英 语 试 卷
Part 2 Vocabulary and Grammar
V. Choose the best answer. （共26分）
31. We had eight-day holiday in October last year.
A) a B) an C) the D) /
32. The 5th East Asian Games were held _______ December, 2009.
A) in B) on C) of D) at
33. Mrs Green asked the kids to help _____ to the food and drinks.
A) they B) them C) themselves D) their
34. Neither of the scarves fits you. You’d better try on _____ one.
A) other B) the other C) another D) others
35. The artist became well known _____ .
A) in his thirties B) of thirty C) about thirty D) the thirtieth
36. James usually goes to work his bike.
A) by B) on C) in D) with
37. He was so unlucky yesterday that everything seemed to ______ .
A) go wrong B) go on C) go over D) go up
38. There is still ______ time left. You don’t need to hurry.
A) few B) a few C) little D) a little
39. Stories with dramatic endings are much ______ .
A) interested B) more interested C) interesting D) more interesting
40. ______ we to do the survey right now? Can we do it later?
A) Need B) Ought C) Must D) Should
41. As a writer, Ann travels ______ to look for all kinds of facts that can give her more ideas for her books.
A) closely B) excitedly C) widely D) accurately
42. I want _____ coffee _____ tea at the moment. I’d prefer a cup of iced juice.
A) not only…but also B) both…and
C) neither…nor D) either…or
43. Peter’s French sounds ______ enough to communicate with the local people.
A) well B) good C) better D) wonderfully
44. Please don’t take the books out of the reading room _____ you are allowed to.
A) when B) after C) if D) unless 普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第1页（共8页）
Which is closest in meaning to the underlined part?
A) became larger B) became better C) became easier D) became different
Which is closest in meaning to the underlined part?
A) pleased with B) angry with C) responsible for D) fond of
47. We have built bridges and tunnels to ______ the two big parts of the city.
A) admit B) connect C) pull D) realize
48. Thousands of people ______ Chong Ming since last November .
A) visit B) visited C) have visited D) had visited
49. Susan said she didn’t mind _____ for an hour to get a seat in her favourite restaurant.
A) to wait B) waiting C) waited D) would wait
50. Some people think that cartoons are easy _____.
A) draw B) drawing C) to draw D) drew
51. The traffic will be much better if everybody _____ the rules.
A) obeys B) will obey C) is obeying D) obeyed
52. Do you know how many cars ______ in Shanghai every year?
A) produce B) will produce C) are producing D) are produced
53. -- _____ do these apples weigh? – 20 kilos.
A) How many B) How much C) How soon D) How far
54. I wonder ______ .
A) how will they manage it B) how they will manage it
C) how would they manage it D) how they would manage it
55. – Let’s go to the car exhibition this Sunday.
A) You’re welcome. B) Thank you very much .
C) I don’t feel like it. D) I don’t think so .
56. – I found a new job yesterday.
A) Congratulations! B) Funny!
C) I agree. D) Good idea.
VI. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms: （共8分）
57. The TV news reported the celebration of the old man’s _______ birthday.(hundred)
58. Wang Damin enjoys _______ with his big birds. ( fish )
59. The text was too difficult for the students to understand _______. ( complete )
60. H1N1 flu has caused many people’s _______ all over the world. (die)
61. Being too busy every day will make one _______ sometimes. (forget)
62. The 2-metre _______ helps the boy become a good basketball player. ( high )
63. Nowadays we can find many ways to _______ ourselves . ( relaxing )
64. Although she wasn’t hurt in the accident, she was terribly _______. ( frighten )
普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第2页（共8页）
VII. Rewrite the sentences as required：（共12分）
65. There is some fruit in the basket. (改为否定句)
There fruit in the basket.
66. They cut down part of the trees to stop the forest fire. (改为一般疑问句)
they ________ down part of the trees to stop the forest fire?
67. He is good at cooking. (改为感叹句)
a good he is！
68. Please tell me when I should finish the report. (改为简单句)
Please tell me when _______ _______ the report.
