Unit 2 This year we are training more carefully.
1. Key vocabulary and structure: beat, careless, coach, train, practice, warm up, it gets dark earlier; this year we are training more carefully. 2. Reading aims: to skim the text on sports and understand its main idea. 3. Affection: to encourage students to make his favorite posters.
Words and expressions 打败;战胜 v. /bi:t/ beat
球迷(或影迷、歌迷) 俱乐部 v.
/?'genst/ (在比赛或战斗中)对… v. against
使暖和;使温暖 v. 热身；做准备活动 通常的;平常的 adj. 更好地 adv. 更好的 adj.
/'ɑ:ft?sku:l/下午放学后;课外的 adj. after-school /pli:zd/ /pɑ:s/ /'pIti/
开心的;满足的 adj. 传递;传送 v.
/'k?nfId?nt/ 自信的 adj.
1 Work in pairs. Talk about the pictures. Use the words and expressions in the box to help you. beat careless cheer…on coach fan club play against train
2 Read the passage and complete the table.
By Li Daming
It is Saturday tomorrow, but I am going to school. I am not going for lessons, but to play football. I am in our school team and we are going to play against another school next week. The practice starts at 10 am. We all arrive as early as we can so that we have time to warm up. We are training harder than usual because the other team beat us last year. This year we want to do better.
…更困难 It is more difficult to practise in winter because the days are short and the weather 天黑得更早 is cold too. It gets dark earlier, so it is important not to be…迟到 after-school late for practice.
Why is it more difficult to practice in winter? That’s because the days are short and the weather is cold.
? ? ? ?
play against as early as we can warm up train hard
? get dark earlier ? be late for
? the other team ? so that
与…对打 尽可能早地 热身 努力训练 天黑得更早 …迟到 另一个队 为的是
We get up early so that we can do better in study.
Our coach is pleased because we are playing better as a team now. Last year we were sometimes careless when we passed the ball and we lost to the other team in the final match. What a pity! This year we are training more carefully. That means we have a better chance of winning.
1.What happened last year?
2.What are they doing this year?
The fan club has fewer people this year. We hope to play well so that we have more fans to watch the matches. It is good to have our fans around. They cheer us on loudly and we feel
more confident to win t
what why 1. We arrive We have time to as early as we can __________________ warm up
2. We are training ________________ harder than usual 3. It is ____________ more difficult to practice in winter The other team beat us last year. The days are short and the weather is cold too.
4. Our coach is we are playing better pleased __________________ as a team now
3 Complete the passage with the words in the box.
against practice chance short coach usual
practice We all know (1)___________makes perfect. But it is more difficult to practise in winter because the days are (2) ________and it is cold. short
usual The team is training harder than (3)________.
coach Their (4)________ is pleased with them. They
are going to play (5) ________a team from against
another next week, and they have a good
(6) ________ of winning. chance
4 Put the words in the box into pairs with opposite meanings.
badly carefully early easy slowly well Sample: badly－well carefully carelessly early easy late difficult carelessly late difficult quickly
1.I am in our school team and we are going to
play against another school next week.
Germany will play against brazil in the world
cup final tonight.
We will fight against the enemy. 我们将与敌人交战。 against 的另一个意思为“反对”。；例如：
They are strongly against the idea.
Are you for or against my proposal?
2. …so that we have time to warm up.
so that 表示“以便”， 用来引导目的状语从句
e.g. Please turn the radio a bit so that grandpa
can hear clearly. 请把收音机调大点以便爷爷能听清楚。 We have moved to a place to my parents’ home so that we can visit them every day.
我们把家搬到离父母很近的地方，以便 每天 都能去看看他们。 Warm up 的意思是“热身”，做准备活动”。如 The runners are warming up before the race.
If you do not warm up before taking exercise, you may injure yourself. 如果运动之前不做准备活动，你可能会受伤。
3. That means we have a better chance of winning. 这意味着我们有更大的获胜机会。 have a chance of 表示“ 有……可能，有…… 希望”。例如： you will have a better chance of passing your exams if you work harder. 如果你再用功些，通过考试的可能性就更大。 if we hurry up, there’s still a good chance of catching the plane. 要是我们抓紧点，还有可能赶上飞机。
4. They cheer us on loudly and we feel more confident to win the game. 他们（球迷）大声地为我们加油欢呼，我 们感到更有信心赢得比赛了。 c
heer sb on 的意思是“ 为……加油”。如： People cheered their favorite player on. 人们为他们最喜爱的运动员喝彩加油。 They gathered round the swimming pool and cheered her on.
5 Complete the sentences so they are true for your school basketball team.
1 It is … and the basketball team… 2 The practice starts at …but they … 3 Late year… 4 This year… 5 The coach is pleased / is not pleased with them because… 6 So they now have a better / poor chance of …
You can use at that time/ yesterday/ last
week/last month/ last year… to talk about
what people did in the past; and use now/
today/ this week/ this month/ this year… to talk about what they do now.
Work in Paris
6 Add some more details about your school basketball team. Write a passage. Your
content can refer to the information in
It is Saturday morning and the school
basketball team is training hard.
适当形式填空 1.This car is____________(beautiful)than that one. more beatiful 2.Paul is__________________ (hard-working)than more hardworking his sister. 3.He is one of______________ (famous) singers the most famous in China. 4.I think that Titanic is _________(good) of the the best films. 5.It`s much ________(hard) to learn to drive than harder to learn to ride.
6. Where is ____________(near) bus stop? the nearest 7. He can draw as________ (good) as his father. well careful 8. Mary isn't as___________ (care) as Kate. 9.The weather today is even_________ (cold). colder more 10. Our city is becoming ______ and _______________(beautiful). more beautiful 11. Who runs___________ (fast) in your class? fastest
二、选择题 1. I think maths is _____ of all the subjects. A A. the most interesting B. more interesting C. so interesting D. the best interesting 2. The girl doesn’t run _____ the boy. D A. much faster as B. as fastest as C. more careful than D. so fast as 3. The young man drives _____ than he did D three months ago. A. much carefully B. much more careful C. much careful D. much more carefully
4. Don‘t worry too much. I am sure everything C is going on _____ with you． A. good B. fine C. well D. nice 5. ---Do they like him? ---Yes．He is ____ a kind man． D A. very B. so C. much D. such 6．---Mary won’t go shopping this afternoon. ---I won’t go _____ ． A A. either B. yet C. also D. too 7. ---What should I do if I don’t understand the C word? ---Look it ____ in a dictionary． A．at B．on C．up D．out
8. The meeting will be held in half an hour but they haven’t got everything ready __． C A．ever B．already C．yet D．still 9. Now the air in our hometown is ___ than D it was before．Something must be done． A. much better B. more worse C. more better D. much worse 10. Harry Potter is an ___ book for children, C but my cousin doesn’t seem at all__ in it． A．interesting；interesting B. interested；interested C. interesting
；interested D. interested；interesting
11. The car is running _____. It seems to D
A. more and faster
C. fast and fast
B. more and fast
D. faster and faster
12 ---I have three English dictionaries．
---I have nine. I have three times ______ you. B A. as much as C. as little as B. as many as D. 1ess than
Try to use comparative adjectives and adverbs form to describe the difference between two kinds of ball sports.