新目标 九年级 Unit 13
Unit 13 Rainy days make me sad.
1a Match each slogan with one of the products
2a 2b Listening
Products What people say ___1. Easy Care a. It tastes terrible. No Shampoo ___2. Lookout b. It worked really well. No Sunglasses Yes ___3. Beauty c. They don’t even Cream keep out the sun. ___4. Starshine d. It didn’t work No Toothpaste
go to a concert surf the sea see a cartoon movie
A: Have you ever had Beijing Duck? B: Yeah. I love it. A: Have you ever had…? B: Yeah. And it made me…
Try to write some slogans about them.
Save the water
protect green plants Protect the enviroment
Advertising: pros and cons
Scanning the passage and answer the question.
* What’s the article about?
* Do you agree with it?
Reading carefully and fill in the chart.
Advertising: pros and cons Advantages Ads can help you of ads ________________ compare products . Ads can help you save money __________. Disadvantag Ads make our cities and es of ads countries ________. look ugly Ads can be confusing ________and __________. misleading Ads can lead you to buy something useless ____________________.
1. pros and cons
n. 赞成和反对的理由 例如：
To consider all the pros and cons of a matter before reaching a decision. 作出决定前先好好考虑所有赞成和 反对的理由。
2. It’s true that some ads can be very
(1) It’s + adj. +that 其中it 是形式主语, 代替that引导的主语从句。 如： It is strange that be had made a mistake. 真怪, 他竟做错了。
(2) useful adj. 有用的
useless adj. 无用的, 无价值的
如: a useful idea 有用的主意
a few useless suggestions
3. For instance, they can help you to
compare two different products so that you can buy the one you really need. 如: 他们能够帮你比较两种不同的产品, 以至于你能买到你真正需要的那个。
(1) for instance, for example 例如
(2) compare 比较，对照 compare...with... 把……与……相比 如: If we compare French schools with British schools, we will find many differences.
如果我们把法国的学校与英国的学校 相比, 会发现许多不同之处。 compare...to... 把……比作…… 如: The poet compares the woman he loves to a rose. 这位诗人把他所钟情的女人比作玫瑰花。
(3) the one you really need 是定语从句 the one 是定语从句中的先行词, that作为引导词在从句中做宾语省
4. However, some advertising can be confusing or misleading. 然而, 一些广告会混淆或误导你。 (1) confuse v. 使迷惑 如: Waking up in strange surroundings confused her. 她醒来时看到一片陌生的环境, 这把 她搞糊涂了。
confusing a. 令人迷惑的 如: The instructions are very confusing and I can’t understand them. 这些指示莫名其妙, 我没有办法
理解。 confused adj. 迷惑的, 糊涂的 如: He gets confused easily. 他很容易被弄糊涂。
v. 使某人做错, 误导
如: a misleading description /
5. …but don’t really tell you anything about the quality of the product. 但没有真正告诉你有关产品质量的 任何问题。
tell sb. about sth. 告诉某人有关某事
tell sb. sth. 告诉某人某事 例: (1) The granny told us about a thief breaking into her house. 老奶奶告诉我们她家失窃的事。 (2)The old man told us about his sufferings in the old days. 老人告诉我们他过去受的苦。
(3) He told the happy news to everybody. 他把好消息告诉了大家。 (4) Tell me where you live.
6. You have to be careful. 你得小心。 be careful“小心,当心”, 后常跟 of 短 语。与它同义的有look out。 例:
(1) Aren’t you a bit too careful of
your health? 你对个人的健康难道不
(2) Be careful when crossing the road. 过马路要小心。 (3) You must look out for the snags. 你们必须当心意外困难。 (4) Look out! There’s danger ahead. 当心！前面有危险。
7. At times an ad can lead you to buy something you don't need at all. 有时,一个广告能导致你去买你根本 不需要的东西。 (1) at times，sometimes 有时 如： At times I wonder if it’s all worth while. 有时我怀疑我干这件事是否值得。
(2) lead sb. to do 怂勇, 引诱
例: She led me to believe that she had a lot of influence. 她诱使我相信她很有权势。 (3) not ...at all 无论如何(都不), 一点 (都不)
例:I don’t agree with you at all.
我完全不同意你的话。 It was late, but they were not tired at all. 已经夜深了, 但是他们一点都不觉 得累。
I would love to jump out of a plane.
Not me. This picture makes me feel tense.
Image you read the advertisement and tried it. But you found you were cheated. Write a letter to the Consumers’ Association about your feelings.
Pond’s bring you the first –oilreducing cream that keeps your skin
clear and matt all day. Pond’s absord
all the oil in your skin all day.
Try it and see how beautiful your
skin can be.
Last month, I read an ad in the newspaper. It’s about a cream called Pond’s. It said that it can keep your skin clear and matt all day. But I tried it and found that it didn’t____________ work at all . ___________________________________ There is also much oil in my face. I can’t ___________________________________ feel clear. My face looks dirty and faint ___________________________________ (暗淡). I think its ad is misleading. I hate ______. it.
Copy a short ad on computer or newspaper. Tomorrow, you will read it to the class.
Thank you for listening!