Part 2 Vocabulary and Grammar
V. Choose the best answer (选择最恰当的答案): (共26分)
7. Mr. Li purchased ________ expensive vase, but it was stolen the next day.
A) What B) an B) our B) through C) the C) us C) over D) / D) ours D) by 8. We?ve won the game. Now the new computer belongs to ________ at last. 9. Is it quicker to drive round the forest, or go straight ________ it? 10. Nowadays many people have bought different life insurance ________ themselves. B) in C) of B) a little B) awful B) easier B) up B) needn?t B) What a C) few C) well C) easily C) on C) mustn?t C) How a D) for D) quite a few D) wonderfully D) much easily D) off D) can?t D) How 11. Ben made ________ mistakes in the test. His mother wasn?t satisfied with his study. 12. The dumplings they offered us tasted ________. We all wanted to have some more. 13. Without the help of computers, we can?t do some difficult work ________. 14. Could you turn the radio ________ a bit, please? The baby is sleeping at the moment. 15. You look very tired today. You ________ finish the work right now. Leave it for tomorrow. 16. ________ cold weather it is today! Please put on more clothes.
17. They?ve visited more than ten European countries these years, ________?
A) didn?t they B) did they C) haven?t they D) have they
18. The old man is easy to lose his way back home. ________ his wife.
A) Neither is B) Neither does C) So does D) So is
19. They hadn?t got everything ready ________ the Copenhagen climate summit began. 第 1 页 共 1 页
A) while B) before C) after D) as soon as
20. – ________ will the removal men come to help take the furniture away?
– In about half an hour.
A) How long
A) to be not
A) will be
A) using B) How far B) don?t be C) How fast C) not to be D) How soon D) be not 21. You?d better do your best ________ late next time. You can leave a bit earlier. 22. “Stop ________!” Grandpa shouted, “Let?s go and watch the African Ghost Fish.” B) to play C) played D) playing B) was B) uses C) has been C) use
C) was provided
C) give it up D) had been D) used 23. Shanghai Students’ Post ________ a great help in my English learning since 2006. 24. Stella is fond of ________ her link method to learn new English words by heart. 25. Good service ________ by China during the 29th Olympic Games in 2008. A) provided B) has provided A) rose A) show it off B) raised B) throw it away D) has been provided D) contained 26. Brown, the suspect, finally ________ his hands and admitted stealing the lady?s purse. 27. You should never jump to conclusions. Please ________ before you decide. D) think it over
28. We wonder ________ in comic strips.
A) what personalities do characters need B) characters need what personalities
C) what personalities characters need
underlined word means ________.
A) understood B) denied C) showed
A) very tall B) very short
C) either tall or short
A) I?m sorry to hear that.
C) Not at all.
A) It?s wonderful.
D) do characters need what personalities 29. D) celebrated 30. D) neither tall nor short 31. – Tony, I am terribly sorry. I?ve forgotten to bring your dictionary back to you today. B) That?s all right. D) You?re welcome. 32. – How do you like the story of Happy?s African Ghost Fish? B) The same to you. 第 2 页 共 2 页
C) Sure, I?d love to. D) Yes, I think so.
Ⅵ. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms (用括号中所给单词的适当形式完成下列句子。每空格限填一词): (共8分)
33. Alice doesn?t want to see the film again because she has seen it ________. (two)
34. Peter?s short-term memory is amazing. _________ isn?t as good as his. ( I )
35. He is a man of great _________. He can deal with different kinds of maths problems. (able)
36. A lecture on biology was made by a _________ professor yesterday morning. (Japan)
37. Though Ba Jin has been _________ for four years, he still lives in people?s hearts. (death)
38. You can _________ what you like. We?ll send it to you as soon as possible. (choice) 39. “How can you give instructions to a computer like that?” the manager shouted at a young
man ________. (angry)
40. Let?s do something together to keep our Earth ________. (save)
Ⅶ. Rewrite the sentences as required (按要求改写句子，每空格限填一词):（共12分）
41. Aunt Li knows something about how to create comic strips. (改为否定句)
Aunt Li _________ know _________ about how to create comic strips.
_________ _________ you interview some of her neighbours? _________ _________ Damin?s wife smiles in the photo!
Another meeting will _________ _________ to discuss how to protect the environment.
45. I asked Kitty, “Did the Fifth East Asian Games bring you much happiness?”（合并为一句） I asked Kitty _________ the Fifth East Asian Games _________ her much happiness.
Jack won?t go to have a barbecue with us _________ he _________ the work on time. 46. Jack won?t go to have a barbecue with us. He should finish the work first.（合并为一句） 43. Damin?s wife smiles happily in the photo. (改为感叹句) 44. They?ll hold another meeting to discuss how to protect the environment. (改为被动语态)
Part 3 Reading and Writing
(第三部分 读 写)
Ⅷ. Reading comprehension (阅读理解):（共56分）
A. True or false (判断下列句子是否符合短文内容，符合的用“T”表示，不符合的用“F”
“I sometimes get up at three or four in the morning and I surf the net.”
“I often check my e-mail forty times a day.”
“I often spend more than three hours during one time on the net.”
第 3 页 共 3 页
“I spend more time in chat rooms（聊天室）than with my ?real-1ife? friends.”
Do you know any people like these？They are part of a
new addiction（瘾）called Internet addiction. Internet addicts
spend at least thirty to forty hours online every week. The use
of the Internet can be an addiction like drug（毒品）use. People
lose control of the time they spend on the Internet
For example, one college student was missing for
several days. His friends were worried, and they called the police. The police found the student in the computer lab: he was surfing the net for several days straight.
Studies show that about 6-10% of the Internet users become addicted. And people worry about the teens because the Internet is changing the playing field for some of them. They spend more time in cyberspace than in the real world of friends and family.
