Talk about the ways to go to a city
that you like to visit.
1. How do you get there?
2. What’s the cheapest way to get there?
3. What’s the best way to get there?
Number the ways of travelling from the most expensive to the least expensive.
Questions: What’s the best way to travel from London to Amsterdam? I am planning to travel from London to Amsterdam. How long does the journey take and what is the best way to travel? Could you please tell me about the trains or ships to get there? The more information, the better. Thanks!
Best answer: There are four ways to travel. A journey by train is more relaxing than by coach, but a lot more expensive. When you go by train, buy your ticket a long time before you travel. It’s usually cheaper.
You can go by car and by ship across the North Sea. This is the most comfortable way to travel but also the most expensive. Book your ticket before you book your hotel. Remember that parking in Amsterdam is very expensive, so stay outside the city centre and travel in by bus or train.
The third choice is by coach. This is usually the cheapest, but in summer, the coaches sometimes get crowded! And it takes you about twelve hours to get there. However, it will not cost as much as going by train.
Finally, you can fly. It’s the fastest and the second cheapest, but you may have to wait for hours at the airport because of bad weather. Well, I hope this helps! Have a great trip!
Complete the table. Ways of Good travellin points g Train More relaxing than by coach Bad points
More expensive than by coach
Ways of Good travellin points g
Car and ship
the most comfortable way to travel
the most expensive way to travel
Ways of Good travellin points g Coach
crowded in summer and taking a long time
Ways of Good travellin points g fastest and not very expensive
may have to wait for hours at the airport because of bad weather
Complete the passage with the correct form of the words in the box.
choice cost however journey outside There are four ways to travel from London to Amsterdam. The first (1) ___________ is by train because the (2) choice ___________ takes only four hours. (3) journey ____________, it’s quite expensive. However
Going by coach does not (4) ______ as cost much as going by train. When you go by car and by ship, remember that parking in Amsterdam is not cheap, so it is best to stay (5) ________ the city centre and outside travel in by bus or by train. Going by plane is the (6) _______, but you need to fastest go to the airport. It also takes time.
Ask and answer about the ways of travelling. Use the information in the table. — What’s the cheapest way to travel from London to Paris? — The cheapest way is by coach.
Ways Cos Time of t travell ing Lon coach ￡20 10 donhour Pari s s plane ￡80 1 hour train ￡60 3 hour
Comf Inter ortab estin le g * **
Write a passage about ways of trav
elling from London to Paris. Use the information in Activity 5 and the passage in Activity 2 to help you.
You can go from London to Paris by coach, plane or train. Travelling by plane is the fastest but also the most expensive way to get there. It’s also less interesting than by coach or by train. The coach is cheaper than the train and the plane, but it’s also slower and uncomfortable.
The train is the second most expensive and second fastest way to travel. Travelling by train is the most interesting way because you can look out of the window at the countryside.
1. journey, travel 和 trip 的用法辨析
journey名词，意为“旅行”、“旅程”。常 指远距离的或陆地的旅行。一般指单程，不 回到出发地的旅行。 travel 名词，意为“旅行”。泛指一般意义的 旅行，不能特指某一次的旅行。前面可以用 物主代词，但不能与many或数词连用。 trip名词，意为“旅行”、“远足”。常指近 距离的旅行或远足。一般指双程，还回到出 发地的旅行。
cost 作名词时，意为“价钱”； “成本”； “代价”。作动词时，意为“价钱为”； “花费”。cost作动词时，过去式和过去 分词同原形形式一样，三词同形。
The more information, the better. 信息越多越好。 + 比较级”是个固定 “the +比较级，the
句型，意为“越… …，就越… …”。
e.g. The older he gets, the happier he is. 他越活越开心。
The more dangerous it is, the more he
likes it. 越危险他越喜欢。
4. A journey by train is more relaxing than by coach, but a lot more 在比较级前添加a lot, much, a little, a bit 等 expensive.
词，可以说明程度；添加 even, still 等词， 可以表示强调。
e.g. Tom’s room is a bit bigger than Lily’s. 汤姆的房间比莉莉的大一点点。
1. Study hard! ____ you study, _____ results you’ll get. A. Harder; better B. The harder; better C. The harder; the better D. Harder; the better
2. Dear students, please read every
sentence carefully. _______ you are, ________ mistakes you’ll make. A. The more carefully, the fewer B. The more careful, the less C. The more carefully, the less D. The more careful, the fewer
1. —What do you think of the traffic in our city? (2013菏泽) —It’s _____ than it used to be, but there’s still a long way to go. A. worse C. better B. worst D. best
2. Traveling around big cities by taxi can cost a lot of money, but it’s usually _____ to take the underground train to most places. (2013菏泽) A. amazing B. expensive C. convenient D. exciting 3. Liu Ying is as _____ as her sister. (2013湖南湘西) A. tall B. taller C. the tallest
4. I am good at math, but his English is ________ than mine. (2013黄石) A. much better B. more better C. very better D. pretty better 5. The world’s population is growing _____ and there is _____ land
and water for growing rice. (2013荆门) A. more; less B. larger; fewer C. larger; less D. more; fewer
6. It’s _____ to listen to light music when you feel tired. (2013温州) A. dangerous B. scary C. relaxing D. difficult 7. —Which season do you like _______, summer or winter? —Summer. (2013长沙) A. well B. best C. better
Remember the new words and useful expressions in this unit.