69. Kitty bought the handbag for 230 yuan. (保持句意基本不变)
Kitty _______ 230 yuan ______ the handbag.
_______ _______ does Jack go to New York on business?
Part 3 Reading and Writing
VIII. Reading comprehension. （共56分）
( A )
Hetty Robinson was born in 1834. When her parents died, they left her $10 million. She was very good at business and made more money. Soon Hetty became the richest woman in the United States, but she was very stingy(吝啬的).
Hetty always wore the same black dress. The color of the dress changed to green and then to brown as the years passed by. Her home was a run-down flat with no heat in New Jersey. All she ate was onions, eggs, and cold cereal. She was too stingy to heat her food.
She was married for a short time to a millionaire, Edward Green and had a son. She was even stingy with her own child. For example, when her son hurt his knee in an accident, Hetty did not call a doctor. She dressed her son in old clothes and took him to a free clinic. The doctors knew her and asked for money. Hetty refused and took her son home. The boy did not get medical treatment, and a few years later his leg was amputated (截肢). When Hetty Green died in 1916, she left more than $100 million!
True or False （本篇每题1分）
71. Hetty was born in the eighteenth century.
72. $10 million made Hetty the richest woman in the United States.
73. .Hetty did quite well in business and her money increased.
74. Hetty was too stingy to buy herself any new clothes.
75. She loved cold food so much that she never heated her food.
76. The doctors asked Hetty to pay as they knew she was rich.
77. Hetty left a huge amount of money when she died.
( B )
19, Everton Street,
London SW 7
Thank you very much for your letter. I’ve had lots of replies to my advertisement and it’s 普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第3页（共8页）
been difficult to know how to reply to them all. Many were very interesting, though some were really strange! Yours was one of the best, so I’ve decided to ask you to write to me again if you are still interested after I tell you something about myself.
Like you I am in Year 10 and will take my School Certificate (证书) next year. But unlike you I am quite good at maths and all science subjects and poor at all sports.
I don’t like acting, but I like music very much and I play the piano well. I’m also interested in astronomy (天文学) and our hobby group are building a telescope (望远镜). It’s all very exciting.
I live with my mum and dad. Mum is Irish but Dad was born in England and has only been out of it for short holidays on the Continent—as we English call Europe. I have an older brother at university. He’s studying medicine and wants to be a doctor. If all goes well, I shall take a science degree (学位) at London University. As you have already guessed, I’m sure I want to be an astronomer. Perhaps even an astronaut one day.
I hope you’ll write again. Australia has one of the world’s greatest telescopes!
Choose the best answers. （本篇每题1分）
78. It’s a letter from Jenny to her ______.
A) parents B) relative C) pen friend D) classmate
79. Jenny comes from .
A) France B) Australia C) USA D) England
80. Theo is probably not good at .
A) Maths B) English C) History D) P.E.
81. Besides astronomy Jenny’s other hobby is _______ .
A) acting B) paying ball games
C) playing the piano D) swimming
82. ______ hope is to be an astronomer in the future.
A) Theo’s B) Jenny’s C) Jenny’s brother’s D) Theo’s brother’s
83. The English people call ______ ― the Continent‖.
A) the earth B) Asia C) Europe D) England
84. According to the letter, which of the following is true ?
A) Theo has never written to Jenny .
B) Jenny has an older brother in secondary school.
C) Jenny’s father travels a lot around the world.
D) Theo and Jenny are both students of Year 10.
( C )
Exhibitions are common ways to show people new things. Imagine a world exhibition with thousands of companies from more than 90 countries! This is a World Expo. It usually lasts for six months and millions of visitors from all over the world.
World Expos show all kinds of things as exhibits(展品). They can be displays of new inventions. They can also be cultural performances. They can be copies of well-known streets or buildings from different countries around the world.
