Many of you are studying English and you may be 1 why it is so difficult to learn. It's actually not too difficult to learn 2 you know some 3 about the language and culture that it reflects (反映). Perhaps the first thing you need to know about English is that it is made up of several other languages 4 French, German, Latin, Greek and AngloSaxon. In addition, there are words 5 Spanish in English and many American Indian words and names, even some Chinese and Japanese 6 can be found in the English language. This borrowing of words 7 other languages is 8 of the key reasons 9 some of the difficulties that people meet with (遇到) 10 they are learning English.
1. A. knowing B. wondering C. earning D. hearing
2. A. but B. and C. if D. unless
3. A. news B. facts C. truth D. information
4. A. such as B. the same as C. so as D. for example
5. A. in B. off C. of D. from
6. A. words B. culture C. language D. letters
7. A. for B. to C. from D. out
8. A. that B. something C. one D. this
9. A. why B. if C. what D. for
10. A. when B. before C. after D. while
3. D。some information 为“一些语言信息”。information是不可数名词。
4. A。对组成部分的列举用such as。
5. D。from表示来“自于??”, “选自于??”。
6. A。句意理解题.中文和日文是English and Japanese words。
8. C 。one of 表示??之一。
Mr. Jackson was on duty that evening. It was 1 and there was
thick snow outside. So 2 people came to the hospital and he could __3 on the bed in his office and soon he went to 4 . Suddenly someone knocked at the door and it woke him up. He got up and 5 the door. In went an old man. His wife was 6 and he asked the doctor to go to look her over.
It was still 7 when Mr. Jackson came out. The old farmer
walked fast and he hardly 8 him. It was difficult for him to walk on the snowy roads. When he got to the man’s house, he was very 9 .
He looked over the old woman and found she had a bad cold. He gave her some 10 and began to return to the hospital. The wind was blowing strongly and he had to walk 11 so that he wouldn’t fall over. And when he was near the hospital, he had a 12 in his foot.
He walked slowly and at last he went into his office, He 13 his shoe and looked at his foot. There was much blood (血) on it. He 14 he stepped on (踩) a broken bottle. He looked at his shoe carefully and said to 15 , “Luckily, it didn’t prick(扎)my shoe!”
1. A. hot B. warm C. cool D. cold
2. A. few B. a few C. some D. many
3. A. play B. dance C. lie down D. sit down
4. A. work B. sleep C. study D. write
5. A. closed B. mended C. opened D. broke
6. A. healthy B. strong C. weak D. ill
7. A. snowing B. shining C. raining D. singing
8. A. got on well with B. caught up with
C. looked after D. listened to
9. A. sorry B. afraid C. strange D. tired
10. A. medicine B. food C. water D. sugar
11. A. quickly B. carefully C. noisily D. heavily
12. A. hole B. sock C. pain D. pill
13. A. took off B. put up C. burnt D. sold
14. A. forgot B. remembered C. understood D. was told
15. A. him B. her C. them D. himself
4. B。go to sleep 表示“睡着”。
8. B。catch up意思是“跟上，赶上”。
15. D。这里别无他人，故他是 say to himself。
A few minutes before six o’clock, Mr. Smith began to leave. He was about
to start the car when a gunman (持枪者) 1 up from the back seat. He 2 a gun to Mr. Smith’s head,“Drive me to Paris!” he shouted.
“All right”Mr. Smith answered. He started the engine (发动机), pulled away from the side of the street and 3 down. Being 81 years old, he knew he could not 4 the gunman. He knew he needed help. Where were the police? As he drove 5 each crossing, he looked up and down the side streets, hoping to meet a police car. But he could see 6 .“Just my luck,” he thought. “If I was 7 too fast, there would be a police car on every corner.”
8 he pushed his foot down on the accelerator, and the car ran 9 faster. “What are you doing?” shouted the gunman.“Keeping off the police.” Mr. Smith answered.“I thought I saw a police car 10 there.”
