Part 2 Vocabulary and Grammar
Ⅴ. Choose the best answer (选择最恰当的答案): (共26分) 31. World Expo 2010 Shanghai China will begin
A) on A) the A) he A) tomato A) two hundreds of
A) long A) What A) both A) can’t A) well A) but
A) if A) politely A) will go
A) has still worked
B) in B) a B) him B) potato B) hundred of B) longer B) What a B) neither B) needn’t B) good B) if B) until B) lovely B) go B) still worked
C) at C) an C) his C) milk
D) for D) / D) himself D) egg
32. We have worked for a long time. Let’s have break. 33. Jack tried to repair the car by in order to save money. 34. There’s little in the fridge. Let’s go and buy some for breakfast. 35. About ______students in our school have learned how to use a computer.
C) several hundreds D)two hundred C) longest C) What an C) all C) must C) bad C) or C) though C) friendly C) have gone C) is still working
D) the longest D) How D) none D) can D) terrible D) and D) unless D) luckily D) have been D) was still working
36. The Shanghai Yangtze River Bridge is one of bridges in China. 37. beautiful car you have bought!
38. The two girls like pop music, but ______ of them likes light music. 39. The man be over seventy. He looks very old. 40. The fruit salad tasted so ______ that the kids asked for more.
41. Try your best, ________ you will make great progress in your English study. 42. David finished the report on time he was very busy yesterday. 43. Every student likes Miss Green because she always talks to them ______. 44. They to that shopping center many times since they moved here. 45. It is very late at night , but Simon ______ at his lessons.
崇明县教研室 保留版权 期末考试（2009）初三英语试卷 第1页（共9页）
46. My father ______ to give a speech at the meeting yesterday.
A) asked A) speak A) show off
A) cost A) famous for
B) was asked B) to speak B) take off B) spent B) worried about B) told
C) asks C) spoke C) turn off C) paid C) proud of C) said
D) has asked D) speaking D) put off D) took D) satisfied with D) spoke
47. The teacher always encourages us _________ English in public. 48. Please ______ your coat. It’s very hot inside the room. 49. The cell phone him ￥2000 and he likes it very much. 50. Recently many people are the fast spread of the A-H1N1 flu. 51. I’m sorry I didn’t hear what you ______. Could you repeat it? 52. The host wanted to know ______ .
A) when will the guests come C) when would the guests come means “______”.
54. mail . The underlined part means “______”.
A) stay –______ A) Thank you. –______
A) It doesn’t matter.
B) Help yourself.
D) That’s kind of you. B) Not at all.
C) Yes, please.
D) No problem.
55. –John, you’ve won the first prize in the competition. Congratulations!
B) when the guests will come D) when the guests would come
56. –Would you like some more coffee? It’s still early.
C) No, you needn’t.
Ⅵ. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms(共8分) 57. There aren’t enough for the new books I bought yesterday. (shelf) 58. This is a new building and my office is on the floor. (twelve) 59. All the teachers and students enjoyed __________ at the party last night . (they) 60. Mr. Smith is a good teacher and he does his work with . (please)
61. We had a about the differences between the two education systems. (discuss) 62. could to improve the situation . (possible)
期末考试（2 2009）初三英语试卷 第2页（共9页）
63. The old man has been ill for several days, so he looks pale and 64. So far many people have in this country because of the A-H1N1 flu. (death) Ⅶ. Rewrite the following sentences as required(共12分)
65. Jack did some housework for his mother yesterday evening. (改为否定句)
Jack _________ _________ any housework for his mother yesterday evening.
66. Uncle Tom will teach English in that school next term. (改为反意疑问句)
Uncle Tom will teach English in that school next term, _________ _________?
_________ _________ will the students graduate from junior high school?
68. Has his father come back from work? Please tell me. (合并句子)
Please tell me __________ his father __________ come back from work.
I _______ go to the party _______ I’m invited.
70. Alice is good at not only English but also French. (保持句意基本不变)
Alice is good at English and French _________ _________. 69. I won’t go to the party unless I’m invited. (保持句意基本不变)
Part 3 Reading and Writing (第三部分 读写)
Ⅷ. Reading comprehension (阅读理解): (共56分)
A. True or False( 7分)
London has more than nine million visitors every year. They come and visit some of the most famous buildings in England---the Tower of London, St Paul’s Cathedral, the Houses of Parliament, the Tate Modern.
You can see some of the most interesting places by getting on one of the special visitors’ buses. You can get off ( and on again ) at the places you want to visit. Or you can take a ride on the London Eye. This big wheel slowly takes you 135 meters above the River Thames. From there you can get wonderful views of London.
Buckingham Palace is the Queen’s London home. It is at the end of a long road called The Mall. On some days you can see the Queen’s flag---the Royal Standard---above the building. Then you know she is staying at the palace. You can visit some of the rooms in August and September. And most mornings of the year you can watch the soldiers outside “changing the guard”.
Not far from London is the town of Windsor. Here you can visit one more of the Queen’s homes---Windsor Castle. This wonderful building with its great Round Tower became the home of kings and queens in the time of William the Conqueror. It is Europe’s biggest castle. There was a fire in 1992 and many of the rooms were badly burned. But now it is full of beautiful pictures, tables and chairs again.
