1. Let's take a walk, ________? A. will we B. don't we C. do we D. shall we
2. He was a good swimmer so he ___ swim to the river bank .A. may B. might C. should D. was able to
3. I went to the doctor's yesterday, I had to wait for half an hour before he ___ see me.A. can B. May C. might D. Could
4. ---- ____ this book be yours? ---- No, it _____ not be mine. It ________ be his.
A. Can, must, may B. May, might, must C. Can, may, must D. Must, can, may
5. "We didn't see him at the lecture yesterday. ""He ____ it. "
A. mustn't attend B. can't have attended C. would have not attended D. needed have attended
6. Since the ground is white, it ____ last night.A. had snowed B. must have snowed C. must be snowing D. must have been snowing
7. ---- That must be a mistake. ---- No .it ___ be.A. can't B. isn't able to C. can D. was able to
8. He had known the matter before you told him, so you _____ have told it to him.A. mustn't B. can't C. needn't D. shouldn't
9. She is studying medical science now but she _____ a lawyer.A. used to be B. would be C. were D. had been
10. ---- Shall I tell John about it? ---- No, you ______. I've told him already. A. needn't B. wouldn't C.mustn't D. shouldn't
11. "Would you mind if I open the window?"―__________‖.A. I don't like it B. Yes .please C. No, please D. No. I'm sorry
12. "Would you like to go out for a walk?" "Yes, _____. " A. I'd like to B. I'd like C. I'll like to D. I would
13. ________ you succeed !A. Can B. May C. Must D. Will
14. Did he need ________ then?A. leave B. to leave C. leaving D. left
15.1 didn't hear the phone. I ____ asleep.A. must be B. must have been C. should have been D. could have been
16. "May I go now?" "No, you ________. "A. mustn't B. needn't C. mightn't D. won't
17. You ____ do the exercise if you don't want to.A. may not B. can't C. mustn't D. needn't
18. — Lisa hasn't lived here for long. She _____ know many people.A. needn’t B. can’t C. shouldn’t D. didn’t
19. — Isn’t that Ann’s husband over there ? — No, it _____ be him — I’m sure he doesn’t wear glasses.
A. can’t B. must not C. won’t D. may not
20. — I don’t mind telling you what I know. — You ____. I’m not asking you for it. A. mustn’t B. may not C. can’t D. needn’t
21. — Excuse me, Is this the right way to the Summer Palace ?— Sorry, I am not sure, but it _ be. A. might B. will C. Must D. can
22. You ______ be tired –you’ve only been working for an hour. A. must not B. won’t C. can’t D. may not
23. ---Shall I tell John about it? ---No, you ______. I’ve told him already. A. needn’t B. wouldn’t C. mustn’t D. shouldn’t
24. ---Why didn’t you come to see me? ---I ______, but I was too busy yesterday.
A. like to B. should like to C. would like to have D. am going to
25. ---Is John coming by air?---He should, but ___ not. He likes taking trains.A. must B. can C. need D. may
26. Jack, you _ play with the knife; you__ hurt yourself.A. won’t; can’t B. mustn’t; may C. shouldn’t; must D. can’t; should
27. I’ve decided to take the job and I __ change my mind.A. mustn’t B. can’t C. won’t D. may not
28. He began to write two hours ago. He ______ have finished the article now. A. must B. ought C. would D. had to