Do you want to watch a game show? Section B
1a What do you think of these TV shows
and movies? Choose words from the box
and write them under the pictures.
What do you think of the ….
soap opera enjoyable _________
sports show exciting —————
What do you think of the ….
boring wonderful serious ________ _________ _____
What do you think of the ….
enjoyable meaningless __________ __________
1b Listen and circle the description words you hear in the box in 1a. educational relaxing serious meaningless wonderful enjoyable
1c Listen again. Write down the words John and Mary use to describe the TV shows or movies.
John Action movies exciting
meaningless relaxing relaxing wonderful
Scary movie Game shows
boring boring enjoyable
1d Tell your partner what John and Mary like to watch and why. Then tell your partner what you like to watch and why.
John wants to watch talk shows
because they’re enjoyable. Ilike
to watch action movies because they’re exciting.
2a Discuss the following questions with a partner.
1.Do you like to watch cartoons?
2.What is your favorite cartoon?
3.Why do you like it?
2b Read the passage and complete the time line on the next page.
When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. But one very famous symbol in American culture is a cartoon. We all know and love the black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Mouse. Over 80 years ago, he first appeared in the cartoon Steamboat Willie.
When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. The man behind Mickey was Walt Disney. He
became very rich and successful. In the
1930s, he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Some people might ask how this
cartoon animal became so popular.
One of the main reasons is that Mickey
was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. In his early
films, Mickey was unlucky and had
many problems such as losing his
house or girlfriend, Minnie.
However, he was always ready to try his best. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win. Most of them wanted to be like Mickey.
On November 18, 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the
Hollywood Walk of Fame. Today’s cartoons
are usually not so simple as little Mickey
Mouse, but everyone still knows and loves
him. Who has a pair of ears more famous than Mickey’s?
Steamboat Willie came out in New York
he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Over 80 years ago
November 18, 1978
2c Read the passage again and fill in the facts about Mickey.
Mickey Mouse What
does he look like?
A black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey
Who created him?
What was his first cartoon?
Walt Disney Steamboat Willie
Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger.
Who is his girlfriend?
Why is he popular?
2d Read the passage again and
discuss the questions with a partner. 1. What is Mickey Mouse a symbol
of? What cartoon character is a
symbol of Chinese culture? American culture. Ne Zha.
2. Do you think Walt Disney is a smart
man? Why or why not? Do you want to be like him? Yes , I think so . Because his cartoon is famous all over the world. Yes ,I do.
3. Why did people want to be like Mickey? Do you want to be like Mickey? Why or why not?
Because it is like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. Yes , I do. Because I want to try my best to live.
4. Can you think of another cartoon character that is as famous as Mickey? Why is the character popular? Su Wukong. Because he can face every problem in his life and win at last.
2e Underline the following phrases in the
passage. Write your own sentences or questions using the phrases.
think of______________________________ come out _____________________________ one of the main reasons_________________ such as_______________________________ was ready to___________________________ Try his best____________________________
1.I like to find out what different people think
about a subject.
此句中的“ find out” 用作及物动词短语，
Please find out when the train leaves.
表示“寻找，找出等近义词还有“ look for ,
e.g. What are you looking for? 你在找什么？ （强调找的过程） 2) find vt. “找” 强调找的结果。 e.g. I looked for my book everywhere, but I didn’t find it. (结果是没找到）
1）look for “寻找”指有目的地找。强调“寻找”
2. What is your favorite cartoon? 你最喜欢的卡通片是什么？ “ what’ s your favorite…? 是用来询问对方 最喜爱事物是什么。其同义句为“ what… do you like best? 回答用: My favorite book is … 或是 I like …best. e.g. --what’s your favorite book? = what book do you like best? -- My favorite book is Snow White. 或是 I like Snow White best.
3. When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. 当人们提起文化时，我们就 会想到艺术和历史。 think of 有考虑；想起；有…想法；对…有 意见 等意思。在该句中应理解为“ 想起， 想到”。例如： Does the poem make you think of spring? 这首诗有没有让你想到春天？ How many stars can you think of? 你能想到多少明星？
4. When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. 当这部动画片于1928
年11月18 问世于纽约 时，它成为第一部带有音乐的动画片。 “ come out” 在本句中译为“ 出版” 引申为 “ 问世”。此外还有：出来，（花）开出来之意。 e.g. The book comes out this week. 该书本周上市。 Oh, look! The sun's coming out! 噢，看！太阳出来啦！
5. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. 一个主要原因是米奇看似一个普通人，但 他总是尝试应对任何危险。 one of …后跟可数名词复数，表示…之一。 其后的谓语动词用单数。 e.g. One of my favorite movies is Mr. Bean. 我最喜欢的电影之一是憨豆先生。 One of my best friends is Ann. 安是我最好的朋友之一。
6. However, he was always ready to try his best. 然而， 他总是做好尽全力的准备。 1) be ready to do sth 准备做某事 get ready to do sth 与之同义，但前者强 调状态，后者强调动作。 e.g. Are you ready to start? 你准备好了吗？ Please get ready to start. 请作好开始的准备。
2) Try one’s best 尽某人最大的努力
其后跟动词不定式形式，即： try one’s best
to do sth.
e.g. Don't give up. Just try your best.
