Nothing is more enjoyable than playing tennis
What are the names of the following sports?
Making a sports poster
1. Key vocabulary and structure: basketball, volleyball, boring, matter, hurt, plenty of. …watching is not a dangerous and it‘s more relaxing too. And staying at home was easier than going to the stadium. 2. Reading aims: to talk about the sports that one likes and give reasons, using comparatives. 3. Affection: to foster( 培养) students‘ interest in sports.
Words and expressions
/'beIs'b:?l/ /'v?li'b?:l/ /'b?:rI?/ /Ik'saItI? / /rI'l? ksI?/ /sk?:/ /?:l'redi/ /'m?t?/
烦人的；无聊的 adj. 令人激动的 adj.
令人愉悦的 adj. (体育比赛中)得(分)
baseball volleyball boring exciting relaxing v. score already matter
What‘s the matter?
(使)疼痛; (使)受伤 v.
Olympics stadium miss
/In'd??I?bl/ 有乐趣的 adj.
/?'lImpIks/ 奥林匹克运动会 n.
/'steIdi?m/ 体育场 n.
未击中;未达到 v. 介意;讨厌;反对 v. 大量;众多 pron.
Now match the words with the pictures.
volleyball table tennis
1 Listen and number the sports as you hear them.
baseball( 2 )
basketball ( 1 )
football( 3 )
tennis( 5 )
table tennis ( 6 )
volleyball( 4 )
2 Look at the sports in Activity 1 and talk about them. Use the words in the box to help you.
boring dangerous difficult easy exciting expensive popular relaxing safe
5 Complete the passage about yourself. Use the
words in Activity 1 to help you.
My favorite sport is (1) basketball And .
I enjoy watching (2) basketball matches I am .
quiet good at(3) playing basketball . I don‘t
like playing (4) football
. and I am not very
good at (5) playing football
Pronunciation and speaking
That‘s too bad! I‘m not sure about that. Bad luck. Never mind.
Then listen and read.
Daming: Hey, Tony. Come and watch the 过来观看 football match on TV! Tony: Ok. What‘s the score? 比分是多少？ Daming: Spain scored a minute ago. 一分钟前西班牙得分了。 Tony: Wow! That‘s fast! Daming: That‘s right! Last week the match on TV was so boring because no one scored at all. So this week‘s match is more exciting. 更激动人心
Betty: What‘s the matter with you, Tony? 你怎么了 You look tired. 看上去很累 Tony: I‘m really tired after last night‘s tennis match. And I hurt my knee. Daming: That‘s too bad! Sit down and watch the match. It‘s safer than playing tennis. Betty: Yes, watching is not dangerous and it‘s 更令人放松 more relaxing too! Tony: Well, I‘m not sure about that. Nothing is 不确定 more enjoyable than playing tennis. 没什么比
Betty: But you enjoyed watching the Olympics on TV, right?
Tony: Yes, but that‘s because it was cheaper
than buying tickets for all the games.
Daming: And staying at home was easier than 待在家
going to the stadium. Oh, look at that!
Tony: Oh, he missed! Oh, bad luck! 倒霉
Daming: Never mind. There‘s still plenty of 没关系 充足的
time for them to score.
Now check (√) the true sentences. 1 This week‘s match is more exciting than last week‘s. 2 Tony played table tennis yesterday. 3 For Tony, playing tennis is more exciting than watching matches on TV. 4 Watching the Olympics on TV was more expensive than buying tickets for the games. 5 Going to the stadium was more difficult than staying at home.
4 Complete the sentences with the words in the box. already miss hurt matter mind
matter 1. Why didn‘t Tony score? What is the_______ with him? mind 2. You lost the match? Never________. Maybe you will win next time. 3. I am not good at tennis. I always_______ miss the ball.
4. The match began 20 minutes ago and Spain
is________ winning. already
5. The 2008__________ were in Beijing. Olympics
6. Watching football at home is easier than
going to the_________. stadium
7. Tennis is a little dangerous because you may_________ your knee. hurt
( 二 )
short - shorter
big thin heavy
bigger thinner heavier
small - smaller
delicious – more delicious interesting – more interesting important— more important carefully---more carefully quickly---more quickly slowly---more slowly
easily--- more easily
原级、比较级、最高级。 一、形容词比较级的构成 1.构成的不规则变化: 2.构成的规则变化:
e.g. good / well – better – best bad / badly – worse – worst many / much – more – most little – less – least far – farther / further – farthest/ furthest
2. 构成的规则变化: 1) 单音节词和少数双音节词一般在词尾 后加-er 构成比较级 或-est构成最高级. 如：
cold –—— colder –—— coldest
bright——— brighter———brightest young—— younger—— youngest
2) 以字母 e 结尾的词只加 –r 或-st 构成 比较级和最高级。 原级 比较级 最高级
nice ——— nicer –——— nicest
fine——— finer———— finest
large —— larger ———— largest
时, 先双写这个辅音字母, 再加-er或-est。
如: big – bigger – biggest
thin – thinner – thinnest
4) 以“辅音字母+ y‖结尾的双音节词，
easy – easier – easiest
happy – happier – happiest
delicious – more delicious
– most delicious interesting – more interesting – most interesting important—more important —most important
carefully---more carefully--most carefully
quickly---more quickly ---most quickly
slowly---more slowly ---most slowly
easily--- more easily ---most easily
? 讲述两者有差异, 第一个人物超过第二个人 物时用比较级。 基本句型：主语(?A‘)+谓语动词+形容词/副词比
e.g. A modern train is faster than a car.
This book didn‘t cost me more than that one.
still, a little来修饰, 表示“??的多”,
―甚至??‖, ―更??‖, ―??一些”。
e.g. 1) This city is much more beautiful
2) She‘s a little more outgoing than me.
