Unit 1 Relatives in Beijing
1. invite (v.) 邀请 --- invitation (n.) 请帖
2. expense (n.) 费用 --- expensive (a.) 昂贵的
3. agent (n.) 代理人--- agency (n.) 代理处
4. nation (n.) 国家，民族--- national (a.) 国家的--- international (a.) 国际的
5. interest (n.) 趣味--- interesting (a.) 有趣的--- interested (a.) 感兴趣的
6. wonder (n.) 奇迹，(v.) 想知道--- wonderful (a.) 精彩的
1. relatives in Beijing 在北京的亲戚
2. plan a trip to?, plan to visit?(plan-planning) 到。。。旅游的计划
3. get a letter from+人?=hear from+人 收到某人的信
4. invite sb. To+地点?:eg.invite you to dinne 邀请某人去。
invite sb. to do sth.?eg.: invite you to have dinner邀请某人去做某事
5. stay with?和某人呆在。。。
6. in August, in +年、月、星期
7. on 16 August, on +具体的几日 on Monday on +星期几
on Monday afternoon 在几日的上午/下/晚上 on the morning of August 16 on 16 August (on the sixteenth of August); on August 16 (on August the sixteenth)
9. at the end of August 在八月末/底 at the end of （时间或地点）
eg: He lives at the end of this road. 他住在这条路的尽头。
We will travel to Beijing at the end of August. 我们会在8月底去北京旅游。 by the end of （时间）通常用完成时 at the end of （时间）通常用一般时 eg: We had finished all the work by the end of last month.
We finished all the work at the end of last month.
10. send us a photograph, send a photograph to us 给我们寄了一张照片
11. travel to Beijing by plane 乘飞机去北京旅行
12. cheaper and more interesting 更便宜、更有趣
13. talk to sb,对某人说 talk with sb,和某人说 talk about sth.谈论某事
14. get some brochures from the travel agent从?得到 ?
15. the names of our cousins。。。的名字
16. at the travel agent's =at the travel agency 在旅游代理处
17. That's expensive/cheap.
18. in early/late August 在八月初/末
19. stay there for two weeks 在那儿呆了两周
stay there until ? stay there at the end of ? come back at( the end of)
stay 是延续性动词，come 是非延续性动词
20. Thank you for sth. Thank you for doing sth. 因为做 而感谢?
21. cost作及物动词时, cost表示某物值多少钱，花费多少钱。主语必须是物，通常是所买的东西或代词 it , 不能是人。cost 后跟钱数，也可跟双宾语，意为“某物花某人多少钱” eg: The ticket costs me 549 yuan.
The ticket costs a lot of money.
spend指人花费, 表示某人花费多少钱在某物上，或者某人花费多少时间做某事。Spend的主语必须是人, 不能是物。Spend 后不可跟不定式。
Sb. spend (some time or money) on sth.
Sb. spend (some time or money) in doing sth.
eg: She spent a lot of money on this project.
She spent a lot of money in doing this project.
take指某物花费或需要多少时间，也指做某事花费或需要多少时间主语不能是人，一般用 it 作形式主语。
It takes sb. some time to do sth.
eg: It takes me about two hours and a half to travel from Garden City to Beijing.
pay意思为“付款”, 用作及物动词时，它的宾语必须是人或钱，不能是购买的东西，如果要跟购买的物品，必须用 pay for。
pay sb. 付某人钱 pay money 付多少钱 pay sb. money付某人多少钱, pay for sth. 为某物付款 pay money for sth. 为某物付多少钱
22. Why don't we ? + 动词原形 ? （提建议）我们为什么不 ? 呢 ？
Why not + 动词原形 ？ 为什么不 ? 呢？
What about doing ? ? 做...怎么样 ？ 这几组表达方式意义相近。
Why don't you join us ? = Why not join us ? = What about joining us ?
23．be excited about + n. 因 。。。 而兴奋
cboose (chose, chosen) vt.选择，挑选
flat n. 一套房间；公寓房间
town n.城镇，市镇 in the centre of town 在市中心
in the suburbs 在郊区
square n. & a.平方(的)；四方形（的)；广场
public a.公共的 public transport 公共交通
high-rise n.多层建筑，高层建筑 adj.多层的；高层的
face vt. & vi.面朝，面向，正对 n.脸
agree vi.同意，赞同 agree with sb.与某人保持一致看法
should v. aux.应当，应该
move vt. & vi.搬动；搬(家)；移动
conduct vt. & vi.进行；实施 conduct a survey 进行一次调查
housing estate [英]住宅区
in the centre of town 在市中心
in the suburbs 在郊区
face south 面南，朝南
agree with sb. 同意某人的意见
the Wangs 王家，姓王的一家人（the Fangs）
need to do sth. 需要做某事
don’t need / have = needn’t 不需要做…
have a look （at） 看一看….
this week/year/Monday（带this，that或next的时间状语前一般不用介词）housing estate 住宅区
be happy/glad to do sth. 高兴做某事
a bigger one/pair 一个/双/条更大的
have an area of 占地……
a piece of paper 一张纸
a lot of / lots of + 可数名词复数/不可数名词
I. Choose the right word
finish, write, see, read, thank
1. Mary already reading all the “Harry Potter” books.
a novel these days.
