One Country, Many Cultures
Fill in each blank with the proper word from the brackets:
1. We can see many animals in the zoo, such as tigers, lions, elephants, ________ (fox) and so on. foxes
2. A young man said something to me _________(rude) rudely and then walked away. 3. Tom always asks our teacher questions _______(polite). politely 4. All the runners are ready _________(run). Who will be to run the winner? 5. It is raining ________(hard) outside. What a heavy rain! hard
Correct the mistakes: _____ 1. She forgot her book in the classroom yesterday. left ______ 2. He could hardly remember anything, couldn’t he? could
3. It’s really kind ___you to stay here with grandma these for days. of __ 4. “Are you ready to dinner?” asked the fox. for dinner/to have dinner ___ 5. Though he was very tired, but he went on working. 6. She said she would finish her homework next day. _______ the next day 7. Now the woman is doing her best to be politely. ______ polite _____ 8. It rained hardly last night. hard
句型转换，每空一词： 1. He has hardly eaten anything, ________? has he (完成反意疑问句) 2. The young man replied rudely. (对划线部分提问) _______ did the young man _________? How reply 3. The boy said, “Would you like to have dinner with me?” (变为间接引语) The boy asked ___________ I would like to have whether/if dinner with _________. him 4. You’ve hardly eaten anything! (同义句) You’ve _________ eaten nothing! almost
Use your imagination to act out the end of the story with a partner.
Think about it! 1. How many cultures does China have? How many can you name? 2. What are some of the interesting things in our culture? 3. Canada can be described as “bilingual” and “multicultural”. It also has a group called “First Nations”. What do the three terms mean? bilingual multicultural “(能)使用两种语言的” “多种文化交汇的”
Talk about the picture!
1. Where are these dancers from? 2. Who lived in North America “first” before other people came to North America?
Read carefully and answer the following questions:
1. What are the two official languages in China?
2. What is the Canadian way of understanding the world? Canadians believe that people must respect and tolerate each other and help each other (to) keep different languages, religions and customs alive. 3. What do you think of Canada?
Language notes: 1. Canada is home to many cultures. be home to … “是……之乡/发源地” Beihai No. 5 Middle School is home to three special students. 2. Only three percent of all Canadians are from First Nations, but the people of the first Nations were there before other people came to North America.
百分数表示法: 基数词 + percent 当百分数修饰不可数名词和可数名词单数时, 三单处理 当百分数修饰可数名词复数, 复数处理
Sixty percent of the work has bee
n finished. There are nearly 7,000 students in our school. About 55% are boys.
Language notes: 这所学校百分之八十的教师是女教师。 Eighty percent of the teachers in this school ____ women are teachers. 地球表面的百分之七十以上为水所覆盖。 Over seventy percent of the surface of the earth ______ is covered with water. 3. More than half of Canadians have British or French ancestors. more than: over “多于，超过” less than: under “低于，不到” half of + 名词/代词
谓语动词必须和该短语中的代词或名词保持一致。 当代词或名词为单数或不可数时，三单处理。 当名词或代词为复数时，复数处理。
Language notes: Half of the watermelon __________(go) bad. goes Half of the students ________(be) in the classroom. are 4. The rest have come from every part of the world: Asia, Europe, Africa, Central America, South America and Australia. the rest “其余的” 如果指可数名词复数中的“其余的”，相当于the others，
He’ll work harder for the rest of his life. There are 60 students in our class. 28 are girls, the rest/others are boys. The rest of water is for him.
Language notes: 5. Though Canada has two official languages– English and French – most Canadians do not speak both.
Most Canadians speak only one language. Most Canadians speak either of the two languages. Most Canadians speak either English or French. a first language a second language a foreign language a body language 身势语言 a sign language 手势语言 the English language= English 6. Canada welcomes cultural differences in the people who live there. 加拿大人欢迎住在那里的人们的文化差异。 people 是先行词 who是关系代词, 引导一个限制性定语从句
Language notes: culture n.
7. It is important that people from different cultures can live together in one country. that people from different cultures can live together in one country是主语从句。主语从句虽可放在主句谓语动 词之前，但在大多数情况下，由it作形式主语，而把主
8. Is there a Canadian way of understanding the world? a way of doing = a way to do “……的方式/方法” It’s another way of working out the problem. = It’s another way to work out the problem.
Language notes: 9. Canadians believe that people must respect and tolerate each other and help each other (to) keep different languages, religions and customs alive. believe vt. “认为” 与 think同义 believe + 宾语 + 宾补 believe + that引导的宾语从句 I think him clever. = I think that he is clever. believe + that 从句，若从句为否定形式且主句主语为第
I don’t believe that she can sing the song in English. We don’t believe it is right, _________? is it v. “相信” believe sb. “相信某人(所说的话是真的)” believe in sb. “信任某人”
我们应该尊重别人的意见。 You should respect the ideas of others.
Fill in each blank with the proper word from the brackets:
1. Thirty percent of all the students in our school ____(be) are from the village.
2. Half of the apple _________(go) bad. goes
3. There are 54 students in our class. 25 are girls, the rest ________(be) boys. are
4. To send more students to a good school is our central ________(centre) task. 5. Canada welcomes _________(culture) differences in the cultural people who live there.
同义句转换，每空一词： 1. The others are young boys. ______ _______ are young boys. The rest 2. I can do the work. It is certain. _____ _____ ________ that I can do the work. It is certain 3. I believe that she is clever. I believe ________ ________. her clever 4. That’s a little hard to describe. That’s _____ _______ hard to describe. a bit 5. There is a little water in the glass. There is _____ _____ _______ water in the glass. a bit of 6. There are over seven hundred students in our school. There are ______ _______ seven hundred students in more than our school. 7. “Fast” is another way to say “quick”. “Fast” is another way ______ _________ “quick”. of saying
1. Both of the two books aren’t interesting. (同义句)
______ _______ book is interesting. Only one _______ ______ the books is interesting. Either of
2. She doesn’t need both a size and a feeling. (同义句)
She needs ________ a size _________ a feeling. either or
3. Neither Jim nor Jack is good at Chinese. (肯定句)
_______ Jim _______ Jack _______ good at Chinese. Both and are 4. Both of them are teachers. (否定句)
_______ Neither of them _______ ______ ___________. is a teacher 5. I don’t believe he can come to school on time. I don’t believe he can come to school on time, ___ ____? can he
汉译英, 每空一词： 1. 我们用中国人的方式了解世界。 We ___________ the world ______ a Chinese _______. understand in way 2. 北京是许多文化之乡。 Beijing is _______ ________ many cultures. home to 3. 在我们的班集体里，我们必须互相尊重，互相宽容， 互相帮助。 We must _______ each other and ________ each other respect tolerate and help each other in our class. 4. 加拿大人欢迎住在那里的人们的文化差异。 Canada welcomes ________ __________ in the people cultural differences who live there. 5. 你知道这篇文章的中心思想吗？ Do you know the _______ idea of the article?. central
Do you have friends from different ethnic groups? Have you seen some on TV? What differen
t customs do they have?
Write down your answers to these questions and read them to your group or the rest of the class.