What’s the name of the story? It’s Yu Gong Moves a Mountain. Do you know other traditional Chinese stories?
Ne Zha Conquers the Dragon King
Magic Brush Ma Liang
Chang’e Flies to the Moon
Pan Gu Separates the Sky From the Earth
Match the story with 1a the pictures [a-d].
___ b Journey to the West ___ a Hou Yi Shoots the Suns ___ d Yu Gong Moves a Mountain ___ c Nu Wa Repairs the Sky.
1. once upon a time = long, long ago 从前 常用于讲述故事开头的词语
e.g. Once upon a time, there lived three monks in a small temple. 从前，在一个小庙里住 着三个和尚。
2. shoot v. 射击；发射 过去式及过去分词形式：shot, shot e.g. He shot the bird with his gun. 他用枪打鸟。
e.g. The soil is full of stones.
He threw a stone at the dog.
Listen and check (√) the facts
you hear. Which story are Anna and Wang Ming talking about? They are talking about Yu Gong
Moves a Mountain.
____ The two mountains were very high and big. ____ A very old man tried to move the mountains. ____ A man told Yu Gong that he could never do it.
Discuss the questions with your partner.
1. How does the story begin?
Once upon a time, there was a very old man. There were two mountains near his house. They were so big and high that it took a long way to walk to the other side.
2. What happened next? The old man told his family that they should all helped him to move the mountains.
3. Where would they put all the earth and stone from the mountains?
Yu Gong said they could put them into the sea because it’s big enough to hold everything.
Listen and number the pictures 2a [1-4] in order to tell the story.
Listen again and circle the words you hear.
1. A man saw Yu Gong and his (children / family) when they were working on moving the mountains. 2. He told Yu Gong he could never do it because he was old and (poor / weak).
3. As soon as the man finished (talking / speaking), Yu Gong said that his family could continue to move the mountains after he died. 4. Finally, a god was so moved by Yu Gong that he sent (two / three) gods to take the mountains away. 5. This story reminds us that you can never (know / see) what’s possible unless you try to make it happen.
Listen again and fill in the blanks.
Yu Gong and his family began to move some of the earth _____ and stone to the sea ___. One day, a man saw Yu Gong and his children moving the when they were working on _______ mountains. He told Yu Gong that he could _____ never do it because he was old and weak. As soon as the man finished talking, Yu Gong said that his family could ________ continue to move the mountains after he _____. died
His family would live and grow, but the mountains could not get bigger. So Yu __________ digging Gong and his family kept on ________ day after day and year after year. Finally, a god was so ______ by Yu Gong that he moved sen