1. My sister ___ (work) in the post office since she _____(leave) school 3 years ago.
2. There __________________(be) a talk next Tuesday.
3. He _____________(not go ) to Nanjing, has he?
4. Can you tell me when they _________(have ) a swim tomorrow?
5. I didn’t know why they _______(come ) so late.
6. He ________(join) the Party In 1991. He______(be) a Party member for 9 years.
7. When the class was over, the students ______(stop)_______(have) a rest happily.
8._________you ever ___________(tell) him all that before?
9.The Great Green Wall ______(stop ) the wind form ______ (blow) the earth away.
10.I think you’d better ______(not go) out alone at night.
11. Please tell your sister ____________(come) here quickly.
12. Listen, the fridge ______________(make) a strange noise.
13. I_______(write) two hundred English words until now.
14. If I have enough money. I_________(buy ) a house.
15. In the picture, you can see Edison ___(put ) a mirror and some lights on the table.
16. The old man asked the boy __________(not forget )to drop his shoes quietly.
17. What ____they ______at nine yesterday evening? (do)
18. The woman took out fifty yuan ______(pay) for the book.
19. She found it difficult _________(get ) to sleep.
20. She hates ____________(wear) blue coats.
21. Be quick! Mother __________ (wait) for us.
22. My pen is broken. I want__________ (buy) a new one.
23. I think __________ (sit) in the sun is a good thing in winter.
24. Qiao Hai is better than I am at __________ (climb).
25. Dolphins can stand up and__________ (walk) on the water.
26. Aunt Li's job is __________ (look) after the children.
27. Mr. Sun often goes__________ (fish) in the lake in summer.
28. I don't think it's good for animals __________ (stay) in cages.
29. But they have some problems __________ (get) there.
30. It takes me an hour __________ (do) my homework every day.
31．On Saturday Mrs. Brown usually ____________（wash）some clothes.
32．Look! The old man ____________（get）on the bus.
33．We ____________（visit）that factory next week.
34．Please ____________（look）after the little boy. Don’t let him ____________ （cry）.
35．—Why ____________ you ____________（not come）last time? —
Because I ____________（be）ill.
36. The weather in England never _______ (get) too hot or too cold.
37. –Could you ________(wash) the clothes, Linda?
38. -I’m afraid I can’t. I have too much homework_________(do)now.39. He _______(visit)Shanghai next week.40. Laura ______(take) part in the speech contest last Friday and she_______(win)the second prize.
41. Please tell your sister ______________(come) here quickly.
42. Listen, the fridge ______________(make) a strange noise.
43. She hates ____________(wear) blue coats.
44. Can you tell me when they ____________(have ) a swim tomorrow?
45. I didn’t know why they _____________(come ) so late.
46. There __________________(be) a talk next Tuesday.
47.The twins ________at Ann’s home yesterday evening .（be）
48.Kate _______ ill yesterday, she ________ better now. (be)
49.Tomorrow we _______ Unit 8. (learn)
50.Thank you _______ me. (help)
51.What are you doing? I ________ for my pen. (look)
52.I have a lot of homework ________ . (do)
53.At first I ______ English hard, but I understand some. (find)
54. Li Lei ____________ (join) the League in 2001.
55. --- Where is your science book? ----Sorry, I__________ (leave) it in the classroom.
56. Do you like ____________ (watch) TV?
57. Can you tell me when they ____________(have ) a swim tomorrow?
58. She always makes me __________________ (do) the housework.
59. Look! A little girl is ___________________ (swim) in the river(河).
60. I _______________________ (find) my ruler in my desk five minutes ago.
61 .My mother ________ ___________(buy) vegetables on her way home every day.
62. Look! The boy _________________ (put) on his sweater by himself.
1. —Must he come to sign this paper himself?
—Yes, he _______. (2006年广东省高考题)
A. need B. must
C. may D. will B
2. — I think I’ll give Bob a ring.
