– 辨认具体信息（在概要中辨认错误信息） – 回答推理问题 – 理解句子含义
– 了解并能讲述书的历史 – 掌握因果关系的表达方式
? 语言：掌握现在完成时的被动语态和情态 动词的被动语态
Module 4 (period 1)
? Around the world ? Read and introduce e-books
– – – – – When they first appeared How they look like Advantages Disadvantages Prospect
? Module task
– Passive voice is not a must in this task Design a chart.
Module 4 (period 2)
? Reading: good activities ? Suggestions: analyze the introduction of the text, there should an open ending (What do you think?) ? Collocation: discovery activity
– Create paper – Make/produce/print books – Receive/download/find/keep information
Module 4 (period3)
Pre-listening：改为discussion Language to practice:
Everyday English On a visit to Issues/copies of a magazine To charge the battery See to
Very good activities in Unit 1
Module 4 (period4)
? 增加展示活动 ? Find sentences that contain the following in Unit 1 and Unit 2 and tell their meanings
– Can/could be + ved – Have/has been + ved
– What should or shouldn’t be done to ensure the following?
? ? ? ? Computers work smoothly Save the badly wounded The students will not be infected with SARS Lose weight
? Read to find the following
– When paper was created – When the Internet appeared – How many objects are mentioned to show the use of paper
? Role play paper
– Suppose you were paper, can you tell class your life and how you feel faced with the Internet?
? This is my favorite room because you can do physics experiments. For example,… ? But you have to obey some rules as well. For example ? Practice: using examples to illustrate the following
– Paper books are better than e-books – Ordinary magazines are better than online magazines – Science museums are more popular than other museums
What inventions do you know?
What can you do with them?
save paper download new books
search for passages quickly
Read and do!
(“T” or “F”)
（F） 1.Nowadays E-books are very cheap. （T） 2.E-books are much quicker to search for passages than paper books. （T） 3.E-books will become more cheaper in the future. （F） 4.Most of people can afford E-books.
（T）5.E-books can save lots of paper.
Where is the speaker?
? a) In a library. ? b) In the British library. ? c) In the British museum.
1. why did it take a long time to produce a book in ancient times? 2. why do many old books have to be kept away form the public? 3. how has the invention of the computer helped to make these book easier for people to read? 4. how can the pages of a book on a computer be turned?
h can century colours dictionaries found invented knowledge page printed saw thought time until .
The history of printing
Wood-block printing was invented sometime between the fourth and the seventh century in China. The earliest book that we have was ______ printed _______in 868 and was found in Dunhuang cave. Wood - block time Printing took a long ______ because a new block was needed for page every ____ in a book. By the 11th century printed books could be found ______ all over China. They included books of Confucius’ thoughts,
dictionariesand book on mathematics.In 1340,books could be printed ______ , using two ________,black and red. colours Although __________the Chinese learnt about printing so early, printing was not introduced in other parts of the world for hundreds of years. It is _______ that when the great Italian traveller Marco thought saw Polo visited China in the 13th century , he ________ printed books. It is possible that Marco Polo brought that knowledge to _______ until Europe. But printed books did not come to Europe _______ 1450 invented when a German called Johann Gutenbery _______ a printing machine. Twenty-four years later, in 1474, an in Englishman called William Caxton printed the first printed book in English . His second book was about the game of chess. Caxton printed can about a hundred book, and some _____ still be found today in museums.
Which is better, E-book or paper book?
light ,quick-- expensive--cheap---slow---
Sally likes E-books \paper books better. Because they’re----.
Sally doesn’t E-books\paper books. Because---.
1.Write down the chart. 2.Preview period2.
3.Make some small inventions by yourself.
What can you do on Internet ?
shopping information chat with friends
Listen to the music
Can books be replaced by computers?
What does Tony think of it?
1.When was paper first created?
About 2,000 years ago.
2.Were books produced by hand or by machine at first?
3.When was printing developed?
At the beginning of the 11th century.
4.What can be kept on CD-ROM?
5.How are ideas spread today?
Today, the ideas spread quickly .
a) The world before books. b) The invention of printing. c) Life on paper and in print. d) Technology and books. e) Can books be replaced by computers?
(“T” or “F”)
(T) 1.Books could only be produced one at a time by hand in the past (F) 2. The writer doesn’t think that the books will be needed in
the future. (T) 3.Knowledge and ideas spread quickly after printing was invented. (F) 4. The printing was invented in Egypt. (F) 5. Lots of people could learn to read before 2,000 years ago. (T) 6. Paper has been made from silk ,cotton bamboo and wood. (F) 7. Computers can replace everything.
Can books be replaced by computers?
I will not be replaced by computers .Because-----.
I will replace paper books. Because-----.
1.Write the report on your exe
2.Finish activity6. 3.Make a survey “Can books be replaced by computers?” 4.Preview period3.
Printing and paper have been invented in China.
What other inventions do you know?
What should I take?
