Part 2 Vocabulary and Grammar（第二部分 词汇和语法）
V. Choose the best answer (选择最恰当的答案，用A、B、C或D表示): (共26分) 31. Detectives’ job is to protect __________ innocent as well as find the guilty. A) a
32. The grand parade（大阅兵） to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the nation began ________ 10:00 on October 1st, 2009. A) in
B) at B) fathers
C) on C) father’s
D) with D) fathers’
33. Mr. Li, an old friend of my _________, has decided to give up smoking because of his disease. A) father
34.Mr Wang was pleased to see so __________ students enjoying his lecture. A) much A) thousand A) in
B) many C) few D) little B) thousands B) from B) Both
C) thousand of C) up C) None C) did they
D) thousands of D) of D) Neither D) didn’t they
35.Gong Yangling from Harbin in china has remembered over 15 __________ telephone numbers. 36. The famous huge horse was made ________ wood.
37. ________ of the twins shows interest in playing the violin so their father has to give up. A) No one A) do they
38. Computers rarely give wrong answers, _________?
B) don’t they
39. Pupils in our district have no homework on Wednesdays. They can do ________ by themselves. A）interesting nothing
C) anything interesting D）interesting anything
40. We can see many old people on the playground every morning. Some are running and ________
are dancing. A) other
B) the other
D) the others
41. Because of the rain, I prefer __________ at home to _________. A) staying…hiking C) stay…hike A) and
B) stay…hiking D) staying…hike C) if
42. You won’t realize your ambition ___________ you work harder.
43. The comic strip looks very _________ and is warmly welcomed by children. A) nicely B) widely C)beautifully D) lovely 44. My son knows nothing about his hometown. He _________ there. A) has ever been C) has ever gone A) except A) paid
B) has never been D) has never gone C) besides C) used
45. The whole class went to the beach __________ Li Wei because he was ill.
B) with B) spent
D) including D) cost
46. Tom purchased a new MP5 last week. It ______ him nearly 600 yuan.
47. Liu Xiang came back to the athletic track and got another good beginning. ________ exciting news it is!
A) What an
A) needn’t B) What C) How a D) How D) not need 48. You ________ worry about difficulties. We will all help you. B) needn’t to C) don’t need
49. To prevent the spread of H1N1，one good way is to keep windows ________ so as to keep the
indoor air fresh.
A) look up B) open B) pick up
B) no make C) opening C) put up D) to open D) take up D) not make
D) greater “_________” 51. The grandad told the children __________ any noise while watching the African ghost fish. A) don’t make A) the greatest C) not to make C) great 52. The harder we work, ____________ progress we will make B) the greater
53.— ______ has Doris lived in Shanghai?
— Since ten years ago.
A) How soon B) How long C) How often D) How much
B) where had he put his glasses 54. The old man couldn’t remember . A) where he puts his glasses
C) where he put his glasses
A) Thank you. The same to you.
C) It’s a pleasure.
A) Yes, it’s the worst week I’ve ever had.
C) That’s all right. B) What’s the problem? D) It doesn’t matter. B) Thank you. It’s lovely. D) You’re welcome. D) where did he put his glasses 55. — Happy birthday, Alice. Here’s a present for you. 56. — It’s been raining since last weekend. What awful weather we’re having!
VI. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms( 用括号中所给单词的适当形式完成下列句子)：(共8分)
57. The family had a __________ trip to Beijing during the eight-day holiday. (pleasure)
58. Wang Daming is a man of average __________. (high)
59. I believe Expo 2010 will be a __________ wonderful one. (true)
60. All the _________ in Rio de Janeiro（里约热内卢）celebrated their winning the bid of holding the Olympic Games.(city)
61. The _________ of Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, made his fans very sad. （die）
62. The old man was sent to hospital last night, but he looks even _________ today. (ill)
63. We hope that more university graduates will _________ in finding good jobs soon. (success)
64. This is the first year to learn the new subject-- __________. (chemical)
VII. Rewrite the sentences as required（按要求改写句子，每空格限填一词）：（共12分） 初三英语共8页 2
65. Pansy reads a lot of detective stories. (改为否定句)
Pansy ______ ______ many detective stories. (对划线部分提问)
______ ______ we give a computer instructions?
67. Traveling by underground between Pudong and Puxi is very convenient.(保持句意基本不变） ______ ______ to travel by underground between Pudong and Puxi.
68. The horse was so big that they couldn’t take it with them.（改成简单句）
The horse was _______ big ______ them to take.
