Unit 2 I used to be afraid of the dark.
Talk about what you used to be like.
1. I used to be short when I was young.
2. —Did you use to have straight hair?
—Yes, I did. 是的。
3. —Did you use to play the piano?
—No, I didn?t. 不，我不弹。
4. I used to be afraid of dark.
5. I?m terrified of the snakes.
6. —Did you use to be afraid of being alone?
—Yes, I did. 是的，我怕。
7. I used to walk to school.
dark 黑暗 sure 无疑，确实 terrify 使害怕，使恐惧 on 接通的，工作着的 spider 蜘蛛 insect 昆虫 chew 嚼，咀嚼 gum 口香糖 right 立即，马上 comic 连环漫画 hardly 不十分，简直没有
used to do sth. 过去经常 be interested in 对…感兴趣 be on the swim team 是游泳队成员 be afraid of 害怕 be terrified of 害怕 with the light on 灯开着做… worry about 担心 chew gum 嚼口香糖
these days 目前，如今 not…any more 不再
short hair 短发 curly hair 卷发
long hair 长发 straight hair 直发
tall 高的 short 矮的
（be）medium height 中等身高 thin 瘦的
heavy 重的，沉的 (have/has) a medium build 中等胖瘦
1. “主语+used to+动词原形+其它”。在这个句型结构中used to的含义为“过去常常”。表示过去的习惯，暗示现在已无此习惯，
Dave在过去几年中一直在factory（工厂）中工作，但现在他在Supermarket（超市）中工作，所以Dave usedto work in a factory. 隐含的意思是：Dave worked in a factory before but he doesn?t work there now.
2. 我们可以说I used to work…/She used to have…/they used to be…等等，也就是说used这个词没有人称的变化，to后面接动词原形。
·When I was a child, I used to like chocolate
·I used to read a lot of books but I don?t read much these days.
·Liz has got short hair now but it used to be very long.
·They used to live in the same street as us, so we often used to see them. But we don?t see them very often thesedays.
他们过去和我们住在同一条街道，所以我们经常能看见他们，但现在我们不能经常见到他们了。 ·Ann used to have a piano, but she sold it a few years ago.
used to的否定形式是I didn?t use to….
·When I was a child, I didn?t use to like tomatoes.
问句形式是did you use to…?
·Where did you use to live before you came here?
3. used to这个词组只用于讲述过去，我们不能用use to来讲述现在
·I used to play tennis. These days I play golf.
（不说 I use to play golf.）
·We usually get up early.
（不说We use to get up early）
我们用anymore来表示情况或活动的变化。（We use anymore to show a change in a situation or activity.） ·She used to live in NewYork, but she doesn?t live there anymore.
如果动词（或动词短语）相同，则第二个动词可省略。（If the Second Verb phrase has the same verb, you can omitit.）
·She used to live in London, but she doesn?t anymore.
anymore可不与used to连用（You can use anymore without used to）
·She doesn?t live in NewYork anymore.
·We don?t go there anymore.
·They never talk to me anymore.
·No one likes him anymore.
我们用still来说明某人或某物没有变化。（Use still to show that something or someone has not changed） She still lives in Mexico.
still应放在主要动词前面（Use still before the main verb）
He still lives in New Zealand.
He is still crazy after all these years.
still 应放在像can, may, should这样的助动词之后
She can still play the piano.
频率副词（如always）在句中位置不同。（Adverbs of frequency can appear in different positions in a sentence.） 它们的位置应是：在主要动词之前，在be动词之后，在助动词（will, can, have等）之后，在used 't之前。 ·I usually get up at six.
·You were rarely happy. 你很少高兴。
·You will sometimes hear from them.
·I have seldom spoken to her.
·They never used to dance.
·He always used to call her.
1. used to和would
When we were children we used to/would go skating every winter. 我们小时候每年冬天都去滑冰。
I do not swim so often as I used to
He would sometimes work into the night.
He would go to see Mother every vacation.
He isn?t what he used to be. 他不再是过去的他。
2. used to do和be used to doing.
①be used to 是“习惯于”某一客观事实和状态，不强调动作，to是介词，后面接名词或动名词，
I am used to the weather here.
He is used to hard work. 他习惯于艰苦的工作。
如：You will soon get used to the weather here.
In the end, I got used to doing the hard work.
1. I?m on the swim team. (Section A 2b)
类似的说法还有：I?m on the soccer team 或I play on the soccer team.
2. People sure change. (Section A 2b)
如：It sure was cold. 天气确实很冷。
3. Are you still afraid of the dark?
I?m terrified of the dark.
（Section A 3b）
afraid的词组有be afraid of sth 害怕某物
如：She?s afraid of dogs.
He?s afraid of seeing strangers.
在口语中也说I?m afraid he?s out at the moment.
be terrified of doing sth 是个同义词组。
如：I?m terrified of being alone.
4. I go to sleep with my bedroom light on. (Section A 3b)
5. 课文Section B 3a 难点
5. these days
“…but these days I get up early and stay in school all day.”
Your son?s trouble is very common these days.
Then I go right home and eat dinner.
如：The wind blew right in our faces.
7. have to
but now. I have to study.
其句型为have (has) to+动词原形
如：We have to leave now.
He has to work on Sunday.
I had to do my homework last Sunday.
8. hardly ever.
These days, I hardly ever have time for concerts.
hardly ever = very seldom.很少
He hardly ever goes to bed before midnight.
I really miss the old days.
How he misses his mother while she is away in London!
I?m afraid that Jim will miss a lot of his lessons.
I missed catching the 2：15 train.