He ran red lights, drove wrong on one-way streets. On the two-way streets, he drove on the wrong 11 of the road. Not one of the policemen saw him. Again Mr. Smith’s plan was not working. He had to try a 12 plan. He 13 a corner and saw the police station in front. Then he drove his car as fast as he could towards the police gate. The car hit a police motorbike down and stopped. Mr. Smith shouted,“Help! Help!”Then he 14 back to grab the man’s gun. At the same time the policemen heard the 15 and quickly caught the gunman.
1. A. woke B. sat C. stood D. jumped
2. A. brought B. pointed C. held D. carried
3. A. drove B. left C. took D. pushed
4. A. fight B. lift C. keep D. hit
5. A. around B. over C. through D. towards
6. A. somebody B. anybody C. everybody D. nobody
7. A. driving B. moving C. getting D. walking
8. A. Slowly B. Suddenly C. Quietly D. Carefully
9. A. more B. much C. very D. quite
10. A. front B. near C. below D. back
11. A. street B. way C. side D. corner
12. A. new B. safe C. hard D. nice
13. A. found B. turned C. stopped at D. arrived at
14. A. got B. looked C. turned D. came
15. A. sound B. man C. voice D. noise
Ｄ。本题考查这四个词组的意思和用法，wake up 是“醒来”的意思,sit up是“熬夜”的意思，stand up是“站起”的意思，jump up是“跳出来”，“突然出现”的意思。根据句意，可知选D比较合适。
Ａ。根据句意，Mr. Smith在一计不成后又生一计, 选A。
Ｃ。本题的难点在于look back to 和turn back to 的用法，两个词组的意思分别是“回头”和“转身”的意思，再联系下文，他显然是转身想抓住歹徒, 故选C。
It is a thousand kilometers across that desert (沙漠). The road is 1 nearly all the way. Sometimes there is a deep sand. A driver must then put his foot down hard and drive through! There are three small 2 along the way. Vick reached the first place at ten o'clock p. m. He had his 3 in a little restaurant (餐馆) there. It was a warm 4 in August. Vick wanted to 5 through the night. The nights are warm enough in August, but the days are very, very 6 .
He left the restaurant at 11: 30 and drove over 7 hours. There wasn't
a moon, but the 8 were wonderful. There was nothing else on die road. Vick thought, "It's an empty desert. No tree, house, man. " He could 9 the endless, white road in the car's headlights(车灯). A million stars looked down on him.
It was two o'clock in the morning. Vick stopped the car. He was two hundred kilometers from the 10 town: "I'll light the cooker( 炊具)," he thought, "and make some tea. " He got out of the car.
He heard some sounds, ten or fifteen meters 11 . He could not see anything in the darkness(黑暗). A man said, "Good morning. It's a 12 morning, isn't it?" The man came forward (向前),out of the darkness; out of the desert. Vick did not move. The man said, "You are going to 13 some tea, aren't you? I often get a cup of tea at this time. It’s two o’clock. Cars always 14 near here at this time. Sometimes I get a 15 . Now listen, and I'll tell you a story. Then you'll give me?"
1. A. short B. good C. busy D. well
2. A. cities B. hotels C. villages D. towns
3. A. tea B. supper C. lunch D. breakfast
4. A. night B. day C. season D. month
5. A. live B. stay C. drive D. walk
6. A. cold B. cool C. hot D. warm
7. A. two B. seven C. ten D. fourteen
8. A. trees B. animals C. stars D. clouds
9. A. see B. ride C. pass D. find
10. A. home B. other C. next D. last
11. A. about B. from C. far D. away
12. A. noisy B. lovely C. sleepy D. sunny
13. A. eat B. make C. cook D. drink
14. A. leave B. stop C. meet D. run
15. A. bread B. car C. rest D. meal
D。fifteen meters away 距??远。
B。make tea 泡茶。
A thirsty bee went to a river to drink. As it was drinking, the bee was 1 away by the running water.
