Choose the best answer (选择最恰当的答案)
31. Though he is only five years old, he can make __________ bed himself.
A. the B. a C. an D. /
32. The bike isn’t mine. It belongs to __________.
A. Mary’s B. me C. his D. her
33. Though Jenny has made very __________ progress in her English, she won’t give it up easily.
A. few B. a few C. little D. a little
34. Lucy usually rides to school. However, she goes to school __________ his father's car when it rains.
A. on B. in C. by D. with
35. The detectives kept their eyes __________ so that they wouldn't miss any people entering the building.
A. opening B. opened C. open D. to open
36. -- Who is knocking at the door?
-- __________ must be Miss Liu.
A. She B. Her C. She's D. It
37. It's never a good idea to __________ before the exams.
A. get up B. turn up C. stay up D. take up
38. __________ water is needed after the earthquake happened.
A. A large number of B. A large amount of C. The amount of D. The number of
39. Mark Twain is a famous writer __________ wrote 'The adventures of Tom Sawyer.
A. which B. he C. / D. that
40. __________ Roddy __________ Peterson is busy at the moment. You'd better ask someone else.
A. Both...and B. Not only...but also C. Neither...nor D. Either...or
A. To say something briefly B. To tell you a short story
C. To cut a story D. To make a story
42. My parents often warn me __________ outside too late at night.
A. don't stay B. to not stay C. not stay D. not to stay
43. __________ great help he offered to us! We really appreciate it.
A. What B. What a C. How D. How a
44. The river is __________ so that none of us dares to jump into it.
A. 4-meter-deep B. 4-meters-deep C. 4 meters deep D. 4-meter deep
45. About __________ the students take part in the interview.
A. two hundred of B. two hundred C. hundreds of D. two hundreds Rewrite the following sentences as required (根据所给要求，改写下列句子。每空限填一词):
63. The old man realized that too much salt was harmful to health. (改为否定句) The old man _____ _____ that too much salt was harmful to health.
64. London held the first World Expo in 1851. (对划线部分提问)
______ did London ______ the first Word Expo?
65. Betty likes taking a bus to work. She likes taking an underground to work better.(合并句子)
Betty ______ taking an underground ______ taking a bus to work.
66. We publish our school newspaper twice a month. (改为被动语态)
Our school newspaper ______ _____ twice a month.
67. The poor child was so lucky that she received many books from Project Hope. (改为简单句)
The poor child was ______ ______ to receive many books from Project Hope.
Choose the words or expressions and complete the passage (选择最恰当的单词或词语完成短文)
It’s 3:00 a.m. Angela is ready to start the day at the family bakery. She has three children, and they all __86__ at the bakery. Vincent and his wife, Angela, are the owners of his family’s bakery.
Vincent’s father owned the bakery, and __87__ Vincent’s grandfather owned the bakery. Now, Vincent and Angela own and run the bakery.
__88__ in the family works in the bakery. The oldest daughter, Claire, decorates many of the special cakes. Maria is the ___89___ child. She works at the counter, and sometimes she makes cookies. Paul, the youngest, is 14, and he makes bread. Vincent says, “Paul has good hands for bread.” The whole family works in the bakery, but the children only work there before or after school.
The bakery is open from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every day except Monday. The bakery sells cookies, cakes, and bread. For special holidays, ___90___ Easter and Christmas, Vincent keeps the bakery open __91__ 6:00 p.m., and Angela always prepares fresh coffee for their customers.
Mr Martino is a regular customer. He visits the bakery every morning. He always buys the round loaf of bread with no butter. He says that it’s good. Mrs Salerno is __92__a regular customer. Every Friday, she buys two loaves of Italian bread and a large box of cookies. Her sir-year-old daughter, Laura, always gets one free cookie. Mrs Salerno says that Vincent’s bakery is the best in the area.
86. A) play B) study C) help D) eat
87. A) at last B) later on C) since then D) before that
88. A) Everyone B) Someone C) No one D) Only one
89. A) first B) middle C) only D) last
90. A) for example B) such as C) as well as D) in addition
91. A) after B) before C) at D) until
92. A) just B) still C) also D) even
Writing: An unforgettable trip