—You ______. You haven’t been in touch with him for ages.（06年江苏省高考题）
A. will B. may
C. have to D. should D
3. — Is Jack on duty today?
—It _______ be him. It’s his turn tomorrow.（2006年四川省高考题）
A. mustn’t B. won’t
C. can’t D. needn’t C
4. If it were not for the fact that she _______ sing, I would invite her to the party.（2006年福建省高考题）
A. couldn’t B. shouldn’t
C. can’t D. might not C
5. There's no light on ?C they_______ be at home.（2006年全国I高考题）
A. can't B. mustn't
C. needn't D. shouldn't A
6. —May I smoke here?
—If you _______, choose a seat in the smoking section.（2006年山东省高考题）
A. should B. could
C. may D. must D
7. You know he is not going to let us leave early if we _______ get the work done. (2006年上海春季高考题)
A. can't B. may not
C. shouldn't D. mustn't A
8. —What’s the name?
—Khulaifi. _______ I spell that for you? (2006年北京高考题)
A. shall B. would
C. can D. might A
9. He _______ have completed his work; otherwise, he wouldn’t be enjoying himself by the seaside. (2005年北京高考题)
A. should B. must
C. wouldn’t D. can’t B
10. —Why didn’t you attend the lecture yesterday? —I didn’t think that we _______ on Sundays.
A. should B. ought to have
C. shouldn’t have D. will have to A
11. I was on the highway when this car went past followed by a police car. They _______ at least 150 kilometers an hour. (2005年重庆高考题)
A. should have been doing B. must have been doing
C. could have done D. would have done B
12. —I hear you have written a novel.
—Yes, the book _______ be out in a month or also. (2006年安徽模拟题)
A. can B. dare
C. should D. need C
13. On Sundays when I was a child, Father and I _______ get up early and go fishing.
A. could B. would
C. might D. should B
14. —I’ve taken someone else’s green sweater by mistake. —It ______ Harry’s. He always wears green. (2005年广东省高考题)
A. could be B. will be
C. mustn’t be D. has to be A
15. I _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened.
A. shouldn’t B. couldn’t
C. mustn’t D. needn’t B
1. Some aspects of a pilot’s job _______ be boring, and pilots often _______ work at inconvenient hours.（2006年湖南省高考题）
A. can; have to B. may; can
C. have to; may D. ought to; must A
2. We _______ have proved great adventurers, but we have done the greatest march ever made in the past ten years.（2006年天津高考题）
A. needn’t B. may not
C. shouldn’t D. mustn’t B
3. —Could I have a word with you, mum?
—Oh dear, if you _______. (2006年浙江省高考题)
A. can B. must
C. may D. should B
4. —Mr. Gordon asked me to remind you of the meeting this afternoon. Don't you forget it!
—OK, I_______. (2006年重庆高考题)
A. won’t B. don’t
C. will D. do A
5. We hope that as many people as possible _______ join us for the picnic tomorrow. (2006年河北、贵州高考题)
A. need B. must
C. should D. can D
6. —The women biologist stayed in Africa studying wild animals for 13 years before she returned.
—Oh, dear! She _______ a lot of difficulties! (2005年江苏省高考题)
A. may go through B. might go through
C. ought to have gone through
D. must have gone through D
7. Helen _______ go on the trip with us, but she isn’t quite sure yet. (2005年安徽省高考题)
A. shall B. must
C. may D. can C
8. Tom, you _______ leave all your clothes on the floor like this! (2005年全国I高考题)
A. wouldn’t B. mustn’t
C. needn’t D. may not B
9. There _______ be any difficulty about passing the road test since you have practiced a lot in the driving school. (2005年上海高考题)
A. mustn’t B. shan’t
C. shouldn’t D. needn’t C
10. The World Wide Web is sometimes jokingly called the World Wide Wait because it _______ be very slow. (2005年浙江省高考题)
A. should B. must
C. will D. can D
11. —Lucy doesn’t mind lending you her dictionary.
