Look at following sentences, pay attention to the words in yellow.
Saying is one thing and doing another. 说是一回事,做是一回事。 Seeing is believing. 眼见为实。 Constant dripping wears away a stone. 水滴石穿，绳锯木断。 Reading enriches the mind. 开卷有益。
A bad beginning makes a bad ending. 不能善始者不能善终。 A man becomes learned by asking questions. 不耻下问才能有学问。
Verb-ing form as a noun
Functions of Verb-ing
?Swimming is good for your health. 那样谈话不礼貌。 Talking like that is not polite. 南方与北方开战了。 Fighting broke out between the South and the North.
arguing It’s no use/good _________ (argue) with him. It is great fun _______ (sail) a boat sailing
washing cleaning ? Her job is _______ (wash), ________ (clean), and_______ (take) care of the taking children.
? 我的工作是教英语。 My job is teaching English.
比较：She is taking care of the children.
? Object ?I love swimming in the area during the summer. turning Would you mind ______ (turn) down your radio a little, please?
I enjoy swimming in the big river.
The girls are all fond of dancing.
? after possessive pronoun Her swimming has improved since she started training every day.
I really appreciate your offering to help me. ? in compound nouns
There is a shoe in the swimming-pool.
The old man has to use a walking-stick.
1. 在admit, appreciate, avoid, consider, delay, dislike, enjoy, excuse, feel like, finish, forgive, give up, imagine, include, keep, mind, miss, practise, put off, risk, suggest, can’t stand等动词后，必须用动名词作 宾语，不能用不定式。
? My job doesn’t include making coffee for the boss.
2. 在allow, advise, forbid, permit等动词后 直接跟动词做宾语时，要用动名词；如 果有名词或代词做宾语，然后再跟动词 做宾语补足语，其宾语补足语用带to的 不定式。
? We don’t allow smoking here.
? We don’t allow students to smoke. ? Students are not allowed to smoke.
3.动词need, want, require 作“需要”之 意时，其后跟动词作它的宾语时，必 须用动名词形式，或不定式的被动式。 这时，动名词的主动式表示被动意义。 （主语不能做后面所说之事)
? My car need/wants/requires repairing.
4. We can use a verb-ing form or an infinitive after the following verbs, with little difference in meaning.
continue, prefer, begin, hate, like, start, love
5. Some verbs can be followed by a verb-ing form or a to-infinitive , but with some different in meaning or usage.
forget, regret, remember, mean, try, go on
forget + to-infinitive (an activity that has not been done) forget + verb-ing form (an action that has been
6. 有些短语后既可跟动名词也可跟不定式。 forget, stop, go on, mean, regret, remember, try, can’t help等。 to hand Please remember _______ (hand) in your homework tomorrow. locking He remembered ______ (lock) the door. He was not worried.
? He forgotto tell (tell) me the _____ news. So I didn’t know. ? He forgot _______ (tell) me the telling news. He told me again. ? When he saw me, he stopped to say _________ (say) hello to me. ? When he saw his mother, the baby stopped ______ (cry). crying
? It was raining hard, but he went on ________ (work) in the fields. working ? He went on _______ (do) another to do experiment. to improve ? He tried ___________ (improve) his appearance in order to get a part in the film. eating ? He tried _________ (eat) less to lose weight after he failed by running five kilometers a day.
? can’t help (to) do… 努力做… ? can’t help doing sth… 试试做… ? She can’t help _________ (clean) the to clean house because she’s busy making a cake. ? I can’t help ______ (carry) the box carry for you, as I’m too tired. crying ? I can’t help _________ (cry).
Some common phrases are used with verb-ing forms. Would you mind … …cannot help… …look forward to… …feel like… …cannot stand… …it is no use/ good… …put off… …keep on…
1. As a young fashion model, she was not yet used ____ in public. A. to be looked at B. to being looked at ____________________ C. being looked at D. to look at
2. I remember putting the bike in front of the building, but it is nowhere ____. _____________ A. to find B. to be found C. finding D. to be finding
3. He gave us some advice on how____ English. A. learning B. learned D. learn C. to learn
4. Mrs. Smith warned her husband ____ after drinking again and again. A. never to drive _________________ B. to never drive C. never driving D. never drive
5. To master a foreign language, ______. A. a lot of practice is needed B. it needs practice C. practice is in need of D. one needs a lot of practice 6. Eddie is said ____ a new computer program recently, but I don’t know when she will finish it. A. to design B. to be designing C. to have been designing D. to have designed
7. ---Do you have anything more ____, sir? ---No. You may have a rest or do something else. A. typing B. to be typed C. typed D. to type
8. They knew her very well. They had seen her____ up from childhood. B. grew A. grow C. was growing D. to grow
9. The murderer was brought in ,with his hands _____behind his back. A. being tied B. having tied D. tied
C. to be tied
D 10. Mark often attempts to escape ____ whenever he breaks traffic regulations. A. been fined B. to have been fined C. to be fined D. being fined
11. My wife said in her letter that she would appreciate ____ from you sometime. D A. to have heard B. to hear C. for hearing D. hearing 12. The thief took away the woman's wallet without____. A A. being seen B. s
eeing C. him seeing D. seeing him
C 13. People appreciate ____with him because he has a good sense of humor. A. to work B. to have worked C. working D. have working 14. I've enjoyed ____ to talk with you. B A. to be able B. being able C. to been able D. of being able
15. No one can avoid ____ by advertisements. B A. to be influenced B. being influenced C. influencing D. shavings influence
16. They are considering ____ before the C prices go up. A. of buying the house B. with buying the house C. buying the house D. to buy the house
C 17. He kept ____to his parents. A. putting off to write B. to put off to write C. putting off writing D. to put off writing
18. If I had remembered ____ the door, the A things would not have been stolen. A. to lock B. locking C. to have locked D. having locked
C 19. Your shirt needs ____. You'd better have it done today. A. iron B. to iron C. ironing D. being ironed
C 21. I haven’t got a chair _______. A. to sit B. for to sit on C. to sit on D. for sitting 22. When I handed the report to John, he said that George was the person__. C A. to send B. for sending it C. to send it to D. for sending it to
B 23. Let’s find a box _____. A. for us to put the box in it B. to put the books in C. to put the books in it D. to put the books
24. Because of air pollution being reduced, this city is still_____. c
A. a good place for living B. lived as a good place C. a good place to live in D. living in as a good place