71. Every year more than ten million people visit London.
期末考试（3 2009）初三英语试卷 第2页（共9页）
72. The Houses of Parliament is one of the most famous buildings in London.
73. Visitors can get wonderful views of London from the London Eye.
74. When the Queen stays at the palace, you can see the Queen’s flag above the building.
75. People can visit some of the rooms at Buckingham Palace at any time of the year.
76. Windsor Castle is the Queen’s another home and it is far from London.
77. If you visit Windsor Castle, you can see beautiful pictures there.
B. Choose the best answer（根据短文内容，选择最恰当的答案): ( 7分)
Mrs. Thompson, a school teacher, told the children on the first day of school that she loved them all the same. But that was a lie. There in the front row was a little boy named Teddy Stoddard. He didn’t get along well with the other children and he always needed a bath. She did not like him.
Then Mrs. Thompson got to know that Teddy was a very good boy before the death of his mother. Mrs. Thompson was ashamed of herself. She felt even worse when, like all her other students, Teddy brought her a present too. It was his mother’s perfume (香水).
Teddy said, “Mrs. Thompson, today you smell just like my mom used to.” After the children left she cried for an hour. On that very day, she stopped being busy teaching reading, writing and math. Instead, she began to care more about the children.
Mrs. Thompson paid more attention to Teddy. The more she encouraged him, the faster he improved. By the end of Grade 6, Teddy had become one of the smartest children in the class.
Six years went by before she got a note from Teddy. He wrote that he had finished high school, third in his class, and she was still the best teacher he had ever had in his whole life. He went to college. Mrs. Thompson got two more letters from him with the last one signed, Theodore F. Stoddard, M.D.(医学博士).
The story doesn’t end there. On his wedding (婚礼) day, Dr. Stoddard said, “Thank you, Mrs. Thompson, for believing in me. You made me feel good about myself and showed me that I could make a difference.”
Mrs. Thompson, with tears in her eyes, said, “Teddy, you have it all wrong. You were the one who taught me that I could make a difference. I didn’t know how to teach until I met you.”
78. What did Mrs. Thompson do on the first day of school?
A) She made Teddy feel sad.
B) She told the class she loved them. C) She told Teddy that she didn’t like him.
D) She changed Teddy’s seat to the front row.
79. Why did Mrs. Thompson dislike Teddy?
A) Because Teddy’s seat was in the front row. B) Because Teddy often told lies when he needed a bath.
期末考试（4 2009）初三英语试卷 第2页（共9页）
C) Because he didn’t get along well with the other children. D) Because Teddy didn’t give Mrs. Thompson a present. A) Mrs. Thompson was pleased with what she had done. B) Mrs. Thompson was happy with the presents her class gave her. C) Mrs. Thompson was surprised that the boy’s mother used perfume. D) Mrs. Thompson felt sorry because she didn’t like the boy before. A) after what Teddy said and done that day B) after she cared more about the children C) before the children had left that day D) before Teddy brought her a present that day A) Mrs. Thompson stopped teaching reading B) Mrs. Thompson paid more attention to writing C) he got more care and love from the teacher D) he wrote a note to the teacher A) When Teddy finished high school, he was the third best in the class. B) Mrs. Thompson received two letters from Teddy when he was in Grade 6. C) Teddy was successful in his study and was thankful to Mrs. Thompson . D)Teddy thought Mrs. Thompson was the best teacher he had ever had in his whole life. A) Friendship between two Students. B) Not a Really Good Teacher. C) A Clever Student. D) Making a Difference. 80. How did Mrs. Thompson feel when she learned the truth? 81. Mrs. Thompson cried for an hour . 82. Teddy became one of the smartest children in the class because . 83. Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage? 84. Which of the following can be the best title for the passage ?
C. Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage（选择最恰当的单词或词语完成短文):（14分）
Jim Carrey has become one of the most famous faces in the world. It is because of his face that he has become so famous. The funny faces that he makes and his strange behavior (表现)are what people like to He was born in Canada on January 17th,1962. His family was poor and was difficult for him. As a teenager, he had to both work and go to school. Soon he decided to leave school. He was very unhappy then it helped him a great deal. He developed a wonderful sense of humour to help him live with his problems. He didn’t have any friends because he said he didn’t want any. school and work there just wasn’t much time for a
期末考试（5 2009）初三英语试卷 第2页（共9页）
At 15, however, Jim Carrey started performing in a famous comedy (喜剧) bar in Toronto(多伦多). Later he did the 89 thing in America. He became very good at it. That’s the important reason why he developed into a famous comedy star many years later.
Now Jim Carrey is a big famous star and he hasn’t looked back since. The looks good for him, and he has millions of fans who love his wild style of films. He has proved his ability to be a great star.
Carrey has come a long way from his unhappy childhood and in fact seems to be living a childhood now. Canada has been producing fine comedic talents for years, and Jim Carrey is the best of the new ones.
91. A) hear A) putting up A) but A) Both A) same A) film A) first B) see B) getting up B) so B) Because B) different B) future B) second C) read C) growing up C) or C) Beside C) dirty C) star C) third D) feel D) looking up D) for D) Between D) wrong D) school D) fourth
D. Read the passage and fill in the blanks with proper words（14分）
It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches (缝线) removed from his thumb (拇指). He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment（预约）at 9:00 am.
him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would healed (愈合), so I talked to one of the doctors, and got the needed supplies to remove his stitches.
While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor’s appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry.
The gentleman told me and that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat her health.
. As we He replied that she no longer knew who he was, and that she had not recognized him for five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, “And you still go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?”
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, “She doesn’t know me, but I still know who she is.”
期末考试（6 2009）初三英语试卷 第2页（共9页）