II. Rewrite the sentences as required:
What was yesterday ?
2. It is very cold today. （改为感叹句）
it is today ?
3. Mary likes Western food better than Chinese food.
Mary Western food Chinese food. （保持意思不变）
she go to school ?
5.Peter had some wonderful paintings. (改为否定句)
Peter _________ _________ any wonderful painting.
6.Dr Li doesn't smoke, He doesn't drink, either. (合并成一句)
Dr Li ________ smokes ________ drinks.
7.The journey is very exciting. (改为感叹句)
_______ ______ exciting journey it is ! 划线提问)
_________ did Allen _________ many stories about the detective ?
9.How much did you spend on these clothes ?(保持原句意思)
How much did you _________ _______ these clothes ?
10.The nurse is so busy that she has no time to look after her family. (保持原句意思) The nurse is _______ busy ______ take care of her family.
I. Choose the best answer. （选择正确的答案）
( ) 1. He had a brochure in one hand and travelling maps in his _________ other hand.
A. a B. an C. the D. \
( ) 2. At the customs house I showed __________ passport, and my wife showed __________.
A. mine, hers B. my, her C. my, hers D. mine, her
( ) 3. __________ the morning of Jan. 20, 2009, Barack H. Obama was sworn in (宣誓就职) as the 44th President of the United States of American.
A. In B. For C. At D. On
( ) 4. The price of the maglev is very ___________, isn't it?
A. high B. cheap C. expensive D. dear
( ) 5. There are _________ more swans on Kunming Lake than on Daoxiang Lake.
A. very B. a lot C. great D. so
( ) 6. Ben is very excited _____________ he hasn't seen his cousons before.
A. because B. so C. but D. when
( ) 7. Hainan Province is ___________ the south of Guangdong Province.
A. in B. to C. on D. from
( ) 8. The other day Mary___________ her cousions around the Summer
A. show B. shows C. showed D. has showed
II. Complete the sentences with the given words in their proper forms.（用括号中所给单词的适当形式填空）
1. The railway station is crowded with___________ (travel) during the holidays.
2. You look ___________ (love) than before in this skirt, Cathy.
3. Have you ___________ (plan) your journey?
4. Food, clothing, light and heating are necessary ___________ (expensive).
5. But the _______________ (interest) students stayed on until the lecture(讲座)ended.
III. Rewrite the following sentences as required. （按要求改写句子）
1. The train ticket for Hong Kong cost me 40 dollars. （改为反意疑问句）
The train ticket for Hong Kong cost me 40 dollars，___________ ___________？
2. It took the Lis 20 hours to travel to Beijing by train. （对划线部分提问）
___________ _________ did it take the Lis to travel to Beijing by train?
3. My journey to Beijing was very pleasant. （就划线部分提问）
_____________ ___________ your journey to Beijing?
4. Let's go to visit the Bund first. （改为反意疑问句）
Let's go to visit the Bund first, _____________ ____________?
5. This ferry has space for more than 400 people. （保持句意基本不变）
This ferry ___________ _____________ more than 400 people.
Choose the words or expressions to complete the passage.
A golden wedding anniversary is a celebration of fifty years of marriage. Usually there is a big There are sons and daughters, nieces and nephews, brothers and sisters, cousins, grandchildren--- even great grand children. Of course many old friends come, too. Usually members of the family But it can be a time of confusion(混淆“Albert,”“this is your cousin George. He's really your of all their relatives. one mother will say,
second cousin because he's Dorothy's son. Dorothy is my first cousin. Her mother is Aunt Helen, ”
At times there are stepsisters, half-brothers and nieces-in-law. There are “aunts” and “uncles” who aren't relatives at all, but good friends of the family! It can be very confusing, 5 everyone has a good time.
( ) 1. A. why B. how C. what D. who
( ) 2. A. the same B. every C. both D. different
( ) 3. A. easy B. a pleasure C. hard D. fun
( ) 4. A. sister B. mother C. niece D. daughter
( ) 5. A. so B. but C. and D. for