69. You should write all the answers on the answer sheet. (改成被动语态)
All the answers should ______ ______ on the answer sheet.
70. Little Tom asked his mother how he could deal with the problem. （保持句意基本不变） Little Tom asked his mother ______ _______ deal with the problem.
Part 3 Reading and Writing (第三部分 读写)
VIII. Reading comprehension (阅读理解): (共56分)
A. True or False( 7分)
Zhao Xing's Blog
Hi, I'm Zhao Xing from Beijing. I'm really struggling（努力，挣扎） to learn English and I just need some help! I've got an exam coming up soon and I need to improve my speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Please help me! I feel like I'm going mad! Any advice?
Zhao Xing! I know just how you're feeling. There must be other people in your situation. Why don't you get together and set up some kind of 'English Speaking Club'? You can talk to each other about your life, your worries ... It's an excellent way to improve your English and enjoy yourself! Li Ming, UK
Hi there! Like you, I'm struggling to learn English grammar and especially pronunciation -- they speak so fast here and have really strange accents（口音）! Try to watch some English films and don't worry if you don't understand everything -- just guess what they're saying.
It's a good idea to read English newspapers. Isn't there one in China called China Daily? Get your notebook out and write down and then translate some words you don't know! You'll find words repeat themselves and you'll quickly build up your vocabulary.
How about getting a pen friend? I'd be happy to be yours. We can send each other messages. Don't be shy! Good luck in your exams. Take a deep breath, smile and you'll be fine!
71. Zhao Xing writes the words in his blog because he wants to learn English better.
72. Li Ming advises Zhao Xing to set up some kind of 'English Speaking Club'.
73. June and Zhao Xing have a similar problem in English learning.
74. One suggestion is that Zhao Xing should watch English films and catch each word in them.
75. Daniella thinks Zhao Xing can build up his vocabulary by reading English newspapers.
76. Zhao Xing would like Sam to be his pen friend and send messages to him.
77. June, Li Ming, Daniella and Sam all give Zhao Xing advice on improving his English.
B. Choose the best answer（根据短文内容，选择最恰当的答案): ( 7分)
Jolie Ray was watching TV alone at home when the program suddenly stopped. "Sorry to interrupt（中断） the program. Here's an important notice from the police. At about 9 p.m., a lady was robbed and killed by a man in brown. If you know anything about the man, please call the police. Thank you."
The terrible news made Jolie frightened. She couldn't help looking around, but didn't see anyone in her kitchen or on the balcony. But all of a sudden, a man appeared and stood in front of her. He was wearing brown! Jolie didn't know what to do!
"Calm down, young lady. Put your jewelry and cash on the table," said the robber. "I'll stay up here for the night. If you dare to call the police, you are just asking for trouble." That made Jolie even more frightened, but she tried to calm herself.
Just then came the sound of a police car. In a little while, someone rang the doorbell. The robber said, with a gun pointed against Jolie's back, "Open the door and say that you have gone to bed. Do not let anyone in."
But Jolie had an idea. She opened the door.
"Good evening, Miss Ray. I'm Sergeant Collins. Is there anything unusual here?"
"No," she said loudly, "only my brother and I are in the room."
"OK. Good night," Collins replied.
A few minutes later, the police car went away.
"Good," the robber said with a smile. Just at this moment, some policemen broke the window and hurried into the room from the balcony. They quickly caught the robber.
"You really did a good job, Miss Ray. When you said that your brother was in the room, I knew there was something unusual," said Sergeant Collins, "because we knew that your brother had been killed in a robbery half a year ago."
78. When Jolie Ray was watching TV one night, the program suddenly stopped because ______.
A. the electricity went off B. something was wrong with the TV
C. a robber was nearby D. there was an important notice
79. ______ made Jolie frightened.
A. That she was alone at home B. That a man was robbed and killed
C. The notice from the police D. The robber in her kitchen
80. The robber suddenly appeared and wanted ______.
A. to kidnap Jolie B. Jolie's jewelry and cash
C. to kill Jolie D. to escape from Jolie's home
81. In fact, Jolie wanted to tell Sergeant Collins that ______.
A. she had gone to bed B. she was alone at home
B. her brother was with her in the room D. she was in danger
82. Sergeant Collins is probably a ______.
A. guard B. neighbour C. police officer D. news reporter
83. We can learn from the story that ______.
A. the police knew many details of what the robber looked like
B. Sergeant Collins believed Jolie's words and left her home
C. the police got into Jolie's home through the balcony
D. Jolie's brother was a robber and had been killed half a year before
84. From the story we know that Jolie Ray is a(n) ______ lady. A. brave and smart B. careful and kind
C. honest and confident D. friendly and helpful C. Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage（14分）
How do people greet one another in countries around the world? A kiss, a hug（拥抱）, a handshake, or a bow? It depends on the country and culture.
