何飞飞 延西 I. Complete the sentences according to the given phonetic transcription: 5%
1. My deskmate always carries a _______ dictionary with him. ['p?kit]
2. Have you ever heard stories about the tooth _______? ['fe?r?]
3. A home should be warm and ________. ['k?mf(?)t?b(?)l]
4. The lawyer was ________ a huge salary. [pe?d]
5. With the development of ________, people’s life is becoming better and better. [tek'n?l?d??]
pocket fairy comfortable paid technology
II. Give the proper forms: 5%
1. Living with a dog is a lot of _______, isn’t it? (funny)
2. Don’t miss the movie Life of Pi. It’s _______. (excite)
3. Yesterday afternoon, when I was walking past the bank, I saw a _______ happen with my own
4. Money alone can’t bring us ________. (happy)
5. He went out of the room, and then ________ in the dark. (appear)
fun exciting robbery happiness disappeared
III. Complete the following passage with the words or phrases in the box. Each word or phrase can only be used once. 6%
Water is reading? Reading is very important means of gaining knowledge about culture, customs, science and so on from other ______. Reading is an activity that people enjoy a lot in their free time. Some like reading newspaper and others enjoy novels or comic books. My favourite books are those about the lives of great people. Reading them always gives me ______ ideas on how to make my own life better.
Great people are remembered not because they were handsome or beautiful, but because they didn’t _______ when their life was difficult. They tried to use every chance to ______ their life and to make the world better.
One good example is Orville and Wilbur Wright, the two brothers who ______ the airplane. The plane has made the world into a small village. Hard work, not good luck, is the reason why the Wright Brothers could invent this convenient machine and become great people. Today we will remember them when we see planes in the sky.
Whenever I read stories about great people, I _______ learn a lot from them and they encourage me to study hard.
This is why I enjoy reading about great people’s lives.
D G A F B E
IV. Choose the best answer. 15%
26. _______ Yu Garden and _______ Bund are stops for every tourist in Shanghai.
A. The, the B. /,/ C. /, the D. The, /
27. Kitty has lived in Shanghai _______. So she has been there _______ several years.
A. in, for B. since, for C. since, at D. in, since
28. Lianyungang is _______ Shanghai.
A. north-east B. to the north-east of C. in north-east D. in the north-east of
29. ________ you go to the People’s Square, you _______ a huge open are with green grass and trees.
A. When, see B. If, see C. When, saw D. If, will see
30. I want to buy a pair of jeans. Would you show me a suitable _______?
A. one B. ones C. piece D. pair
31. _______ is convenient _______ between Pudong and Puxi.
A. It, to travel B. That, travelling C. It, travelling D. That, to travel
32. The price of Shanghai license plate is getting ________.
A. more and more expensive B. higher and higher
C. more and more high D. more expensive and expensive
33. ----I don’t like films about clowns because they look stupid.
A. So do I B. Neither do I C. Neither can I D. I’m afraid not
34. He _______ buy so much food because there will be only a few people at the party.
A. need to B. needs to C. doesn’t need to D. needn’t to
35. I couldn’t _______ the name of that boy who is my primary classmate.
A. think of B. think over C. think about D. think for
36. ----_______ does it take to go to the zoo by bike?
---About half an hour.
A. How often B. How long C. How much D. How many
37. This electric kettle can also be used for ________ water warm.
A. keep B. keeping C. to keep D. keeping A. together B. at all C. after all D. in all
39. ----Would you like some drink, Jack?
A. Thanks very much B. Yes, some cakes.
C. Yes, please. I’d like some tea D. You are welcome
40. -----Shall we visit China Art Museum this weekend?
A. Not at all B. Yes, that’s a good idea C. Thank you D. Ok, I will do it CBBDD ABBCA BBDCB
V. Rewrite the sentences as required. 10%
1. I saw something strange in the street just now. (改为否定句)
I ______ see _______ strange in the street just now. 就划线部分提问)
_______ ________ do you prefer? 就划线部分提问)
________ _________ is the film the film Oz the Great and Power?
4. Global Financial Center is taller than any other building in Shanghai. (保持原意)
Global Financial Center is _______ ＿＿＿＿building in Shanghai.