They are looking for the missing child.
10. It seems that…(Selfcheck)
It seems that YuMei has changed a lot.
It seems as if he would recover.
It seemed that the day would never end.
1 read comics 2 chew gum 3. short 4 get up early 5 medium build
6 play on the swim team 7 sleep with light on 8 play games
9 straight hair 10 heavy 11 watch TV 12 thin 13 paint pictures
14 attend gym class 15 eat candy
A 容貌外表__________ __________ __________ __________ __________
B 生活习惯__________ __________ __________ __________ __________
C 活动爱好__________ __________ __________ __________ __________
1. comic a. almost no
2. hardly b. fill with fear
3. insect c. books or magazines with stories in the form of drawings
4. terrify d. winged animals with 6 legs
5. dark e. having little or no light
1. I ___________ frustrated when I wasn?t sure of the correct answer.
A. may be B. used to C. used to be D. use to be
2. When I was a child, I used to ___________ chocolate.
A. liking B. like C. liked D. likes
3. ___________ work in Microsoft?
A. Did you used to B. Did you use to
C. Do you used to D. Do you use to
4. Where ___________ live before you came here?
A. did you used to B. did you use to
C. use he to D. he used to
5. No one likes him ___________.
A. still B. never C. anymore D. too
6. I am ___________ of spiders.
A. terrify B. terror C. terrifying D. terrified
7. He is afraid of ___________ strangers.
A. see B. seeing C. saw D. seen
8. It ___________ that he has been ill for a long time.
A. seems B. looks C. looks as if D. seems as if
9. I always go to sleep ___________ the light on.
A. in B. with C. to D. and
10. Don?t ___________ about things so much. It will make you stressed out.
A. afraid B. terrify C. terrified D. worry
1. I used to play tennis. I stopped playing a few years ago.
2. Do you do any sport? Yes, I play basketball.
3. ?Have you got a car???No, I _______________ one but I sold it.?
4. George _______________ a waiter. Now he?s the manager of a hotel.
5. ?Do you go to work by car???Sometimes but most days I_______________ by train.?
6. When I was a child, I never _______________ meat, but I eat it now.
7. Mary loves watching TV. She _______________ TV every evening.
8. We _______________ near the airport but we moved to the city centre a few years ago.
9. Normally I start work at 7 o?clock, so I _______________ up very early.
10. What games __________ you _______________ when you were a child?
My grandmother complains about how things have changed, and she says that life 1 be better.
Families aren?t families the way they 2 be. Everyone?s divorced.(离婚) If a husband and wife are havingproblems with their marriage, they don?t stay together 3 . And mothers 4 stay home and take care of theirchildren, but not 5 . Everyone?s working. No one has time for children 6 .
And the cars! No one walks 7 ; everybody drives. We 8 walk five miles to school everyday, even in winter. And people don?t talk to each other 9 . They are too busy to talk, too busy to eat, too busy to think… Life 10 be simple, but it isn?t 11 .
Holly: Did you see Jim Jensen? He used to be so wild!
Greta: Yes, but he 1 (be). He looks very conservative（保守） now.
Holly: Was he thin in high school? I don?t remember.
Greta: Yes, and he 2 (be).
Holly: 3 (he, wear) glasses?
Greta: Yes, he does.
Holly: 4 (he play) the guitar?
Greta: Yes, he does, but now he plays classical guitar. He 5 (play) rock and roll 6 .
Holly: Didn?t he used to have long hair?
Greta: Yes, he did, but now he?s bald. I also saw Jan Bissing at the reunion（校庆）. Remember her? She used to bethe most popular girl in school.
Holly: What does she look like now? 7 (she, look) the same?
Greta: Yes, except for her hair. She 8 (have) long, brown hair 9 . It?s short and blonde. And she 10 (be)cute! She 11 (have) those big blue eyes and those thick
Holly: There was something different about her…didn?t she always used to wear a hat?
Greta: Yes, and she 12 (do).
Holly: Didn?t she used to date（和…约会） George Weissler?
Greta: She 13 (do)! In fact, they?re going to get married （结婚）next month.
George结婚了。George离过婚，并有两个孩子。这个表格显示了Carol生活的变化。请用6句以上的话描述。 always go dancing on weekends stay home on weekends
often/usually go out to eat cook dinner
travel clean the house
do the laundry every day
sometimes read novels help kids with homework
go to the beach go to the beach
seldom/hardly cook go out to eat
never stay home on weekends go dancing
go to baseball games travel
一、A. 容貌外表 3 5 9 10 12
B. 生活习惯 2 4 7 11 15
C. 活动爱好 1 6 8 13 14
二、1. c 2. a 3. d 4. b 5.e
三、1. C 2. B 3. B 4. B 5. C 6. D 7. B 8.A 9. B 10.D
四、2. He used to play football
3. She used to be a taxi driver.
4. They used to live in the country.
5. He used to wear glasses.
6. This building used to be new.
五、3. used to 4. used to 5. go to work
6. used to eat 7. watches 8. used to live
9. get 10. did…use to play
六、1. used to 2. used 3. anymore
4. used to 5. anymore 6. anymore
7. anymore 8. used to 9. anymore
10. used to 11. anymore
七、1. isn?t anymore 2. still is 3. Does he still wear
4. Does he still play 5. doesn?t play 6. anymore
7. Does she still 8. doesn?t have 9. anymore
10. is still 11. still has 12. still does
13. still does
八、She always used to go dancing on weekends, but now she stays home on weekends; She often used to go out to eat, but now she cooks dinner every day. She doesn?t read novels anymore. She sometimes help kids with homework.