3) It‘s a little colder today.
3.―比较级＋and＋比较级”意为“越来 越??‖ 。多音节比较级用“more and more＋形容词原级”形式。如：
It‘s getting worse and worse.
The group became more and more
4. ―Which / Who is + 比较级…？”
Which T-shirt is nicer, this one or that one?
Who is more active, Mary or Kate?
Which one is more popular among students,
going to concerts or going to movies?
5. 使用形容词比较级时需注意以下几点： 1) than后面接代词时, 一般要用主格形式， 但在口语中也可使用宾格形式。 如： My brother is taller than I/me. 2) 当需要表示一方超过另一方的程度时， 可以用much, a lot, a little, a bit, even, still 等来修饰形容词比较级。注意: 比较级不 能用very, so, too, quite等修饰。如： He is much more serious than Sam. 3) 进行比较的人和物必须是同一类。 My books are more than yours. I have more books than you.
1.Hey, Tony. Come and watch the football match on TV! 嗨，托尼，过来在电视上看足球比赛
Come and watch 译为：来;来到
come and do sth 其相当于：come to do sth.
Come and look at the picture.
Come to look at the picture.
2. What‘s the score? --Spain scored a minute ago.
比分是多少？西班牙(队)一分钟前得分了。 在第一个句子中，score是名词，意思是“得 分，进球数”；第一个句子中的score是动词， 表示“得分，进球”。例如：
After two hours and twenty minutes of play,
the final score was 3:2. 经过两小时二十分钟的比赛，最终比分为三 比二。 arsenal scored in the last minute of the game.
3. What‘s the matter with you, Tony?
托尼，你怎么了？ 本句中的What‘s the matter with you？也可以 说成“What‘s the matter？ = what‘s wrong with you ? = what
‘s the trouble? = what‘s up? e.g. what‘s the trouble /matter with your face?
4. And I hurt my knee. 我把膝盖弄伤了。
hurt v. ―使受伤，伤害（身体） 动词过去式: hurt 过去分词: hurt 现在分词: hurting 第三人称单数: hurts hurt 还可以用作名词，译为“伤痛，痛苦” e.g. she felt down the stairs and hurt her leg. 他从楼上摔下来伤了腿。 I was full of jealousy and hurt. 我内心充满了嫉妒和痛苦。
5. Oh, he missed! Oh, bad luck! 噢，他没击中，真不走运！ miss 在此句中为动词：没击中，错过 动词过去式: missed 过去分词: missed
现在分词: missing a free throw.
e.g. He scored four of the baskets but missed 他4次投篮得分,可是一次罚篮却没中。
6. Never mind. There‘s still plenty of time for them to score. 1) never mind (1) 别人做事不成功或不顺意时，用来安慰 别人。意思是: 这算不了什么；没事； 如: ----We‘ve missed the train! 我们误了火车! ----Never mind; there will be another one in ten minutes. 没事儿, 十分钟后还有一班哪。
（2） 回答别人的道歉用语时用Never mind,相当 于It doesn‘t matter意思是 “没关系;这算不 了什么”如: I‘m sorry to have kept you waiting so long. 对不起,让你等了这么久. ----Never mind. 没关系.
（2）plenty of 表示：很多，许多，大量的 既可以用来修饰可数名词，又能修饰不可 数名词。 e.g. There is plenty of water in the bottle. 被子里有很多水。 Still, they have plenty of other weapons. 他们还有很多其他的武器。
6 Listen and notice how the speaker links the words.
1. Spain scored at a minute ago.
2. Last week the match on TV was so boring
because no one scored at all.
3. Oh, look at that.
Now listen again and repeat.
7 Work in pairs. Talk about the sports you like.
－ Hey, Bruce. Which sport do you like,
swimming or running? － I like swimming. It’s more relaxing than running.
old→ older young→ younger high→ higher light→ lighter sunny→ sunnier
fat→ fatter ugly→ uglier low→ lower
white→ whiter hot→ hotter
shorter 1. I‘m tall but my sister is ________(short). 2. My mother has long hair, and my sister has longer ________ (long) hair. more outgoing 3.This little baby is _________________ (outgoing) than that one.
4. In some ways we look the same, in some
different ways we look ____________(不同). quiet 5. Ann is a very ____________(安静的) girl, she hardly makes noise.
1. The twins ______ lovely girls. B A. are all B. are both C. both are 2. I like drawing and I am good _____ it. C A. in B. on C. at C 3. That box is _______ than others. A. more heavier B. heavy C. much heavier
4. She is three years _______ than I am. C A. old ____. A A. laugh B. laughing C. to laugh B. more old C
. older 5. I think a good friend should make me
6. Lucy is very short, but she is ___ than her sister. C A. shorter B. longer C. taller D. older 7. Frank is ____ friendly than his brother. A A. a little more B. a few more C. much D. a little C 8. Sam is ____at Chinese than Jim. A. good B. well C. better D. gooder
9. This one is too large. Can you show me a _____one? D
10. Do you think March is ____than January? A Yes, it’s __ warmer. A. better, a little C. worse, very B. well, much D. nicer, quite
11. -- Which of the caps will you take? --I‘ll take _______. one for my father the B other for my brother. A. neither B. both C. all (2010.长沙中考) D 12. Sam looks like his Dad. They are ______ tall. A. either B. any C. all D. both ( 2009.河北中考 )
13. There are many tall buildings on C ________ sides of the street. A. either B. all C. both (2008长沙中考 ) B 14. ___Lily ___ Lucy may go with you because one of them must stay at home. A. Not, but B. Neither, nor C. Both, and D. Either, or （中考真题）
Discuss with your classmates about your favorite sports and try to know more about the rules of the sports.