A kind bird saw that the bee was in 2 . It picked 3 off a tree and threw 4 into the water in front of the bee. The bee climbed 5 the leaf, and it was brought 6 to the land. The bee thanked the bee a lot and then 7 .
Not 8 that, the bird was sitting 9 the branch of a tree. It did not know that a man was shooting at it. But the bee saw 10 the man was doing. So it flew into the man’s 11 and stung(刺蜇) him. The 12 in the man’s eye was so great that he was not able to 13 the bird, and the bird flew away.
14 the bee, 15 life had been saved by the bird, was able to save the life of the bird.
1. A. flying B. brought C. flowing D. carried
2. A. trouble B. a trouble C. danger D. dangerous
3. A. a leaf B. leaves C. leaf D. the leaf
4. A. them B. one C. it D. this
5. A. onto B. on C. to D. at
6. A. safety B. safe C. saved D. safely
7. A. climbed away B. ran away C. flew away D. got away
8. A. long before B. before long C. after long D. long after
9. A. in B. on C. at D. by
10. A. that B. what C. which D. when
11. A. eye B. nose C. mouth D. ear
12. A. pain B. bee C. bird D. earache
13. A. shoot B. shoot at C. shoot to D. shoot on
14. A. In the way B. On the way C. In a way D. In this way
15. A. her B. the C. whose D. its
2. C。in danger的意思为“处于危险之中”的意思。根据下文小鸟设法救蜜蜂的过程可以推断蜜蜂处于危险之中。
3. A。一方面根据句意，从树上摘下的可能是“树叶（leaf）”,另一方面从下文The bee climbed __5__ the leaf，可以断定应选leaf。
5. A。本题考介词的正确用法，climb onto是“爬到??上面”的意思，故选A。
13. A。shoot是“射中、射死”的意思；shoot at是“瞄准、朝??射击”的意思，故选A。
14. D。In the way是“挡路”的意思；On the way是“在路上”的意思；In a way是“从某种程度上”的意思；In this way是“以这种方式”的意思。
I’m glad it’s Sunday again. I can stay in bed 1 I like, drinking tea and 2 those thick newspapers that are brought 3 the newsboy through the letterbox at 8:30. In this way, I can catch up with all the 4 I haven’t got time to read during my work time.
When I 5 the papers, I then prepare my bath. The Sunday morning bath is 6 of the week. There's no need to hurry because there’s no bus to 7 and my friends are told not to call me up before noon on Sundays, so there is no danger of 8 by the telephone.
9 spend the afternoon after lunch is always a bit of problem. In summer I can go to the park and sit in a chair 10 boys playing football, while in winter I sit in front of the fire and 11 when reading a book, sometimes I turn on the television and sleep through an old film.
Then there’s the 12 ahead of me. Perhaps I’ll call on some friends or go to the cinema 13 a new film I want to see or to town for a concert. Oh, there are 14 pleasant ways of passing Sunday evenings. The only sad thing is that Monday morning is getting 15 .
1. A. as long as B. as soon as C. as well as D. as much as
2. A. read B. reading C. to read D. am reading
3. A. from B. with C. and D. by
4. A. things B. books C. information D. knowledge
5. A. am reading B. have read C. had read D. read
6. A. the much pleasant B. the more pleasant
C. the most pleasant D. the very pleasant
7. A. sit B. catch C. get in D. take
8. A. trouble B. being troubled
C. troubling D. to be troubled
9. A. What to B. How to C. When to D. Where to
10. A. looking B. seeing C. looking at D. watching
11. A. fall asleep B. go to sleep C. go to bed D.get to sleep
12. A. supper B. friend C. evening D. work
13. A. whether there’s B. if there will be
C. when there has D. if there will be
14. A. so many B. such many C. a lot D. quite few
15. A. busier B. longer C. near D. away
1. A。as long as表示时间上的要多长有多长 。
3. D。newsboy是动作的执行者，所以用by 。
7. B。catch a bus 赶车。
8. B。被打扰，所以用被动式，of 后接动名词形式作宾语。
10. D。watch sb. doing sth.。seeing也很具有迷惑性，但观看某人踢足球还是应当用watch。
14. B。 固定短语so?that,，such?that 另，many， much， little， few前用 so而不用such。
Policemen were called by a shop in Southland early on Christmas morning. When they 1 they found two burglars (偷盗者) were kept in a lift with a heavy box of money. The two men were in their twenties. They 2 an office in the 3 and took the money box and ran 4 the lift. They did not see the sign on the door saying that it 5 no more than two people.
