What are they? They are cartoon characters.
Say out the names of cartoon characters.
Choose the best answer.
1. The Olympic Games _________every four A years. A. are held B. were held C. are holding D. will hold 2. Today Chinese is becoming more and more popular. It ________ in many schools around D the world. A. teaches B. is teaching C. has taught D. is taught 3. —People find it hard to get across the river. —I think at least two bridges __________ D over it. A. need B. are needing C. will need D. are needed
Change the sentences into passive voice.
1. Many children like Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse is liked by many children. 2. Tom plants flowers in his garden. Flowers are planted in his garden by Tom.
1. English is also spoken as a second language _________ (语言) in many countries. 2. English is necessary for_________________ (交 communication 流) on the Internet. 3. I’m going to India on usiness b________. 4. Is Spanish s________ to English ? imilar 5. Disneyland is enjoyed by m illions ________ of people around the world.
Fill in the blanks using right forms of the words given. 1. All the students __________(ask) to bring a kite with were asked them last Sunday.
2. Must the old people ____________(speak) to politely? be spoken
3. A traffic accident__________(happen) just now. happened
There are many languages around the world. Which language is the most widely used?
English speaking countries
the United Kingdom
Canada the U.S.A.
Ireland Australia New Zealand
Is English spoken by the largest number of people in the world?
Chinese is spoken by the largest number of people in the world.
the international meeting =the international conference
Many people use English to communicate on the Internet
Many tourists visit China every year, English is widely used in tousism.
Where can you see and hear English?
some the world’s airline international matches
Ⅰ English is widely
used in our daily life.
Read and understand
Pre-reading questions: 1. Is English spoken by the largest number of people in the world? 2. When and where do you use English?
passage and do the exercise. 录音
Mark True or False.
1. English isn’t spoken in Germany. in the years to come. (T ) (T ) (T ) 2. English will be an important one to study
Ⅱ Listen to the
3. Among the languages in the world,
English is the most widely used.
More than 3000 languages are spoken in the world.
Over 400 million
speak English as their mother tongue.
Over 226 in the U.S.A. million 2. 300 million people speak English as their second language.
English is used
3. as a foreign language in Japan Germany France China
4. Two thirds of the scientists read in English. 5. About 200 million users of the Internet communicate in English.
Listen again a
nd fill in the blanks with the correct numbers and the countries.（录音）
Read the passage and find the topic sentence :影片
Of all of these languages, English is the most widely used.
Examples: 1. In the world over 400 million people speak English as their mother tongue. 2. Even though it is not the first or second language in many countries, such as Japan , Germany, France and China, it is also learned as a foreign language. 3. English is also widely used by the world’s airlines and international business.
What do the following numbers mean?
3 000 300 million
Two thirds 226 million
1b work alone
3 000 400 million More than 3 000 languages are spoken in the world. Over 400 million people speak English as their mother tongue. 226 million Over 226 million people speak English in the U.S.A. 300 million About 300 million people speak English as their second language. two thirds Two thirds of the world's scientists read in English.
200 million About 200 million users of the Internet communicate in English.
Language points: than 3000 languages are spoken in the world. 1. More
“超过,多于” +数词 eg: more than ten men 十多人. 比??更??,more后面跟n./多音节adj./adv. more … than …
more friends than you. Eg: I have __________________ more careful He is ___________________than Jim. (careful) 2. Recent studies show that over 400 million people speak 研究(n.) English as their mother tongue.
show sb. the way to 告诉某人去??的路
v. show n.
show sb. sth./ show sth. to sb. 出示某物给某人
fashion show / talk show / flower show
3.The United States has the largest number of English
speakers, over 226 million people.
※ the number of 意为“......的数量”，后接复数名词，但谓语要用单 数。 e.g.The number of the students is surprising.学生的数量是惊人的。 ※ a number of意为“许多......"，后接复数名词，谓语也要用复数。
e.g. A number of the students passed the exam.许多学生通过了这次考试。
3. even though it is not the first or second language in many countries, such as Japan, German, France China, it is also learned as a foreign langage.
Even though/ even if/ though/ although 都有 “虽然??但是”的含义，但不能同时用but. Eg. 1. Even though he’s very nice, I don’t really understand him. 2. Even if I fail, I will try. 4. And two thirds of the world’s scientists read in English.
Eg: 1. Three fifths of the students have passed the exam. 2. One fifth of the water comes from the underground
Listening test: （录音）
English is the most widely used international language _________ nowadays. It is spoken in many countries, not only in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia , ______ New Zealand, but also in ______ and many other places. I
ndia There are about 750 million English speakers in the world English is useful in many different ______ of life, such as fields business, tourism and technology. Business people use English at international conferences, and tourists speak English when they go ______. A knowledge of English abroad follow also helps us ______ television programs and enjoy interesting films. The English language plays an important part in our lives.
1. Preview the Section D. 2. Dicate the words of this SectionA,SectionB and SectionC of this Topic.