５. She is a little girl. She knows a lot about science. (合并句子)
________ she is a little girl, she knows ________ about science.
didn’t, anything Which coat How long the tallest Although much
Part 3 Reading and Writing
Chinese passport has just got a little smarter. Starting on May 15, Beijing started giving out a new kind of passport. It has an electronic chip inside which holds the person’s name, age, photo and other personal information. The rest of the passport is the same as before, with plenty of pages for visas. What’s a passport? A passport is a kind of ID. It looks like a little notebook, usually with a symbol of the person’s country on the front, and a picture of the person and other personal information on the inside pages. When people go abroad, they have to bring their passports with them to show that they are citizens of their home country.
A visa is the stamp or mark that the government of a foreign country puts in a person’s passport. It shows that the person is allowed to be in that country, to travel or work or even live there. Different visas are for different lengths of time. Some can be for work; others are for a whole year. Chinese passports, for example, don’t need to apply for visas to visit Seychelles, Fiji, Jeju Island of South Korea and several other countries and places, all you have to do is to bring your passport. However, Chinese people still need to apply for visas to most countries in the world, such as the USA and the UK.
Choose the best answer: 6%
41. What is added to the Chinese passport?
A. An electronic chip B. The holder’s name and age
C. The holder’s photo D. Some visas
42. The second paragraph mainly introduces_________
A. Chinese passports B. What a passport is C. What a visa is D. smart notebooks
43. Which is not found in a passport?
A. Nationality B. Photo C. Weight D. Address
44. What does the underlined word “applying” mean?
A. making B. Asking C. Buying D. Giving
45. Which of the following place can’t holders of Chinese passports visit without applying for visas?
A. Fiji B. Jeju Island C. the USA D. Seychelles
46. What does the writer say about a visa?
A. It’s a little notebook with a person’s basic information.
B. It’s a kind of ID
C. It shows the person is a citizen in his home country.
D. It’s something that shows a person is allowed to enter another country.
A group of frogs were travelling through the forests, but _______ two of them fell into a hole. The they could not save them. The two frogs tried their best to jump out of the hole. The frogs outside the hole ______ saying that they were sure to die. One of the two frogs, who heard what the other forgs were saying, finally, fell down and died. other frogs asked, “Didn’t you hear us?” The frog, who had a poorexplained, “I thought you were encouraging me all the time.”
The story teaches us a lesson : There is a power (力量)of life and death in the tongue. 47. A. unlucky B. luckily C. unluckily D. lucky
48. A. small B. deep C. big D. wide
49. A. up B. down C. off D. into
50. A. finished B. kept C. stopped D. enjoyed
51. A. got out B. got up C. got on D. got off
52. A. smelling B. hearing C. eyesight D. looking
53. A. interesting B. exciting C. funny D. encouraging
During the Second World War．John's family didn't have a washing machine．And keeping clothes clean b_______ a problem for them.
Later John’s uncle decided to join the army and his wife was going with him．John's family told them that they could take care of their furniture while they were a_______. John’s uncle said,” It is i______ for us to use it during the war. And it would be better for you to use it.”
Young John helped his mother do the h_______, and he liked the washing machine very much. Later, the war ended and his uncle came back．John’s family planned to r_______ the machine. His mother sent him to give back the machine to his uncle. John felt upset at that time. His mother saw this and said to him, “Son, you must remember that machine didn’t belong to us in the first place. It was a g_______ for us to be able to use it. So let’s be grateful that we could use it for such a long time.” We have all experienced loss：loss of people and things．H_______，if we see the thing we lost as a gift that we were given for a long time，maybe the sad memories will change into thankful ones.
became away impossible housework return gift However
Martin Luther King, Jr. was a man with a dream. His dream was one of the most important dreams. He was born in 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia. In 1954, he became pastor of a church in Alabama.
The US in the 1960s, especially the South, was an unfair place. African-Americans didn’t have the same rights as white people.
Martin Luther King, Jr. wanted to change this. He organized many peaceful movements. His life was in danger, but he never used violence himself. Then, in 1963, with over 200,000 supporters, he marched in Washington.
There, he made his famous speech named I have a dream. The crow fell silent. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke of his dreams for the future---a future where his children were not judged for the color of their skin, but the content of their character. His language was filled with imagery from the Bible.
On April4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, this peaceful man was shot and killed. But his dream didn’t die, and only half a century on, the United States has a black president.
Answer the questions: 6%
1. Where and when was he born?
2. Why was the US an unfair place in the 1960s?
3. He organized many peaceful movements, didn’t he?
4. What was his famous speech’s name?
Its name was ______________________________
5. How was the man killed?
6. What do you think of Martin Luther King?
Write at least 60 words about the topic “a visit to ….”
Where did you visit?
How did you go there?
How was your visit?
A visit to ______________