Come on！Just try your best to let your dream come true. 加油！尽最大的努力去实现你的梦想吧。
7. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win.
人们去电影院是为了看这个“ 小人儿” 赢。
go to the cinema 也可译为“ 看电影”类似
go to movies
go to a movie
go to see a movie.
a movie an action movie Go to a comedy a documentary a thriller
a movie an action movie a comedy a documentary a thriller
8. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse.
此句中not so… as 结构表示“ 不像……那
It wasn’t so good as last time.
It is not so easy as you’d think.
9. She dresses up like a boy and takes her father’s place to fight in the army. 她女扮男装，替父上战场打仗。 1） dress up “盛装打扮、乔装打扮”。 e.g. I’d like you to dress up for my birthday party tonight. 今晚我希望你为我的生日派对打扮打扮。 Young kids often dress up and have fun at Halloween. 万圣节前夜，小孩子通常都 乔装打扮，玩得很开心。
2）take one’s place 取代某人的位置，顶替。 e.g. Nam believes that no one can take
Kin's place in her heart.
10. They did a good job in the movie. 他们在电影中表演出色。 do a good job 好好干；干得好; 干得出色 e.g. I'm sure you can do a better job next time. 我相信你下次会干得更好。 You've done a good job of i
? famous adj. 著名的， 出名的 famous同义词是well-known,反义词是unkown。 famous除了可以放在名词前作定语外还可以作表 语，常见以下结构： （1）be famous for表示某人以某种知识技能或特 征出名，或以某种特产而出名，意为 “因为…出 名” The area is famous for its green tea.这个地区以绿 茶而出名。
might与may辨析 ? might与may表可能性，有“或许、可能”之意可
? ? ? ? ?
以换用，但might表示较多的怀疑、更加不肯定、 语气更委婉。 He may/might be English.他可能是英国人。 They may/might have a lot of work to do.他们可能 有许多工作要做。 表示许可或征询对方许可时，疑问句常用may。 May I watch TV after supper?晚饭后我可以看电视 吗？ He said that I might use the telephone.他说我可以
Fill in the blanks in the movie review. Use the words in the box to help you.
阅读指导： 首先, 阅读短文, 整体把握短文大意。 其次,分析有空格的每个句子,判断空格处 的意思,联系所给单词,确定空格处应填的 单词。 最后,再通读一遍短文,看是否通顺合理。
fantastic shows action want comes from played about like exciting plan
Mulan is an ________ ______ movie. It exciting action ___________ an old Chinese story. The comes from movie is ______ a village girl, Mulan. She about dresses up like a boy and takes her father’s place to fight in the army. I think the actress _______ Mulan’s role well. played fantastic The other actors are also _________ and
they did a good job in the movie. I _____ Mulan very much. The movie like _______ her love for her family, shows friends and country. If you ______ to plan watch a movie this weekend and you ______ to see something enjoyable, want choose Mulan!
3b Write notes for your own movie review.
The name of the movie:___________
The kind of movie:___________
What the movie is about:___________ What you think of the movie / stars:___________
Write notes for your own movie review.
The name of the movie: ______________ The Lion King The kind of the movie: _______________ Cartoon What the movie is about: Simba’s father was the king. But his ___________________________________ uncle, Scar killed his father. When ___________________________________ Simba grew up, he came back to the ___________________________________ forest and became the true king. ___________________________________ What you think of the movie/star: ____________________ It was fantastic.
Write your movie review using 3c the notes in 3b.
e in the world. The movie is about a young lion, Simba. He was the prince of the forest. But his uncle Scar wanted to be the king. So he killed Simba’s father. When Simba grew up, he came back to the forest and had a big fight with his uncle. At last, Simba won and became the true king.
4 What do you and your partner think of these TV shows or movies? Write description words for each one.
me soap operas talent shows news sports shows game shows My partner
Comedies Scary movies Action movies Cartoons
1. 你喜欢什么样的电影? 喜剧。 What ____ of ________ do you like? kind movies I like comedies. 2. 他不喜欢京剧, 因为京剧太没意思了。 doesn’t He ______ like Beijing Opera, it boring because ___ is very _______.
3. 他是我最喜欢的演员, 我认为他很 出色。 He is my _______ actor. I ______ he favorite think great is ______. 4. 她认为喜剧很有趣, 所以经常和朋友 去看喜剧。 thinks She ________ comedies are very funny often goes ______, so she _____ ______ to see with comedies ______ her friends.
单项选择 1. What do you ________ do? B A. want B. want to C. like D. to like 2. My grandfather ________ stay ________ home C and watch TV. A. like, at B. like, in C. likes to, at D. likes to, in 3．________ kind of movies ________ Lucy like? A A．What, does B．What, do C．What’s, does D．Which, do
4．________ a word, we can learn a lot B ________ Chinese history.
A．For, for C．For, about B．In, about D．In, for
5. Gina likes action movies, ________ she doesn’t D
A．nineth C．the nineth
B．ninth D．the ninth
D 6. September is ________ month of the year.
7．I don’t like action movies. I think they’re ________. A A．boring C．interesting A．well B．difficult D．exciting B．thriller
8．— How is the new movie? — It is ________. D