Is “surfing the net” a hobby or an addiction for you？You may have a problem if you have these symptoms（症状）：
● You do not go to important family activities or you do not do school work because you
like to spend hours on the Internet.
● You can?t wait for your next online time.
● You plan to spend a short time online, but then you spend several hours.
● You go out with your friends less and less.
71. An Internet addict usually spends at least 30-40 hours on line every week.
72. The use of Internet, like drug use, makes people lose interest in using the Internet.
73. One college student was found surfing the net for days in the computer lab.
74. People worry about some of the teens because their playing field has been changed.
75. The teens who are Internet addicts like to play in the real world of friends and family.
76. Don?t worry about yourself unless you like to spend hours and hours on line.
77. From this passage we know it?s good to go out with friends less and less.
B. Choose the best answer (根据短文内容，选择最恰当的答案):（7分）
One of New York?s most beautiful and useful
buildings is in danger. The New York Public Library, in
the heart of the city at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue, may
have to close its doors. The library is a very special
place. Even though it is in the busiest part of the city, it
has grass and trees around it, and chairs for people to sit
on. Even more unusual in crowded New York, Its rooms
are very large. The roof of the main reading room is fifty-one feet high. Here, a reader can sit, think and work in comfort. And what books there are to work with. The library has over thirty million books and paintings. It owns one of the first copies of a Shakespeare poem, a Bible (圣经) printed by Gutenderb in the 15th century, and a letter written by Columbus in which he tells that he has found the new world.
第 4 页 共 4 页
Every New Yorker can see and use the free library?s riches. But the cost of running the library has risen fast in these years, and the library does not have enough money to continue its work. In the past, it was open every evening and also on Saturdays and Sundays. Now it is closed at those times to save money. People can only read or borrow book from Monday to Friday. The library is trying in every possible way to raise more money to meet its costs. Well known New York writers and artists are trying to help. So are the universities, whose students use the library, and the governments of New York City. But the problem is still serious. Yet a way must be found to save the library because, as people said, “The Public Library is the most important building in New York City—it contains all our knowledge.”
78. The New York Public Library ________.
A) is becoming more beautiful B) is in danger now
C) has closed its doors D) lies in the heart of America
79. The New York Public Library is special because ________.
A) it is impossible to grow grass there B) it is at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue
C) it has grass, trees and chairs around D) it isn?t in the busiest part of the city
80. Large rooms can really make readers sit, think and work in it ________.
A) comfortably B) unusually
C) busily D) strangely
81. ________ can?t be found in the New York Public Library.
A) The first copy of a Shakespeare poem B) A letter written by Columbus
C) A Bible printed by Gutenderb D) The new world found by Columbus
82. These years it is ________ to run the New York Public Library than in the past.
A) much cheaper B) much freer
C) much faster D) much more expensive
83. The New York Public Library is open now ________.
A) on weekdays B) on Saturdays
C) on Sundays D) every evening
84. It is important to save the library because ________.
A) it is one of New York?s most beautiful buildings
B) it contains all the Americans? knowledge
C) there are a lot of rooms, which readers can sit and think in comfort
D) well-known New York writers and artists are trying to use it
C. Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage (选择最恰当的单词或词语，
Lillian Hanson, a college student, expects to graduate in about
two years. What makes Mrs. Hanson from her classmates
mainly is her age – 73 years. She has been studying at college, a few
courses at a time, for 27 years.
When Lillian Hanson graduated from high school, she went to
a bank to borrow money for further . The banker gave her
no encouragement. He didn?t think that a country girl should borrow
money to go to college. He thought she should be at home doing
work in the house or around the farm. So Lillian Hanson went home
第 5 页 共 5 页
and raised family of nine children going to college.
Mrs. Hanson never forgot her of going to college. When her children grew up, she tried again. She finds that, at her age, it is very hard to go back to school and in class for long periods of time. After all she is not as quick as she used to be. Mrs. Hanson often gets up early and walks around classes and home to keep from getting stiff（僵硬）. At the beginning of her computer course, the other students all stood up to give her a warm welcome when she introduced herself and why she was there and what her aims were. 85. 86. 87. 88. 89. 90. 91.
A) pleased A) education A) in favour of A) message A) stop studying A) from
B) different B) business B) plenty of B) dream
B) prefer reading B) with
C) same C) interest C) because of C) money C) keep sitting C) against C) explained
D) information D) instead of D) freedom
D) go on playing D) between D) noticed
D. Read the passage and fill in the blanks with proper words (在短文的空格内填入适当的词，使其内容通顺，每空格限填一词，首字母已给):（14分） As we know, Xiao Shenyang and Liu Qian did wonderful jobs in the CCTV Spring Festival Gala. Now many people are about these two persons. But how much do you know about them? Xiao Shenyang was born in a poor peasant family which is in difficult family conditions (状况). His real name is Shen He. He is an . He is good at Er Ren
Zhuan. He learned acts, following Zhao Benshan. During the school life, he was very active in stops pursuing (追求) his artistic aspiration (渴望). More and more people like his style (风格, and we hope he can make great progress in the future. Liu Qian is a young magician from Taiwan. At the age of 7, Liu saw a magic toy in a shop. At that moment he began to love and to learn magic. Liu didn?t go to any face, and he felt it was cool. He often does street shows for passers-by, police and farmers. He worked hard at it. Now he is a famous magician.
E. Answer the questions (根据短文内容回答下列问题):（14分）
More than 200,000 members of Beijing?s driving associations（协会）are being asked to leave their cars at home at least one day a month in the hope of improving air quality in the
capital. Their aim is to reduce traffic jams and noise, and improve air quality as well. More than
第 6 页 共 6 页