National Day is coming. I want to go traveling. I’d like to go to the mountains.
tent, tent , I will take a tent.
umbrella, umbrella, It’ a useful umbrella.
cell phone, cell phone, I need a cell phone. digital camera, digital camera, I like taking photos. Battery, battery, don’t forget the battery.
I have a friend, his name is Tony. He wants to borrow…? OK, now let’s listen!
1.What does Tony want to borrow? He wants to borrow a digital camera.
2.Who does he want to borrow from?
He wants to borrow it from his father.
3.Has he borrowed it ? Yes, he has.
Say True or False and correct the wrong information.
F 1.Tony wants to borrow his father’s digital camera because the school magazine is now going to be on paper.
F 2.Tony wants to take some photos of the school dance and the basketball match. F 3.Tony’s dad is happy to borrow the camera and tells Tony to turn it off.
F 4.He promises Tony to look after it.
1.How many issues of the school magazine have been published yet?
a. two b. three c. five
2.Where will it be published from now on?
a. On paper
c. on newspaper
b. on the school website.
3. Why don’t they use the ordinary magazine? a. Because paper is too expensive b. Because they have no paper. c. Because it’s too cheap. 4. What’s the advantage of an online magazine? a. Paper won’t be needed. b. It can be read on screen by everyone. c. All the above. 5. Where did we get information once? a. radio b. books c. internet
Answer the questions. 1.Why does Tony want to borrow his father’s digital camera? 2.Why does Tony’s dad ask “what’s wrong with an ordinary magazine? 3.Does Tony think books can be replaced by computer?
4.Where can we get information now? ( You can answer this question with your own opinion?)
5.How will Tony look after the camera?
1. I will do what you tell me to. 2. Why don’t you continue to publish the magazine on paper? 3. Could you do something for me? 4. Do you understand me? 5. It’s not a problem. I’ll charge the battery. 6. Changing the subject, will you lend me your camera?
a. Can I ask a favor?
b.Anyway, about the camera? c. It doesn’t matter. I’ll see to that.
d.What’s wrong with an ordinary magazine?
e. Promise! f. Is that clear?
Fill in blanks
Tony wants to borrow his father’s digital camera because he wants to take some photos on the school visit to the museum next week. It’s going to be an online magazine. If the magazine is online, paper won’t be needed. It’ll be published on the school website and it can be read on screen. Paper and printing have been used for ages, but now the same information can be re
ad or listened to on computers. Tony ‘s dad lends it to him and asks him to look after it.
① Work in groups, discuss the advantage and disadvantage of the invention you know. ② Give a report.
1.Ask your parents or your friends about their favorite inventions. 2. Write a passage about an invention.
Who invented it? It’s invented by Americans. When did it be invented? It is invented in 1946. What can it be used for…? It can be used for … How long has it been used?
It’s used for more than 50 years.
Have / has + been + 过去分词
Can / may /must /should …+ be + 过去分词
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words.
1. I think one day books may be replaced (replace) by computers 2. My bike has been left (leave) at school, so I have to take the bus to school today. 3. Paper should not be thrown (throw) away.
4. Books and CDs can be borrowed (borrow )from the library.
5. Has the pen be mended (mend ) yet? I need to write my article with it. 6. What have been turned on (turn on)? The radio?
Write complete sentences.
e.g. :this book / read / by everyone in my class
This book has been read by everyone in my class.
1. This book / discuss / on television
This book has been discussed on television.
2. It / buy / by thousands of people
It has been bought by thousands of people.
3. children / tell / to read this book
Children have been told to read this book.
4. the book / print / again and again
The book has been printed again and again.
Make as many sentences as you can by yourself.
Who has the best memory?
Complete the passage with the correct form of the words in the box.
develop introduce invent spread use write
From about 500 BC, pens were used for writing. The feather of large birds (1) were cleaned and dried. The point of each feather was sharpened. Then people used them to write with ink. Many famous works, such as Shakespeare’s plays, (2) were written with these pens. Then, in the 18th century, a pen with a steel writing point (3) was invented .Only a few words could (4) be written , however before the writer had to fill the pen with ink again. Many years later, the fountain pen (5) was developed from these early pens. In 1950, a European invented the ballpoint pen. The popularity of writing (6) spread quickly with the (7) production of the ballpoint pen. Even today, ballpoint pens are much less expensive, compared with fountain pens.
I can’t understand this passage. Who can translate it for me.
I’m Tom, I’m from London.
Invent produce read spread Internet get instead
印刷术在中国被发明。印刷术被发明之 后，书就被大量的生产出来了。越来越 多的人学会了读书。之后，知识和理念 很快就被传播开了。因此，越来越多的 发明被发明。现在
，很多信息都能在因 特网上被获取。但是，我认为书是不会 被因特网所代替的。中国人是伟大的。
1. Write down the translation. 2. Think of a small invention.(思考一 项小发明.) 3. Find some information about your favorite inventor.(找一些有关你 最喜爱发明家的信息.)
To realize the power of science. 科学的力量