Talk about the pictures.
Playing table tennis is very popular in China. Watching the tennis match is safer than playing it.
Last week the football match on TV was so boring because no one scored at all. This week’s NBA match is already more exciting.
Playing baseball is more dangerous than playing volleyball.
Swimming isn’t safe, it’s dangerous. Running isn’t expensive, it’s very cheap.
Staying at home is easier than going to the stadium.
Look at the pictures and talk about the sports. Use the words in the box to help you. boring cheap difficult exciting expensive popular easy relaxing
— What’s your favourite sport? — My favourite sport is swimming. It’s exciting.
1. Table tennis is more exciting than tennis. 2. Tennis is ___________________________. more difficult than table tennis 3. Basketball is ________________________. safer than football 4. Football is more dangerous than basketball ___________________________. 5. Swimming is ________________________. more relaxing than baseball 6. Baseball is __________________________. more exciting than swimming
1. This week’s match is already more exciting. 2. It is more difficult to practise in winter. 3. We are training harder than usual. 4. This year we want to do better.
上一模块我们学习了单音节形容词和部 分双音节形容词的比较级构成形式和比 较级句子的表达方式。那么，还有部分 双音节和多音节形容词，它们的比较级 是如何构成的呢？也是在词尾加-er 吗？ 不是的，一般这类形容词的比较级是在 其前加 more 构成。例如：
more popular 1) Football is _____________ than baseball in most countries. 在很多国家，足球比棒球更流行。 2) Nothing is ______________ than more enjoyable playing tennis. 没有什么比打网球更令人愉快的了。 more difficult 3) It’s ______________ to practise in winter (than in summer). 冬季训练（要比夏季训练）难度更大。
英语中的副词该如何使用呢？应该放 在句中的什么地方呢？一般来说，副词 主要用来修饰动词、形容词、副词或其 他结构。例如： 1) She plays the piano _______. badly 她钢琴弹得很糟。
really 2) I’m _______ tired after last night’s tennis match. 昨晚网球赛后我真的很累。 3) The teacher speaks very ________ and slowly __________. carefully 这位老师讲得很慢、很仔细。
注意副词与形容词在位置及功能上的 不同，试比较： carefully 1) The teacher speaks _________. 这位老师讲得很仔细。 2) The teacher is _________. careful 这位老师很细心。 不难发现，副词修饰动词时通常出现 在行为动词（实义动词）后，而形容词 通常位于系动词之后或名词之前。
另外, 有许多副词是由形容词+ly构成的。 如： careful + ly → carefully quick + ly → quickly safe + ly → safely busy + ly → busily heavy + ly → heavily 需要注意的
是，有些词既可作形容词也 可作副词。如: fast, early, late 等。
副词比较级别和形容词比较级的变化 形式大致相同，也分规则变化和不规则 变化两种。例如： 1) We are training _________ because harder we want to win. 我们训练的更刻苦，因为我们想要获 胜。
2) This year we are training _______________. more carefully 今年我们训练得更认真了。 3) Sam did _______ this year than last year. better 萨姆今年做得比去年好。
“the + 比较级，the + 比较级” 是比较 级表达中的一个固定句式，表示 “越……， 越……” 。 例如： The more carefully you drive, the safer it is. 开车越小心越好。
常用形容词、副词比较级不规则变化如下: 原级 比较级
bad / ill, badly many / much little far
worse more less farther / further
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets.
1. We trained _________ (hard) this year harder than last year. 2. The team played ________ (well) on better Saturday than on Tuesday.
3. They practised _______________ more carefully
(carefully) this week than last week.
4. Playing football is ______________ more exciting
(exciting) than watching it. 5. Playing tennis is _______________ more expensive (expensive) than swimming.
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets. Tom did his homework carelessly (careless). The music is loud (loud). 1. They are working _______ (hard) to hard learn English. cheap 2. This bike was _______ (cheap), so we decided to buy it.
slowly 3. The teacher speaks ________ (slow) carefully and __________ (careful). early 4. Mary is going to get up _______ (early) because she needs to catch the first bus. easy 5. Running is very ______ (easy). You can do it anywhere. 6. I do not like to be ______ (late). late 7. I am afraid our team is doing very badly ______ (bad).
