Lesson 77 A successful operation
A dead body that has been treated with special oils and wrapped in long narrow pieces of cloth to prevent it from decaying, especially in ancient Egypt.
last resin survive
The meeting lasts (for) three hours.
① vi. 显示，表明 prove +adj. prove +to be +adj. ② vt. 证明，证实 I will prove it to you. We’re been trying to sell our house, but it’s proved to be very difficult. You should first prove that you bought these goods here.
skin，leather and complexion
skin n. 人体的皮肤；指某人是什么颜色的皮肤（可与complexion互换） We are wet to the skin. He has a dark skin/complexion. leather n. 皮革 Shoes made of real leather have become very expensive. complexion n. 肤色 Look at her rosy cheeks. She has a lovely complexion.
1. They will go to the T _____ of Heaven Temple tomorrow. marks 2. Who made these dirty m _____ on my new book? 3. Many old people suffer from heart d _____ in America. disease 4. I shall p ____ to you that he is not telling the prove truth. figure 5. The central f ____ in the painting is the artist’s daughter. 6. Few houses in this city s _____survived storm. after the
Listen and then answer the following questions：
What has happened to the mummy of an Egyptian woman recently? Why did the doctor decided to operate on this mummy?
What did the doctor find during the operation?
Did the mummy survive the operation? The mummy has just had an operation. Because there are strange marks on the X-ray plates, the only way to find out whether the woman died of a rare disease was to operate. They found a small wax figure of the god Duamutef inside the mummy. Yes, it did.
The mummy _____ _____ Egyptian _____ _____ died in 800 B. C. _____ _____ had an operation. The mummy _____ _____ _____ Shepenmut who _____ _____ a singer _____ the Temple of Thebes. As _____ _____ strange marks _____ the X-ray plates _____ _____ the mummy, _____ _____ _____ trying to find out _____ _____ _____ died _____ _____ _____ disease. The only way_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ operate. The operation, _____ lasted _____ _____ _____ _____ , proved _____ _____ _____ difficult _____ _____ the hard resin _____ covered _____ _____ . _____ _____ removed a section _____ the mummy _____ sent _____ _____ a laboratory. _____ _____ found _____ _____ the X-ray plates _____ _____ show: _____ _____ wax figure _____ _____ _____ Duamutef. _____ god _____ _____ the head of a cow _____ _____ placed _____ a mummy. The doctors _____ _____ _____ decided _____ _____ _____ died. _____ feared _____ the mummy _____ fall to pieces _____ _____ cut _____ _____ , but fortunately _____ _____
_____ happened. _____ _____ successfully survived _____ _____ .
Now，Let’s go over the whole passage together!
1、The mummy of an Egyptian woman who died in 800 B.C. has just had an operation.
B.C. = Before Christ 公元前 A.D. = anno Domini 公元 (=in the year of the Lord =since Christ was born)放在年代前，可省略 定语从句修饰 “Egyptian Mummy
2、The mummy is that of Shepenmut who was once a . singer in the Temple of Thebes.
that指代上文当中出现的名词the mummy。在指代特指事物时， 尤其是在比较状语从句中，常用 that和those指代提到的事物： The texts of of Beijing are more difficult than those of The weatherBook Two is colder than Guangzhou. × Book 第二册书的练习题目比第一册书的难。 One. The weather of Beijing is colder than the weather of Guangzhou. 美国的地域比英国的大。 The area of the USA is larger than than that of Guangzhou. ∨ = The weather of Beijing is colder that of Britain.
3、As there were strange marks on the X-ray plates taken of the mummy, doctors have been trying to find out whether the woman died of a rare disease.
"X-ray plates taken of the mummy"， "take"过去分词作定语，本来的句子顺序 是 "X-ray plates of the mummy taken", 作者将句子顺序做了一下变通， 这样句 子就变得比较平衡；"have been trying to find out" 现在完成进行时，表明医生 们一直想弄清事情的真相；"this" 代指前句的不定式结构"to find out whether the woman died of a rare disease", 使用代词可以使文章更加连贯简洁。
take plates of sth. find out + 从句 die 是瞬间动词，不能和段时间连用。要和段时间连用，就必须变成系表结构be dead。He has died for three years. × die of + 内因 死于…… die of hunger die from + 外因 死于…… die from wound 给……拍片子；take photos of sth.给…拍照片
4. The operation, which lasted for over four hours, proved to be very difficult because of the hard resin which covered the skin.
5. The doctors removed a section of the mummy and sent it to a laboratory. 6. They also found something which the X-ray plates did not show: a small wax figure of the god Duamutef.
Duamutef 杜瓦木特夫，埃及神，荷鲁斯四子之一，死者胃的保护者。 wax
n. 蜡（不可数名词） All the figures in this shop are made of wax.
n. 蜡烛（可数名词） I keep a candle by my bed in case the lights go out suddenly.
