passage by themselves. T can help them when needed. Introduction—Body(appearance—personality and ability)—Conclusion(hobbies and future plans)
IV. Go back to the beginning of this class.
Have we learnt how to write about these in this unit? Can you remember what we talked about at the beginning of this class?
? What?s his/her name?
? What?s he/she like？
? What?s his/her quality of a good friend (personality)?
? What does he/she like doing?
? What would he/she like to do in the future?
Are you ready to write about your good friends? Let?s have a try. (They can talk about sb in the class in groups first. In this way, the weak students will know what to write and how to write it.) V. Writing and checking
After they finish writing, use some of their passages as a model. Show them to the whole class and ask the other students to find out the good points in each passage. After talking about some passages, ask them to rewrite their passages to make them better.
Write a passage about their good friends.
Page 12 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！
Period 10 Checkout
Aims: to review what they have learnt in this unit;
to assess their understanding and correct use of adjectives, comparatives and superlatives. This is the check out of the whole unit. That means the most important language points in this unit are using adjectives to describe something and using ?(not) as … as? to compare two things. So we need to design some exercises to practise using them and make sure that students can use them fluently.
Usually I ask them to make some sentences, talk about some topic, and look back on what we have learnt in this unit. Sometimes I also ask them to do some translations. It is useful to learn a foreign language, especially to those who can?t study well enough.
After that, I use this page as a short test. I ask them to do it in 5~10 minutes, then check the answers immediately. To do so, students can have more confidence in themselves and know better about themselves in time.
I . Revision
Ask some students to read their passages to the class. Get Ss to discuss the adjectives and some set phrases in their passages.
Brainstorming the useful vocabulary about how to describe the best friend
Do Part B
Do additional exercise (Fill in the blanks with proper words)
III. Make a survey
Revise the comparatives and superlatives. ( Write down the comparative and superlative form of the following words)
Group work. Make a survey about the classmates? opinion of different activities, different objects using the comparatives and superlatives.
Do Part A (Have a competition)
Group work. Make up an interesting story using the adjectives, the comparatives and
Do some additional exercises
Revise the contents in this unit.
Page 13 of 13 让每一个学生超越老师！