Complete the passage with the correct form of the words in brackets. I wanted to choose a sport to keep fit. First I tried swimming. I joined the swimming more club, but the lessons were (1) _________ expensive ___________ (expensive) than I thought. So I stopped swimming and tried running. more popular The running club is (2) _______________ (popular) than the swimming club.
We ran (3) _______ (slowly) in the park. slowly Soon, I felt that running was (4) ________ boring (boring)! I decided to try something (5) ____________________ (exciting). I went exciting / more exciting walking in the mountains. Once we got lost in the mountains, and I hurt my leg (6) badly dangerous ______ (badly). It is a bit (7) ___________ ________________ (dangerous) to walk in / more dangerous the mountains, but I like the sport all the same.
1. What was the race? a) Boys’ 800 metres. b) Girls’ 800 metres. c) Girls’ 400 metres. 2. How many classes took part in the race? a) One. b) Four. c) Eight. 3. Who ran faster than the others at first? a)
Joy. b) Sandy. c) Mary.
4. What happened to Sandy later on? a) She stopped. b) She ran slowly. c) She cried. 5. ---Who finally won? --- A student from _______. a) Class 4 b) Class 5 c) Class 1
Read the passage and complete the sentences. 1. Jogging means ________________. running slowly 2. Walking is ________ than jogging. slower 3. To start jogging, you only need some comfortable sports clothes and good __________________________________ running shoes ________________.
more 4. Jogging in the countryside is ________ fun _______ than jogging in the city. 5. The more you go jogging, ____________ the healthier you will feel.
The marathon race
The marathon race gets its name from a
battle over 2,500 years ago between the
Greeks and the Persians. The battle
happened at a place called Marathon.
After the Greeks won the battle, a soldier
ran over forty kilometers to tell people
the good news. Today’s marathon race,
an important Olympic sport, is popular
all over the world. Thousands of people
race in many different marathons every
1. The marathon race gets its name from battle a __________ over 2,500 years ago. 2. The battle happened at a place called ____________. Marathon 3. A soldier ran over ____________ forty kilometers to tell people the good news. 4. Today’s marathon race is an important popular __________ and __________ Olympic sport. Thousands of 5. _____________ people race in many different marathons every year.
1. — Sorry, I can’t follow you. Would you please speak ______? — All right. (2012辽宁丹东)
A. more slowly
C. more quickly
B. more loudly
D. more quietly
2. This place is not big enough for Lucy’s birthday party. We should find a _____ one. (2012陕西) A. big B. small C. bigger D. smaller 3. — For me, winter is the best season of a year! — Me too. ______ if there’re some snows. I like a white world. (2012浙江金华) A. Better B. Worse C. Longer D. Shorter
4. _______ children there are in a family, _______ their life will be. A. The less, the better B. The fewer, the better C. Fewer, richer D. More, poorer (2011济南)
5. Dear students, please read every sentence carefully. The more ______ you are, the ________ mistakes you’ll make. (2011湖南邵阳) A. carefully, fewer B. careful ; less C. careful; fewer
6. — What do you think of Liu Huan?
— Oh, he is my favorite singer. I
think no one can sing ______. (2011威海) A. good B. well C. better D. best
7. Jack is good at drawing. I think no one draws ________. (2011安徽) A. better B. best C. worse D. worst 8. Mum, this T-shirt is much too small for me. Would you buy me a ______ one? (2011江西) A. nice B. large C. nicer D. larger
Talk about your favourite Olympic sports and choose one for your poster. A: What’s your favourite Olympic sport? B: My favourite Olympic sport is … A: Why do you like it? B: I like it because … …
Find a photo for your favourite Olympic sport and include it in the poster.
vourite Olympic sport Our favourite Olympic sport is swimming / table tennis/… We like it because it is exciting, popular … It is more exciting than …