Countries and companies often build large interesting pavilions(临时展览馆) at World Expos. These pavilions are so beautiful that people can’t wait to buy tickets to see the things in 普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第4页（共8页）
The history of World Expos started in 1851 in . On 1 May that year, the London World Expo opened in Hyde Park. Thirty-two countries attended and more than six million people came to visit. The country made a lot of money out of this Expo. In many ways, the World Expo was a great success.
Then more and more countries wanted to have an Expo. Finally, an international organization was formed in Paris in 1928. The organization for World Expos. For example, an Expo should last six months and Expos should be held every five years.
Many countries like to host World Expos they bring a lot of attention(注意力). Tourists from all over the world visit the Expo. They also visit the city and travel through the country. This helps support the local economy.
Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage. （本篇每题2分）
85. A) introduces B) organizes C) attracts D) protects
86. A) only B) even C) finally D) exactly
87. A) common B) amazing C) familiar D) necessary
88. A) France B) Italy C) Russia D) Britain
89. A) first B) second C) third D) fourth
90. A) held meetings B) created things C) wrote books D) made rules
91. A) though B) as soon as C) because D) after
Read the passage and fill in the blanks with proper words. （本篇每题2分）
When Florence Nightingale was a very little girl, she used to go with her mother to visit the sick people in the little town near where they lived. She helped to carry food and medicines.
Like other little girls of her age, Florence was very fond of playing with her dolls(玩具娃娃). Her favourite g 92 was pretending (假装) that her dolls were sick and she took good care again.
One sunny day, Florence was riding her horse with a friend of the family. When they came to the road, they saw an old man sitting by the roadside, with his sheepdog, Cap, beside him. It was clear that Cap’hurt and the old man looked very upset. The dog seemed to know its owner’. It didn’t make any sound to show its pain.
the dog’s leg carefully. She found it was broken. She bandaged (用绷带扎缚)it firmly(牢固地) and it was not long before the dog stood up again. The old man couldn’t believe his eyes it began to Florence and told the story to everyone he knew. When Florence became well known he kept telling people that her first patient had been his sheepdog, Cap.
( E )
Bobby came from a poor family. He wanted to buy his mother a Christmas present, but he only had a dime (十分硬币). He walked from shop to shop and finally came to a flower shop. Bobby asked if he could buy just one flower for his mother as a Christmas present with a dime. The shop owner said, ―You just wait here and I’ll see what I can do for you.‖
The shop owner came out a little later with twelve beautiful roses. ―That will be ten cents, young man. I just happen to have some roses on sale for ten cents a dozen(一打). Would you like them?‖
普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第5页（共8页）
Bobby took the long box from the man’s hands and left the shop happily.
As the shop owner returned inside, his wife asked, ―Who were you talking to and where are the roses you took out?‖
The man replied, ―This morning while I was preparing to open the shop, I thought I heard a voice. It told me to put aside a dozen of my best roses for a special present and I did so. Then, just a few minutes ago, a little boy came into the shop and wanted to buy a flower for his mother with a dime. When I saw him, I remembered my experience many years ago. That time I was a poor boy with nothing to buy a Christmas present for my mother. A man that I didn’t know stopped me on the street and told me that he wanted to give me ten dollars. When I saw that little boy tonight, I knew whose voice that was, and I put together a dozen of my best roses. ‖
Answer the following questions.（本篇每题2分）
99. The story took place just before Christmas, didn’t it?
100. Who did Bobby want to buy a present for?
101. How many flowers did Bobby want to buy at first?
102. Were the roses in that flower shop on sale?
103. How did Bobby feel when he left the flower shop?
104. What did Bobby make the shop owner think of?
105. What can we learn from the story?
106. Write a passage of 60-80 words on the topic “ The Fun of Learning (English /painting/ to
play the piano/ to play basketball…) ”. (以 “学习(英语/绘画/弹钢琴/打篮球…)的乐趣”为题写一篇60-80词的短文， 标点符号不占格。) （共18分）
◎ your experience of learning…
◎ the reason(s) you think it is fun learning…
普陀教院 保留版权 初三质调（201001）英语卷 第6页（共8页）