—She _______. I’ve already borrowed one. (2005年湖南省高考题)
A. can’t B. mustn’t
C. needn’t D. shouldn’t C
12. —Do you know where David is? I couldn’t find him anywhere.
—Well. He _______ have gone far—his coat’s still here. (2005年湖北省高考题)
A. shouldn’t B. mustn’t
C. can’t D. wouldn’t C
13. It has been announced that all the students _______ put on masks before going to school in case they are infected with SARS virus. (2006年江西模拟题)
A. shall B. will
C. need D. may A
14. —I’m thinking of losing weight these days.
—Oh, you _______ be out of your mind. You’re 50 kilograms at the most.
A. will B. should
C. may D. must D
15. —Are you in a hurry?
—No, in fact, I’ve got plenty of time. I _______ wait. (2006年湖南模拟题)
A. must B. can
C. may D. should B
1) You____ all those clothes! We have a washing machine to do that sort of thing
A) needn't have washed B) shouldn't have washed
C) must not have washed D) can not have washed
2) John's score on the test is the highest in the class; he____ last night.
A) should study B) should have studied
C) must have studied D) must have to study
3) The room is in a terrible mess; it ____cleaned. (CET-4, 1996,6)
A) can't have been B) shouldn't have been
C) mustn't have been D) wouldn't have been
4) Nobody knows how people first came to these islands. They ____ from South America on rafts.
A) must have sailed B) can sail
C) might have sailed D) should have sailed
5) Mary was not in her bedroom yesterday afternoon. She ____ in her classroom.
A) should have been B) must have been C) must be
D) should be
6) Bob said he was going to join our club but he didn't. He ____ his mind.
A) can't have changed B) wouldn't have changed
C) must have changed D) shouldn't have changed
7) You____ to town to see the film yesterday. It will be on TV tonight.
A) needn't go B) had better not go
C) should not go D) needn't have gone
8) We____ the letter yesterday, but it didn't arrive.
A) must receive B) ought to receive
C) must have received D) ought to have received
9) With all the work on hand, he____ to the cinema last night.
A) mustn't go B) shouldn't have gone
C) could not go D) couldn't have gone
10) Eve was late for class again. She ____earlier.
A) should get up B) must get up
C) need to get up D) should have got up
11) I am feeling sick. I____ so much chocolate.
A) needn't have eaten B) couldn't have eaten
C) mustn't have eaten D) shouldn't have eaten
12) I didn't send out my application form last week, but I ____.
A) had B) would do
C) should have D) might have to
13) Walking alone in the deserted village, John was scared. He thought he____ Tom to go with him.
A) might have asked B) should asked
C) must have asked D) should have asked
14) When I got to the cinema, the film had already started; I____ there earlier.
A) ought to get B) ought to have got
C) must have got D) must get
15) The road was muddy. It____ last night.
A) must rained B) must have rained
C) must be rained D) could have rained
16) She can speak quite fluent English. She____.
A) must been in the U.S.A. for some time
B) must have been in the U.S.A. for some time
C) should have been in the U.S.A. for some time
D) May be in the U.S.A. for some time
17) You should bear in mind that he is not so strong as he____.
A) was used to be B) used to be C) was used to
D) use to
18)“We didn't see him at the exhibition yesterday.” “He ___it.”
A) mustn't visit B) can't have visited
C) should have gone to see D) may see
19) Mary ____my letter, otherwise she would have replied before now.
A) should have received B) has received
C) Couldn't have received D) ought to have received
20) I ____ you a valuable present for your birthday, but I was short of money.
A) would have liked to give B) liked to give
C) have liked to give D) would like to give
21)“Where ____ my umbrella?” “Somebody ____ it away by mistake.”
A) is, must have taken B) is, must take
C) have been, must take D) is, takes
22) What ____ would happen if the director knew you felt that way?
A) will you suppose B) you suppose
C) do you suppose D) you would suppose
23) Two eyes ____see more than one.
