Go for it J9
thanksgiving get-together with a bear
Thanksgiving is an American holiday. It is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November in the US. On this special day, families get together to thank God for the autumn harvest. Turkey and apple pie are harvest Thanksgiving food for every family.
When, what to do, what to eat?
How do you connect with others?
have a call
send an e-mail
write a letter
How many different kinds of letters can you think of? 1. Your father does business with others… 2. Larry writes to his friends… 3. Betty wants to ask some friends to come to her birthday party… 4. Sam wants to say thank-you to Betty for her party… 5. Mum can’t be at home when you return from school, she wants you to cook dinner for the family…
notes informal letters to friends
How is a letter different from an article? 1b List three differences.
1. Letters need addresses. Letters need greetings at 2. beginning and end. 3. Letters use informal language.
Using parts of speech
If you don?t understand a word or a phrase in English, ask yourself what part of speech it is. It might be a noun, a verb or a preposition, for example. Knowing what it is can help you understand better. And it allows you to use the new English word or phrase correctly in the future.
1. What?s wrong with Liz Smith? She can’t use her arms or legs well. 2. What is “Animal Helpers”? “Animal Helpers” is an organization set up to help disabled people. 3. What does Miss Li do for “Animal Helpers”? She donates some money to help the disabled people. 4. What does Lucky usually help Liz to do? He can understand her different instructions, for example, he can help Liz fetch things. 5. Why does Liz think “Lucky” is the good name for her dog? Because she feels very lucky to have him.
Fill in the blanks with the correct words, please pay attention to the parts of speech. Luckily 1. _________ (lucky), he found a seeing-dog for his blind friend.
2. Thank you very much for your kind ____________ (donate). donation
3. How ___________(amaze)! A snake showed him the way. amazing
4. The cat could understand different ____________(instruct). instruction
5. The trained dolphin can catch a ball _____________(easy). easily helper 6. I really need a _________(help) for my job.
Use information in the letter to make true sentences by matching the different parts.
Miss Li Liz Smith
can fetch trains
unable to move well. money to “Animal Helpers”.
animals like Lucky. things for disabled people.
be used …, cheer…up, be appreciated, set up, disabled people, help…out, run out of, fill…with
set up 1. Thomas has a lab________ by himself. 2. Most people can’t imagine how ________________ make disabled people a living. 3. He often sings songs to ________ me ________. cheer up 4. The money ______ we
ll ___________ to help the sick kids. used is 5. Your kind donation ________ greatly _____________. appreciated is 6. Everyone feels thirsty because we’ve ___________ water. run out of 7. He _________ me _______ of trouble. helped out 8. The lovely son ________ his mother ________ warm filled with feeling.
A. Which people in the world need help? How can we help them? B. What animals often help people? How do they help? C. If you are a volunteer for “Animal Helpers”, what do you want to train different kinds of animals to do? D. If you were the richest person in the world, who would you most like to help, and how?
Which people in the world need help? How can we help them?
What animals often help people? How do they help?
If you are a volunteer for “Animal Helpers”, what do you want to train different kinds of animals to do?
If you were the richest person in the world, who would you most like to help, and how?
a. Write a short reply to Liz Smith. In your letter:
1. Offer to help her more. 2. Say why you are able to help. 3. Say what you could do to help.
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ______________________________ ____________________________
Dear Liz, I was so happy to receive your letter. Thank you very much for writing to tell me about Lucky. I would really love to come and visit you one day and see how Lucky helps you. I?d also like to help you some more because I have some extra time at the moment. Perhaps I could help you at home, or do some work for ?Animal Helpers?. I?d enjoy watching them train the animals too. I?ll call them one day soon. Here is my phone number: 468-3852. Please call me so we can arrange a time for me to visit. Best wishes, Ming Li
b. Write a thank-you letter to somebody who has ever helped you.
3. fill 4. pleasure 5. blind 6. deaf 7. unable 8. cannot =can’t
9. imagine v. v.
v. n. adj. 盲的
adj. 聋的 adj.
不能 想象 关上 (门,窗等)
1. carry 2. specially
3. fetch 来
4. support 5. appreciate 6. donation
help (sb.) out at once
part of speech pronoun adverb preposition conjunction
词性 n. n. n. n. 代词 副词 介词 连词
1. I’d like to thank you for sending money to “Animal Helpers”, an organization set up to help disabled people. “Animal Helpers”动物助手,一个帮助残疾人而建
thank sb. for …为……而感谢某人 e.g. Thank you for your flowers to me. set up…引导的是一个省去关系代词 that 的定语 从句。
e.g. Thomas has a lab set up himse
2. Being blind, deaf, unable to walk, or use your hands
easily is something that most people cannot imagine. 此句中 “being…”是动名词做主语。谓语动词用单 数。 “…that most people cannot imagine”是定语从句, 修 饰 something。 3. Then one day last year, a friend of mine said that she would like to help me out. help out 意为 “使某人脱离困境”可分开使用。 e.g. Nobody helped me out when I lost my job.
4. You see, I’m only able to have a “dog-helper” because of your kind donation! 此句中的be able to 意为 “能够做……的事”, 可
时和完成时, 也不能用于其他助动词后面, 所以常
用 be able to do 来替换。 because of 是介词短语, 表原因, 后面接名词或代词 宾语。because 是连词, 词后常接从句。
It is the deepest appeal that is based on love. It is the most vital cause that is out of voluntary will. It is the noblest behavior that is devoted to helping others. The language of dedication is the most communicative language of mankind.