7. This god which has the head of a cow was normally placed inside a mummy.
承接前文，对Duamutef作出具体解释。"normally", 指的是一般情况，按照一定 的习俗，把神像放在木乃伊里面。
8. The doctors have not yet decided how the woman died.
"not yet", 死因还是不明。 what 对名词提问，how对副词或介词短语提问
。 how在这里是对of sth.提问的。要想用what提问，died后面加of。
9. They feared that the mummy would fall to pieces when they cut it open, but fortunately this has not happened.
"feared", 医生们有些担心."fall to pieces", 支离破碎，毕竟是木乃伊，担心它会碎 成一片片也是很自然的。"this"代词， 指的是句子前面提到的"that the mummy would fall to pieces when they cut it open"。
During the storm, the old house fell to pieces. After two years their marriage fell to pieces.
10. The mummy successfully survived the operation.
The mummy of an Egyptian woman (1) died in 800 B.C. has just had an operation. The mummy is (2) of Shepenmut (3) was once a singer in the Temple of Thebes. (4) there were strange marks on the X-ray plates (5 take) of the mummy, doctors have been trying (6) find out whether the woman died of a rare disease (7) the only way to do this was (8) operate. The operation, (9) lasted for over four hours, proved to be very difficult (10) (11)the hard resin (12) covered the skin. The doctors removed a section of the mummy (13) sent it to a laboratory. They also found something (14) the X-ray plates did not show: a small wax figure of the god Duamutel. This god (15) has the head of a cow was normally placed inside a mummy. The doctors have not (16) decided how the woman died. They feared that the mummy would fall to piece (17) they cut it open, (18) fortunately this has not happened. The mummy successfully survived the operation.
答案： (1) who; (2) that; (3) who; (4) As//Since//Because; (5) taken; (6) to; (7) and; (8) to; (9) which; (10) because; (11) of; (12) which//that; (13) and; (14) that//which; (15) which; (16) yet; (17) when//if; (18) but
) it out to them, they said that they would speak to the owner about the problem. I ___6___ (live) in my new apartment for two months already, and so far I ___7___ (not hear) anything from your moving company. I’m getting angry because my table is still broken. I know that you have insurance. I ___8___ (use) your company before, and I ___9___ (recommend) your company to many of my friends. However, if you don’t fix my table, I’ll never use your company again. In addition, I’ll tell my friends that you don’t take responsibility for damage.
1. happened 2. carried 6. have been living 7. haven’t heard 3. dropped 8. have used 4. broke 5. pointed 9. have recommended
The operation proved to be very difficult. It lasted for over four hours.→ The operation, which lasted for over four hours, proved to be very difficult. 1. The sun heats the earth. It is very important to us.
2. Alice received an invitation from her boss. It came as a surprise. 3. I told the story to John. He later did it to his brother.
The sun ,which is very important to us, heats the earth.
4. He passed the exam. He hoped he would pass the exam.
He passed the exam, which he hoped he would pass.
5. His brother is a PLA man. He is eighteen years old. _____________________________________________________ 6. He is the man. You can turn to him for advice. _____________________________________________________ 7. The teachers decided to put off the meeting till next week. They won't be so busy next week. _____________________________________________________ 8. After graduation, I decided to stay in Chongqing. I spent my childhood and four years of college life in Chongqing. _____________________________________________________
1. 他告诉我他的母亲几天前死于心脏病。 He told me that his mother died of heart disease a few days ago. 2. 她对待孩子一直很耐心。这证明她是个好母亲。 She is always be patient with her children. It proves that she is a good mother. 3. 医生的职责是治疗疾病。 Doctor’s duty is to cure diseases. 4. 很多鸟死于这次严冬。 Many birds didn’t survive the severe winter. 5. 抗日战争持续了约8年时间。 The anti-Japanese war lasted about eight years.
B 1. The teacher took out a card ____ the names of his students. A.written by B. marked with C. marked by D. written with 2. Some skin ____C difficult to treat. is A. trouble B. illness C. disease D. sickness D 3. The doctor needs to operate ____ his eyes. A. in B. to C. with D. on 4. To everyone’s surprise, his farther died ____ wound. A A. from B. in C. of D. for 5. The only way ____ this was to operate. A. Do B. to do B C. doing D. done
6. I went to school at 7:00 after I ____ D breakfast my yesterday. A. have B. had C. have had D. had had 7. The texts of Book Two are more difficult than ____D of Book On
e. A. this B. that C. these D. those B 8. The doctors have not yet decided ____ the woman died of. A. which B. what C. howD. why 9. She failed in the exam again, ____C made her mother very angry. A. what B. whoC. which D. whom 10. Albert Einstein left Germany for the United States during World War II, ____ Jews were badly treated in A Germany. A. when B. which C. where D. what