Do you want to watch a game show?
What do these faces mean?
like don’t mind
don’t like can’t stand
What does Mark think of TV shows?
He loves them.
He likes them. He doesn’t like them. He doesn’t mind them. He can’t stand them.
What does he plan to watch?
He plans to watch sports shows.
Listen to Lin Hui and Sally’s conversation. Number the TV shows [1-5] in the order you hear them.
____ news 2 ____ talk shows 3
___ sitcoms 1 ___ game shows 4
___ soap operas 5
Listen again. Complete the sentences. 1. Sally likes to watch the news or talk shows ________________. 2. Lin Hui thinks she can learn ______ some ___________ from sitcoms. great jokes 3. Sally thinks ___________ are more game shows educational than sitcoms.
4. Sally loves __________. She plans to soap operas
watch Days of Our Past _______. tonight
Ask and answer questions about the TV shows in 2a. Use information that is true for you. Do you plan to watch the news tonight? Why?
Because I hope to find out what’s going on around the world. Yes. I like watching the news. I watch it every night.
Do you want to watch game shows?
Yes. I like watching game shows. I watch them three times a week.
Because I …
2c Ask and answer questions about the TV shows in 2a. Use information that is true for you.
A: Do you plan to watch the news tonight?
B: Yes, I like watching the news. I watch it
B: Because I hope to find out what’s going on
around the world.
1. educational adj. 教育的；有教育意义的 education (教育) + al → educational; 多 音节形容词，其比较级及最高级形式在 其前加more，most构成。 e.g. I think this movie is the most educational. 我认为这部电影最有教育意义。
2. plan v. & n. 打算; 计划
Do you plan to watch the news tonight?
plan vt. & vi.计划, 打算，常用搭配为 plan to do sth 计划做某事 plan 还可作名词，如：make plans 制定计划 according to plan 根据计划。 例如： I plan to go swimming tomorrow. It is better for you to make plans for your future.
3. hope v. & n. 希望
e.g. Don’t lose your hope! 不要灰心！ hope to do sth. 希望做某事 (能实现的理想)
e.g. They hope to take the plane to Beijing next year. 他们希望来年乘飞机去北京。
4. find out 查明; 弄清 (指通过调查、研究 等方式查明事情的真相) e.g. Did they find out where the old man lived? 他们查明那位老人住在哪里了吗？
辨析: find 意为“找到；发现”， 强调动作的结果。 e.g. Mr. Li found his lost keys in the library. 李老师在图书馆里找到了他丢失的钥匙。
Read the conversation and match the persons with their favourite shows. game shows and sports shows soap operas news and talk shows
What did you do in class today, …?
We had a discussion
about TV shows. …
1. discussion n. 讨论; 商量 动词 discuss (讨论) + ion→ discussion e.g. Let’s discuss who is the best performer. 让我们讨论一下谁是最好的表演者。 Did you have a discussion about the food and drinks? 他们讨论过食物和饮料的事了吗？
2. stand v. 忍受; 站立 e.g. Li Fei can stand on his head. 李飞会倒立。 My aunt can’t stand soap operas. 我姑姑不能忍受肥皂剧。 3. happen v. 发生; 出现 不及物动词，后面不能跟宾语，常用 “事情/事物 + happen +（状语）”句式。 e.g. The story happened in 1997. 故事发生在1997年。
4. may model v. 也许; 可以; 可能 “may + 动词原形”一起构成句子的谓语。 e.g. You may go by bike or take the subway. 你们可以骑自行车去或乘地铁去。 5. expect v. 预料; 期待 expect to do sth. 期盼做某事 e.g. Jack expects to visit his grandparents this weekend. 杰克期望周末去看望他的祖父母。
Don’t watch TV too much! It’s bad for your health and study
1. plan to …
3. find out … 5. sth. happen
2. hope to …
4. can’t stand … 6. expect to …