To recognize and understand how to use “can” and “could” to express the ability and the possibility in the present and past.
1. 用can 和could各造一个句子。
can: could: 2.预习P82-P84内容，翻译下列短语。
1). 划船 2). 骑车3). 打羽毛球 4). 放风筝5). 努力地练习 6). 去滑雪 7). 有我们的球拍 8). 忘记带来足球
Step 1 Warming up
1. Make a survey: “What can you do now?”
T: Can you ride a bike / swim / fly a kite / play football / play chess? S: Yes, I can. / No, I can’t.
Then ask the others: Can she / he …?
2. Say the whole sentences: e.g. Student A can ride a bike. He can’t / cannot swim.… (Write them down on the blackboard.)
Get the students to repeat and talk about student B like above:
3. Work in pairs: Ask the partner more questions like above and write down their answers, then report to the class.
Step 2 Presentation
1. Ask student A and B again: Could you ride a bike five years ago?
(Help them answer: Yes, I could./ No, I couldn’t.)
2. Get the students to ask the teacher about the past of Student A and B.
Could he / she …? (Yes, he / she could. / No, he / she couldn’t.)
3. Say sentences: Student A could ride a bike five years ago. He couldn’t swim five years ago. (The same as B)
4. Use “could” to ask the partner the same questions about the past, then repeat.
Step 3 Practice
1. Work alone about Part A1 on P82)
2. Get the students to report themselves like above.
3. Talk about the tables freely in pairs.
4. Complete the conversation of Part A2 on P83.
5. Explain that we can use “am (is, are) able to “ instead of “can” and “was (were) able to” instead of “could“.
Step 4 Presentation
1. T: ① Zhang Hua works hard. It is possible for him to pass the exam.
(He can pass the exam)
② Nick didn’t bring a football to school. It is not possible for us to play football. (We can’t play football.)
③ It was sunny last Sunday. It was possible for the children to go to the park.
(The children could go to the park)
④ Millie had no money yesterday. It was not possible for her to buy that coat.
(She couldn’t buy that coat.)
2. Show the above sentences on the screen and explain them to the students:
We use “can” / “could” to say that something is / was possible to happen.
3. Get the students to explain with “possible”.
① Fire can be dangerous if we are not careful.
② Mr. Sun can’t be at home because I saw him at school just now.
③ I didn’t lose my key so I could get in.
④ Mr. Sun could not get out because he hurt his leg.
Step 5 Practice
1. Fill in the blanks in Part B on P84.
2. Work in pairs to talk about something that can / could / can’t / couldn’t happen.
3. Report to the class.
4. Explain: If we think something is sure to happen, We’d better use “must”.
e.g. I saw Mr Yang in the library a moment ago. He must be in the school now.
(Get the students to give more examples)
Step 6 Extension
1. Make up a dialogue between Jim and the headmaster according to the following hints. Jim wants to apply for (应聘) an English teacher. Here is his brief introduction:
Experience: taught Chinese and English in No.3 Middle School.
played football in the school team.
Abilities: drawing, singing , playing with computers.
Inabilities: dancing, teaching other subjects, such as maths, play volleyball (now forgot)
2. Write a letter to your friend and tell him / her about what you have learned since (自从…以来) you came to secondary school.
Step 7 Homework
1. Read and recite the new words, phrases and sentences.
2. Finish off other excises.
1. Did you r____________ a boat yesterday?
2. It always ____________ （下雪）in winter in northern China.
3. Do you like to go skating or s____________ in winter?
4. They are my ____________（球拍）. But you can use them.
5. Please don’t f____________ (not remember) to bring your homework here.
二、选用can, can’t, could或couldn’t填空。
1. A: __________ you play football when you were 5 years old, Simon?
B: No, I __________. But now I __________ play it very well.
2. A: __________ Lucy send e-mails now?
B: Yes, she __________.
3. It will be cold tomorrow, so we __________ wear T-shirts, we must wear more clothes.
4. A: __________ Bill use a computer 3 years ago? B: Yes, he__________.
5. A: __________ I borrow some money from you?
B: Sorry, you__________. I have no money with me now!
6. I’m busy now. I __________ help you with your English, but I 7. He was weak in English, and __________ understand the story.
8. They __________ ride bikes now, but two years ago, they __________.
9. It was sunny last Sunday. We __________ have a picnic.
10. Fire __________ be dangerous if we are not careful.
1. Kitty 过去不会跳舞，但现在她跳得很好。
Kitty _____________________________________, but now she .
2. A: Millie 去年会游泳吗？ B：是的，她会。
A: Millie ____________________ ? B: Yes, _______________.
3. Eddie 会飞吗？不，它不会。
Eddie ______________? No, it __________.
Fire _______________________ if we .
It _______________________________ in Guangzhou, you .