“They were kept between the 6 because they 7 a heavy box,” the police officer said, “they 8 there for six hours, 9 on what they hoped to be their Christmas 10 . They were doing this at a time when people were at 11 for the Christmas with their families. It was a very special 12 when the policemen 13 the door and they walked 14 , holding out arms. They said they had never been 15 pleased to see policemen. The policemen said they were pleased to see them too.
1. A. reached B. got C. arrived D. were
2. A. broke up B. broke out C. broke D. broke into
3. A. street B. station C. shop D. box
4. A. out B. into C. inside D. off
5. A. runs B. drives C. makes D. carries
6. A. earth B. ground C. floors D. floor
7. A. lifted B. took C. brought D. made
8. A. were kept B. kept C. were taken D. were hit
9. A. sits B. sit C. sat D. sitting
10. A. box B. tree C. present D. money
11. A. work B. home C. ease D. place
12. A. happy B. hurry C. moment D. worry
13. A. opened B. closed C. turned D. shut
14. A. away B. off C. in D. out
15. A. much B. very C. too D. so
B。ran into the lift 跑进电梯。
Debbie got up early last Saturday morning. She wanted 1 in Green Park with some of her friends. She was very 2 about it. 3 she was ready, she got on her bike and 4 for the park -- it was on the other side of the town. Suddenly, as she was riding fast, she 5 sirens (警
笛). The sound of the sirens was getting 6 , so Debbie looked 7 her to see what was happening. As a result (结果), she fell off her bike and lay in the middle of the road. Luckily, Debbie wasn’t hurt, 8 a car hit her bike. After the car 9 , two men got out and started running. 10 , a police car stopped next to the same car and three policemen got 11 and started running 12 the two men. One of the policemen shouted, “Stop the thieves (贼)!”
13 a policeman came to see Debbie. He thanked her because, in a 14 , she had helped them 15 .
1. A. goes to skate B. go skating C. going to skate D. to go skating
2. A. happy B. angry C. sad D. worried
3. A. While B. As soon as C. If D. As quickly as
4. A. carried B. left C. went D. leaving
5. A. heard B. listened to C. found D. saw
6. A. close and close B. closer and closer
C. big and big D. bigger and bigger
7. A. after B. in front of C. behind D. before
8. A. because B. so C. but D. and
9. A. fell over B. passed away
C. turned back D. stopped
10. A .Few minutes later B. Just then
C. After an hour D. Very fast
11. A. in B. of C. out of D. out
12. A. after B. before C. in front of D. behind
13. A. In a few days B. Sometimes
C. Some time later D. At the same time
14. A. word B. shop C. moment D. way
15. A. get out of the car B. run after the two men
C. catch the thieves D. shout at the thieves
D。want to do sth 固定短语。
B。她一准备好，就骑上自行车准备出发。As soon as “一??就??”。 B。leave for 离开去某地。D选项形式不对。
B。警笛越来越近。Bigger and bigger很容易被当选，但形容声音最好用louder and louder。
D。get out 出来。如果要选C得加一个宾语the car 。
A。run after 追赶，跟在后面跑。
D。in a way 固定短语，“在某种程度上”。 In a word “总而言之”；in a shop “在商店里”；in a moment 一会儿。
The water and the land are thought part of the earth surface (表面). The air is 1 thought a kind of blanket (毯子) 2 the earth. But it is 3 than that. Maybe you have been in a cave (洞穴) 4 in the earth. Did you think about the air that was in the cave? The land has some air mixed in it. Air is even mixed 5 the water in the sea. These examples show that some air is 6 the earth’s surface as well as above
Men once 7 that there were four basic things from which everything else was made. They 8 these things-earth, fire, air and water the four elements (元素). 9 man made more observations, they 10 that fire was not an element. 11 they concluded (得出结论) that land, air and water were not elements, 12 .
