By the time I got outside, the bus had already left.学.科.网
Section B Period 2
What festivals are they?
Mid –Autumn Day
April Fool’s Day
Have you ever fooled others?学.科.网 Have you ever been fooled by others? Have you ever been an April Fool?
He is fooled by the bird. He is an April Fool
April Fool’s Day 愚人节
1. When is April Fool’s Day? April 1st. 2.What do people usually do on April Fool’s Day? People play jokes on each other. People fool each other. 3.“He is an April Fool.” What does it mean? It means he was fooled by others.
April Fool's Day is a traditional day to play jokes on others.
fool sb. 愚弄 play jokes on sb. 戏弄
Reading (3a: P80)
The second story about April Fool’s
Day is the most believable. I have a
similar experience. A few years ago, it was said there would be a big学.科.网 earthquake in our area. So people tried to buy as much food as possible
such as vegetables and bean oil. Suddenly things became expensive. And it was hard to buy articles for
daily use. But at last there was no
earthquake at all and foods were sold
out in shops and supermarkets.
Read the story 1. T or F.
1. Orson Welles said on a TV program
that aliens from Mars had landed on
the earth. F On a radio program 2. People said the story was a hoax. The authorities said. F
3. Many people had run away from their homes.学.科.网 T
on a radio program
what announced that aliens from Mars had landed on the earth panic set off across the country, as a result people fled from their homes truth The authorities said it was a hoax
Read the story 2.
1.Why would there be no more spaghetti? The farmers in Italy had stopped growing it.
2. What did people do when they heard the news? Many people ran to their local supermarket to buy as much as spaghetti as they could.
3. What had happened when people
realized the story was a hoax?学.科.网
All of the spaghetti across the country had been sold out.
in England announced that there would be no more spaghetti
farmers in Italy had stopped growing it It had been sold out across the country
Read the story 3. T or F.
1. A famous star invited his girlfriend T 2. He really wanted to marry his
girlfriend but she refused. girlfriend. F He didn’t really want to marry his onto his show.
3. The little joke had a very happy F The little joke didn’t have a happy ending. He lost both his girlfriend and his show. ending.
a famous TV star on April Fool’s Day
what invited his girlfriend onto his show and asked her to marry him
the girl felt thrilled and agreed, then but she was fooled by the star result He lost both his girlfriend and his show
1．Welles was so convincing that hundreds of people believed the story, and panic set off across the whole
country． Welles 是如此地让人信任，以致于 成百上千的人都相信了这个故事，进 而激起了全国性的恐慌。
（1）so …that…句型中，so后面应加 一个形容词或副词，意为 “如此……以 至于……” This book is so interesting that everyone in our class wants to read it．
He ran so fast that I couldn’t catch up with him． 他跑得那么快, 以致于我跟不上他.
（2）so that 主要用来引导目的状语
从句。其从句中的谓语动词通常和 can, may, should等情态动词连用, 而 且主句和从句之间不使用逗号, 意为 “以便, 使能够”。
They set out early so that they might arrive in time 他们早早地出发以便按时到达。 Let’s take the front seats so that we may see more clearly． 我们坐在前排吧, 以便可以看得更清楚。
（3）set off 意为“出发, 开始”。
They’ll set off on a journey
around the world．
与set有关的其他词组： <1> set about sth．开始，着手 I must set about my packing． 我必须开始收拾行装了。 <2> set sb. against sb． 使某人和某人竞争、对抗 Set yourself against her． 跟她竞争。
<3> set in 开始 The rainy season has set in． 雨季已开始了。 <4> set out 出发，启程 set sth. out 展示，陈列
They set out at dawn．
He sets out his ideas clearly in his essay． 他在这篇文章中明确地列出了他 的观点。 <5> set up 建立, 设立 The memorial will be set up． 纪念碑要建成了。
2. She was thrilled, because she really
wanted to get married．
多用于被动语态be thrilled, 表示“很
We were thrilled with joy．
（2）want在此为动词“想, 想要”, 其 后可跟名词、代词或动词不定式to do。 I want some bread and milk． 我想要些面包和牛奶。 Does Lucy wants to learn to dance? 露茜想学跳舞吗？
可以 用marry sb.。
另外，词组get married 意为“结 婚”，但这是一个非延续性动词，即 它不能跟表示一段时间的词连用。
be married 也可以用来表示“结
表示一段时间的词连用。 John is going to marry Jane. 约翰要和简结婚了。
Henry didn’t marry until he was over fifty． 亨利直到过了50岁才结婚。 When are you going to get married? 你准备什么时候结婚？ We have been married for ten years． 我们已经结婚十年了。
Writing (3b: P80)
A sample version: On the morning of April 1, Nick got up after the alarm went off. His brother told him to
hurry up or he would be late for school. So Nick took a shower quickly, got dressed in a
hurry and rushed to school. When he
got to school, he found there was
nobody at school. So he began to study in the classroom. An hour later, other kids showed up. Nick realized his brother had fooled him.
Writing (3c: P80)
A sample joke: The story happened during my first few days in a new school. My friend Jim told me that the woman standing in front of our classroom was our new English teacher.
So I walked toward her and said hello to her. However, she looked puzzled and said nothing to me. Later I realized that Jim had played
a joke on me.
empty, convincing, embarrassed, exhausted, embarrassing 1. The workers went on working for 12 hours. So they were exhausted _________. 2. This bottle is empty Please give me a _____. full one.
3. I was embarrassed when I knocked ___________ the cup of coffee over my friend. 4. The famous actor was so convincing _________ that hundreds of young men believed what he said. 5. It’s ____________ to be caught embarrassing
spitting in public.
1. Some people ran away from their homes because of floods. Some people fled ____ their homes ___ from because of floods.
2. You should speak English as much as you can after class. as much You should speak English ________ _________ as possible after class. 3. That young man wants to travel across the country. That young man wants to travel all over ______ the country.
4. If you meet with anything, let me know. If anything __________ you, let me happens to know. 5. Why didn’t your mother come to Ben’s birthday party last night? Why didn’t your mother show __ at ____ up Ben’s birthday party last night?
Tell some jokes on April
Fool’s Day from you.
Thanks for listening!