A) can B) may C) will D) should
24) ____ you continue in your efforts and achieve new and greater successes.
A) Would B) Will C) May D) Should
25) We ought to help each other in our work, ____?
A) oughtn't we B) should we C) shouldn't we
D) ought to we
26) Tom ____ better than to ask Dick for help.
A) shall know B) shouldn't know
C) has known D) should have known
27) You ____ your tooth pulled out before it rot completely.
A) had better got B) had to get better
C) had better to get D) had better get
28) When we got to the cinema, the film hasn't started yet, so we ____.
A) needn't hurry B) didn't need hurry
C) needn't to hurry D) needn't have hurried
29) It was really very dangerous; you ____ him seriously.
A) might have injured B) could injure
C) should have injured D) must injure
30) As he had heart attack, he was told that he ____ continue the work.
A) needn't B) may not C) mustn't D) can't
31) An Englishman who ____not speak Italian was once traveling in Italy.
A) must B) could C) may D) might
32) I ____like to make a suggestion.
A) could B) would C) must D) might
33) I know things are hard with you, but you ____try to get over the difficulties.
A) can B) may C) must D) ought
34) I can't find the recorder in the room. It ____ by somebody.
A) may have been taken away B) may leave
C) may take away D) must have taken away
35) He ____the 9:20 train because he didn't leave home till 9:25.
A) can reach B) could catch
C) may not catch D) couldn't have caught
36．I thought you_______1ike something to read，so I have brought you some books．
37．There was plenty of time．She _______．
A．mustn’t have hurried B．couldn’t have hurried
C．must not hurry D．needn’t have hurried
38．The plant is dead．I_______it more water．
A．Will give B．would have given
C．must give D．should have given
39．You_______return the book now．You can keep it till next week if you like．
A．can’t B．mustn’t C．needn’t D．may not
40．Tom ought not to_______me your secret，but he meant no harm．
A．have told B．tell C．be telling D．having told
41．He _______you more help，even though he was very busy．
A．might have given B．might give C．may have given D．may give
42．He _______at the meeting this morning．He was in hospital at the time．
A．couldn’t have spoken B．mustn’t have spoken
C．shouldn’t have spoken D．needn’t have spoken
43．He must be in the classroom，_______he?
A．mustn’t B．can’t C．isn’t D．can
44．—You were driving at 100 km an hour，sir．
—But officer，I _______．My car can’t go more than 80．
A．may not have been B．couldn’t have been
C．wouldn’t have been D．needn’t have been
45．—Did you visit the famous museum?
—No．We _______it，but we spent too much time shopping．
A．could have visited B．must have visit
C．can’t have visited D．shouldn’t have visited
46．—When can I come for the photos? I need them tomorrow afternoon．
—They _______be ready by 12：00．
A．can B．should C．might D．need
47．You _______to the meeting this afternoon if you have something important to do．
A．needn’t to come B．don’t need come
C．don’t need coming D．needn’t come
48．Put on more clothes．You _______be feeling cold with only a shirt on．
A．can B．could C．would D．must
49．—There were already five people in the car but they managed to take me as well．
—It_______a comfortable journey．
A．can’t be B．shouldn’t be
C．mustn’t have been D．couldn’t have been
50．I think all drivers _______seat belts．
A．should wear B．had better wear C．can wear
D．have to wear
51．—Don’t forget to come to my birthday party tomorrow． — _______.
A．I don’t B．1 won’t C．I can’t D．I haven’t
52．I to1d Sally how to get here，but perhaps I _______it out for her．
A．had to write B．must have written C．should have written D．ought to write
53．Peter _______come with us tonight，but he isn’t very sure yet.
A．must B．may C．can D．will
54．A computer_______think for itself；it must be told what to do．
A．can’t B．couldn’t C．need D．would
55．Jenny_______have kept her word．I wonder why she changed her mind．
A．must B．should C．need D．would