13 , there are more than 100 elements from which scientists believe all things are made. 14 land, air and water are not elements, they are three main parts of man’s environment (环境). You will 15 more about them as you study the earth.
1. A. usually B. seldom C. never D. sometimes
2. A. above B. around C. across D. among
3. A. better B. more C. less D. worse
4. A wide B. high C. long D. deep
5. A. at B. in C. with D. to
6. A. below B. before C. between D. beside
7. A. found B. thought C. knew D. understood
8. A. called B. told C. name D. said
9. A. That B. For C. As D. So
10. A. believe B. planned C. decided D. want
11. A. End B. At last C. Hardly D. Nearly
12. A. too B. neither C. also D. either
13. A. True B. Read C. In fact D. Correctly
14. A. When B. As C. Since D. Though
15. A. exam B. study C. exercise D. know
C。固定短语be mixed with。
A。他们“称之为??”told , said 都不准确，而name的时态不对。 C。这里的as有“随着”的意思，相当于when 。
C。 无论是语法结构还是意思只有In fact对。
Overhead bridges can be seen in many parts of Singapore, in the place where traffic is very heavy and crossing the road is 1 .
These bridges can make people 2 roads safely. Overhead bridges are used in very much the same way as zebra crossings.
They are more efficient (效率高的), 3 less convenient (方便的) because people have to climb up a lot of steps. This is inconvenient to the old. When people 4 an overhead bridge, they do not hold up (阻挡) traffic. But when they cross a 5 road using a zebra crossing, traffic is held up. This is 6 the government (政府) has 7 many overhead bridges to help people and 8 traffic moving at the same time.
The government of Singapore has 9 a lot of money building these bridges. For their own safety, people should be given hope to use them 10 rushing across the road. Old people may find it a little 11 climbing up and down the steps, but it is still much safer than walking across the road 12 all the moving traffic.
Overhead bridges are very useful. People, 13 old and young, should 14 use them. This will stop accidents 15 happening.
1. A. noisy B. not safe C. crowded D. not busy
2. A. cross B. crossing C. across D. through
3. A. though B. or C. if D. till
4. A. pass B. use C. visit D. build
5. A. wide B. narrow C. busy D. free
6. A. what B. why C. when D. where
7. A. made B. let C. built D. asked
8. A. see B. keep C. find D. feel
9. A. used B. made C. spent D. borrowed
10. A. full of B. fond of C. in spite of D. instead of
11. A. difficult B. different C. worried D. exited
12. A. past B. along C. about D. with
13. A. both B. either C. neither D. not
14. A. almost B. always C. nearly D. hardly
15. A. in B. at C. with D. from
A。make sb. do sth. 其它词性不对。
A。“效率高”与“不方便”意思上相反,故用though，有“尽管”的意思。 B。 pass与bridge无法搭配,而visit ,build与bridge搭配意思不符。 C。繁忙的马路。
C。keep ? doing 意为“让??一直干某事” 。
B。spend?(in) doing 意为“在建立交桥上花费了大量的财力”。
D。建立交桥一方面有利安全，另一方面帮助人们。所以人们应该使用它们，而不是横穿马路(有如在建立交桥之前)。instead of “而不是”，“代替”。 A。 老人上下立交桥当然是有点困难，difficult形容词作宾语补足语。
D。固定短语stop sb. from doing，本句意为“阻止交通事故的发生。