Reading How do we deal with our problems?
… can’t get the pronunciation right
… be afraid people might laugh at me … can’t always make complete sentences … make mistakes in grammar … can’t understand spoken English … read very slowly … forget a lot of new words … can’t understand when people speak too quickly … don’t know how to use commas … don’t get much writing practice … can’t understand the words in magazines … can’t pronounce some of the words 2
学会运用词典 词典是有用的学习工具，但是许多英语单词有 不同的意思和用法。我们需要联系上下文确定 我们在词典中找到的释义。
1b. Look up the meaning of each word in the box in a dictionary.
How do we deal with our problems?
…unless we deal with our problems, we can easily become unhappy.
…you felt they were unfair.
When we are angry, however we are usually the ones affected.
…we can solve a problem by learning to forget.
We must learn how to change these “problems” into “challenges”.
Stephen Hawking, …, who regards his many physical problems as unimportant.
We are probably quite healthy and smart.
As young adults, it is our duty to try our best to deal with each challenge in our education with the help of our teachers.
Let’s not worry about our problems. Let’s face the challenges instead.
1.有问题 11.有太多的工作要做 2.为…而担心 12.对…要求严格 3.学会忘记 13.把…变成… 4.生某人的气 14.做某事是我们的职责 5.对某人不公平 15.尽我们最大的努力做… 6.随着时间的流逝 16.在老师的帮助下 7.看到某人正在做某事 17.把事情想的更糟 8.决定不再互相说话 18.拿自己和别人比较 9.把问题看做挑战 19.面对挑战 10.为…而抱怨 20.变得成功
Section 2 While You Read 1. What may happen when people are angry with others for long? Good friendships may be lost. 2. What happens to children when they have disagreements? They decide not to talk to each other. But this usually does not last for long.
3. What must we learn at school? Why? We must learn how to change these “problems” into “challenges”. Because education is an important part of our development. 4. What’s our duty as young adults? As young adults, it is our duty to try our best to deal with e
ach challenge in our education with the help of our teachers.
5. Who is Stephen Hawking?
He is a very clever scientist. 6. What should we do after comparing ourselves to Stephen Hawking? We should face the challenges instead of worrying about our problems.
Write out the example given for the context used in the reading. A soldier must do his duty. duty(n) smart(adj) It is smart of you to bring a map.
We can solve a problem by ourselves I regard your advice as the first. We’ve no coffee. Would you like tea instead?
3c Scan the reading and check the ways of dealing with problems that are mentioned.
by talking to people about them by trying to forgot about them ? by thinking your problem is not big ? by seeing a psychologist by breaking off a friendship by thinking of a problem in a positive way.
Section 4 Go For It! Look at the reading again. Which way of dealing with problems do you think is the best? Write about a time when you dealt with a problem that way. If you have time, think of another way of dealing with problems. Tell a partner about this.
１. 你是怎么为考试作准备的? _____ do youstudy ____ ____ test ? How ____ for a ____ 2.他是怎么学习英语的? How does he ______ English? ____ learn 3.我骑车上学． by bike I go to school _____ ______. 4. 这些声音太难听懂. too It’s ____ hard to understand the voices
５．你有没有通过听英文歌来学英语？ __ ___ _______ Do you learn English by listening to English songs ６．他通过制作词汇清单来学习西班牙语． making __________ ______. He learns Spanish by ______ vocabulary lists ７. 你曾经和小组成员一起学习吗？ Have _____ you ever studied ______ a group? _______ with ８. 他是怎样练习打篮球的？ does playing How _____ he practice _________ basketball?
1. 学会了谈论和评价学习方法，如 例如： How do you study for a test? I study by …ing. … is a great / successful way to learn English … helps a little/ a lot. 2. 学会了谈论学习中遇到的困难针对学习中的困难给别人提出 一些建议，如： It wasn’t easy for me to understand the teacher when she talked. I was also afraid to speak in class, because I thought my classmates might laugh at me. How about watching English language TV? You should read more English stories. Why not study it with a group? …. 3. 学会了在上下文的语言环境中认知词汇.
1. ----- Will you watch the World Cup Match this year? ----- No, but I _____ several World Cup matches since I was a small child. A. had seen B. see C. was seeing D. have seen
2. Lily thinks that ___ English movies
____ a good way to learn English.
A. watching, is C. buying, wasn’t was
B. loving, isn’t D. looking,
3. ----- You are leaving your school. How do you like it? ----- Very much, of course, I ___ this school since I m
oved here. A. came to B. have gone to C. have been at D. have been to
4. Many English learners are afraid
____ mistakes when pronouncing
A. of making C. to making
B. make D. making
5. The life we were used to ____ greatly
B. √ has changed
D. have changed
6. She looked forward to ___ the USA.
1. 我意识到我对那件事感到兴奋。 realized got excited I ________ that I _________ about that. 2. 我经常在语法方面出错误。 make mistakes I often ______________ in grammar. 3.我飞快地记下了他的车牌号。 quickly I wrote down his car number ________. 4.这是一列快车。 fast This is a _____ train. 5.别担心，我很快就回来。 Don’t worry. I’ll be back soon _____.