In the USA, as in most places around the world, the handshake is a ___85___ greeting to show friendliness and trust.
In many places in Europe, people prefer kiss to greeting, and ___86___ of them have very strict rules about how many times to kiss someone's cheeks（脸颊） and on ___87___ cheek to start. Parisians kiss four times from cheek to cheek, always with the left cheek first. If you are in Brittany, a city in the north-west of France, kiss three times; and in other parts of France, keep it to two. Two kisses is ___88___ the rule in Spain, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland. In the Netherlands, people usually kiss three times; more kisses are for the elderly and close family members. ___89___ is also a factor（因素） for Belgians, who kiss once for people as old as themselves. and three times for people ten years older.
___90___, handshake and kissing are not the only ways to say hello around the world. In Japan, people usually bow to greet each other. The different greetings around the world ___91___ make you confused. But don't worry. When you are not sure, remember that a firm（坚定的） but gentle handshake, a smile, and an open mind won't be wrong. 85. A. special 86. A. none 87. A. what 88. A. always 89. A. Age 90. A. More importantly 91. A. may
B. few B. that B. also B. Health B. At last B. need
C. unusual C. some C. whose C. again C. Sex C. For example C. shouldn't
D. wonderful D. most
D. which D. already D. Nationality D. Of course D. can't
D. Read the passage and fill in the blanks with proper words（14分）
What makes you happy in life? Perhaps it is the love of your family or the f___92___ of your classmates. We all want people to like us, so it is n___93___ for us to do what we can to please others. However, we also know that this is not always possible. S___94___ mistakes happen.
What happens when you make a mistake? Do you try to h___95___ the fact, or deny any responsibility? We all know that this usually makes the situation much worse. A___96___ we grow we should realize the best thing to do after we make a mistake is to accept responsibility, and to offer an apology.
Admitting your mistake and saying you are sorry helps people trust you again. It also helps to repair any damage that was c___97___ by the mistake. Another very important thing is that it allows you to put a mistake b___98___ you, and to move on with your life. Perhaps it also helps us to learn to forgive（原谅，宽恕） others. Learning to say sorry is a sure way to learn how to respect yourself and others.
E. Answer the questions（根据短文内容回答下列问题): ( 14分)
Bamboo is just a big piece of grass. It grows fast and is very thin. The oak is a tree. It grows slow, straight and strong. It's even thought to be a symbol of strength.
A few years ago there was a big storm in Britain. It destroyed many old oaks that people thought The British were surprised. How could thin, fragile（脆的） bamboo trees survive a big storm when strong oaks could not?
The reason is flexibility（柔韧性，灵活性）. The oak trees fought against the wind with their strength but the wind turned out to be stronger. The bamboo trees didn't. Their flexibility allowed them to bend and let the wind pass by.
Life is full of changes and we really can't stop them. Recently some students at my school were upset when they got a new English teacher. They liked their old teacher and they didn't like the new one who had a different personality and a different style of teaching. Some students behaved（表现） like oaks. They refused to change and just stopped learning. Other students behaved like bamboo. It's no surprise that the marks of the 'oak' students went down but the marks of the 'bamboo' students went up.
When changes come in your life, don't fight against them and break like an oak, bend a little like bamboo and you will achieve success.
99. What is the oak thought to be ?
100. What did a big storm do to many old oak trees in Britain a few years ago?
101. Does the underlined word 'survived' in paragraph two mean 'continued to live' or 'stopped
102. How do bamboo trees show their flexibility in a storm?
103. What job does the writer probably do?
104. Why didn't some students like the new teacher?
105. Are you an 'oak' student or a 'bamboo' student? What do you do when you meet changes in your
Ⅸ. Writing (作文): (共18分)
106. Write a passage of at least 60 words on the topic “Dealing with pressure ”. ( 以“应对压力 ”
Write at least 60 words about the topic “ Dealing with pressure（压力）”
1. Do you have any pressure in your life?
2. Where does your pressure come from?
3. How do/will you deal with it?