1. While we __________ (wait) for the bus, a girl __________ (run) up to us.
2. I __________ (telephone) a friend when Bob __________ (come) in.
3. Jim __________ (jump) on the bus as it __________ (move) away.
4. We __________ (test) the new machine when the electricity __________ (go) off.
5. She __________ (not want) to stay in bed while the others ________________ (all, work) in the fields.
6. While mother ________ (put) Cathy to bed, the door bell ________ (ring).
7. As I __________ (walk) in the park, it __________ (begin) to rain.
8. Even when she ___________ (be) a child she ________________ (already, think) of becoming a ballerina (芭蕾舞演员).
9. It was quite late at night. George __________ (read) and Amy __________ (ply) her needle when they __________ (hear) a knock at the door.
10. There __________ (be) a group round the fire when they __________ (reach) it. An old woman __________ (sit) on the ground near the kettle; two small children __________ (lie) near her; a donkey __________ (bend) his head over a tall girl.
11. I _____ (have) my breakfast at half past six yesterday morning.
12. Mary _____ (go) over her lessons from six to seven last night. John and peter ____(do) the same thing.
13. What _____ you ___ (do) at that time? We _____ (watch) TV.
14. Was your father at home yesterday evening? Yes ,he was. He _____ (listen) to the radio.
15. They _____(not make) a model ship when I saw him.
16. _____ they ____ (have) a meeting at 4 yesterday afternoon?
No, they _____. They _____ (clean) the classroom.
17. ______ it ______(rain) when you left school? Yes, it ____. (No, it ____)
18. What _____ your father _____ (do) when he was your age?
19. One day, Edison _____ (wait) for a train to arrive, and suddenly a little boy ran to the track(轨道) to play.
20. He asked me if I ______ (go) fishing that afternoon.
21. The three of them were in a hurry because their plane _____ (leave) in five minutes.
22. In a letter, john told us that he _____ (come) to china next month.
23. When the bell rang, jenny _____ (wait) in her seat.
24. She _____ (make) her dress the whole afternoon.
25. While my father ____ (look) through the evening paper, he suddenly ____ a cry.
26. When I ____ (come) in the room, he ____ (see) me, for he ____ (read) something
27. When we _____ (arrive) at the village, it _____ (get) dark and it _____ (rain) hard.
28. I _____ (know) you ____(wait) for me here.
29. One day a little monkey ____(play) in a tall tree. A mother crocodile(鳄鱼) ____ (look) for food near the bank.
30. What ____ your father ____ (do) yesterday evening? He ____ (study) at the evening school.
31. Later his parents found that he _____ (sit) on some eggs.
32. When he knocked at the door, my aunt ____ (cook)
33. The students ______ (sing) and ____ (dance) happily on the playground at that time.
34. I ____ (write) a letter when the door bell rang.
35. We had no classed at that time. We ____ (plant) trees.
1.I ______ cooked a meal when you _____ me.
a. cooked, were ringing b. was cooking, rang
c. was cooking, were ringing d. cooked, rang
2.He said he _____ to draw a plane on the blackboard at that time.
a. tries b. tried c. was trying d. will try
3.While she ______ TV, she ______ a sound outside the room.
a. was watching, was hearing b. watched, was hearing
c. watched, heard d. was watching, heard
4.They _____ a football game from 7 to 9 last night.
a. were watching b. watch c. watched d. are watching
5.What book ____ you ______ when I ____ you at four yesterday afternoon? a. did, read, was seeing b. did, read, saw
c. were, reading, saw d. were, reading, was seeing
6.It was Friday evening. Mr and Mrs. Green _____ ready to fly to England. a. are getting b. get c. were getting d. got
7.Lei Feng _____ always _____ of others when he ______ in the army.
a. is, thinking, was b. was, thinking, is c. did, think, is d. was, thinking, was
8.A girl ______ my pen fall off the table when she _____ me.
a. saw, passed b. was seeing, passed c. was seeing, passed d. was seeing, was passing
9.We ____ for tom at ten last Sunday. He often kept us ______.
a. were waiting, waiting b. were waiting, wait c. waited, waiting d. waited, wait
10.He ____ his father on the farm the whole afternoon last Saturday.
a. helps b. would help c. was helping d. is helping
11.While mother _______ some washing, I _____ a kite for Kate.
a. did, made b. was doing, made c. was doing, was making d. did, was making
12."_______ you angry then?" "they ______ too much noise."
a. are, were making b. were, were making c. are, made d. were, made
13.He ____ some cooking at that time, so _____ me
a. did, heard b. did, didn't hear c. was doing, heard d. was doing, didn't hear
14.This time yesterday jack _____ his bike. He _____ TV
a. repaired, didn't watch b. was repairing, watched c. repaired, watched d. was repairing, wasn't watching
15.His parents wanted to know how he _____ on with his new classmates. a. was getting b. gets c. is getting d. will get